Secret Bases, Supply Caches and Safe Houses

What are some strange and interesting secret base, supply cache and safe house locations?

What sorts of lost and forgotten objects and resources could one find in these hideaways?

What mysteries or missions might one discover stumbling across such a secret place?

Other urls found in this thread:

pruned.blogspot.com.br/2010/08/speleotheraphy.html
pruned.blogspot.com.br/2008/02/subterranean-farms-of-tokyo.html
thebolditalic.com/a-rare-look-at-the-tunnels-under-san-francisco-the-bold-italic-san-francisco-896f850dd994
atlasobscura.com/places/detroit-salt-mine
goodreads.com/book/show/239065.The_Descent
pruned.blogspot.com.br/2007/07/disused-mines-as-subterranean.html
pruned.blogspot.com.br/2007/03/giant-guatemalan-sinkhole.html
youtube.com/watch?v=U7q-lx6ljck
atlasobscura.com/places/seattle-underground
bldgblog.com/2014/07/natos-underground-roman-super-quarry/
bldgblog.com/2012/06/buy-an-underground-kingdom/
bldgblog.com/2015/03/the-subterranean-celebrity-libido-labyrinth-of-greater-hollywood/
bldgblog.com/2007/08/derinkuyu-or-the-allure-of-the-underground-city/
bldgblog.com/2009/09/hexagonal-hydropolis/
bldgblog.com/2015/11/then-we-descend/
bldgblog.com/2016/07/schrodingers-speleology-or-the-stalking-of-entranceless-caves/
bldgblog.com/2015/08/subterranean-lightning-brigade/
bldgblog.com/2014/06/london-and-its-dead/
bldgblog.com/2014/06/city-of-buried-machines/
bldgblog.com/2015/03/it-came-from-below/
bldgblog.com/2015/02/the-conqueror-worm/
bldgblog.com/2014/08/military-cave-logistics/
bldgblog.com/2014/07/life-on-the-subsurface-an-interview-with-penelope-boston/
bldgblog.com/2015/09/abandoned-mines-slow-printing-and-the-living-metal-residue-of-a-post-human-world/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you have a particular context / setting in mind, or do you just what people to post whatever?

Lately I've been thinking about modern settings and paranormal mysteries like Delta Green and its ilk, and I've always enjoyed brainstorming threads and some of the strange things that Veeky Forums can come up with when prompted. I'm not looking to run a game yet, I just wanted to see what folks could imagine.

The standard in Western Europe are the cold-war era "stay behind/observation" bunkers that were meant to support small teams of troops providing intelligence on Soviet movements after areas were overrun.
The next type are the "resistance" supply bunkers, which were equipped to support special forces engaged in guerrilla warfare against occupying troops.
Then come all the survivalist/nuclear bunkers, ranging from government fallout shelters capable of holding hundreds of people for years, to the "weird and wonderful" civilian bunkers of survivalists.

I'd imagine that, like cars and computer programs, bunkers tend to reflect the minds of the people who built them.

bump for interest

This is now a Build-a-Bunker thread. Every post will add one new Feature or Item to the Bunker. After 10 posts that Bunker is finished and a new one is created. Assume that a Bunker is equipped with the basic necessities of food and water and can shelter a small amount of people unless noted otherwise. Starting:

This bunker contains a conspiracy corkboard linking government officials to an international smuggling ring

It is hidden underneath the rear garden of an ordinary suburban home, entered via a trapdoor in the garden shed.

It has a desktop CNC machine, with a printing space of one cubic foot.

It has a reinforced holding cell in the basement level. Inside is a man covered with all sorts of runes and tattoos, chained down hannibal lecter style.

I thought the bunker in The Road was pretty neat.

Basically the protagonist that's been roaming the post-apoc crapsack world since the apocalypse happened 10 years ago discovers an untouched and unlocked bunker hidden under a trapdoor in a suburban yard. Inside are full stocks of food and propane, along with bottles of liquor that still have the receipts in the bag. The implication is that the preppers who made it either didn't get to it in time or left and were killed before they could make use of the majority of the supplies.

I like the idea that PCs exploring the bunker find a set of plans that don't quite match up with the actual structure they're exploring:

>The plans say that there is another half to the bunker, but all the doorways and passthroughs to it have been sealed with cement, steel and cryptic warnings.

>Although nothing in the plans mentions fault lines running through the area, in several places bottomless chasms have opened up and rooms have been heaved up or down.

