Malifaux General

Malifaux General: Controversial Opinions Edition.

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ
BrokeLenn Promises: mega.nz/#!F4UDWIQD!HPHQPzKYpPSHr8QfTRrfaCkgjdauyp-WBCVQf1WTHxI

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A
Through the Breach 2E - mega.nz/#!nBIClLhS!zNSsWVb1s-V45vK_C010xVc9LWWt-nMg0mk-G-MY7dw

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!5hk0QDbL!cjirsBN_iYbxJP0gSNs0LqWsXrEXD70CE6-hZcXc6M4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Malifaux General: Controversial Opinions Edition
I thought that was last edition.

Don't judge me.

I've got no response to criticize, I'd put is making a new one for 50 posts.

I've been meaning to ask:
What models would you want to see in New waves?

Masters having an upgraded Avatar form is neat, but I think a downgrade would be cool too. A lot of masters started as henchmen or lower last edition, it would be cool to see a wave that had all the latter we know have henchmen versions. Could be a prequel sort of thing.

It's not a controversial opinion.

The entire gremlin faction needs to be remade frm the ground up.

How so?

>The entire gremlin faction needs to be ground up.
FTFY

Does anyone have the full collection of these?

Malifaux needs to be remade from the ground up.
3.0 when?

Where is the link to last thread?

>Malifaux needs to be remade from the ground up.
No.
There are things that need cleaning up a bit, but the system works.

But I think it's going to have to go to asequel/prequel Veteran or Season type system next cycle, or it will finally collapse into unplayability (in terms of the game M2E was written as).

As I understand it, M2E is designed to be very well balanced when both players are similarly skilled AND both are very knowledgeable about the pieces involved - it works best when both players know both players' factions inside out.

Now that the range is so wide, and the models being written for such narrow niches and Rube-Goldberg roles, it seems to be creeping back into being a gotcha game.

Here: OP, be less of a faggot next time.

Also, BrokeLenn Promises was a shitty joke that I'm ashamed of putting up there, and should not be pasta'd further.

Unless you got mechanical improvements worth more than 10 pages of changes, you got no reason to get a new edition.

Also new edition don't mean shit for improving the game, just look at warmahordes

4 more years!
4 more years!

To the guy from last thread talking about ressurs returning after the ball, don't forget Reva has been spreading ressurectionism and her shieldbearers offer aid to any necromancers or intelligent undead who can prove they aren't seamus tier douchebags.

Is this in the chronicles? I don't remember that bit.

No, its literally reva's entire character concept from her and her crews vignettes.
The Shieldbearer information in TTB core rules spells it out more explicitly. Shieldbearers are the men and women who take up arms against injustice in the name of Reva.

It doesn't honestly. There seems to be a few butt hurt players that think that drunk&reckless and reckless are too OP, despite Gremlins not preforming well competitively.

Same reason Stuffed Pigs "had to be" nerfed. Players who aren't me shouldn't have nice things.

>vignettes
We only got the one, when she was introduced.
>The Shieldbearer information in TTB core rules spells it out more explicitly.
Ah gotcha.

Every unit in the game has a short story/description and its implied between the shieldbearer, corpse candle and Reva descriptions, so its not hard to piece it together even without the longer description in TTB.

Have anybody tried Wong with his new "lightning jump everyone in range" upgrade? Is it worth its slot? How do you put Wong in position and protect him from any enemy model just engaiging him?

Unless I missed something, none of those imply that Reva lending shield-bearers to "friendly" resurrectionists .

Last report I heard was of the Guild failing to track her crazy cult as it moved deeper into the quarantine zone.

Eh? It talks about how her zombies follow her out of intellect and loyalty and how her shieldbearers take up arms to fight for "those around them".
Its really super not hard to read between the lines here.
Also she doesn't lend them, the shieldbearers aren't her puppets or servants, they go help out fellow ressurs on their own.

St.Clair in the fluff says that wild undead are hostile killing machines, and that they only seem to be docile and helpful when Reva's around. Which if true would make it hard to spread ressurectionism.

