WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting rating scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Reposting

New chaos renegades I am working on, and this here sorcerer is their leader. Thinking either chaos undivided or Tzeentch but I've got nothing else for the theme yet.

tfw too afraid to paint any of my character units

looks good, I still think the feet look a little too rigid though when you compare it to how limp the arms and the rest of the legs are.
crop and resize your images. I don't like the yellow at all, the mucky colour doesn't really fit with the rest of the really bright scheme, everything else is nice.

just do it. You'll never land if you don't jump.
If it turns out awful you can always just strip them anyway

Do you guys glue your gun arms down and paint or keep them separate, paint, then glue?

It depends on how much the gun arm blocks access to the rest of the model but I usually dry fit first to get the pose right, glue the other arm on but leave the gun arm off until I've painted the chest

Depends on the model. I play DE as well, so for warriors I leave them seperate as they cover the bulk of the torso. Anytging that is "outwards" though, i.e. agonisers on dracons/archons or pistols? I just glue that shit down.

im a lazy shit so arms first them paint

How do you guys find Rogue Trader models by name? I was trying to find ol' Psycho Johnny(aka Brother Craig), but couldnt in spite of multiple different keywords being used.

What words do you guys use on ebay?

4/20.

They're not all as gory as the fellow that i posted last time around.

Massive amounts of gore? I certainly do approve!

Glueing them down. No need to paint what people will never see. That is the path that leads only to madness.

The flash kills your otherwise fine paintjob. Have a look at the diy-photo guide.

Do any of you put a finish on your models when you're done painting them? Any advice on what's a good brand to buy? I know humidity is bad for a finish but what % is too high (I live in the south so low humidity isn't really an option)

50%+ humidity means you can't use any spray primer or varnish, it will be grainy and look like shit if you do

Build your own lightbox, helps with the photography a fuck ton.

Pic related. Ive posted here couple of times to show people how easy it is to build. Just grab a carbboard box, cut two big ass holes on two opposite sides, add baking paper with ducttape and you're done.

second from the left really needs to lift more, he's so skinny. NIce amount of gore, heavy but doesn't overpower the models.

Thanks

Work continues on the USAriadna force. Basecoats and washes applied. It's nice to be painting something that's not a monstrous human (Orks, Trollbloods).
I think I'm going to throw in the towel on edge highlights. I'm not good enough to do it on these small models. Might try some very light drybrushing.

Okay that picture turned out like crap let me try again.

Howling Groffons? Mentors? Help me pick my new chapter!

I just got the Betrayal at Calth box and have a bunch of models to do up

Auric Patricians

trying to practice doing my chapter logo before I wreck the leviathan with it. It's come out a bit thicc and a bit wonky, more practice is needed.

Wat model looks nice my dude/dudette

USAriadna grunt from the starter force box
>pic related

what did use use to shade the recesses on the yellow? It looks great

Depends on the model. I'll do sub-assemblies if a part will block a brush or the airgun.

I also like to pin parts if I can because I'm a crazy person.

not mine, i bet earthshade watered down

this

Doubs picks my chapter

Question fine folks at WiP
Do any of you do more stylized paint jobs? Or is it all about the gritty realism?

Warmongers

also check em

Show me imperial fists

Red Talons.

Blood Angels

Does mechanicus standard grey for the uniform and skavenblight dinge for the armor sound about right for pic related?

Lamenters.

Marines Malevolent.

Ding ding

Just fucking roll for it instead of inciting spam every time.

Anyone have the painting chart? Looking to paint up some Imperial Fists and Alpha Legion dudes.

Not sure how or if I should hightlight this. Still going to apply Balthasar Gold on the metal parts.

Suggestions and feedback would gladly be appreciated. I was recommended to re-layer it but would like to avoid that if possible.

do forge world stuff come in bits or assembled? I want to get some weapons for my dudes, how hard is cutting resin?

Rolled 36 (1d100)

Frankly, I would just keep it like that, sorta looks like corrupted stone.

What kit are you planning to buy?

solar auxilia lasrifle sections
hoping to find some chinamen because I'm not insane enough to buy actual FW stuff just to not use it

Does this color scheme work for the mount? I kinda want it to be a fair bit more subdued than the very brightly colored dragon cavalry, to create more distinction between the two unit types.

absolutely, this looks gr8

sup Veeky Forums first attempt at nurgle/death guard (painted about 2 minis death guard prior to this)

now, it's nowhere near done and needs HEAPS of work done to it still but my aim is most likely attempt to sell it on ebay as "pro painted". now i'm pretty modest, like ive been taking this hobby seriously for about a year now and my past art experience has helped a load. I know there's still things i need to work on in my painting, overall but I feel as if I SHOULD be trying to profit off this in someway, if only to support myself (paint/brushes/more models etc. have a fair few but still quite limited in my pallette)

So basically I looked up sold listings on ebay for 'lord of contagion' and found some i think are around my skill level/painted worse that've sold for $100 AUD.

So I guess what I'm asking is if I sold this (completed) as "pro painted" do you think it would sell for around $40 AUD?
$100AUD =
>$80US

$40 AUD =
>$30 US

any thoughts on the subject would be great as it's pretty much new territory. After speaking to one friend who's been apart of the hobby for over 20 years told me there is definitely a market for pro painted armies for tournament players, but he's not so sure about single miniatures.

