Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Dorn edition

>Warhammer Community news(New FAQs for Codex: Death Guard, Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus and more)
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/01/new-faqs-for-codex-death-guard-codex-adeptus-mechanicus-and-moregw-homepage-post-4/

>Daily Duncan Playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=fVWObn2XXLo&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-US/Rules-Errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

>Adeptus Mechanicus codex (thank you Vladimir)
>PDF
mega.nz/#!Mh13ASBa!vh4vUs-iw9lvubVEooF3PTYBm5G_PI66Ve6-dENNsQk
>Epub
mega.nz/#!Qwd3zSSB!A6wf-ubMX0r9yGtRkFZjO20hdxH5LqzGkiC-Y69bQMs

>yfw the Guard codex is so good playing fluffy lists is the most optimal

I cant wait to read the lore section and the rest of the relics.

College makes me want to kill myself and 40k is the only thing keeping me going

Haven't played 40k in a while, what's the "meta" for CSMs?

I got challenged to a 2000pt list and I'm kinda feeling too lazy to do optimal number crunch after not paying attention to the game for a while.
Does anyone have a general module that's good in CSM lists? I'm hoping to go Tzeentch stuff because I play pre-heresy thousand sons.

chaos raven guard

You mean the Alpha Legion infantry list?

Alpha Legion infiltrating Berserkers.

Slaaneshi Terminators with combi-plas + Sorcerer

Havocs or quad las Predator

If I have a 6 damage chainsword and I wound four times, does my damage bleed over to the next model or am I just taking off four boyz a round?

4 boys.

Damage never spills over unless yiu're dealing mortal wounds. All you'd do is pulp 4 boyz.

>8888
Strange how much Khorne seems to approve Sneaky Zerkers.

Guard Sergeants can take lasguns right? Please tell me I don't have to keep putting chainsword + pistol on them

Unless you're awesome and are using a giant ass flail, which has a specific rule allowing damage to spill over.

Only the flails the Deathwing Knights and Blightlord Terminators can get carry over, and only one of those per squad.

Nope. I think they are allowed to take bolters still, but no lasguns.

Are CSM getting new models? Also how are WB rules?

no
worst of the bunch

No, unless you like Death Guard.

They're shit.

>Are CSM getting new models?
Never.

>Also how are WB rules?
They just got And They Shall Know No Fear.

hopefully they can in the upcoming codex, seems dumb you can't just have pure rifle sections. Kriegers can out of the FW index

I mean it says in the index that Sarges can take anything from the ranged weapon department, but that doesn't specify anything

Oh well fucking off I guess

Ranged weapons include bolt pistol, bolter, and plasma pistol, IIRC. Thats it. Maybe it will be expanded, probably not.

Not linking in the old thread is how we get 18 different generals you fuck.

40K General can you help me build a 500pt Imperial Guard list? I haven't played in years and not sure what the IG's current meta is. I'm planning on focusing on infantry, and possibly an artillery tank or cheaper russ.

Played a 2k point game against Emperor's Children tonight, trying out the new Steel Legion rules for the first time.

We sued my freshly-ordered mission card deck to randomly draw a mission and deployment type - the mission was Relic, and the deployment was the one where a player deploys in the center while his opponent deploys around all 4 board edges. Kind of cinematic, so we went with it. Chaos is defending the relic, IG is trying to take it.

Still being kind of new to 8th, I actually lsot the game in deployment by trying to keep my army together on one side of the table. As will become clear as turns go on, leaving a weak table side for a character to flee to with the relic cost me the game before it even started, really.

Hopefully that's a dumb mistake I only make once.

It's pretty silly that Sarges can take a bolter but not a fucking lasgun

Where is Sister Fister?