Although that might be out the window with Asura Rotten also setting up Rottenburg as a haven for "nice" undead.

What do people use Death Marshals for?
I really like the models, but the stat card seems uninspiring.

Burying things.

So it prevents lot of destruction based effects and denies corpse tokens.

It's also used as transportation method for more unreliable models like Papa Loco

Would like to see the Void Hunters make it into the game

>Void Hunter
Is that something from TTB?

Yes

Void Hunters are like The Nothing Beast, they are functional non-existing creatures. Like the Nothing Beast they make non-functioning ones (void wretches) in order to avoid existence. Basically the longer they stay in the material world, the more of them starts to exist so they cut those bits off, which form void wretches.
They seem to be a little bit like hounds of tindalos, except more literally houndlike. They are creepy shit that doesnt follow our physical laws and loves to eat time travelers.

>hounds of tindalos
Neat

Vincent is insane. I don't think anyone, including Reva takes him seriously he is a man pushed over the edge by his work and views Reva as a way to reconcile his guilt with his hatred for undead.
I mean even before Reva the Gorgons servants (kirai, molly) produced reasonable undead, its only the grave spirit that makes asshole undead. There's no reason to believe TT necromancy or Domador necromancy is inherently bad either, though the only major TT necromancy practitioner we know of is a huge fucking asshole who purposely made his undead evil and only raised the most vile people to begin with. In some of the stories there are other people a bit like Kirai, but seemingly without a connection to the Gorgon. I remember in one story there's a lady who calls upon flaming wheel spirits to defend the little kingdom from thieves and shit.
Before Reva came out Under Quarrantine explicitly stated there are a LOT of people like Molly, not just a few and if we want to go really far back the Pale Rider is probably the oldest example of "not evil" undead. Crooligans also are good guys, they only usually kill those that engage in the act of domestic violence according to TTB and even in their weird backstory poem in 2e they only focus on their target and ignore the guy trying to save him, leaving him unharmed.

In the sense they fuck with time travelers, not the cool going through corners things. Mechanically they are just the medium point between nothing beast and void wretches, though they create void wretches when damaged which should have been an NB ability from the start.

Friendly undead seem lame. But I guess some people will make an effort to turn any faction into the good guys.

If you're GMing, you could always houserule that the Nothing Beast does too.

Imagine this:
>Titania decides she wants to a little recon into the city of Malifaux, to ’’see the enemy through her own eyes’’
>Aeslin objects, but alas she is the queens bottom bitch
>She illusions her wings and bleeding eyesockets away, gaining pretty ember green eyes
>She takes a boat leading into the city
>the story goes from her smiling at how many mimics she can sense in every crevice of the city
>to her being socially awkward and flustered at people handing her flowers and even one drunken sailor grabbing her butt
>she runs into a lightly populated café to gather herself
>a rough looking man in a coat and widebrimmed hat, shoos away a rude younger boy trying to charm her
>they strike off some more more mature conversation, even getting a smirk across her face at a crude compliment from him
>they wander about the town for hours, her pretending she’s a poor newcomer to the city
>this goes on into the evening
>They sit on the shores of the river, enjoying some festivities in one of the more asian-populated parts of town
>He invites her home
>she apologetically refuses, for obivious reasons
>he shrugs and she experiences one of the weirdest parts of human behaviour
>a goodbye kiss on the cheek
>time skip to her returning to her Autumn court
>Aeslin basically going ’’So, how’d it go?’’
>turned back, smiling ´´None of ya business’’
>idk how to end it

I was talking about the fact he lacks that power in Malifaux.

Friendly undead make a lot more sense than the idea all undead are one or the other. Malifaux has never had the idea that "undead" is a unifying thing, Jack Daw, Abominations, The Gorgon, The Grave Spirit and Yan Lo's asian shit and now Domadors are all explicitly different approaches to necromancy. It seems to me that Reva is probably Gorgon powered and Von Schtook is almost certainly Grave Spirit though, even though they aren't explicitly stated.

