/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/flashing-blades-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
How do you prefer to play the games? Action, intrigue, drama, etc. I prefer investigations myself.
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32584049/#32590233
docs.google.com/document/d/1kGt2e1yMXo_1yr_Z5BeSJDivETiwMVSRkqSNxJjto6Q/pub
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1354144
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1354883
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1354165
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

RichT on Tuesday:
>We're not world wrecking, so much as postulating a setting where all the existing supernatural game lines exist and have a major threat to deal with, or not, as is their wont. As an example for the kinds of crossover settings you might choose to do at your table, and one you can jump right into if you want to use it that way.

>postulating a setting where all the existing supernatural game lines exist and have a major threat to deal with, or not, as is their wont.
Am I reading too much into it or doesn't this mean that by default Supernatural gamelines don't exist in same setting simultaneously?

I don't even understand what he's saying. But whatever, it's probably about something retarded and doomed to failure like most crossover attempts are.

No? They exist. He's talking about crossover and the various supes acknowledging one another, which is already the case.

This is for Contagion Chronicle, but fact he specifically says that in this setting all supes exist makes it sound that writers and developers have moved away from "same setting by default" idea. If that's the case, good riddance.

>If that's the case, good riddance.

It sounds like you're just being insecure.

>If that's the case, good riddance.
What did you have against it? It's not like they were intertwined and you couldn't pick and choose which ones you wanted to exist, like you can right now.

Less "my splat vores your splat," since there is no longer guarantee that either would be exactly same as in their own source books.

I don't understand. You were already free to include what you want, how you want it. Are you just happy about what this means for online arguments?

Kill them with fire.

You guys are weird.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if you were all magically turned into your favorite splats and dropped into a baseball stadium.

>magically turned into your favorite splats and dropped into a baseball stadium.
I'd return to my Golden Road.

What exactly causes Awakening in the Awakening?

Fuck. I didn't think this through.

What is single roll combat, as opposed to the normal way it works?

What causes them as in how they do happen, how do they work, or how does one go through an Awakening?

What causes it? What is it described to be like? Any side effects beyond Access To Unlimited Power of Your Imagination?

Cause as in "What does person do/experience in order to awaken?"
Changelings get kidnapped and escape.
Vampires are chosen by another.
Demons start to question orders.

Put simply, the Supernal is always trying to reach out to your soul, but you're too caught up in the Lie to notice. You start to catch on though, through some event or shift in your life, usually not pleasant, that things are off. Not what they seem. You pick up on the symbols of the Supernal without knowing it, and then most times you'll get into a weird obsession that's personal to you. If you pursue that obsession (which hides a Supernal symbol, hence why you got obsessed), you go deeper into the beginning stages of Awakening, and this is where already Awakened Mages get the opportunity to notice you falling into this pattern and plot to swoop you up as you as soon as you're Awakened. IF you Awaken. Because once you get deeper, the Supernal symbols you were picking up before become more pronounced, more real than real, and at this point you can walk away, like you would choose to stay in bed if you were still half-asleep.

But if you get up, you go into a waking world dream, which is basically a bad trip. You perceive everything as a journey through whatever Supernal Realm you're Awakening to, and it ends with you signing your name, somewhere, somehow, on something important. The Watchtower of your Path, as you're perceiving it. Most times it'll be a literal tower of a kind, but it doesn't have to be.

A small bit of Awakenings take place entirely in the soul, which happens because what triggers your Awakening is especially potent.

So, how do Seers/Guardians disrupt it?

Guardians put up a Labyrinth, basically a huge fake network of sham cults designed to separate the wheat from the chaff, and direct those they see as unworthy from the truth. Literally, they lie to them to keep them off the trail of the Supernal. They won't botch an Awakening in progress (that's dangerous) but they will keep people from getting to the place they need to be to start an Awakening. Seers reinforce the Lie, keeping everyone in shitty status quos so that they don't ask questions and don't even think about hoping that the world might be more than it is. They prefer people to be "sheeple", for lack of a better term. There might be more to that, but I haven't read their book yet.

