Have you ever played in a western campaign?

Have you ever played in a western campaign?
How was it?

No, BUT you bet your bottom dollar I'm trying to run one in the near future. If I could just get my players out of the realm of basic Fantasy and interested in a Western game, or at least a Fantasy setting with Western elements, I'd be ecstatic. I have so many ideas for Western encounters it's not even funny.

Briefly. Ran one of my favorite sessions. I tried to have each session have a PC of focus. Game took place in a fictional county in Nevada.

>Fire-and-brimstone Preacher
>Appalachian who had deserted from the Union army during the Civil War
>Former Confederate cavalry captain
>Failed railroad baron who liked to pretend he was still rich

Only had three sessions or so; the first two was them settling into town and solving/tracking down a murderer. The last was my favorite.

>Newcomer to town, city-slicker heading west to the county capital
>Claims to be Failed Baron, even has a birth certificate to prove it
>Real Failed Baron has nothing since he lost everything but some silver-plated Colts when he came west
>Imposter claims he is heading to county capital to inherit
>Failed Baron's brother--a rich and successful railroad baron--died and apparently he left it all to Failed Baron
>Failed Baron convinces other PCs to join him and Imposter on trip
>On the first day they find a stage-coach that had thrown a wheel
>Owner is a dapper gent claiming to be Failed Baron
>Even has papers to prove it
>Real Failed Baron is increasingly frustrated by his lack of evidence proving he is the real him
>On the second day they meet two men in ill-fitting suits, arguing as they ride
>Both claim they are Failed Baron and the other is an imposter
>Both have papers to prove it
>By the time they arrive at the county capital they have five Imposters and the real Failed Baron
>Rest of party loves this and are along for the show
>Find lawyers office and another six Imposters
>All of them have papers to prove it, except Failed Baron
>Lawyer sets a desk up in the street, goes through each one thoroughly
>Sends most away, seeing through forgeries and poor lies
>Gets to Failed Baron
>PC FINALLY remembers something I had noted during chargen
>Those silver-plated Colts were a gift, they have an inscription.
Cont.

>Lawyer inspects the Colts carefully, Failed Baron sweating bullets
>There is a fortune on the line
>Lawyer sends Impostors away-- the Colts were written into brother's will as a way to identify Failed Baron
>Failed Baron signs an affidavit confirming that he is Failed Baron
>That's when the law office door flies open and an angry woman with a thick Boston accent bursts out calling Failed Baron a deadbeat sonofabitch
>Lawyer hands Failed Baron a note from his not-dead brother
>Woman had been impregnated by Failed Baron when before he skipped town and headed west
>Brother decided to fuck with him and helped her find him for paternity payments
>Rest of the party loves this

One of the longest campaigns I ever played in. Also various one-shots using Boot Hill, Aces and Eights, etc.

My first GM was a real nut about westerns. Knew his history, could spin one hell of a yarn. Had a good feel for Deadlands, too, never let the spooky take away from the dusty.

Watching the Face in a group struggle is always super fun, especially the concept of their lies finally catching up with them to bite them in the ass

No, but I have played in a samurai campaign and it was great
geddit?

Played roll20 one shot
Players were ass but it was still fun.

I also tried to play a firefly/serenity campaign once but those players were such SJW snowflakes and couldn't divorce their characters from the show characters-literally one of the worst games ever.

Damn and tarnation I wish I could be in your game

I've got a game planned, where the players are in Westworld, and slowly become aware of their identity. They die, and their character sheets slowly have small snippets of conversation between mechanics repairing them appear.

The Failed Baron PC apparently loved it because I had basically paid close attention to the backstory he submitted and used it. And he was the sort've guy who had a lot of fun even when--or especially when--his character was not having fun.

If the campaign had continued he would have likely begun taking on a political role within the town and come at odds with the Preacher PC. Sadly, RL stuff cropped up and the game was put in indefinite hiatus.

>Talks about western
>Posts this shit
Seriously, user? That's best you could do to find a western image?

What's wrong with m7

It's a mediocre at best remake of the classic version

Shit-tier remake of one of the most iconic westerns ever created (itself a remake of Seven samurai). Completely miscasted, with boring leads and underutilised interesting characters (and that despite dragging for 125 minutes), just plain awful dialogues, zero fanfare or joy in itself and being another movie that "nuked the fridge". When they start dying, all you can feel is relief, because soon the whole show will be finally over. Also, the last 2 minutes were fucking unbearable piece of bombastic pathos, not to mention the dodgy CGI attatched to it.

tl;dr they've missed all the marks they could and then added some on their own.