>The plans indicated that the bunker is six levels deep, but the bottom three are flooded with dark, cold water seeping in from the underground.

It has a garden that grows a few plants with hydroponics, and then everything else is mushrooms. This includes mushrooms that don't exist naturally, but are tasty and nutritious.

>What are some strange and interesting secret base, supply cache and safe house locations?

abandoned subway stations(actually happens a lot in older cities that upgrade often enough)

forgotten military bases(happens in sparsely inhabited zones like Australia, and parts of Texas)

old In Ground ICBM silos can and have been converted into some fine bunkers.

>What sorts of lost and forgotten objects and resources could one find in these hideaways?
a whole lot of nothing usually.
also hobos

>What are some strange and interesting secret base, supply cache and safe house locations?

Secret base: You know those doors that you always see inside roadway tunnels and everybody assumes that is for upkeeping? One of those doors could lead to a secret base.

An abandoned section of a subway station, as stated before.

Safe house: The church tower, a section of an water treatment plant.

Supply cache: A mysterious room hidden inside a clothier shop closet.

>What sorts of lost and forgotten objects and resources could one find in these hideaways?

Was it used before by someone? If yes, you could find their belongings, or whats left of them after the owner left. Add a twist, the previous owner body is inside and there is blood and fight signs everywere.

I would usually fill them with a lot of prepper things, or something very odd, like a notebook with strange symbols, or a set of headless plastic dolls.

>or something very odd,
arcane symbols painted in what appears to be (chicken) blood

if you want the game to go from ordinary to horror to post-apoc
>the hidden room is an old CDC-precursor or equivalent laboratory.
>there is a rack marked DANGEROUS TEST SAMPLES
>the few vials that aren't missing are broken
>in the beam of your flashlight nearby you see something in the deep dust.
>a line of footprints heading away from the rack, shiny and fresh...

>The beautiful mix of clockwork and water pipes inside is a fluidic/babbage computer processing malthusian economical equations for the last 120 years. They seem to indicate a yet-to-come global crisis.

>The abandoned train station has several wagons, all filled with coffins.

>It has a zeppelin.

>The tunnels are very crude but robust, done by a single person over decades. It connects to a unknown cave in an area whose geology isn't associated with caves.

pruned.blogspot.com.br/2010/08/speleotheraphy.html

thebolditalic.com/a-rare-look-at-the-tunnels-under-san-francisco-the-bold-italic-san-francisco-896f850dd994

atlasobscura.com/places/detroit-salt-mine

goodreads.com/book/show/239065.The_Descent

pruned.blogspot.com.br/2007/07/disused-mines-as-subterranean.html

pruned.blogspot.com.br/2007/03/giant-guatemalan-sinkhole.html

fuckken saved...

bumps

A lot of makeshift homes made by homeless are interesting in how they can make livable spaces in hidden, out of the way places.

Webm semi-related since the guy isn't actually homeless

Incredible. Thank you.

Didn't expect such a good reaction. You're welcome.

youtube.com/watch?v=U7q-lx6ljck
>WW1 quarters carved inside a glacier.

atlasobscura.com/places/seattle-underground

bldgblog.com/2014/07/natos-underground-roman-super-quarry/

bldgblog.com/2012/06/buy-an-underground-kingdom/

bldgblog.com/2015/03/the-subterranean-celebrity-libido-labyrinth-of-greater-hollywood/

bldgblog.com/2007/08/derinkuyu-or-the-allure-of-the-underground-city/

bldgblog.com/2009/09/hexagonal-hydropolis/

bldgblog.com/2015/11/then-we-descend/

bldgblog.com/2016/07/schrodingers-speleology-or-the-stalking-of-entranceless-caves/

bldgblog.com/2015/08/subterranean-lightning-brigade/

bldgblog.com/2014/06/london-and-its-dead/

bldgblog.com/2014/06/city-of-buried-machines/

bldgblog.com/2015/03/it-came-from-below/

bldgblog.com/2015/02/the-conqueror-worm/

bldgblog.com/2014/08/military-cave-logistics/

bldgblog.com/2014/07/life-on-the-subsurface-an-interview-with-penelope-boston/

bldgblog.com/2015/09/abandoned-mines-slow-printing-and-the-living-metal-residue-of-a-post-human-world/

Nice thread OP. I'm running a 'Mutant: Year Zero' campaign and this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Very nice! Thanks.