Here's my army, 2000 points.
>2 vet units
>2 conscripts units
>4 infantry units
>Yarrick, Commissar Lord, CC, 3x junior officers
>3 salamander scout vehicles
>1 punisher
>2 heavy bolter squads

Why are you people complaining about that? I mean, it's not like a boltgun costs any points. At least it doesn't in the SM codex, and as that one user once clarified all wargear costs the same across all codexes :^)

>That skull with the cables staring menacingly at the wall in the bottom left
wonder what shit on his day

Here's his. Lots of noise marines and buffing characters, plus some fast and hard hitting units of bikes and jump troops.

Bolter costs one point. Its not the cost that bothers many of us, we just want to give them lasguns for thematic reasons. I think the math also works out in the lasguns favor with FRFSRF.

because it doesn't come in the guard box and don't want to convert
also I want the extra shot from FRFSRF

Codex isn't out yet so no

What do you think Thousand Sons will be getting in general? I'm thinking maybe soulblaze or something else as a legion trait, probably things that help All is Dust or psychic phase things for warlord traits. For relics, I think having certain relic-specific psyker abilities could be pretty neat too.
Wondering if any of WoM's spells are getting ported over too, hoping for Doombolt at the very least. Maybe we could see some of the other witchfires being brought over but given different effects to give them more varied purposes, and maybe something like Siphon Magic as a support spell or stratagem.

boltgun costs IG 1 point, user. Best ranged option to keep sergeants relevant out to 24"

My opponent has this really cool conversion of Doomrider as his warlord. Definite heavy metal theme to his army.

Word Bearers do "okay" as a Daemonkin army since they have special bonuses to summoning daemons and daemons can buff each other and certain CSM units have the daemon keyword.
Basically imagine summoning a Herald within 6 inches of a Maulerfiend, or Mutilators or Possessed.

>Nicely Painted Guard army
>Almost completely unpainted army
Chaosfags Everyone

i saw that on a WIP thread before i swear

I wonder what that monk did to get assigned to read books in the center of a Baneblade

Hey /40kg/, why is the Ork power Da Jump strictly worse than the Grey Knight power Gate of Infinity? And the Ork power Warpath a strictly worse version of the Blood Angel power Unleash Rage? And the Ork power 'Eadbanger a strictly worse version of trying to punt one of your opponent's conscripts off the table when he's distracted?

Don't have the index within reach, so can't give exact point values. I'd suggest trying to fill out a battalion detachment. Get company commanders for your HQ, infantry squads for you troops, commissars for your elites, and a leman russ. For buying things, the first purchases you will want to make is a star collecting box, a company command squad, and another two to three infantry squads. You might also want to get a primaris psyker, since I think those will become HQ choices soon and look to be pretty good at both buffing and killing. For artillery I would suggest getting a heavy weapon squad. Kit them out with mortars and hid them behind a building.

Yeah, I was about to post that too. I recognize it from a few weeks back or so.

Because you get all of them at once.

Tallarn plasma vets in chimeras, infiltrate them all and fire away!.

Why did they ban Wargamer Fritz from youtube?

Turn 1 I unloaded half my infantry to get some krak missile shots into the vehicles on the table. The man-carried rockets and 10x hunter-killer missiles were fired into the marines. As I recall, I took out a rhino and damaged another one, but every single thing I shot at the defiler failed to wound.

The heavy bolter chimeras chewed through the dismounted chaos infantry, almost gunning them down to a man. Conscripts, the punisher, and the heavy bolter teams also drilled the bikes pretty hard.

Some shitfuck reported his channel and Jewtube bureaucracy hasn't brought it back yet

On Chaos' turn he brought in his jump troops, which he warp timed to give them an extra move and then multicharged into my infantry and punisher. Apparently, this until does not take overwatch on the turn they deep strike in, so they hit my lines unmolested, half-killing the russ and taking out 7 of the IG infantry unit. The rest of his army whittled away at the heavy bolter teams and salamanders, trying to take heavy weapons off the field.

>Not reading How to operate a Baneblade for dummies during a battle

Warp Talons are a hell of a drug.

Second round of IG shooting I used the Mount Up! order to rapid fire all my dismounted infantry before loading all of them back into their vehicles, finishing off the remaining marines and bikes on that side of the table.

