>Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Discord:
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

The Thread That Was: How high-power do your campaigns go? Do players conquer new kingdoms or squabble over influence in a single big city?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_LifeEvent.pdf
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPjdPog_vKX33aqc6Ji12wQrGQJQ_q_1R
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is the Hollywood Hootsman doing here?!

he hoots

he hollers.

Reposting for comparison, which one of these two would be your preferred way of playing a gish or are these not close enough to the Duskblade/Magus/Spellblade?

>Example 1

>Example 2

what 1 additional class do ya'll thing a party of a Paladin, Monk, Ranger, and Bard would benefit from?

wizard is always a safe bet

I'd say rogue, bard may step on those toes but he can't cover all of them.

Spell lists are there, so is the art, but opening on my phone all fields of your form fillable sheets are blank.

There's a lot of solid overlap between those classes. Bard and Paladin have good support, Paladin/Ranger/Monk can pump out damage, Ranger has range.

I would say wizard, or maybe a heavy armor fighter to soak up that damage. Fire genasi eldritch knight could be fun.

How bizarre, that happens to me too on my phone. But on my computer they seem to work just fine.

What's the best feat for a seafaring adventure? Or most useful to a sailor?

When adapting the enemies/NPCs that are clearly based on PHB classes (like the Volo's GoO warlock), how do you know what features to keep and what to cut out?

The caster is level 14 and has all the slots, saves, proficiencies, and appropriate health, but it doesn't have any invocations, the pact boon, awakened mind, entropic ward, thought shield, or create thrall. It DOES have an extra 3d6 close-range AoE which is pretty good.

TLDR: What stays and what goes when making an NPC based on a class that the PCs can be?

Yes, I am that guy from a few threads ago. I'm still stuck.

I'm running ToA and one of my players is a Revised Ranger. How much is Natural Explorer going to fuck with running the hexcrawl? I was going to use the party getting lost to point them towards points of interest that they otherwise might've not seen.

media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_LifeEvent.pdf

New XGE preview: Life Events. Seems neat as a little addition to backgrounds.

Does anyone have the Dungeonology splatbook pdf? I'm interested in a physical copy but I'm not sure what I'm getting with it. Plus the cover is kind of weak but it might be nice to have around

It's not a splatbook. It's a pop-up book for children.

Totally fucks it. Just have Acerak cast a spell of obscurement over the jungle so even rangers can get lost. Just give them adv on the survival check

Basically its a comparison between.

>8 Fighter Eldritch Knight/12 Wizard
Bladesinger

High Elf
Warcaster
Mobile
1st through 7th level spell slots
Capped Dex and INT

vs

>15 Sorceror Stone/5 Warlock Hexblade Pact of The Blade

Warcaster
Quicken, Twinned, Subtle Spell
Eldritch Smite
Kiss of Mephistopheles
Improved Pact Weapon
1st through 8th level spell slots

Which one would you use for your Duskblade/Magus/Spellblade/Gish?

I don't think there is a PDF anywhere. It's part of the "ology" books - it's a cash-in, not an official sourcebook. It's a pull-out book, like Piratology and Dragonology.

What are you trying to make

Swim speed, proficiency in sea vehicles, athletics prodiciency

Ah, my bad. Thanks for the clarification.

I can't say I hate the idea but that's a strange sell for sure

Does anyone have an image/pdf of the new Reincarnated dm screen?

Or any of the adventure specific ones?

Anons, long story short, I'm trying to make a functional dwarf-elf crossbreed race. Ideally, it'd have some versatility to it, so you could do a drow-duergar cross as well as the more obvious hill dwarf/high elf cross.

Problem is, I got no ideas what kind of racial feats to give it. Any ideas? Or at least point me towards mentions of dwelves in the fluff? I know Forgotten Realms has one or two in its histories...

Various things, but right now I want them to fight optimized versions of their own classes one by one.

Party is Vengeance Paladin, Bear Totem Barbarian, Sun Soul Monk, Wild Magic Sorcerer, Inquisitive Rogue, Druid/Barb animal grappler, and one undecided.

V. Human. Done.

Why

How many druid barb animal grapplers would there be in the world

>turtles well known for being very long lived
>tortles live an average of 50 years

What?

It's bullshit and I hate it. When I run a game Tortles will routinely live to 300 or more.

It's just how they've always been, even in their AD&D lore.

Probably going to go pure druid for that one.