Shit story and basically a rehash of several Lillith, Pandora and Molly stories only with less murder.

How are people running Tara lately? Do you actually bring a bunch of her upgrades?

From the anons who brought you TTB 2nd edition last thread, enjoy a trip into the Heart of Darkness on us!

mega.nz/#!5hk0QDbL!cjirsBN_iYbxJP0gSNs0LqWsXrEXD70CE6-hZcXc6M4

At the risk of reigniting this bullshit:
Stuffed Piglets probably were too cheap, but the "fix" was terrible.
Reckless has too few downsides for how well the models with it actually perform.
Malifaux/Wyrd has too shitty a meta data collection for judgements on how effectively Gremlins are played competitively - the impression I've got from podcasts is that they are already not the first choice of the full-autist top-tier tournament winners, so it is impossible to control for average player skill, and therefore any conclusions drawn from tournament performance are weak at best.

In summary, I think conclusions drawn so far are all dumb and anecdotal due to a lack of data.

The only guy I know that (occasionally) plays Tara reckons it's too expensive to bring more than 4 anyway, even when they might be useful, so I'd guess no.

Top bloke.

I have a game tomorrow but haven't played in a fucking age so I can barely remember what I'm supposed to be doing.
Any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Deployment: Standard Deployment (7)

Strategy: Extraction (Rams)
Schemes:
* Claim Jump (Always)
* Eliminate the Leadership (Doubles)
* Dig Their Graves (Crows)
* Search The Ruins (8)
* Last Stand (13)

Opponent declared Gremlins

I'm playing Arcanists.

Mei Feng -- 5ss
+Vapormancy - 1ss
+Arcane Reservoir - 2ss
+Seismic Claws - 1ss

Cassandra - 8ss
+Imbued Protection - 2ss

Joss - 10ss
+Bleeding Edge Tech - 1ss

Arcane Effigy - 4ss

Performer - 5ss
Mannequin - 4ss

Rail Worker - 5ss
Rail Worker - 5ss

Plan is to roll up the middle, using Performers and Cassandra to bump the boys up there faster, hold the middle with the meat and try for Dig and Search. Mei is going to be a Vent-bot to block as much of the shooting as possible, with Df7 Cassandra and beefy Joss absorbing charges, and the Rail Workers killing on the countercharge.

Was considering Recharge Soulstone on Joss to try and keep enough stones in the pocket to survive, but not sure if that's false economy.

Dig is going to become super difficult to score if that Performer dies. Also, Imbued Protection is kind of stinky, especially when you could be taking PP which is still totally fine for Dig.

Keep Cass in cover and under southern hospitality and she'll already be plenty hard to shoot.

I just managed to pick the alternative model for The Firestarter and am thinking about ways to use it. I use a Union Miner to ignite Carlos when playing Colette, but he doesn't do much besides that and tossing a few scheme markers. I am thinking that paying two extra stones for The Firestarter instead might be interesting as he has better offensive options and flight & reckless makes him a more mobile schemer?

The main draw is definitely flight and reckless.

By himself he's not going to spread enough burning to make the tactical scary, and without that the rest of his attacks are pretty weak even after factoring in the burning damage.

>fix" was terrible.
Agreed, if activations was the problem, that what they should have fixed. Some sort of forced companion would have worked great.

>Reckless has too few downsides for how well the models with it actually perform.
It's not a problem with reckless, it's honestly a problem of how aggressively low priced good reckless models are.

Bayou Gremlins are fine but Francois and Burt should not be 7 soulstone models.

Other than that u can't really think of any egregious reckless models, after rooster riders lost it.

Just ordered a new batch of models. Is Yasunori as BS as the forums are making him out to be?

I've played Oxford Mages to success with Colette. I am thinking between their burning +1 trigger, Carlos' burning +1 trigger and the fact that Cassandra can understudy the Swirling Gas Can that you might be able to make use of it.

But it's mainly for a 3 (4 with imbued energy) AP flight model and an easy way to fill Carlos up with burning. The fact that all his actions are casts are interesting for Cassandra.