Fucking this. Remakes are, by and large, complete shit compared to the original. Funny thing is, a shitload of movies are actually remakes and they just don't tell you....
Remember that Will Smith movie where he was the last dude in NYC with his dog and all that crap?
Charleston Heston did the same movie 20 years prior, but no one remembered so they thought it was new and unique and exciting. It was shit

played quite a bit of boothill 3E in the 90s, it was gud. also the rolemaster-based Outlaw, it was okay.

>but no one remembered
I did.
Because I'm a huge fan of the book it's based on. And the movie with Heston was - at least for me - even worse than the one with Smith. Both were shit, don't get me wrong here, the older one was just worse. Also, there is also ANOTHER adaptation of the same material, filmed few years before Omega Man (the one with Heston) and it's also awful.

Then on the other hand we have The Thing (it's a remake of once-great-now-simply-classic-but-not-good-at-all horror... which by itself was a ruse to get Universal to greenlight the movie, as Carpenter had zero sentiment toward "original" and wanted to just make a new adaptation of the book) and original Magnificent Seven, which was a classic case of "American remake" in action, as someone realised this could be flawlessly turned into a western and make it more palpable for average Joe still reminiscenting WW2

>underutilised interesting characters (and that despite dragging for 125 minutes
This, this, this!

Jesus, there are like 3 scenes with Red Harvest and Vasquez, but third of the movie is dedicated to fucking Ethan Hawke, despite his character being literally the least interesting not just in the group, but in the entire fucking movie.
Hell, they've managed to set up a half-mad mountain man hunting for Indians for living and a fucking Comanche involved in raids... and this goes literally nowhere.

Yes. Briefly. It was maybe the most fun I ever had in a game. An entire lifetime of wiah fulfillment.

Then the GM Shamalamed us, and tweest, its actually Deadlands, guys! Aliens and ghosts and vampires, lol. How do your civil war veteran gunslingers deal with a haunted house?

Literally worse than being kicked in the balls. Whole game fell apart fast after that. None of our characters had any knowledge of anything supernatural, and whem confronted with them, we mostly panicked and ran. The GM wasn't sure how to fix that and stopped running.

That fucking blows, dude

The fuck he was thinking?! No, seriously, what the hell? You don't just switch in the middle of campaign for something completely different, unless your players and their PCs are perfectly capable of surviving that.

Briefly, but yes. It was a Spaghetti Western, to boot.
I was a Snake Oil salesman/disgraced surgeon, and the team's "Healer"
We had a bounty hunter looking for the outlaw who killed his father, and a professional gambler down on his luck. There might've been another bounty hunter as well, hard to remember.
I DO remember the young bounty hunter doing peyote, and then when we got in a gunfight, he kept hearing the Indians(and one or two trees) scream "mama mia", and swore blind that we were at some point riding our horses on a treadmill in front of a moving canvas screen.

Some sessions of DITV. Bretty gud.

Played in a western one-shot our DM ran before we went on break for Christmas.

We played as a group of travelers made up of lawmen/outlaws cut off from the outside world by a rail accident, and were forced to work together. We were investigating a series of mysterious robberies in a frontier town, perpetrated by a strange beast lurking in the mountains.

It took us 3 hours before we realised the motherfucker was putting us through western-themed pic related.

I think he was just so into ghosts and x files stuff, he saw it purely from his point of view. Like, "oh man, this game suddenly has ghosts and aliens? This is so awesome!" But i don't think he thought it through at all in terms of how actual wild west characters would react.

Like, the first thing that happened was we found a desicated little gray man in a coffin. He was like, "oh isn't this exciting? Don't you want to investigate and find out what it is?" But in character, we assumedit wassome indian mummy or something. We knew ooc it was an alien, but we didn't know that in game.

Then we were attacked by a vampire, and again,ooc we understood,but in game I rememberasking, has Dracula even been published yet? Like we didn't know what to think. And when we encountered the house with ghosts, he thought we would jump at the chance to investigate and figure out why this ghost was around and what it wanted. But we just freaked out. One guy thought we were all hallucinating from mold spores or something. Another thought it was an angel. Like, I figured my character would probably understand it was a ghost, but that being said, why would I want to look into it further? I was a gambler,not Fox Mulder.

I think he just assumed that every player,and therefore every character,would react exactly like he would in real life, as a huge freak for ghosts and conspiracy shit. He realized pretty quick he had made a mistake, and thdn he really didnt know what to do.

>has Dracula even been published yet

Considering your mention of American Civil War veterans as PCs - nope, not yet.