As for side effects, you become supernaturally aware of supernatural happening, something that you won't ever be able to turn off, and develop a supernatural thirst for finding out what you can about those things. Specifically ones that interest you. You also gain two palpable forces that are a part of you, your Gnosis and your Wisdom. Your Gnosis being your understanding of magic, your ability to make the pieces fit together, and your Wisdom, your ability to control your magic and contain your fuck-ups.

Are all Mages naturally inclined to root out knowledge? Or can they live relatively peaceful and uneventful lives?

>Are all Mages naturally inclined to root out knowledge?
They're inclined to pursue Mysteries and uncover truth. It's something intoxicating to them, and a deep seated urge. Not to mention the fact that you can't learn magic without putting yourself out there and experiencing things. Even if a Mage did manage to resist all of this, ignore his potential and avoid scratching that itch, he would never be totally free of it. You can't turn off your Peripheral Mage Sight, and it picks up on any active supernatural occurrence. Spells being cast nearby, ephemeral beings doing stuff in twilight, any vampire in the crowd around you using a Discipline, and so on. With Attainments, it can pick up on some that aren't active. And you won't know what it is either. You'll only get your tell, what you perceive your Peripheral Mage Sight as. A certain smell, a phantom touch, your bones thrumming, things like that.

Wouldn't that render Mages completely useless in God-Machine Chronicle since Its Infrastructures are literally everywhere generating massive Occult Matrices?

Only mages with certain Arcana can detect God-Machine stuff, not everything shows up on Peripheral Mage Sight.

>any vampire in the crowd around you using a Discipline

Mages can identify other supernatural using their peripheral? Really?

Are they actively doing something? Like exerting an effect in a direct way. Spirits are everywhere, but they don't ping unless they're using their powers, unless you have the Lesser Utility Attainment for Spirit.

Is that something stated in God-Machine Chronicles? Because what Arcana you have doesn't determine what pings your Peripheral Mage Sight, only what you can see with your Active Mage Sight.

Logistic Infrastructure is repeatedly activating to collect data, one of sample Chronicles in core proposed It using drones forget from Spirits of Complexity to scout highways.
There is also Concealment Infrastructure that would do its part in making all other Masquerade conspiracies job easier.

Peripheral Mage Sight pings off any supernatural active effect. It has to be an ACTIVE effect though, not just a vampire or ghost casually existing.

One of Task Force Valkyrie's tools to detect mages is a black box with a camera nearby that does absolutely nothing but slowly leak semi-supernatural gas. Regular people and other supernaturals would just ignore it, but mages look at it and may walk up to it to try to work out WTF.

I imagine this is also a pretty easy way to discover any recently-awakened mages in your city, if you're a mage trying to find the newly Awakened.

They don't identify the source of the supernatural or the nature of it [that requires Arcana], only the presence of something weird.

Identify? No. Peripheral Mage Sight doesn't tell you anything about what happened, only that something happened. So a Mage might be in a bar, drinking and stewing on something while a Daeva uses Majesty on her little crowd, enjoying the attention and doing something manipulative, probably. The Mage's Peripheral Mage Sight picks it up, a scratching feeling right between his eyes. He focuses his Sight, and looks around. If he isn't a Moros, he most likely doesn't have Death as a Ruling Arcana, and so it isn't included in his reflexive activation. He just looks around, doesn't see anything.

If he is a Moros, he sees the vampire. If he doesn't know jack about vampires, he doesn't know anything else except that it's a creature based in Death, and sees her predatory, undead aura. If he knows, he knows, and probably just leaves. If he doesn't know, he wonders, and might try to find out.

If he's a Mage who has made a study of Death and has it as a Common Arcana at at least 1 dot, he might know a thing or two about vampires and has suspicions. He focuses, and opens his Sight to include the symbols of Death (read: spends a Mana and broadens his Active Mage Sight as an Instant Action). Suspicions confirmed, he probably leaves the vampire to it, maybe making notes of her behavior if vampires are an interest of his.