The forums are known to be whiny bitches. He's just very competent at what he's supposed to do, and fits in alot of crews.

What does a core Kirai model pool look like? Mostly you just hear about summoning off a Flesh Construct

I imagine her cute looks a lot like Nico's her henchman, then pretty much whatever you want because you'll be summoning the rest of it.

I want a Rafkin x Kudra love story. They were made for each other.

Well that just seems strictly worse than an alt. Rafkin x Kudra story.

Either way works. I'm a sucker for forbidden love.

Why would either of them be interested? Rafkin is a necrophiliac, and Kudra a reasonably moral human being.

I haven't paid much attention to the Malifaux love life, since Wyrd doesn't really cater to my fetishes, but after reading the resser story from Broken Promises I now ship Justice and the Judge hard.
Is there substance to them, or is it just something Wyrd keeps vague?

But... but... poison synergy. Also you can take them in the same list now thanks to McM's new upgrade.

Cheers, I'll give these points some thought.

I was hoping that, since Dig is 4", and I can chuck Scheme Markers all over the shop with the Performer/Mannequin, I could set up a bunch of Graves turn 2/3, since I only need the three anyway.
Losing her would make Search hard as well.

Cassandra with Df7 and Southern Hospitality is really, really good, especially against lower-quality stuff.
Maybe I'll drop another stone and put Practiced Production on her too...

I was thinking overnight that the Arcane Effigy isn't doing a whole lot for me, and maybe a Metal Gamin for Protection of Metal would be better.
But the Effigy as Hard to Kill, whereas the Gamin isn't any more, and the Effigy's Burning synergy is a little more actually useful.
I'll probably stick with the Effigy, unless anyone has strong feelings the other way.

The alternative would be to drop it entirely to pay for Recharge Soulstone on Joss and Practiced Production on Cassandra, and top up the cache, but I feel like I'm too vulnerable to losing Extraction by losing a single model at that point.

Oxfordians are great with Colette.
That extra Elemental Both effect, or the ability to get them into position while still able to Furious Cast, is huge.

Taking three of them gives you twelve chances for the Push/Slow per turn, which is great.

They are also really good for aggressively repositioning enemy models, not just pushing them away - nothing funnier than yanking Franc into base contact with Howard and cutting the cunt's fucking head off.
I don't like Francisco.

>her cute

>Rafkin is a necrophiliac,

Wait what? Where is this stated?

So I've gotten my hands on a Master of Puppets box. I already have Illuminated, Graves, Tannen and the Shadow Effigy (all of TT, basically). What should I get for a fully functional Collodi crew with minimal extra purchases, preferably sticking to Neverborn?

You'll want the Brutal and Arcane Effigy. Other than that just grab some stitched together and you're good.

I think this is the first time it's been mentioned, as far I know.

The source is his ass.

Nah, there have been a few wink wink nudge nudge moments between them before. Recently there was the chroincles story about Lady J tracking down Nicodem and Lady J asks him if some dead girl looked nice and he responds something along the lines of liking redheads.

>chroincles
I really do need to read up on the Chronicles.

TTB fans, wanted to get feedback on a bullshit idea my pals and I came up with.

>Friend one comes up with a wimpy enchanter, who wants to become a big shot bounty hunter to impress the mayor in a small settlement off of main Malifaux. Of course, all of this is in efforts to marry his girlfriend, the Mayor’s daughter.

>Friend Two clears his throat. He wants to be a reformed bandit, now a vigilante and hero of the people, especially his one true love, the mayor’s daughter.

My previous game ideas were shattered before my eyes, as our next TTB game shall now be about an entire party trying to save up enough money to buy a wedding ring for the mayor’s daughter. What do you guys think? Any comments or cruel remarks are welcome.

As annoying as it is to have your plans shattered, it sounds like a fun and super cute scenario.

