Competitive Modern General

Artifacts edition

Which brown (ok, grey right now) deck you like the most? Can Tezzerator come back?

Playing?
Hating?
Thoughts on the meta?
Meme tech?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/779655#paper
mtgtop8.com/event?e=16998&d=305126&f=MO
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Which brown (ok, grey right now) deck you like the most?
Affinity.
>Can Tezzerator come back?
Was Tezzerator ever really a thing in Modern?
>Playing?
Affinity, duh.
>Hating?
Nothing really.
>Thoughts on the meta?
Modern is good right now.

I like Blue Steel.
Tron should gets some nerfs.

Meh, Tron is good but it isn't dominating the format. I'd rather not risk messing up the format when it's in a good place.

I miss my old affinity deck. Maybe one day I'll rebuild it.

Would Panharmonicon work in Allies outside Commander?

I still have a Disciple of the Vault combo deck lying somewhere. Does that count as a artifact deck?

How is it that Wizards managed to print a tribal set with Merfolk in it and included no reprints of cards to make decks cheaper? Why is it okay for them to hold off all the "good" Merfolk cards for the Duel Deck instead of putting them into standard so it will actually drive down their price?

Either they thought they were too good for Standard or they purposefully didn't want to drive down the price. Despite what you might hear, the Wizards clearly takes the secondary market into consideration.
>Why is it okay
Because they can do pretty much whatever they want.

P.S. The most expensive cards in Merfolk aren't even Merfolk.

Should i run remand in storm or I? I see different builds and I'm wondering if there's a reason behind it

Do you honestly think that the Duel Decks will have any good cards?

Yes. Remand works well with Baral and the actual Storm cards (e.g. remand Grapeshot and then recast it, you still get all the copies).

I first heard about affinity when it was a thing in standard, with disciple of the vault and all that shit

I built the proper, modern affinity now that I'm not a little timmy but a part of me still wishes broodstar was playable

they better reprint the only good goblin guide art

>Which brown (ok, grey right now) deck you like the most? Can Tezzerator come back?
I think he's good but there isn't a real base for him yet. UB would need to get a way to play and ULT him in one turn for the deck to be a serious thing.
>Playing?
Trinket/trophy glint/whirr Ub artifact control, or just silver bullets if you want a simpler name.
>Hating?
Tron has given me a lot of trouble but the match up doesn't seem impossible. I'm interested to see how fucked I'll get by burn or shadow.
>Thoughts on the meta?
Feels very open, glad to see it like this.
>Meme tech?
Hex parasite has been a lot more practical then I'd expect from my side board. With RW walkers and Tron it's got a lot of targets.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured

I think they'll have singletons of cards like Cursecatcher, Lord of Atlantis, and Merrow Reejerey, but that's it. Maybe a Spreading Seas if they're feeling sassy.

Goblins will just be a pile of shit but that's because the only expensive one is Guide and they can't reprint him again or his price will dip too much.

>Guide in a Duel Deck
They'd rather reprint Tundra than put an expensive card like that in a duel deck.

He looks so worried and concerned, like he's having to make the tough call of which perilous path to lead his party through.

Isn't rabble master still worth something?

Around $3, he's probably a prime choice then.

My vote is on legion loyalist

Tron needs a nerf of some kind, preferably in the form of a new card. Like, 2R destroy up to two target nonbasic lands, their controller may search their library for up to two basic lands and put them onto the battlefield tapped

Actually, looking at the card on tcgplayer, apparently people were trading Fetchlands for Goblin Rabblemasters. That's fucking hilarious. Why on earth would you trade something that's a staple for every deck for a card that only sees play in one tier C deck? Standard must be one hell of a drug.

I wish they reprinted Goblin Strike and Brightstone Ritual.

what would you boys do to make this deck better? I'm thinking about just removing Blood Moons or at least adding a basic plains for the Blood Moon.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/779655#paper

I dunno man. Are there a lot of matchups where you just outright win with blood moon? If there are, you should probably think about getting your basic plains somewhere

If you're not using it, think about what matchups fuck you up and substitute the moons in your sideboard accordingly

>play Death & Taxes
>Tron can't do shit
Maybe you should play decks that are good against it instead of crying about nerfs

>tfw b/w token completely disappeared

There's a list under the budget section.