The rest, because I wanted to show them what they can do. They aren't great at using their class features (reckless attack, insightful fighting, twinned buffs), so I wanted to show them.

So a Tortle Strength Monk could actually be a thing right?

unarmored defense does not stack with natural armor

Alright, I did it. Pretty sure the CR is off, I've been looking at the tables for stats but it all feels kinda off. I'd rather just assign a CR after making the monsters stats and adjust attack roll / proficiency afterward, since that's easier in my opinion. Unless people are really attached to an athach being a certain CR. I dunno, some feedback would be nice. Some of these monsters will have stats out of line for their CR but I don't know what is equivalent to what. I guess a 1 lower AC is equivalent to 5% less hit points in the long run, but maybe not. For reference, I'm the user making the 3.5 converted to 5e monsters blog. I have it up and running and I made the user's requests from the last thread, just looking for feedback to tidy this one up and post it, so I can get this blog underway.

Also, taking more requests for 3.5 monsters to convert. I already did the crawling head as well, might post that for feedback later on.

Come on, seriously? There's gotta be something, I just... I can't grasp the possibilities myself yet.

>Also, taking more requests for 3.5 monsters to convert.
Only the greatest creature of all time, the Orcwort!

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPjdPog_vKX33aqc6Ji12wQrGQJQ_q_1R

Arcane Archer, Celestial warlock, and "Divine Soul" sorcerer (favored soul) confirmed.

Oh also, I don't think anybody is athached (heh) to the Athach being at a particular CR. It was supposed to be a big dude with three arms that could fuck shit up, but the exact CR of that manifestation wasn't really important.

Will do.
>tfw own literally every core 3.5 sourcebook in harcopy so I don't even need to visit the rem.uz trove even though I have those all saved as well.
>tfw spent teenage years reading monster manuals to the point I know just about every monster.
>tfw playing in high level 3.5 module.
>dm gives vague description of monster
>doesn't even show picture
>I instantly guess what it is
Probably gonna homebrew some monsters from my horror / freak creatures art folder of stuff I've saved from Veeky Forums, in addition to conversions from 3.5.

Also how is stuff like pic related? I want to include the art but I feel like I should output the text of the monster stats so people can paste them into notepad or open office and print them out without the horrible formatting.

>Also how is stuff like pic related? I want to include the art but I feel like I should output the text of the monster stats so people can paste them into notepad or open office and print them out without the horrible formatting.
I always use regular text docs for monster creations / updates. The ease of printing thing is a big deal for organizing a campaign.

Fair enough. Since I'm using Tumblr (sorry), I think I'll post the image, but then copy the stats into the text field as well, so that people can have both. Also a description of the monster. Not sure if I should worry about DMCAs for the art but I'll have everything saved on my hard drive anyway so I can just reupload without the art if that happens. Anyway, if I can have some feedback on the monsters I've posted so far, I can get them uploaded and get this underway. I just want to run them by Veeky Forums before I post.

I plugged it into a calculator and got CR9, so you aren't far off, actually.

Those ability scores seem really high, but I looked up a few other CR9 creatures and they aren't far off.

Also link your blog buddy.

I think he wants to make a STR monk without having shit AC. Thus, Tortle.

What's the point of STR monks?

Random question: Anons, would you play in a campaign that featured making your way through the Underdark to a vaguely Pellucidar-style "inner world" at the planet's core, whose inhabitants include isolationist uber-conservative warforged with lasers, magic-worshipping serpentfolk, a hobgoblin empire that can be described as "the Romans wielding magical bronze", a colony of duergar-drow crossbreeds who exert political influence by controlling the only source of metalwork in the whole inner world, stone-skinned Ogremoch-worshipping goblins who're strong enough to pull down an orc and bite his throat out, and a non-evil race of drow-orc pseudo-Amazons?

No, because you spoiled all the adventure and discovery before the first session.

Not knowingly.

Stunning strike -> grapple (?)
Doesn't that combination lead to a guaranteed grapple if they fail the stunning strike save? That's the first thing that came to mind. Not having to worry about wisdom makes them less MAD too, I guess

Fun

Also, brawlers.

Personally I think you should do both. Post the art on the statblock to grab attention, and output the text to make people's lives easier.

Would you mind linking the tumblr you're using? I want to follow that shit. More monsters to torture my party with is always good.

/5eg/ what sort of content would you like to see produced by a third-party developer? Asking for, well, I reckon you can figure that out.