(forgot to mention i have already started fucking off the moldline i missed on his handle. put it off cause its annoying, but gonna paint on primer after sanding it then fix it etc)

Id pay 40-50 US bucks for this guy.

Anyone have a idea on how I should make my Howling Griffons look better? Im talking bits, like swords, feathers, heads and shit.

Not my model BTW, but I want to know what he is made out of.

Honestly? that's not bad i'd be super stoked with that much for it.
would you use it for playing/display if you did buy it? I'm kind of scared people will just "i'd prefer to build and paint my own"

Well I cant speak of the pro painted market because in my country is not existant. The green of the armor and the smoke look beatiful, but the mold line in the axe is a big mistake, specially if you are trying to sell him. Also the nurglings dont fit the base, I guess you can replace them with a rock or use something to cover up the gapes.

Yeah there has been around a day of self-hate for missing it after priming. He's only blu-tac'd to the base at the moment i plan to cover up the gaps/add another thin layer of cork. Am also considering replacing them with just rocks, but kind of like them.
thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated.

It's a very old DA captain with a headswap from either the chaos marauders or some third party.
The guy could have at least filed off the DA iconography...

II'm just plain rolling.

A dark angels dude with a WHFB head

Wings work ok being Griffons and all.

It's *very* solid table quality
The Icon is fucking amazing, clean simple and very effective.
The mold line along the axe haft is it's major flaw.

I think the body comes assembled to the legs and head but arms and guns are separated

Keep in mind the far stronger tone of Balthasar will make the green much less apparant.

Once it's completed, it should be fine.

>tfw got gloss varnish from the ironmongery but realized once I got home that it's petroleum-based so has that yellowness.

At first I was worried but I'm using this on stucco to make a mossy green-ish jungle stream. It might in fact be the perfect thing to make this. Results at some point.

>corrupted stone

Never thought about that. Thanks.

Otherwise I'm not sure what to use, I'm planning on shading the Balthasar with Agrax and a bit of Reikland to give it that weathered rusty look.

For gold, I always layer up from copper, to bronze, then add gold.
This doesn't account for washes, but always looks nice when done properly, especially with a very light highlight of some kind of silver or white.

Would the Minotaurs scheme look okay on Chadmarines? Or is it too 'gothic'?

Yep, that would look fairly nice I think.

Was going for Minotaurs on my Chads as well but never finished them cause I got distracted with other stuff.

Pic related. I can't find the ones that I actually finished.

my nigga

Disregarding the mold line you're already removing
>axe only painted metal without corrosion n shet
>base looking like it needs to be put out of it's misery
5 bucky for now, fix both my points and it could sell for good money

Also don't say 'pro painted' you sound like a bragging faggot

>using black wash on a red cape
Don't

Cunt.

Just put together a test model, and I'm liking the end result. They're going to be my chosen that can also be used as raptors because both hands and the backpack are magnetized. Likewise for 30k, they can be used as assault Marines or a terror squad.

That looks really nice. I went a lot more coppery with mine, not sure what I think.

gun too big for 1 hand imo

Weakling loyalist detected

First ever attempt at basing. Any thoughts lads? (Apologies for crap lighting.)

I like it

Too coppery, maybe a light drybrush of bronze and a nuln oil wash maybe?

It totally works. Good job!

Looks like a spoopy chapter in the secret police kind of way.

Looks Fab my friend, just make sure you go all the way to the edge, as the edges are getting a little bit...incomplete.

Only real criticism I have is there are bits of the base that show around the edge that should've been caught

Thanks lads. I will tidy those bits!

I'll give it a crack.

I actually quite like the coppery colour though. Maybe I could homebrew with it?

Good point, I myself know dat copper love all too well.
I would still suggest a (lighter) drybrush of bronze on there, but forsake the nuln oil.

Big medieval tournament crests on their helmets.

Feels like Crimson Castellans.

Hey. That's the first time i really try it hard to paint a model. I'm a complete noob and watched a couple of tutorials how to paint stuff ect.
Also: i already fucked up the feathering because i tried this Tyranid-Carapice Stripe thingy. i will post picture of my failure later.

Looks pretty nice. I'd be happy if my models turned out like that.
For a first time, it's quite honestly incredible. Just don't drop the ball as you continue the hobby.

Either the Hawk Lords or Sons of Medusa :^)

Those are some sweet 'zerkers!

i need to repair the green on the claws.
defintly.

>Crimson Castellans
never heard of those before. Are they an official thing? When where they introduced?

In the top pic, they look perfectly fine, if anything, I would simply repaint the claws to be similar to the talons or vice versa.
Seriously, don't repaint it, keep it, as a hallmark to your progress.

Nevermind, it's 40kwiki fanfiction

All these Minotaurs, I love it. I like seeing the different types of bronze people come up with. Reposting because I still haven't finished this fucking Ironclad, because I can't decide what color to paint the skull-eagle on the front of the sarcophagus.

Speaking of, if the model is metal-heavy (bronze and silver), and one shoulder is red, what would be a good contrasting color for said skull eagle? I did green for the eyes on my marines, but I think it might be too bright on such a large surface.

Nope, official chapter featured in theLast Days of Ector by Guy Haley. Have an emphasis on defence, recruit hive gangers, and use wine as a hobby and as a way to give growth hormones to their aspirants.