What is an SJW Game?

I have been lurking arround Veeky Forums for a while now and I have encountered many games that the fa/tg/uys tend to call "SJW trash".

I am not from America, where I live we have no SJWs (or at least, they don't have a big hold of the attention), so I don't really understand completelly the concept...

What makes a game "SJW trash"?

Other urls found in this thread:

index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=16543
youtube.com/watch?v=K23DBDOeEwM
youtube.com/watch?v=HS63i2veU90
pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Amber_E._Scott
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Usually World of Darkness stuff, though the real thing is out there and is terrible.

Non-american comrade, remember that there are about 1000 digital complainers for every digital SJW out there. I think. I have yet to find an actual SJW. It seems more like a boogeyman than a concept.

In real life, you get a lot of "what?", "huh?" and "that facebook thing?".

The complainers seriously annoy me more.

Eh, it's Veeky Forums so one guy's definition of "SJW" is going to be very different from another guy's definition of SJW.

That said, generally an "SJW game" is a game that's either backpedaled on their designs due to external social criticism, or some kind of publicity stunt with the intent of virtue signaling.

In terms of actual "SJW" games, all I can think of is that weird rape roleplaying game. Not FATAL, like some actual "Let's RP a gangrape and make everyone feel bad" rape PRG.

Wait what, that exist? Is that real?

>he doesn't Gangrape

Oh trust me, they are there. They are not half as numerous as the complainers may make you believe but, they ARE there.

> An American freeform game for four players and a faciliatator about hereditary breast cancer, and is available for free download.

Let's have an angst party where we play a game to show how much we sympathise with breast cancer sufferers instead of donating money, doing charity or anything else actually useful. It won't even be a fun game because the premise is essentially based on making people feel terrible about something inevitable.

Yes. It's a game where it's literally against the rules to have fun

It's also unironically made by Swedes.

Unfortunately yes.
index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=16543

>those games
Do people actually play these? And if they do play them, do they ever play them more than once? Who are these even for? I'm extremely skeptical these ever get played. I can only imagine them getting skimmed over by a landwhale with a dyed undercut while xhe nods in approval without ever actually playing any of them.

I'm also extremely skeptical any of those games are actually fun.

Also, fucking lol at "larpwright" holy fucking shit

Okay I'll trust you. WHERE are they? Are they numerous enough to do not count as a statistical error in some research?

They seem more like something you'd do at a support group.

Any support group that would look to shit like this for material is no support group I would ever want to be part of. Just give me some fucking booze, it would be more effective than that garbage.

American here. Been out of the loop for a few years. What SJW games?

Both the game's premise and mechanics are designed with the purpose of getting the players to learn some kind of lesson/persuade the players of the rightness of the ideals of the identitarian left. The games are often freeform or rules-light because there was a lot of overlap between that goal and designers involved in the old Forge RPG design forums, which pushed rules-light, mechanics-and-premise-focused games as its major design philosophy.

The games tend to be either one-off events meant for very brief play or very short campaigns of a few months or 8-12 sessions at most.

Only a tiny tiny fraction of the population are SJWs they are just vocal. Like you said there are about 1000 digital complainers for every digital SJW out there. In Real life there is like 1000 uncaring person for every complainer and 1000000 uncaring people for every SJW.

>very short campaigns of a few months or 8-12 sessions at most.
This is being extremely generous.

Can game be ironically made by Swedes? I mean, Swedes can make things ironically, I assume, but can you be from Sweden ironically, and then make a game?

True. I think 5-6 is the more likely maximum for most groups, but 8-12 is what I've heard as the outlying maximum for what groups I know that play these. It's probably like dicksize - exaggerated for effect.

They're almost certainly talking about the new World of Darkness stuff. Nothing else is even popular enough for anyone to complain about, while WOD has lots of fans who aren't so happy about agenda-pushing getting in the way of fun.

WOD has absorbed so much SJW shit because it was already SJW-friendly to start with. Not that it was even slightly an SJW game, just because freakishness and alt-lifestyles were fine in the game. So was being a literal Nazi werewolf, which a lot of people have noticed seems to be really popular for some reason. So was being an ecoterrorist wolf, which was what the game was designed for.

