a shape-shifting evil spirit has assumed the identity of a student at a school of magic

> a shape-shifting evil spirit has assumed the identity of a student at a school of magic
> has begun killing off the student body
What twists can I add to this scenario to make things more interesting?

Summoned by a teacher, or IS the teacher

Make it a being from another dimension that uses and feeds on fear.

The creature has no real sentient mind, and just has an amazing ability to instinctively mimic human behavior. Maybe it really thinks it's a student.

Every time it kills something, it splits and the new copy becomes a clone of the dead student. Soon, it's a body snatchers/zombie outbreak scenario.

The Spirit isn't actually evil, and it's just a regular student who is actually killing the other kids.

It just wants to live a peaceful life.
It turns people into monsters, has them attack the school, then kills them.
It has gone slightly insane and sincerely takes on aspects of what it's mimicking, but without diminishing any of its evilness.
It gets its cover blown when it kidnaps a student that was pranked with a magical stinkbomb earlier in the day, the stench leading people to them.

This one is a great bait and switch. What if we took it further and had the evil student be the one who summoned the spirit and then proceedes to make it look like the murders were the spirits doing. Bonus points if the spirit has no easy way to communicate its innocence

I love this, totally gonna use it. Thanks user

Spirits have competitors, there’s intruders causing inconsistency with coexistence - bring the heirloom to grant solace then investigate the surrounding area once classes defense

The shape Shifter trys to convince your players that it's the real and those it kills off are homunculi replicate
Or
The shape Shifter only kills one student over a grudge, all the other deaths are the doing of people wanting to off rivals and seeing the shapshifter as cover.
Or
After you capture/kill the shapshifter a magic ritual can be used to determine who sent it, so you have to defend the body from interference by its master

It's some dude from the future killing mass murderers before they can become mass murderers.

Given the amount of work it's had this year should maybe make you need to look at the current teaching methods.

Or it's being given the name of a time traveling mass murderer. It keeps going back in time to kill it's past self before it can kill all of those kids but that just means that another kid grows up to be a time traveling hit man and kill themselves before they can grow up to kill all those kids.

The shape changing is a direct result of a different kid growing up each cycle.

The only way to kill it is to break the cycle without resorting to murder as murdering it or it's past self first just results in another kid growing up to be it.

Killing it's past self just put's you on the hit list one step above past self. Killing it's future self just means that in 30 years one of your other classmates will take the place of their old school friend to finish the mission.

Roll 1d[however many are in the class]. If you roll a 1 the killer is you 30 years from now. You are the next target. You need to write a note and give it to every surviving member of the class and preferably everyone in the school and as many others as possible informing them of your discovery should you discover this terrible secret. They you need to suicide.

And have him framing the ghost of a previous serial killer, perhaps?

The faculty is tottally okay with this as they are bitter old wizards really envious of all these young'uns upstaging them.

>What twists can I add to this scenario to make things more interesting?

The only thing I could think of is the teachers/instructors themselves are responsible for releasing the shape-shifting evil spirit onto the school: it's meant to be the students final (sometimes literally) exam.

Some of the teachers don't approve of the method or find it to be a cruel, unusual, and antiquated practice, but the other teachers insist this is how it's always been, stating, "The spirit culls only the undesirables: the unlucky, the dumb, and the unskilled, people who don't belong in the world of wizardry".

You could even demonstrate it's artificial nature by giving it 'rules' or patterns to it's murders: it never attacks students in safe rooms (dorms, classrooms, and dining hall), and it focuses on the weakest, dumbest, students- specifically prioritizing older mediocre students.

Its a great cover. You want to get revenge, but how to avoid being caught?

Then you read about these murderghosts. If theres a murderghost involved, there can be all the evidence in the world, but you were possessed so what could you do?

You just kill the guy yourself, drop some clues, and THEN summon a murderghost to possess you before the wizardcops show up. After they exorcise you, you can tell whatever story you want. 'Its all so fuzzy. I remember it like a dream...'

Murderghosts are just the midterms. You studied your spirit wards, didnt you?

What's the point? No matter how outlandish, no twist can make one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises more interesting. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>if I copypasta this enough maybe m,y opinion will finally matter

>always assumes the role of a troublemaker student who behaves a fool to get laughs out of others
>a "class clown" if you would

The spirit and murders are fake. This is just the way the older students haze the freshmen

I notice you replied.

a student sees the world as silent hill, and is trying to kill the monsters(other students).

An evil spirit is taking advantage of this. She looks like a monster to everyone but him, to him she looks like a beautiful girl.

Going with this, you play the shapeshifter.