It was then that I realized how flawed the Mount Up! order was. Since the order is given in the shooting phase, and orders cannot normally be issues from inside vehicles, all my officers ended up ordering my troops to embark into chimeras while they just hung out alone on the table with their dicks in the wind.

The only way around this I can think of is the strategy that allows you to give orders from inside a chimera, but it cost command points and can only be used once per phase...meaning the Mount up! order can really only be effectively used by 2 units max (3 if you have the warlord trait for extra orders). This really took the wind out of my sails but I filed that concern away for the moment.

how best to utilize gravis captain

I heard he was peddling CP on his channel.

I hope the Primaris help take the too much Wolf out of the Space Wolves. I want my Vikings in space dammit.

Choas responded by picking up the relic with Doomrider and just zipping off to the right side of the table...and at this point I realized I had lost. Because his warlord was a character, he can't be targeted unless he is the closest unit...and with his speed, Doomrider really couldn't be caught even by a mechanized army in only 4 turns. I couldn't even shoot at him so long as all those toughness 8, 8 wound creatures were sitting in the table center with 2+ saves.

give him the burning blade relic, field him with Guilliman and make "Dont talk to me or my son ever again" jokes

>Finishes off the majority of the other guy's army by turn two while playing the shittiest regiment with a poor army list and making loads of obvious mistakes
>"I-IG aren't OP guys, you guys! You j-just need to get gud."

Don't hope for anything revolutionary.
My big worry is that it's going to be overtly psychic focused. I know that it's their schtick, but it's baffling how TS don't have access to fucking warpsmiths or goddamn heavy weapons that aren't gattling guns.

Considering how fast attack is a non-existent slot for them, a unit of sorcerers on disks might be a thing. Sorcerer cabal might just be made into a unit to pad the codex.

I think psychic Hellbrutes are very likely since it's a very easy thing to implement with absolutely zero need for new model.

As for the actual psychic powers, I suspect 3 lores, so sorcerers can 2 power per lores and you can make a 9 man sorcerer cabal that knows all their powers or there will be a method for you to break the psychic focus rule.

Or, all the strategems revolve around modifying smite so, you are casting "different" spells but still technically casting smite.

I think every marine codex will add something to the generic primaris range instead of new units specific to those codexes, so there might not be wolfy primaris.

I think he's wanting to avoid the wolfy primaris.

>Actual steel legion models
Nice if metal.
I've cast lead before

Is it just me, or has 8th edition and this primaris crap completely destroyed warhammer 40k?

I haven't been able to make myself play a game since it hit.

this is 40k, characters are expected to lead from the front and engage in challeng- fights. well, most of them anyway

I gave chase with all my IFVs but it was clear after two turns of Benny Hill that I was just not going to catch him. We called it a game and I called it a learning experience.

More than my poor foresight, though, my main disappointment with this game was learning just how bad the Mount Up! order is. Steel Legion already had the weakest rules by far in this book, but this revelation for me that trying to build an army around an order that can only be used on 2 units is impossible has me in a bit of a bind.

Unless GW FAQs it somehow so that Steel Legion officers can mount transports with nearby units, I can't see this order really being useful in any meaningful sense...especially compared to the other regiments in the book.

My opponent suggested that I count my models as Tallarn instead of Steel Legion at least until there is some kind of fix, but I'm not that enthused about it. I'm a steel legion guy, not a tallarn guy, and have been since 1999. He also suggested just not playing any regiment at all, but that kind of defeats the point, as well. Really I don't see a way out of this box.

it's just you
it did the complete opposite for me, i'm actually playing again, 6th and 7th were just that fucking awful.

But hoping, change, and hoping for change is what Tzeentch is about man. You're probably right about not much happening though. Honestly feel kinda doubtful about even things like psychic helbrutes and such,as cool as it'd be. I'm mostly just hoping for cool powers at the very least to make me happy.

>refuse to play games
>hurr durr, the game is daed, amirite?

Fuck off.

A few more fun shots.