Honestly my only problem is the second players character. I really wouldnt allow him to start out as a hero of the people.
He can be a recently reformed bandit with a vigilante codex of morales, but i think he has to earn the rust, which would make the story more interresting as well.
''Your character is not a great hero from the start, he's Frodo stepping across the holds of the Shire, he is Luke leaving his planet for the first time''

>Earn the rust
*earn the rest

Isn't that from the story leading up to the fight with nicodem?
Has a winner been announced as of yet?
And did that take place before or after Broken Promise?

After. Lady J still didn't know who Nicodem was in broken promises.

A super dynamic collette would be great.

I also like the idea that this one is dynamic but also has enough to attach to the base.

Good idea!
Dont forget that they should NOT know of each other's plans.
Also you can bring them both in the next games AND make major's daughter marry someone they totally wouldnt expect.

> The mayor's daughter is actually a set of identical twins. Now no-one has to end up alone.

>The other mayor's daughter is actually Neverborn doppleganger like Viktoria's
>No one minds

>And that's how my players found out that swingers are my magical realm.

>Those are 2 doppleganger, first doppled the major's daughter and then attempted to kill her but she fled to quarantine zone and then joined the Ressers to seek revenge against doppelganger, and the second doppled the first doppler which resulted in spontaneous side effects

With her new upgrades, how would you run Kaeris, and with what upgrades? Not that I am opposed to it, but do you still really want the emissary, or would it be redundant?

Me again.
Lost 10-7, but Mei did exactly what I wanted her to do, I just need to get used to a more hitty play-style.
It was up against a hard elite Gremlin Zoraida
(Trixie, Fingers, Merris, First Mate, Anna Lovelace) who scored full off Last Stand and Search The Ruins.

I was far too timid because I was scared of the Obeys, so I got my kills in too late, and Fingers fucked my pre-Dug Graves very efficiently, so I ended up having to kill Fingers and Merris without Graves, and then failed to kill anyone else near one.

IP saved Cassie a good few times, but you were absolutely right about that Performer - Merris popped, Burned her down, and then I didn't have enough free AP to dig Graves AND kill without giving up position.

>A super dynamic collette would be great.
Hell yeah.
Something posed like that would be pretty great.

I guess it's a little tricky as you don't want her to look too combat-y, and ideally not too slutty either, but other dynamic poses are less obvious.

Amazing idea.
>The girls have made a bet that they'll each be the first to marry, so neither is letting on.

I've not heard great things about the Emissary.
Kaeris looks like the "Push and give Burning" thing could be great against a dense crew, but at a guess I'd say you only expect that from Ressurs and Gremlins, so the times you'd actually take it are limited.

From osmotic accumulation of information, it sounds like a lot of the Book 5 upgrades make amazing counter-pick upgrades, based on information you aren't supposed to have at teh point at which you would select them.

I think the heatstroke condition is a trap compared to just letting models burn to death, but the aura of burning seems sweet.

Flaming Angel is super cool and should basically be stapled to her card, plus the new immolate trigger is great for spreading burning to your own guys w/o wasting extra AP.

>Kaeris looks like the "Push and give Burning" thing could be great against a dense crew

Even if there's just one enemy model, it moves you and sets up +flips on Immolate for 1 AP.

I see. I will take Flaming Angel and look at what other options Kaeris adds. I agree with you when it comes to heastroke. I may see something in it later, but for now it probably isn't an auto take.

Bump

Looks like the new TTB stuff was added to the trove!

>Heatstroke
I don't know - giving a couple of beaters Heatstroke+4 can cut them out of the game pretty hard for a couple of turns, whereas doing Burning+4 to Archie or Yasunori wouldn't necessarily achieve a great deal, especailly if there is healing around.

Yasunori's +flips to attacks and Stubborn and that kind of shit becomes far less obnoxious at Ml3, Wp3, Df3.

>First Mate with Zoraida
Huh, never thought about it before but Zoraida could use Tooth/First Mate instead of Tooth/Rougarou. Shame the knights arent good at putting on "slow" that actually stays or it would be a decent idea.

First Mate and Fingers into Search the Ruins, with added Trixiebelle to score it, was a complete nightmare.