It's really just always been *fringe-friendly*. Doesn't matter what kind of fringe. Any kind of unusual ideology, any kind of nutty conspiracy theory, you might be able to fit some vamps in there. If you want all the big players in every war to be backed by magical practitioners instead, we can do that instead. Aliens can be things from an alternate magical plane of existence, or misinterpreted visitations by some Fay.

The latest wave of SJW politics is just divisive, is the thing. WOD has always not cared and just let everybody play around in a world gone wrong. The latest changes to the WOD have been designed to scare off everybody but the most tone-deaf SJWs.

That's everybody only real problem with them.

Usually just on US college campuses. Mostly around the sociology and humanities departments.

SJW's only exist in a sytem with so much excess that people dont have enough things to hate/resent/fight against

"SJW trash" is just shorthand for "game I don't like".

I go to university in Toronto and can confirm that they exist.

Mostly they're either heavily narrative and pretentious "Directed" experiences meant to force you into a specific dogma, or poorly designed games that do much the same.

For example, there's "Free Market" which tried to extoll the virtues of an post-capitalist society... by making a capitalist popularity-token economy.

Some games attract GMs that focus on similar campaigns in more general settings. This is an area so large and diffuse as to be useless for the purpose of discussion however.

Don't worry I got ya

Just go to /co/.

>facilitator

What the fuck?

They'll probably have referred to something like Dungeons and Dragons 5e or Starfinder as an "sjw game" purely because they have brown people in the box art or because certain alien races don't have strict gender roles

I went to college in good ol' hippy heaven California. I rarely saw any of the SJWs that certain people go apeshit over, even in those departments. I don't exactly go looking for them, but they've never been all that big, noisy, or nosy. The only two occasions I recall are a couple young tumblr brats in my Star Trek class that would make talk a bit about it before class started, and even they kept to themselves. Other than that, zilch. They've never been all that big. ESPECIALLY in my gaming groups from back then, unless a few dudes and chicks making Monty Python references suddenly count as SJW now. Current group doesn't have any problems like that either. and are right.

That one game with witches fighting the patriarchy, you know the one. The author's TF fetish was really obvious.

Also commiefornia here. I think it's a bit muted here because we are legitimately diverse, at least around here. Try Seattle or Portland if you want the garbage bin.

There is no conspiracy to make traditional games politically correct. Characters in fiction and gaming communities simply change with respect to the latest cultural values. But you fedora-tipping cancerous fucks always blame imaginary SocJus boogeymen when people start hating you for the shit that you do. As long as you continue to refuse act like decent human beings, people will keep noticing.

But of course, you will keep blaming imaginary "SJWs", "poseurs" and "normies" when you the public hates you for the scum you are. And let's not even get started on how you all react to games becoming more popular and easily accessible.

Wasn't there a reference to Vivian James in WoD?

>/co/
>SJW
Ask them about Marvel comics and shit like [Unsolicited opinions on Israel???]. The only reason they aren't completely livid is because they know Marvel is suffering as a result, and Marvel will either have to stop that shit or continue to lose.
Then again maybe I need to lurk /co/ moar.

And yet so many people bend over to them. Probably because said people feel that the Alt-Right is so bad that they are willing to let any idiot fight against them, even if there is a good chance of backfiring. Alternatively, it could be that most people are thinking "this person is nuts", but they are too afraid to criticize out of fear of being labeled a bigot.
Of course, there is also the fact that people online act different from real life. That bloke from accounting might be a shitposter from /pol/, but in real life you might not even find anything that suggests /pol/ack material, at least not without nitpicking.

I've never encountered an SJW in real life, at least nothing recognizable as the /pol/ caricature of them.

I'll say that my experience may skew a bit because I'm down in San Diego, we're slightly less Commie than the rest of the state, but the point stands. It's "muted" because there just aren't as many of them as some people seem to think there are, especially among gaming groups.

Oh, people do overstate their numbers, especially here on Veeky Forums. But I've seen enough of them in fucking Seattle that I won't deny their existence either. I don't think I've ever seen one in the SF Bay zone outside of SF proper, and I lend that to
a) the area's actually very diverse, and the typical "sjw" gives the impression that they have never met anyone who wasn't white (except, maybe, as a hired servant)
b) the area is pretty much solidly leftist, and thus they have nothing local to organize against/scream about

So you can upload a multiple page .pdf as an image on Veeky Forums?
>You learn something new every day

any game that adresses the reader/gamemaster as 'she'

Some boards just allow pdf upload. Veeky Forums is one of them. No copyrighted shit.

wow

>ctrl+f bellum maga
>0 results
Veeky Forums, i am dis... ah, whatever

Are you an egalitarian who believes racial differences are a myth, men and women are equal at everything, and gender is not biologically determined?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you are the SJW people complain about.