Do you want more character options? More adventure paths or simply pre-made adventures? Books of monsters? Weird new settings that take the system outside of "Generic Fantasy" or staple something else to the game?

Just curious what sorts of things you all would like to see made for this game while WizKids drags their feet.

I want a stupid ass video game developed by platinum

Alright so I am DMing my first long term campaign.

I have 4 level 16 players
12 Rogue/4 Range
10 Wiz/ 6 Warlock
14 Druid/2 Cleric
9 Barb/7 Fighter

They just early killed what was to be the final boss of the campaign (Blasted a hole in the top of his tower and and teamed up to burn his autosaves, counterspelled his Planeshift, and then they literally Force Pushed him out the tower. He was supposed to escape easily but they worked together so quickly and efficiently without metagaming I couldn't do much. He fell out of the tower into lava.

Now they want to keep going till level 20 since I am the first decent DM they ever had. Because they haven't had any truly harrowing experiences in awhile (And only one death overall) I'm not sure if they are ready for it. What would be a good encounter to prepare them for what a level 20 encounter will be like?

My thought is to do two Beholders. Remove Finger of Death for a Necrotic Ray(15). Have them fight the first one, and after it gets to half health (or 2d4+2 turns) have the second appear. Maybe make it so that it does 2x normal eye beams and a 1x Freezing Ray (4d8) per turn. I will probably hold the lair actions till I see how they are fairing.

I have an idea for the final boss being an Avatar of Hunger. There was a small fishing village filled with werewolf cultists they saved way back. They never bothered to check up on it afterward (Installing a new mayor who I can quietly retcon into being charmed by an unseen cultist) . Avatar goes crazy trying to consume the McGuffin that will allow it to manifest into Hunger.

I'd do Vecna but a bunch of us watch Critical Role. Though I am quite excited to see how Mercer runs his fight

A book dedicated to traps.

Tucker's Kobolds

I'd pay for traps and puzzles

So what level are the PCs?

What do you think about making phased bosses? Where you basically have a single body but seperate stat-blocks that flow into one another to give a battle against a BBEG a little more of a dynamic feel as you fight them? I've tinkered with it a bit in the campaign I'm running, and the players seem to like it. It's definitely cribbing design directly from vidya, but it definitely helps to spruce things up.

Puzzles is a good idea too, I'd probably make that portion of the book more vague, and focus on teaching how to create fun puzzles.

Level 7 spells that are unique to warlocks.

I'd pay for a book about hot traps.

I wouldn't change the boss stats unless it fits flavorwise, but there's nothing wrong with changing the arena, or having enemies come in, responding to their master's cry for help.

Not gonna lie, that was definitely up there in my thoughts. Having a nice list of traps to throw into dungeons can definitely help spruce things up and the offerings from WizKids aren't particularly thought-provoking. I was also considering putting in something equivalent to Pathfinder's haunts -- traps that aren't just mechanical or alchemical, but also possibly spiritual.

I am a little unsure how to really do puzzles, but I think might be onto something and instead focus more on helping DMs make their own puzzles with some guidelines and examples rather than a Monster Manual equivalent to puzzles.

The whole party is level 5. That gives me relatively few PC options to deal with, but I would appreciate guidance for going forward.

>A friendly wizard gave you a spell scroll
containing one cantrip (of the DM’s choice).
Is the scroll infinite? Doesn't this defeat the purpose of scrolls and cantrips at the same time?

Yeah sounds good to me.

Can a paladin that never actually takes an oath fall?

The Underdark is already a weird inner world. It just looks like you are trying way too hard.

>Is the scroll infinite?
It gives no indication of that.

There's always the Tarrasque. Or the Demon Lords. Or Tiamat.

I think its a bad idea all round and you should scrap it

Probably not, but you don't get the nice powers either.

No but they can't advance beyond 2nd level either

>needing more than 2 levels when sorcadin exists

>Party enters a portal chasing after our fighter who went in on his own
>DM: You all enter and... we'll pick up next week
>Player asks if we died jokingly
>DM says yeah you guys all died, make new characters for next week, also jokingly
>He was being serious
>Was actually going to TPK us through no control of our own until we all bitched and he changed his mind
New to this and so is my DM, is this a thing? Can the DM really just say "fuck you, you all died lmao"?

I don't know why they wouldn't be able to advance beyond Level 2. They just wouldn't get Oath abilities.

