Icons of the 80s

Anyone here lived through the 1980s? What is the first thing comes to your mind when you think of the decade?

We are trying to make a setting in the 80s. No combat, pure detective with the comedy relies heavily on pop culture of the time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X3Qsjpr1AbI
youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What is the first thing comes to your mind when you think of the decade?
High-top sneakers.

Stranger things

Which country or countries? Early 80's is pre MTV causing homogenisation, so you still had national variations, and far less "lowest common denominator" content from USA.

Thundercats.

>Acrylic colors on everything.
>Electric chords in all the music. All of it.
>Vests.
>MTV.
>Ronald Regan.

Miami Vice
youtube.com/watch?v=X3Qsjpr1AbI

Oh, and pic related.

Moonbeam City was 80's personified with the lasers, pastel colors, big hair, etc. Too bad it only lasted one season

lack of meat in shops

I came here to post this and this Also shit like this youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA playing in the record store at the mall.

Oh, and parachute pants. Can't forget those.

reddit

Epic.

Bare thighs and sexercise tapes. I mean fapping ta---, shit, wait, I'll find the right euphemism for this eventually.

>Bare thighs

Your pic begs to differ.

Who says I was talking about the picture?

You can always spot a pedant by...

Cocaine and Crack, Gangs, AIDS, Neon, Great Music, Dune, TV with a strong good evil dichotomy, A-Team, Dark Cartoons. That was my stream of conscience ramblings as requested.

How about this?

Op is not OP.

He-man
Sega Mega Drive
Chernobyl
not being in a fucking crisis

/thread

Why not both?

But there were crises throughout the entire decade...

You can't expect someone who only knows the decade through pop culture and/or being a small child at the time to understand nuances like that.

>Kickstart My Heart starts playing

Those were really the days.

Here's a polachroid I took in times square ca. 1983.

Atari
Gated fucking drums and terrible music in general.
Shoulder pads and enormous hair
Samantha Fox
The Challenger
Commies

Stopping there: all the things I didn't have to think more than a second about.

Did somebody say 80s detective comedy?

Tears for Fears
Wood paneling
Michael J Fox
Vinyl record players
Those god awful leather belts with horrible patterns and your name on the back

Pop stars dressing effeminately and wearing makeup, so

Joan Jet, Cyndi Lauper, Annie Lennox,

Moose.

Everyone concinved the future would be lots of neon with Japan ruling the world.

Lots of neon

NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER

Arcades.

Those first gen computer generated special effects. Lassers N' Shit.

Cheesy movies. Action, and Sci Fi were the big generes, but you had your fantasies in their as well.

AIDS. And the way everyone was freaking out about it. ASFAIK it's the birthplace of the line 'When you have sex with someone, you're having sex with every person THEY'VE had sex with.' And now you all know why I never got the Clap.

Challanger.

Good ol Ronnie.

Richard Pryor lighting the Olympic Torch.

Eddie Murphy in his Purple and red vinyl suit doing stand up.

No such thing as gangsta rap

EVERY celebrity, every musician, every commedian being coked out of the god damn minds. Everyone knew, but no one said a thing out loud until they died. Seriously, go watch a youtube clip of Robin Williams A Night at the Met.

Ghost Busters. Highlander. Back to the Future. Star Wars.

>Cyndi Lauper
This

Before I read the OP properly, pic related was my first thought.

Aw fuck, my friend had that

I had no idea it had a TV show until just now because it didn't run in our market.

There's the usual icons people will regurgitate about hypercolour shirts, Reebok vs Nike, the movies and music.
But, if you want to look a bit deeper into it, the peak cold war and the coming of the yuppie culture where also quite profound changes to society- lot more insular and some degree of paranoia. Was also a much tighter connection to sub-cultures and music, goths, metal, rock, post punk etc all had their own little die hard groups of people that dressed, behaved and listened to the same music. (More so than now)

Big Hair.
Synthesizers
Neon
Spandex
Cocaine.
Twisted Sister
Sneezing on the cocaine.

Right I'm surprised you faggots haven't mentioned Miami Vice.
>80's Music (including hair metal and pop) coupled with Jan Hammers Synth
>80's Neon & Pastel
>Cocaine
>Set 1980's fashion trends
>Even dealt with the supernatural including Santeria, Haitian Voodoo, and a really cringey UFO episode.