>Star Trek class
U wot m8?

Sounds to me like you missed the point of Freemarket.

The name is a reference to 'marketplace of ideas', not the literal free market. It's almost a horror-game - it's about living in a society where the only currency is people's opinion of each other and the only thing worth more is living space, so it's ruled by populists and everyone is desperate to create the next new 'big idea'.

People have to put on a happy face because otherwise your social capital plummets for being a downer.

It's been mentioned, but not by name. See Speaking of, I'm still not exactly convinced the whole thing isn't irony and the writers very sneakily made the players play as the BBEG. It's kinda like RaHoWa but with more effort put into cover.

Can confirm that they do exist. One was in a game I was running with some friends. She was actually quite cute in a tomboyish fashion and had some pretty cool character ideas. She threw an huge fit however when my friends little sister offhandedly referred to something as gay and started cussing out and blaming my friend for allowing that kind of talk as if he had any control over his younger sibling. She refused to join any more of our games and quite frankly good riddance. We were better off without that shit.

Okay cool, thanks for the heads up

Yeah, like, I know they're out there. But I'm more likely to run into Greenpeace kids trying to get me to sign petitions than any of them. My gaming groups especially have never had any encounters with them. Have yours?

It was actually an American History class, analyzing it through the changes in pop culture. Biggest part of it was Star Trek because the professor's a huge Trekkie, but branched out into other shows, books, and series through the 60s onward, usually sci-fi. Was fuckin' great even if the papers were graded really strictly, we'd often watch an episode of TOS or TNG in class, with some DS9 and Voyager (and only one ENT episode, thank god).

RPG.net is full of them.

I have a faggot (he likea boys) SJW at my local game store for FNM. Me and a friend had him shaking with tears in his eyes as he told us all about our privledges. We were just talking about niggers, kikes, and fags. Chill dude.

I also work with an SJW woman. Who has told me im a white privledged male. Im actually native american but she told me I was white so... guess Im white. She also has no problem saying my heart is full of hate because I dont trust immigrants or really think we should be involved in their shit and she has no problem telling me how terrible I am cause Im a man and how shes the superior femminist.... then she went and blew this guy I work with and we all laughed

Why would anyone do this?

What heaven country do you live in where there are no faggots like that? They're in every western country in more or lesser numbers.

In my country they're teaching in high schools (and probably in colleges too) that Hannibal, Cleopatra, Julius Caesar and some others were full Congolese black and that it's racist to say otherwise, so yeah, SJW exist

White Wolf did it to be different. Some games do it so you can more easily tell the GM and player bits apart in the examples (GM is female, player is male, or vice versa). Some games (PF and maybe 3.X) use the pronoun that matches the gender of the class's Iconic Character.

Go to rpg.net, you'll find a ton.

Beast: The Primordial is the epitome of ruining a game with SJW ideology.

Especially ironic since that was the intent but they made it turn around on themselves.

I guess, it makes a tiny bit of sense. Thanks.

I did, a single one and to the point I thought he was acting, later his friends told me he was always like that.

He will defend any cause (in my country SJW were called decades ago defenders of lost causes or basically people who get angry abpit stuff nobody cares or insignificant stuff) this dude will always try to shame you over the life you live, or choices you make, will always tell you how progressive and inclusive he's, doesn't have a job because capitalism is evil, he of course wears specs without glasses, colored hair, tons of tattoos, etc. Thank god they're aren't that numerous because goddamn he's scum

>(and only one ENT episode, thank god)
my condolonces for when he puts on discovery

Not op but I live in Denmark and you would be hard pressed to find sjw where I live

SJW hate egalitarians, they call themselves feminists

Nobody likes Discovery.

>explaining the joke
yes

>be swedish
>new game comes out
>tfw it uses xir pronouns and shit

From Mage the Ascension 20th Anniversary

Urban Shadows, right after the basic game rundown.