But if a Mage enhanced his/her Sight, couldn't he/she identify the supernatural?

Sounds passive enough to not ping it.

Through the Arcana? Quite easily. For instances Forces 1 could be used to gain thermal sight to realize someone is a vampire, or Life 1 could detect that they weren't alive.

If they use the relevant Arcana in their activation. They also wouldn't go "Hey, that's a Werewolf!" if they looked at one with Spirit if they've never seen one before or learned what they are. They would go "What the fuck is going on with that person?" because they look like a weird, but natural mix of flesh and spirit.

Exactly.

So in the case of the ether-box (a mage-recruiter could duplicate the effect with a spell set to automatically go off at regular intervals), a mage walks into the general area, thinks "huh, my spidey sense is tingling", activates Mage Sight and stares at the weird box. Maybe walks up to it.

Meanwhile a totally camera picks it up. Boom, Mage identified.

that's how I do it in my game, anyway, for a lot of new recruits. Monitoring the internet is hard, searching for people is hard, trying to monitor people for signs of awakening is pure luck, but setting up ether-boxes is dead easy.

Unveiling spells aren't Mage Sight. Forces Mage Sight doesn't detect ambient heat, or body heat. You could tell that a vampire wasn't alive with Life Mage Sight, but all you would know from that is that a corpse is walking around. Not that it's a vampire.

I didn't say through Mage Sight. I thought he was asking could Mages discover supernatural beings in general.

Pretty sure he was asking if a Mage went from Peripheral to Active Mage Sight.

Does 2e still have Prime Aura sight?

Thanks for the conclusive answer and examples. Really helps.

No, I don't think so. Prime Mage Sight doesn't help you see auras, and neither does Supernal Vision.

No problem.

The changes to Prime are the only thing I don't like in 2e.

What changed?

Prime is so much better in 2e though

Space too

Death still kinda sucks (purview is basicallyy a mishmash - dead things, souls, cold and shadows) but that's made up for by Matter still being amazing.

Death really doesn't suck. The new esoteric shit it does is amazing.

Death is great, and makes sense if you consider the symbolism of it and what's associated with it. Shadows are an absence, so is cold. As for souls, I always figured that's because of the concept of the afterlife. Moros like to believe that Stygia was the place souls went after death.

Shadow Flesh is great.

With respect to the God Machine, Dave mentioned that mages don't automatically detect Infrastructure. Mages, however, will detect Output when Infrastructure is combined to do supernatural stuff.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32584049/#32590233

>So I found out out of game that the primary antagonist of the chronicle I am playing is going to be Tzimisce the Eldest. What do I do? I am also playing a Tzimisce

>if you learn that the Eldest is your enemy (it's asleep under New York, eating anything fleshy that comes within about a quarter mile of it)

Actually, in the V20 timeline, we actually find out that the Eldest is no longer residing under New York.

It's part of Beckett's Jyhad Diary: Beckett goes to check it out, and he finds out that whatever was down there (and there's a VERY good chance it was the Eldest, or something close to it in power), has already left.

You can read more about it in the preview here:

>docs.google.com/document/d/1kGt2e1yMXo_1yr_Z5BeSJDivETiwMVSRkqSNxJjto6Q/pub

Basically, the Eldest (Tzimisce Antedeluvian) became lost in... well, itself. It searched for knowledge and when it delved too deep into itself and its unholy body for answers, it became mindless and lost, turning into an all-consuming monster. But, it later re-emerged from its inwards journey, reformed itself into a more mobile form, and left New York behind, searching for its Antedeluvian brethren for "counsel".

So, y'know, if we're following V20 canon, then the Eldest is no longer below New York at least.

speaking of v20 (v20 darkages), why aren't their any stats for weapons in those books?

speaking of v20 (and v20 darkages), why aren't their any stats for weapons in those books?

do we have hol or buthol pdfs in the mega here?