Well yeah, but only a bad DM would.

Shit dm

>all entered a random portal without any idea of what was on the other side
>confused when ded
I mean, for all you know you took a portal straight to the Para-Elemental Plane of Acid or the Positive Energy Plane. Was the portal taking you to a safe, defensible location, or just random somewhere? Depending on where it went, that makes perfect sense. Though I'd still at least give you the benefit of a last chance or at least some explanation if you took a portal directly into a Archdemon's torture pits.

I have a friend who told me he wants to Ben a kobold rogue that charms people, then steals their stuff after sex. On a 1-10 scale, how /thatguy/ is he? Also, since he's adamant about the choice, how should I properly balance this unholy monstrosity in the campaign?
I'm not looking forward to this

Yeah, but its a great way to kill the players' enthusiasm.
But then, just putting a portal in front of players and expecting them not to go in to it is a rookie move, you gotta expect that at least one of those idiots is going to go barreling through a portal no matter how many rape demons from the rape dimension are pouring through. Its a Chekhov's gun thing. I learned that the hard way.

Tell him to gargle semen and make a real character.

He explained it as being used by human cultists to travel instantly, I guess we could have gotten captured on the other side but really? Instant death?

tell him to fap before conceptualising characters

What exactly is the problem here? He might be a hot stud in Goblinville, but most civilized races will just laugh at the little nerd and shoot him down.

Complete that guy. Meme characters like that should be shot down by the dm before character creation even starts to save the rest of the group the headache of dealing with them.

This desu. You're a pack of retarded monkeys for going through the portal into a cult's base of operations after they'd already been made aware of the security situation after the fighter went in. But he's a novice DM that doesn't yet know to expect players to act like a pack of retarded apes.

>New to this
Sucks to have a bad first play experience.

>and so is my DM
Clearly.

>is this a thing?
Unless you walked into a portal of a bunch of dudes shouting Power Word: Kills, there aren't many reasonable way to kill a party of characters without them knowing what happened.

>Can the DM really just say "fuck you, you all died lmao"?
Within the rules of D&D? If you have one dude on the other side of that portal for each party member that went through, and each of those dudes has Power Word: Kill ready to go, then I suppose yes. Otherwise, there is almost universally going to be a saving throw or two before you die.

You ever watch that show that helps millionaires that never worked out how to talk to girls get a gf by screening women and setting them up on dates? There are human women who wont even go out to dinner with a self made millionaire if he's under 6 foot tall, good luck to a fucking hobo kobold, that's going to be a high DC.

Give him disadvantage when trying to seduce humans and other races aside from kobolds and goblins and shit

If you want to get to level 3 then you take an oath.

I'm not keen on Tarrasque/Tiamat just because I would want to build up to both, and this is supposed to just be an interlude.

I think I might just do a someone hears about a demonic presence in a far off village, and then have them get red herringed into visiting somewhere new (abandoned old village or cave system), fight an unnamed Demon Lord, and then on their way back have the final act start taking shape

He made it clear it wasn't their main base, and was something along the lines of a warehouse used for storage

Oh.

OK.

Might do that now that the group has increased from 4 players to 7. Going to keep some of the ideas, though.

And honestly I still wouldn't say no to any help with adapting PC-types of various levels into enemies.

>7 players
jesus fuck learn how to say no

He's like a toddler who refuses cooperation when he doesn't get his way, so I'm trying to mitigate this autism. How can I break his spirit as this freak and just play like everyone else? Can I have him die by his own hand and reroll? I'm ashamed that I want to kill his character before it's even played, but the thought makes this unfun.
This is the same guy who made me come up with a homebrew half-orc/halfling "dragoon" for our first campaign I ran. I'm getting sick of this special snowflake treatment because he's my best friend.
Will probably be doing both of these in tandem to hopefully convince his character to kill itself

This is information we need to judge you. But still, your fighter went in solo and was likely captured. Knowing that the portal was unsecured, they likely had people waiting to gang up on any other do-gooders stupid enough to waltz on in.

How long had your fighter been inside before you joined? And still, like an user upthread mentioned, it's a Chekov's Gun situation. He likely just didn't think you'd be dumb enough to rush through the portal because he's new to GMing. Most GMs when they are just starting off don't expect players to be retarded murderhobos, so it takes some time learning to deal with that.

Yes, but DM that does that will find himself with no players pretty quickly.