The worst part of this is that the text itself says "these parts of the game are apolitical metaphors for that stuff", so then why are you telling people to double up on this?

How about this one?

How can someone even write this shit into an RPG and not book a meeting with incoming traffic?

You're not allowed to be a Swede unless it's ironically. Anybody caught honestly enjoying being a Swede is instantly deported.

That's just say "don't be an asshole".

>Citation needed

> You have a special X-card to raise when someone is twiggewed so you can change current ingame events to something else without asking to avoid it
> PCs and their allies are diverse in SJW sense (no Australian Aboriginals in your ancient Norway? Bigot!)
> Player group also has to be diverse.
> Evil guys are white cisgender heterosexuals at the same time.
> Identity politics is an important issue in any setting

If it was it wouldn't need a full page to do it

Am I missing something? That seems perfectly reasonable.

The number of "that guy" thread on Veeky Forums make me think otherwise.

>urban shamans
How does that even work

Isn't the point of Paranoia that it is uncomfortable?

>that end
Wew lad

This

youtube.com/watch?v=K23DBDOeEwM
youtube.com/watch?v=HS63i2veU90

>Isn't the point of Paranoia that it is uncomfortable?
Yes, but not in a "oh god why am I spending my free time with assholes" way.

Where is this from? If that's buried in a rulebook or something then yeah, that's kind of a dumb tangent to go on.
But that looks like the first page of a short article, and as that it seems interesting enough.

But why? I don't get the point of this.
This seems to have a clear anti-rape message, right? And it's clearly made not for 'fun' but to 'teach', right?
BUT
The way i see it the only possible change in attitude coming after playing it is an increase in rape fantasies.

>I am sorry, but we don't enforce the patriarchal ideal of primogenitural rule in our household.

pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Amber_E._Scott - the author, as it seems.
Page 25

>Only women can be rape victims
>Only men can be rapist

Well, there goes using that for any prison shower scene.

The rules seem to be based on making the participants as absolutely uncomfortable as possible. And it's pretty damn good at it too.

Only game that made me wince more was the one about living in a prison that also doubled as some kind of weirdo cannibal butcher factory. And one of the players could be "the Pig" and that carried benefits, but their character was at risk of getting slaughtered.

that's framed in an apolitical manner, so it's okay with me.

I'm sure that you can houserule it just like any system.

Seems pretty neat. Thanks.

Yeah, but it's kind of shitty that it's in the rules at all, you know? Smacks of a really twisted worldview, even given the game's content.

>have some people over for a game
>know some of them are SJW so I chill with anything provocative
>guy at my computer handling music for the game
>starts scanning my tabs and youtube recommends
>probably thinks I'm not looking
>tfw I'm just watching this guy scroll and scroll

He didn't find shit, but still.

I imagine you gotta have a twisted worldview to make "Gang Rape the RPG"

Not really. At first sight it might seem reasonable, as the author argues it from the perspective of a tighly knit group of friends. But as the author states, friends know their boundaries and what is acceptable within their group. So the point is moot. But at the end it veers to the point the author is actually making: "to make your gaming table a safe, welcoming and considerate space". Which is the typical PC argument, and the idea that if you arent PC at all times makes you a jerk is a very typical PC argument as well. In the end it's trying to macro manage human interactions without taking into account the group dynamics, and what is okay between friends.

The main problem on /co/ is that people who come from board like /v/, /pol/ or /tv/ call you a SJW if you aren't as offended as them by thing like [Unsolicited opinions on Israel???].

This might read a bit pretentious (or rather steeped in jargon) but this opening seems nor particularly objectionable.
and reading it i can't really see anything wrong with it.

>But at the end it veers to the point the author is actually making: "to make your gaming table a safe, welcoming and considerate space".
That's not veering, that was the point all along. The GAME might be uncomfortable yet fun, but if the people playing them game are uncomfortable to be around then people are just going to leave and not come back.

>Which is the typical PC argument, and the idea that if you arent PC at all times makes you a jerk is a very typical PC argument as well.
What does that mean?

>In the end it's trying to macro manage human interactions without taking into account the group dynamics, and what is okay between friends.
It's clearly written as advice, and explicitly says it's most applicable to people who DON'T know each other that well.