To be honest, I didn't see all that much of Momma Z thanks to Mei's steam clouds, but her Repulsion tactical action damn near fucked me entirely on Extraction.

First Mate and Fingers in the same crew... i take it you had to choose no scheme marker related schemes?

I didn't really know what the First Mate did, so he pretty much fucked me roughly on Search the Ruins.

I knew I was going hard after Fingers with Joss and Rail Workers anyway - between Extraction and Search, if Fingers wants to be relevant he has to be within my threat range.
That bit worked flawlessly (banked the RJ from Turn 1 to guarantee the kill), but the First Mate did all the work necessary.
I still got 3 from StR, but I had to send Cassto score and a model to screen to get it done.

Weirdly we both scored a full 3VP from Search solely from Scheme Markers in the opponent's half, because we both did so well sweeping up on the other side.

Eh, thanks to reckless I've never found Fingers "needs" to be up too close, he has a 16 inch threat range against scheme markers. But damn joss and his trigger avoiding shit must be brutal against gremlins.

Managed to get a Pin (can't move or push) off with a Rail Worker beforehand, so when I went in with Joss I had another Rail Worker to charge and finish the job if necessary.
No Df triggers against Joss, and can't Squeal anyway because Pinned, with two 3/4/4 and then two 2/4/5 on +flips to attack and damage.
Hitty crew, Fingers was going down.

Between the +flips, Pin, Armour, Df Trigger and H2K, Rail Workers are really, .really. good ofr 5ss.

Yeah, but they are wk2 and reach1. So...well, its hard to deliver, but i agree, they are a great combat models. Movement tricks should be done with angelica, kaeris or mei (with new upgade), right?

*wk4
Ride the rails should help them in Mei crew thought. Greatly.

Wk4 is slow, yes, but they have 2" reach, just like everyone else.
I toyed with taking Joss and Kang with the Arcane Effigy and three Rail Workers for a slow-rolling deathblob, but I figured it would be less funny in actuality than concept - 39ss before upgrades that won't reach the centre until end of Turn 2.

As you say, at Wk4 you need some help to get into the fray.

One of the Workers achieved basically nothing because Trixie shoved him back into the board edge and Slowed him Turn 1 - he was basically irrelevant until Turn 4.

Right, i am dumbass, misread the card somehow and got 1 for 2.
Well, Angelica, Kaeris, Mei. Otherwise they are just, well, slow. Powerful, yes, but yet very slow. But otherwise i think they would be simply op.

You mean Passenger Line and Rail Lines from the Rail Lines 1ss upgrade?

You're only taking (at best) three models per turn 6" up the board using your full Master activation while spending many cards/stones - that seems like a terrible deal to me.

1. Bamf to a Scrap marker using a Mask (cheated or Stoned), carrying Kang.
2a. Bamf back to a Rail Worker with a built-in Tome to Trigger a second bamf.
2b. Bamf back to the first Scrap marker with a Mask (cheated or Stoned), carrying Rail Worker.
3. Repeat 2.

That's Mei's full activation, with no Vent or anything of the like, and still relies of someone laying a rail for her.
You could conceivably give Howard Langston a 15" headstart by using the Porkchop to Walk (Detachable Tail) Walk, then bamfing Mei with the Passenger Line trigger twice, then Vent once, but I'm not convinced that's so useful, as Hank is silly expensive and not tough enough to roll in unsupported unless you have a filthy hand to work with.

It just seems a bit too high card/stone cost to plan around it - you need 7s just to do it, and you need Masks to trigger Passenger Line.

Its especially meh when you consider how much better collette, parker barrows, reva or even ophelia would do the same thing.

I totally like the model on the picture, but mei there is very very bad to me.
Na, i mean the +1 to wk actually. Having some construct to walk and shoot to railwalk towards would help. Her being wk5 is a huge problem for you have to waste ap and maybe a card if you are using railwalk, and dont forget the black joker which can occur on flip. And you are simply saving 1 inch of movement, unless you are in a terrain or something.