>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xllcrXJ_q4Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for WHERE'S THE FUCKING QUESTION ASSHOLE!?

Behind a paywall. Would you like to subscribe?

Second for TOO SOON ASSHOLE

What character are you playing right now, /5eg/?

I just (for unrelated reasons) saw an AD&D video on YouTube, and he randomized which PC is hit in melee combat. I never considered that (I'm a new DM) and it seems to remove something I have struggled with: who does the enemy attack? If I continuously hit the same PC, he will feel targeted. If I keep hitting the same tanky PC, the encounter might be too easy.

Is randomizing who an enemy hits the way to go? I am seriously considering doing it when next I DM.

First for Favored Soul Sorcerer with Twinned Animate Dead X / Undying Warlock 5 is still the best Necromancer in the game

I'm faster:

None, just finished the campaign as a Warlock. I think I will play a Wizard now

OP, do you know where that image comes from?

Yes, that's why I used it

I will play LaSombra when XGE come out

depends on the enemy.
Animal Predators will gang up on the weakest thing and try to drive off the stronger looking characters
Intelligent creatures will try to kill the mage
Stupid sapient creatures will just look to take out the guy not wearing armor

Got a Totem Barbarian. Went for wolf as my first since I wanted to go for a more leadership-inclined character. GM houseruled extra starting feats, so I waa able to grab inspiring Leader and Martial Adapt to supplement that further. Not the most amazing healing, but it does help out and I still tank well and give the group extra advantage.

Debating what to take as my level 6 totem feature, since all three seem mediocre.

>Debating what to take as my level 6 totem feature, since all three seem mediocre.
bear, so you can carry your comrades out of the shit when everything goes sideways. NO MAN LEFT BEHIND!

Weak/cowardly enemies should target the physically weakest PCs because that's something they can actually handle.
Smart enemies should target the best damage dealers. Going for the tank is a trap.

I can't find the tortle in the trove.

But what if a tanky player complains that monsters don't go for him?

Tell him to get sentinel or get over it.

Tell him to make himself a bigger threat so the enemies have a reason to attack him. If he's just standing around being hard to kill while doing shit all damage, then nobody is going to waste time fighting him.

Will you allow subclasses from UA after Xanathar's release?

What are some helpful items made of metal that cost under 100 gold? I'm trying to figure out helpful ways to use the Forge Cleric's channel divinity.

Probably, yea. Is there reason not to?

Tabaxi monk, lived his whole life caged as a circus attraction, has really weird taste in food and does gross shit to piss off people.

Can you use green flame blade and sweeping attack simultaneously?

Remind me, what is Sweeping Attack?

Thanks bruv

Inform him that "true" tanks don't exist in tabletop RPGs. There are just heavily armoured damage dealers.

A battlemaster maneuver

Yes, you can.

None. My DM didn't run a session for three months now due to RL stuff, and I might be conscripted in like a week.
One of the players told me a wondrous story of him running 4e for the officers back when he served. Might be able to follow his footsteps...
Except for the 4e part, of course.

The target should make sense for the Intelligence, Wisdom, or general disposition of the creatures attacking. For example an angry orc would attack whoever is closest, but a wizard might focus on disabling whoever is the biggest threat in the party.

You pay the cost so it's probably not worth for long term general stuff like caltrops. Maybe situational items like keys, crowbars?

technically they won't be UA once they're printed, so yes

I'd still allow unprinted UA too. As long as it's not homebrew I can assume it's reasonably balanced.

What if the player didn't like the changes from UA to XGE?

Half-elf Warlock/Paladin with a very weird patron relationship and a pet sloth.
Pretty fun game.

You could come to an agreement, but I would just say use the printed version. UA is play test material. If they've reprinted it differently, there was a reason behind that.

Yeah, i feel like it's better as a toolbox for when you're far afield and need to 'buy' something, essentially.

I'm just not sure how often that would crop up though unless the partt fights nothing but rust monsters.

What's the closest you can get to a true tank? Half orc paladin with Tough?

barbarian has "HURT ME I'M MORE VULNERABLE" reckless attack ability

Knight fighter (soon to be cavalier in XGE) or ancestral guardian barbarian (in UA/XGE).

>get my animal companion
>get into first combat with it
>takes a crit immediately
>dies a couple of rounds later
t-thanks

Path of Ancestral Guardian Barbarian
Fighter with the Knight (now Cavalier) archetype
Paladin of the Crown

And you should get the Sentinel feat

An Eldritch knight with more meat points than anyone else in the group because he picked up Tough to compensate for his low AC. Also the one who has bled out the most out of the entire group because AC and HP don't mean squat when enemies consistently crit you.

someone once said you can get a free ankylosaurus in ToA but I'm not finding it, anyone know what they were talking about? I can see where you can BUY one, but not where you just get one.

Wouldn't Booming Blade and Pushing Attack be a better combo?

Skeleton Pirate who is conviced he's still human. He's also an asshole

Half orc barbarian, 1 level in fighter for heavy armor, bear totem for half damage on everything

Is there a compiled list of what's confirmed for Xanthar's guide?

Goblin alchemist for a group of anti-supernatural misfits. He's basically a scientific rocket raccoon.

Rage doesn't work with heavy armor. though. Or does the bear totem override this?