Blood moon exists you shitter

>Modern games should boil down to the questions of 1) are you running the silver bullet, and 2) did you draw the silver bullet

Fun fact: Blood moon is not an instant win against Tron.
I don't really have a problem with Tron, just putting that out there.
>implying Tron only loses to Blood Moon
Believe it or not, there are decks that have a naturally good matchup against Tron. Don't want to run one of them? Fine, but stop whining that your deck can't beat everything out there.

That's literally how it's been since the formats inception and it's similar to that I legacy

You must have not played Standard during M15 season. RDW was top tier until about midway through Khans block, and even then, pretty much any deck with R in it wanted at least 3 rabbles. On top of that, people were speculating on the card pretty hard, thinking it could be playable in Legacy/Vintage (as a threat that takes over thr game in a format with little removal). It was a strange time.

>2017
>There are still people that think Blood Moon hoses Tron

Some things never change. I bet there are still people who think that Desolator Magic makes good points about Modern.

As someone who runs 4x blood moon in the main, can confirm. You need to also be fast enough to win by turn 5 while skipping your turn 3 to play blood moon

>T3 Blood Moon
>laughing_arbor_elf

What cards would you ban, Veeky Forums?

What cards would you unban?

I would unban:
BBE
Birthing Pod
DRS
Dig Through Time
Green Sun's Zenith
JTMS
Mental Misstep
Preordain (NOT ponder though)
Skullclamp
SFM
Treasure Cruise
Artifact Lands

I would ban:
Back to Nature
Blood Moon
Inkmoth Nexus
Monastery Swiftspear

filtered

>tfw death and taxes with ld and can't get enough of tron matchups

I was assuming blood moon as a sideboard card

honestly I just really hate blood moon. I'll think about it.

How do I get into low level meta?

What exactly do you mean by that?

Fuck off retard

I've seen some people running 4 main, I do 2 personally and another in side. only have to get to 9 storm is ridiculous

Waiting for the next artifact set so we can get another 2 or 3 cards that maybe make it into decks.

What kaladesh artifacts even made it into decks?

Actual artifacts? Pretty much just Scrap Trawler (though I've seen an Affinity variant with Bomat Courier), but a few artifacts-matter cards made it. Spire of Industry, Glint-Nest crane, and Inventors' Fair come to mind.

What's with the sudden appearance of jeskai control?

Jeskai control has been around forever. If you mean why it put up some results, it just happened to be the right environment.

control always rises when the meta settles, because they can match their answers to threats appropriately

Modern is too diverse for that to really happen, and it doesn't help that Tron is a top tier deck. If you look at the Jeskai "Control" lists that have been doing well, they're really Jeskai Midrange, able to pivot into an aggro role with cards like Geist.

>if you don't win by casting sphinx rev for 15 you're not real control

No, but if your game plan is to land geist and go bolt-snap-bolt to win the game fast, then you aren't control.

If your game plan is to counter and remove your opponent's threats then play a resilient finisher, you're not mid range. Key word resilient, in case you think goyf and geist are alike just because they do a lot of damage.
At the most aggressive jeskai control plays a tempo game, which is itself a subset of control.

>If your game plan is to counter and remove your opponent's threats then play a resilient finisher, you're not mid range.
If your game plan is to trade resources then use cards that are individually powerful to finish the game, lacking inevitability, you're not control. Key word inevitability.
>At the most aggressive jeskai control plays a tempo game, which is itself a subset of control.
>aggro-control is a subset of control
By that logic, midrange is a subset of control since it's control-aggro.

Thought scour vs opt in gifts storm. Which are you taking and why?

Alternatively;
Are you running opts in your current pile of choice? How has it performed?

