Game Shilling Containment Thread

Since everyone is always trying to shill his favorite game, why not make a whole thread dedicated to it?

Go shill your game and tell us why we should play it.

As for myself I'd like to recommend the black hack because I always liked my fantasy murder hobo adventures with simple and efficient rules.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1z0wOW9g8qnuVEYnpxymhfw6KuNW6_nkRIrHqmw8tUbI/edit#heading=h.7n8mib8r7nde
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let's be honest, 99.9% of people are going to keep playing the flaming dumpster fire that is DnD, no matter how much better the alternatives are. Sad but true.

I'm philosophically opposed to calling people who want to talk about their favorite traditional game, on a board called traditional games shills.

That said, black hack is pretty good, so maybe you aren't an entirely shit person OP.

I never got that you know. I've been playing for over ten years now, and only played AD&D for like two months, decided it sucks, dropped it and never came back.

I will not shill anything 'cause my favourote games are now 40krpgs and shilling them is heresy.

I picked up 5e after months of my friends begging me to learn it. Played 3 campaigns total. Decided it sucked so bad I honestly had more fun doing complete freeform, despite all the autism and god-modding that comes with THAT format.

Looked into some other systems like STRIKE, Dungeon World, Barbarians of Lemuria... all better than DnD, but I don't have a single IRL friend who's even heard of them, they'd rather just keep playing the literal garbage that is DnD. It's so so fucking depressing. Yes, this is probably a shitpost, but it feels good to vent.

Eh, might as well.

So it's a game my friends and I have been working on for the last three or so years, and is nearing the point where we can officially publish it. It's called Rules of Creation, and its main draw is that the races, classes, spells/techniques and rituals are all created and customized from the ground-up. Not in the same way that games like FATE are 'fully customizable' through proxy of making up effects and character quirks from scratch, mind you, but by offering plenty of tools for players to mix-and-match to create the characters they have in mind.

Our main hurdle at the moment is finding options that are unbalanced, which is difficult when there's only a small group of us testing it. That said, we've had fun playing in a few year-long campaigns, and other players have liked playing around with it too, so it's in a playable state at the moment. But we need feedback from outside our social circle so we can tell what's shit and what needs to change.

Here's the link, apologies if it takes some time to load: docs.google.com/document/d/1z0wOW9g8qnuVEYnpxymhfw6KuNW6_nkRIrHqmw8tUbI/edit#heading=h.7n8mib8r7nde

If you can get around the furshit, ironclaw is a decent system

I'd play something else if it was easy to learn.
I can't absorb these giant systems with multiple rulebooks and everything else.
Even "small" games are too dense for me.

I can't stand how the actual rules and mechanics of the game are explained.
All rulebooks feel like someone took a board game rule sheet and pasted random lines from it into a fantasy novel.
I'd love to play something else if it hard taught you how to play the fucking game and saved all the lore shit and fluff for after that.

Please, seriously. Name one game that's easy to learn and good at explaining the mechanics.

>Knows DnD
>Thinks other games are too complicated

Man, are you like... literally retarded? DnD is one of the most bogged down overly complicated systems in existence, ignoring joke games like FATAL. 300+ page rule book and tons of expansion material is somehow easier than games that are 150 pages or less?

DnD 5e is actually 600+ pages, if you read both the Player Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guidebook. But DnDrones will still defend it as a "simplified" system.

No, but maybe you're literally retarded for wrongly assuming I learned from reading the books and not from playing with people that introduced it to me and them explaining the rules as we played.

I can't do that when everyone around me plays D&D and nothing else.
Any online group I've come across has been hostile to teaching and tell you to learn the system.

>Name one game that's easy to learn and good at explaining the mechanics.
GURPS.

It's not for everyone, but the material is pretty clear and basically all you ever have to do is roll 3d6.

>Any online group I've come across has been hostile to teaching and tell you to learn the system.
They have a point, man. Time is a finite and precious commodity.
When I'm playing a game, I want to actually play a game. Not teach someone who outright states he doesn't want to go to the effort of learning the game the way I did: by reading the books.

I get that. I mean, fuck, we live in the Information Age, anything and everything you would ever need to know about a game including how to run it can be found online in videos, write-ups, reviews and more.

D&D is good and you know it, Mr Fun-Is-A-Buzzword faggot.

Define 'good'. It's in a playable state, sure.

And McDonald's is technically edible.

Been playing GURPS steadily for a handful of years now. Recently tried Pathfinder but now I regret it all (but I can't stop now cause I'm the GM)

Yeah, I love my game where casters get to say "fuck the rules" every 5 seconds, martials can't do shit except hit things, HP bloat starts to ruin the entire game before you're even halfway to max level, and every time you try to do anything fun or new, the rules either say you can't or punish you severely.

Seriously, seeing people defend DnD is like seeing a girl in an abusive relation try to claim her boyfriend "is really a nice guy" while she's staring at you with a black eye and swollen cheek.

Go back to shilling DungeonWorld. you were better at it.

40kRPGs really suck though, mechanically. They're only good because of source material.

>I have no counter argument, so my choices are to say "YOU HATE FUN" or start autistically screeching "BAIT!"

Well, at least you didn't choose the bait option.

To be fair, if user started doing that, it is sorta of the THE POINT OF THE TOPIC.

My favourite System is Don't Rest Your Head's System.

It does exactly what you want it to do in the game:
It asks you to take risks and gamble with what you have.