D&D Beyond's playlist of previews, we're are getting one preview each day

D&D Beyond youtube

tl;dr: no artificer or mystic. Probably arcane archer is in there in addition to the ones already revealed

I guess not, my bad

Thanks buddies

Easiest way to make my fighter's attacks do magic damage that doesn't have to do with magic weapons?

Party is: warlock, rogue, druid, monk and eldritch knight.

We are level 7 and 8, by the way.

RAW bear totem would work while wearing heavy armor, just not the stuff under the rage column. Though RAI it's probably not supposed to.

The 2nd level spell Magic Weapon. It's on the wizard list, so maybe the EK can learn it.

Also the druid can learn Magic Stone and give them for you to throw. I think they're considered magical.

>level 7 and 8
>gm hasn't given you magic weapons

He has, but the fighter doesn't want to get rid of his beloved double swords.

Have him kill something big like a dragon and bathe the weapons in it's blood or something, maybe that'd work.
You gotta work out something with your DM to make your current weapons magical rather than just finding shit.

A high-CHA paladin of Valkur for our Tomb of Annihilation campaign. Multiclassing him to a storm sorcerer after levelling up.

Just enchant the swords, any spellcaster can do it.

I've got a question /5eg/. Is it possible to create a blade pact warlock without being a ninth level fedora lord?

Yeah

Aside from the monk class and tavern brawler, are there other ways to make an unarmed character work using only PHB, UA, and Sword Coast materials? No don't post that stupid pugalist homebrew. I originally had an idea for an unarmed Fighter Eldritch Knight and using spell buffs, but unarmed strikes can't be used with them.

Be a Tabaxi, Lizardfolk or Tortle

Alter self

>Refluff mace as caestus
>Apply magic on refluffed mace
>???
>Profit!

Virtually impossible.

>read ToA
is ToA just revamp of Tomb of Horrors? that one face looks awfully familiar

Club>Brass Knuckles
Done.

Explain to me how you have low AC as an Eldritch Knight? Did you fall for the DEX meme?

It's a mashup of Isle of Dread and Tomb of Horrors. It's ultimately its own adventure though.

even a dex meme'd EK should have good AC.

Well, I may have exaggerated the low AC, but the point is I needed to take the Tough feat to survive at all in this game.
We have a Warforged with 22AC that never gets hit and the enemies never go for him because of that, meanwhile, I'm there in the frontlines with him and which is why I'm always getting hit, and thus downed a lot because they roll incredibly well and land hits on me even with plate and the shield spell.

What supplements can be ran with a party of two characters?
I was looking at Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, but I've heard the Tomb is pretty brutal.

Sounds like your DM needs to add more spellcasting enemies.

AD&D did random targeting in melee in general. If you shot into a melee you would hit a random target too. Even your allies were at risk.

>We have a Warforged with 22AC that never gets hit
>land hits on me even with plate and the shield spell.
>plate + shield spell is 23AC
> I may have exaggerated the low AC
You're retarded.

>22AC that is constant vs 23AC for a single round using precious slots, a whopping of 3 per day
and you're an ass.

youtu.be/xllcrXJ_q4Y
>It's a Mearls episode

Why didn't you stabilize or heal it? Are you some kind of unfeeling monster?

I played a platemail wearing EK, you don't need to cast shield all that much.

He's such a waffle

I really dislike the summoning feature too. As I do the one on artificer

I do when the DM throws mini armies at us. Also, with so many numbers, the chances of one of them landing a crit is higher, which bypasses all of my AC anyway. I have been crit more times in this game that's been running for 2 months than I have in a game that ran for a year.

Animal companions aren't players. By RAW, they die at 0 instead of bleeding out

I made a backup character for a campaign that was a blade pact warlock and is basically a cross between Terminator's Kyle Reese and Twelve Monkeys' James Cole. GOO patron, so a little unoptimized, but a mountain dwarf.

time for luck, just tell those crits to fuck off

alternatively, that character is straight cursed and you might want to consider rolling a new one.

Also, I didn't take any healing spells because I was assured by the rest of the party that they could cover all of our healing needs, but then they refused to use any on her because that'd be wasting it

>I do when the DM throws mini armies at us
I suggest you use your fucking head, then. DM throwing mini armies at you? How about you don't stand out in the open with your dick in hand. Move into choke points.

> the chances of one of them landing a crit is higher, which bypasses all of my AC anyway
Then that's not a problem of "low AC" you fucking gibbon! That 22AC warforged whose static AC is higher than your static AC? Suffers crits just the same as you.

Your group sounds like a bunch of retards.

RAW it's up to the DM, with "special nonplayer characters" being one of the common exceptions to the rule. I'd consider an animal companion a special nonplayer character.

Battlerager? Does it have to be unarmored?

In an SKT campaign I'm playing a human noble barbarian who journeyed North from Cormyr after receiving visions from spirits of his ancestors, who charged him with reviving the families ancient warrior traditions in place of the political mindedness that took over the family over the past few generations.
In a homebrew campaign I'm playing a kenku Forge cleric of moradin, who was taught by a dwarven smith. He uses his natural ability to produce copies to his advantage, but is unable to forge anything but copies, so he set out to try and find a cure for his curse so he can produce masterful items to make his master proud.

no, just using fists as a weapon. My initial EK brawler was going to use heavy armor.
So why is it that the spell buffs like Magic weapon and Elemental weapon can't work on unarmed strikes?

Gosh, I hope next week videos are Crawford again or someone else

nah, the big boys are working on the game.