>My opponent suggested that I count my models as Tallarn instead of Steel Legion at least until there is some kind of fix, but I'm not that enthused about it. I'm a steel legion guy, not a tallarn guy, and have been since 1999. He also suggested just not playing any regiment at all, but that kind of defeats the point, as well. Really I don't see a way out of this box.
You could just be content to take the slightly less OP regiment from your heinously powerful codex and be content with better, cheaper tanks, unbreakable hordes for pennies, and the best relics and generic stratagems by a mile.

I think vox casters could help. Would be a definite fix if they were longer ranged, but as is you can have an officer chimera trailing the rest of them

Conscripts actually managed to mob and kill this bike lord in melee, which I thought was pretty cool. Had a lucky round with 5 wounds which got 2 rolled 1s out of him.

So your opponent is also an user, he's been posting that doomrider in WIP for a while now.

>Defiler never moves because of the bullshit -1 to hit rule

Fucking christ I hate that rule so much. You could have this awesome crab tank charging around shooting and fighting in close combat.

DG relic, seems pretty nuts

are theyre any unit reviews besides 1d4 chan tactics?

it never should have applied to heavy vehicles at all, it's absolutely asinine that so it took a specific fucking rule for the likes of even the BANEBLADE to not suffer from it, let alone predators or defilers

> What looks like a tonne of kitbashed noise marines, champions with guitars
>Not too optimized list
>Goddamn Doomrider.
Clearly just hopping on the chaos bandwagon.

You have to admit the primaris crap is retarded.
Also, my retirement savings in second hand space marines were completely wiped out.

Defiler is a crap model. It's stupid conceptually and prone to breaking. Fuck that thing

Is good but not OP. Is a good middle tier codex. So far.

Walkers at least should be exempt, since they generally have fewer weapons and actively want to be closer to the enemy.

Except you have to give it to a generic lord, and why would you ever take one of those above Morty/Typhus?

pretty much every forum. also look at chart-user's mathhammer google doc linked in the op to help understand what is actually good and bad against what

demon princes can take it too, and they are competitive with typhus for your hq tax

Officers can't issues orders out of chimeras without burning command points, and with the hard cap of 1 of a given strategy per turn, the most Mount Up! orders that can be given from inside a vehicle is 2...maybe 3 with a warlord trait or something. That's hardly enough to build an army around.

It's more like I wish I had some regimental flavor like the other regiments do, not so much that the rules are weak. The rules don't /work/. You can't just leave your officers in the open waiting to get charged when you are a mechanized force.

>prone to breaking

How? Nothing really looks too fragile on it.

I agree it could use an update.

demon prince of nurgle is boss

A special Thousand Sons dreadnought model that isn't covered in flesh would be great. The helbrute model stand out like a sore thumb between the other dustyboys.

It takes up too big of a footprint and the many legs that rarely sit flat on a terrain means that a lot of weight and leverage work is done against a single leg. I've never seen a defiler painted that didn't have a history of breaking. Also due to the fucking crab hands and legs flailing about, it's also the most contested model for LOS and distance measuring

If any model in the catalog needs a repackaging to include a base, it's that thing.

Defiler basically represent everything I dislike in 40k in one model.

That is why you give them vox casters. They jump out of the chimera, give the order, chimera goes off, next turn infantry dismount and are still within order range.

fought one recently, can confirm, he was surviving countless shots due to 2/5++ and 5+ FNP, not to mention the wings

I am slowly retrieving the oop fw dreads. I have NL and one of the 2 DG. But is a pain.

I run mine with the relic armor and revoltingly resilient for the 4+ FNP. He is truly a nightmare in 1k pt games

In gonna slap it on my Contagion Lord for mortal wound boogaloo

I really get the feeling that if you hadn't bullocks up your deployment, the EC player wouldn't have been able to win. What are your thoughts?

What do people usually run on Bullgryns?

I think the maul is probably the best choice for all situations but I don't know about the shield. I feel like the 2+ is the way to go.