Sure your standard three will dice might be enough, but maybe you could invest some exhaustion... that you won't be able to get rid of and brings you closer to the edge.

Or maybe you'd like to invest some of those magical power dice... but that just makes it more likely you'll turn into a mnoster yourself.

It's simple and degenerates your characters, I use it for body horror games a lot and will use an altered version of it for my halloween game.

Alternity is fucking mint for running 40k RPGs.

I love how you DnDrones are so self-conscious and so secretly aware that your system of choice sucks that you feel the need to come on topics that are deliberately about NOT DnD and get all butthurt and defensive about it in order to stave off your own remorse over putting up with it.

That or you guys think all of Veeky Forums belongs to you and nobody else is allowed to talk about any alternatives ever.

Either way, you have a containment topic, please stay in it.

Seems interesting, gonna check it out

Isn't the FFG one actually kinda good, just also a bit boardgamey?

If you yourself knew system you liked and didn't feel insecure about maybe you'd talk about it instead of complaining how popular system is shit and people who happen to enjoy it are sheeple, IN A THREAD ABOUT PROMOTING GAMES.

I look forward for them to release Genesys. Been looking for simpler generic system.

You mean like I and everyone else have been doing already? Go home kid, stop trying to save e-peen on an ANONYMOUS image board.

ntg and I come from /v/, but I think you guys are too easy to bait

>ignoring the fact that he's the one who brought up D&D in the first place
REALLY?

>Not that guy
Hi again, DnDrone user.

But for serious, yeah, Veeky Forums is super easy to bait. Especially since DnD is going through the same kind of death spasms that Pathfinder was going through a year or two ago. Hopefully we get something decent to replace it this time.

Saying "not that guy" is the quickest way to confirm that it's still you.

On the off chance that it's not, I'm just going to say that while alot of the DnD hate is memes, there's a good deal of it that is, in fact, legitimate problems with the system that have gone unaddressed for years now. There is a rather large number of anons who want something better to play, and come to topics like this looking for that better thing.

The reason this shit never ends though is because, as the first few anons mentioned, good luck actually finding anyone who plays anything except DnD in large enough numbers to get a game going. Especially in real life. I know the pain well, so I'm one of those drones who puts up with DnD despite hating it. A bad game is better than no game.

>samefagging accusation and lames hopes
worse than dnd apologists, check your conscience

>death spasms
>still the single most played game anywhere
Uh huh.

5e becoming mostly generals and shit-posts like stat-me's certainly contributes to that perception.

Pathfinder still has own generals and active community. I don't see what the hell kind of delusion you have about ot being dead.

I was simply pointing out why some people might think it's dead. Generals are kinda bad for meaningful discussion in my opinion, as they tend to be the same topics over and over again. But now I risk getting into board meta-bitching, and I'd rather avoid a possible ban by continuing it.

Anons tend to think of a system as dead when popular opinion on Veeky Forums turns against it.

It's more like Veeky Forums-specifically dead.

I get the basics behind GURPS but got really confused when it came to combat. How does it work?

Roll to attack your target.
If hit, target rolls to defend (Dodge, Parry, w/e)
If defense fails, roll damage.
Subtract armor from damage.

you roll 3d6 and try and get under your skill to attack. You add their passive defense to the roll. If they chose to take an active defense, they try and get lower than your roll as well as under their skill. If they fail to actively defend and you have rolled under your skill+their passive defense, you do damage at that point.

Again, Veeky Forums opinion only turned against DnD because it has a number of pretty substantial outstanding problems that haven't been addressed in a meaningful or satisfying way over the years.

Yes, was an asshole about it, but issues like Caster Supremacy, HP bloat, Rules Bloat, the swinginess of D20, are still sore points for alot of veteran tabletop players and legitimate parts of the game that could be done better. Unfortunately WoTC seems more interested with pumping out poorly-designed play-test classes and adding more the game than they do with fixing what's already there.

I agree, but I still wouldn't call 3.PF dead. There's an active community that's apparently either willing to overlook those flaws, or blissfully unaware of them.

I'd say they're dumb either way, but who am I to judge?

>make thread to shill games
>descends into arguing about and, edition wars, AND shitting on PF
they weren't lying when they said /tg doesn't play games

It's just WHFRP 2e updated poorly.

I guess this is my home now...

May as well put up some decor...

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is the best fantasy rpg I've ever seen. It's the only rpg system I've seen with a balanced magic system. I'll be happy if 4th edition is just 2nd edition reprinted with additional content.

Forming support around something being wrong or bad has always been easier than trying to put forward an effort to be positive and supportive. What you are experiencing are the people sore about playing D&D because the flaws are gearing to them despite most people having fun playing the game, even if most of the flaws are gearing because they have been told how awful the problems are.

I play 5e and enjoy it a lot more than Pathfinder which I also play, and I’m about to play Starfinder after our Curse of Strahd game ends. As DM, I have run campaigns in: 3.pf, Dungeon World, 5e, Mythras, Star Wars EotE, and a few others. I have played in just as many. I still like D&D.

My favorite game is still Mythras, and the most interesting is Dogs in the Vineyard. I find Strike! to be mediocre and the presentation makes my eyes bleed, most FFG games to have derivative mechanics with a handful of interesting ideas, OSR games to be OK I guess, and most indie titles to be good for their one thing so I tend to use them when they would be best to use in a campaign and not as the main system for a campaign.

True that. Hence no shilling as I said