How are geist, snapcaster, cryptic and electrolyze not inevitability? Unless you're Gx tron and plan on playing ulamogs, you can't exactly wait jeskai control out. They're going to answer your threats, keep their hand full thanks to 2 for 1s, and win the game as you run out resources. Not unlike an archetype some refer to as control

Opt seems like an easy choice. Does storm even run thought scour?

Some lists prefer it. Caleb Scherer among others has run it at multiple points

People weren't running scour in storm before, why would they start now?
Tried opt in grixis control, felt good but the deck matches up really shit in the current meta.
Really enjoyed opt in eternal command, never liked serum visions in the deck before and it's a great replacement.
Been trying out a couple combinations of opt in grixis shadow. A total of 12 cantrips gives a lot of selection, but I find I can be spending a whole lot of time doing nothing in match ups I need to be aggressive. Some split of serum visions and opt might be best, totally 10 cantrips.

So any deck with removal and card advantage is control?
>They're going to answer your threats, keep their hand full thanks to 2 for 1s, and win the game as you run out resources
Alternatively, they'll just bolt-snap-bolt you, giving the deck the ability to pivot between an aggressive and a controlling role depending on the matchup. Not unlike an archetype some refer to as midrange

Finally, a real argument
This is honestly tough. Scout hits more cards, which is great if you're digging for something, even if you mill it you can flash it back. The problem is that you get a random card out of it, and if you mill a baral and you need one you're fucked since you can't get it back.
Opt doesn't put anything in the yard, at most you can go through one less card, but the top card you get isn't always random.
However you run into some drawbacks; if you run opt, you can't run fetches as efficiently since you waste scry, which can be a drawback if games go longer.
Honestly I think the verdict is cut something and just run opt along side all the other cantrips. Maybe not as a 4-of but it's still solid

>if you run opt, you can't run fetches as efficiently since you waste scry
This is only a problem with Serum Visions, not Opt

It's not as big a problem with opt but in conjunction with visions it becomes more of one
Not like people are running fetches in the deck anyway

>midrange
>pivot between aggressive and controlling
yeah, like when azban needs to end the game fast so they don't cast their thoughtseize? Can't cast my goyf this turn, if they resolve a creature then all my removal inexplicably won't work the next turn! Who could forget 'bolt snap bolt', a mainstay in mid range decks like twin, delver, and nahiri 'mid range'

>It's not as big a problem with opt
It's literally not a problem with Opt, you scry 1 card, then you draw 1 card, all as the spell resolves. It's effectively Sleight of Hand, but you don't get to see the second card.

And if you scry a bad card to the bottom and then fetch you waste the scry
There's a reason as nauseam doesn't run fetches

>midrange
>pivot between aggressive and controlling
If you don't understand how roles work in Magic and how midrange decks change roles depending on the matchup, I'm wasting my time.

>And if you scry a bad card to the bottom and then fetch you waste the scry
No, because you draw the next card right away, and then you're back to more or less random cards. After fetching the fact that card could be anywhere in your deck is a tiny, tiny factor. It's not comparable to putting a good card on top with Visions and then having to fetch it away to cast a spell.

The reason Ad Naus doesn't run fetches is because their lifetotal is very important against aggro decks. They aren't always fast enough to race, so they need every life point they can get. Lantern is the same way. If you can run the painless manabase, you do.

I'm sorry GBx doesn't make any intelligent decisions user, you'll have to pretend to be smart elsewhere. Don't let picking what card to take with thoughtseize break your pretty little head now.

>Modern is too diverse
ayy

>implying bolt-snap-bolt requires a great deal of brain power

shhhh, it's ok user. Maro made sure to remove those feel bad cards from standard, you can go play midrange and show everyone how skilled you are at playing big creatures.