I'd recommend giving the series a binge watch if you want to get into 1980's. I'd also recommend playing GTA: Vice City which nailed the setting, music and feel of the 1980's.

Also binge yourself on Chuck Norris, Arnie, Sly, and Dolph Lundgren and watch Roadhouse and early Steven Seagal until Under Siege (although this covers early 90's Seagal was always more 80's in feel). Hope this helps.

Nuclear annihilation, mostly.

Stranger Things isn't meant to be nostalgia of the 80's
It is meant to be nostalgia of *80's movies*

There is a difference between having many crises and never not having some sort of crisis.

There was only ever crises going on in the past couple of months, once Korea started its flaring up, which will almost inevitably lead to military confrontation unless North Korea backs down. First 6 months went fine, regardless of what the media said. It's only the past couple that have gotten to the point where some might consider them crises, and really, the biggest ones were all the natural disasters.

I was pretty young back then, but I would say:

high cut panties (I wish they would return)
Wall Street (the movie)
The Cold War
'86 World Series
Hair metal

>lived through

truly they were dark times

Cringe tards who never lived through the 80's.

City Hunter, the manga. Action heroes. Foreigner, the band.

No Remington Steele?

Son, we had shit going on like you wouldn't believe. Kim and NK are kids at the tiny table compared to the threats the USSR would throw our way.

Ford Fairlane. Watch and enjoy

But I was just addressing , who seemed to be making the claim that the current presidency has been nothing but crises. Nor was the 80s nothing but crises. Both periods had some, but they weren't a 24/7/365 kind of thing.

chain mail bikinis and hot women. don't let the liberals win, fight them

i want to thank every user that said THE COLD WAR. all these niggahrs say "80's MTV electro new wave colors yay!" like that was the 80's....
...only to fuckheads living in NY or NJ or LA, the shittiest TV-centric places in the USA.

truth: most of us were just normal people, and the Russians were very scary.
also, one thing you CANNOT forget is that nowadays the media really has united us into one homogenic culture that you can get outcast from pretty easy. we USA fucks are way more conformist than anyone thinks.

back then, we had lots of little cultures, and there were a ton of ways to rub someone the wrong way. but most were little: someone else would treat you human and accept you.
actually much more forgiving than today's cultural censorship.

props to this guy:
for mentioning
>No such thing as gangsta rap

literally. rap actually used to be way fucking underground. white people only heard adaptations and shit in the early 90's, unless you were inner city then it was a tad sooner.
the loud-stereo bad-asses of ye olde days were metalheads.
yes, metalheads
they were the 80's version of gangsta.

also, sci-fi.

Absolutely. The problems we have now are annoyances compared to the 5,000 h-bombs the USSR had trained on our country.

Sort of. The problem as I see it is that any h-bombs raining down on the U is unacceptable, and so if NK intends to continue to try to reach the point where they can, they're going to have to be persuaded otherwise. At the same time, North Korea wants said capability because they want to make sure the US can't intervene and topple the regime. However, doing so is making it likely that the US is going to be forced to do just that. It's a right old mess, and I don't see a way out unless someone kills Dear Leader.

And that's just the first thought I had. We also had: Iran/Iraq war, Beirut, Grenada, AIDS, KAL 007, Iran hostages, Able Archer, and even more. The Eighties weren't all coke, Gordon Gekko and Spandex. Fuck.

You do know that the 'liberals' brought you the hot women in chain mail bikinis. The Eighties had the Moral Majority, retard.

yes, but times have changed.
they now cut off our hopes and give the women to jamal.

i miss those old school libs. i do i really do.

Too bad they all died and you lot can't be bothered to do anything more than lament their passing before getting your next hit of digital crack.

ouch.

dead?

>Assuming I'm Murrican

Here you go.

Again 1st 3 seasons of Miami Vice. Covers a lot of these issues with the coke, neon and pop music. Seriously Veeky Forums give them a watch.

Motley Crue, Samantha Fox swimsuit posters, early Metallica albums...

Go read Ready Player One.