How does your mage deal with their awakening being both the best thing that ever happened to them and the worst experience of their lives?

Obrimos need not reply, we know your awakening was magnificent you don't have to brag about it.

Depends on when it takes place really.

My acanthus awakening is jumping through asteroid field to reach alien looking building.

So can I get opinions, which one of these would you want in your game?
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1354144
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1354883
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1354165

What's that got to do symbolically with being an acanthus?

Is anyone else having problems with MEGA? I keep getting an error just trying to go to the site.

Crossover is cancer. Go play D&D if you want a party of snowflake nonhumans.

Amount of time and random collisions needed to perfectly allighn rocks for me to cross endless black abyss. One chance in aeons.

Contagion Chronicle is thing that is officially being made as cross over setting. Not that it's something I look forward to but I am interested how developers will execute it.

Using Deviant to make Loyal Remade and basically roleplaying dark superhero whose horrible horrible creation and existence can help keep humanity safe from the rest of World of Darkness

Its been said a million times that 2e is designed in such as way as the other game lines are not considered to exist.

Folk still continue to moan about mages needing balanced vs other splats.

If this isnt proof that 2e wasnt/isnt designed with crossovers in mind then i dunno what will shit these faggots up.

My only concern about contagion is that it will all be fluff, and mages will just sort it all out, and the other splats just sit and watch them do it.

So is Rule 0 less of a thing in WoD?

no fun allowed in WoD, its dark and moody.

If you arnt struggling with personal horror then you arnt doing it right.

Anyone ever take part in a PBP or Discord chronicle?

Is it as fun as tabletop or Roll20?

If we would set aside the genre book tries to claim to be in flavor texts and based purely on mechanics, what genre would CofD be most suited for?

superhero games.

Superhero games.

I wasn't advocating player crossover, moron.

>Its been said a million times that 2e is designed in such as way as the other game lines are not considered to exist.
Where?

capeshit

I wouldn't go as far as to say that myself, but Dave's made it pretty clear that we games are designed to be balanced within their own game, not accounting for other splats aside from "make sure things don't use the same terminology too much" and "slap in a side bar in case someone else has another line and this particular thing might touch on it."

is there a torrent for these? Mega is fucked

I knew that already, that the games are going for purely internal balance now, but I've never seen a developer say that the splats are considered not to exist with each other by default.

which order or tradition would Bayonetta be in

Left-Handed, probably.

Are you sure?

Better serviced in either exalted or aberrant

Yeah sounds like a big part of what they do is summoning demons. Like badwrong demons, not goetic demons.

Bayo doesn't have super powers though, she gets them from a demon

Scooby-Doo monster of the week.

These people are liars, MtAW2e players, or thinking of cWoD. The combat rules in CofD are too godawful to play capeshit punchups.

I know. Fluff is kinda irrelevant though, WoD wasn't meant to let you do things like kick a jet plane coming right at you sixty feet into the air or headbutt a skyscraper across the city.

Beats can lift a skyscraper apparently. so stfu.

get with the program, fangs and faggot capes!

>These people are liars, MtAW2e players, or thinking of cWoD. The combat rules in CofD are too godawful to play capeshit punchups.

It's not like that stops other superhero games.

>Apperently
So you're basing this off of stuff you don't even know for sure, great.
And we'll yeah there are certain parts of WoD that do power decent, nothing allows you to regularly do the sort of stuff your average platinum hero does

Which splat? Blue book is still horror I would say

>Bayonetta as a Baali

Fuck off twat.

I am not delving into Beast to find some confirmation to what Beast players say they can do.

I'd rather jump into a pool of dogshit and swim 1000km in it before reading Beast.

Acanthus Awakenings can be pretty dope. Just not always.

Mastigos have it the worst.

>Chadow Lord
>has both eyes

It's just something that's behind him now. Or so he says.

is there anyone kind enough to help me?

It happens. Try another browser. I'm currently using Firefox.

I'm on Chrome, it's working fine for me.