Holy fuck you retard I'm not talking about fetching in the middle of fucking Opt's resolution, fetching AFTER opt has resolved will shuffle a card you don't want back into your deck. That's literally the fucking reason Ad Nauseam doesn't run fetches, people did it in the past but the current manabase adds a lot more consistency to the deck. The problem isn't shuffling one card you don't want into your deck, it's shuffling multiple back into your deck in a combo deckgo trying to off as fast as fucking possible. Fetches in Ad Naus isn't about life at all you fucking dunce, the deck is already favored against aggro because it has a million ways to extend its life total.
If you play say, opt and serum visions and you scry both to the bottom , and then shuffle, there's a greater than 5% chance to draw that dead card. That's from using two fucking cantrips, the odds just get worse and worse the more cantrips you use and then shuffle. Shuffling is so bad in a deck that's trying to dig as ddep as possible to get the cards that it wants you fucking retard

>go play midrange and show everyone how skilled you are at playing big creatures
Yeah, it's not like Death's Shadow Grixis has so many lines that even skilled players get slow play warnings or anything.
>inb4 DSG is control
ayy lmao

You keep on thinking that countering spells and drawing cards makes you better.

>>You keep on thinking that countering spells and drawing cards makes you better.
I thought you were the one playing GDS here? Or do those not count now?

Wait... do you seriously think Grixis Death's Shadow is control?

I seriously think it draws cards and counters spells, something you think is worth looking down upon. I realize you've probably played only jund for the last millennia , but you will have to learn what a counterspell is now that you've picked up another deck.

The assumptions you're making are hilarious, but I don't think drawing cards and countering spells is worth looking down upon. What I do think is that drawing cards and countering spells does not require more thought than playing big creatures and swinging, something that you seem to look down upon.

Well that's ok user. You can think playing big creatures takes as much skill as you like.

And you can think that piloting 'control' means you're more skilled than little Timmy, even after the entire playgroup tells you that they don't want around anymore because of your lousy attitude.

I'm sorry your play group bullies you for being a timmy user. I'm sure there's a group of 12 year olds who love casting big creatures out there that's a perfect fit for you.

I do Peer Through Depths in place of thoughtscour, im not sure about opt, has anyone tried it in their storm lists?

Fuck you, mm 2017 had the best goblin guide art

What are some good janky brews that can steal some games? I stream sometimes, and I want some spicy decks. I was on Mono-Black Tron with Dark Confidants and Torment of Hailfire and that was pretty sweet, but now I want to try something different.

>Thoughts on the meta?
i want loam attrition strategies to become powerful. also, is cloudpost really too strong for modern?

how's this mtgtop8.com/event?e=16998&d=305126&f=MO

The two jank decks I'm running right now are RG Warp World and a tweaked version of Conley Woods' Intruder Alarm deck.
Both can win pretty consistently and they're super fun when they do.

What's the Warped World list like? The Conley deck is something I'm into, but don't currently have the pieces for. High up on the list of decks though.

Now THIS is podracing.

So I just spent 90$ on a budget eldrazi tron deck. It is missing walking ballistas, thought-knot seers, and eldrazi temples in favor of endless ones, eldrazi mimics, wastes, mask of memory and a couple skull clamps. Any idea how it'll fare vs a constructed deck?

>skullclamps
It won't fare well because it's not legal in any format this side of Vintage.

Oh... I didn't realize skullclamp is on the ban list. I like mask of memory since I can use the creature-heaviness of this deck to generate a card advantage, so I'm comfortable running another copy and some 1-off tech instead.

12Post is a stronger Tron. The have one less mana t3, but they have way more later on, plus lifegain from just playing lands. I don't think I have to tell you how good it is to have more mana available.

Would eldrazitron become eldrazi post? Or would it just replace Gx tron?

The only reason why anyone would want Tron over 12post is that they get Karn out a turn sooner, and that is when they fully assemble. 12post is more consistent since it doesn't need 3 specific cards. Tron would likely just be budget Post if Cloudpost were legal.

They can still get 7 on turn 3 with cloudpost->cloudpost->glimmerpost.

You're right, I was thinking about getting the most mana out as fast as possible. So yes, there is literally no reason to run Tron over 12Post.