DMing 5e

>DMing 5e
>first session
>I talk about my world
>My players create their PCs
>we are done talking about the campaign and we are ready to start
>WAIT WAIT YOU ARE FORGETTING SOMETHING IMPORTANT shrieks one of the players
>he pulls out of his back pack 5 "X cards"
>he explains to us why they are so important and how they should be mandatory in any TTRPG
>Now my campaign has "x cards"

Good thing only once a player used it the first session.

What are your thoughts on "x cards"?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2729089/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're going to have to explain, because I don't know what an "x card" is.

>What are your thoughts on things that never happened for 200?
Nothing, because it never happened.

What the hell are x-cards? Do they go into appropriate files? X-files?

A gaming convention invention where if a player does not like where a particular scene or situation is going, they can tap the x card and the GM is obligated to fade to black.
It's a fast way to indicate that whatever going on isn't cool with the player and to move on from it used at gaming cons.

Bait. This never happened. Or is it is, you need to beat the shit out of the SJW fagarelli that brought them up. But yeah, no-one except the most speshul tumblrina actually carries around "X cards" in their backpack.

Looked it up, it's a bitch out flag for when you're such a little bitch that you want to make everyone stop doing whatever they are doing but aren't willing to just fucking say so.

The idea being that when the DM or a player brings up something upsetting you hold up your X card and the DM is supposed to stop and rewrite it right away.

It's not completely useless, if a player asks you to use X cards you can kick them out immediately.

How much of a pleb you guys are? Every single rpg club in my college uses x cards and lines n veils.

It's a little index card with an X on it. If something in the game makes you uncomfortable for any reason, you can tap it and the GM is supposed to either move on or change the situation. You don't have to explain, and no one's allowed to ask questions. It's just as terrible as it sounds.

Hi, OP.

pull you own X card and present it to the player.
Then kick their ass from the game.

>my feefees might get hurt, I need an out
unless you're playing with really neckbeardy autists like that one french dude at a con who was there to have the DM describe tentacle rape (in public), there is really no damn reason for them.

>should be mandatory
Assuming this is a real situation, that is the point when you tell them to instead talk to you like a real human being if there is something upsetting them in the game.

What these trolls aren't saying is that x cards are used almost exclusively for conventions for pick up and play games, and are not designed for your every week meet up games where you can pull the GM aside after the game is over and talk to them.
Why are you people getting offended by hurp derp stories in a clear bait thread?

no way thats a real thing

>in my college
Probably why I don't know then. It's been almost 10 years, a lot has changed I guess.

>WAIT WAIT YOU ARE FORGETTING SOMETHING IMPORTANT shrieks one of the players
This thing definitely happened.

Unrelated, but you guys know what kind of threads I miss having on Veeky Forums?

>I'm so manly and confrontational
>Nothing can make me upset because fantasy is just fantasy

We have a tough guy here

I miss /wst/.
The scary thing is that it proved that a single dedicated troll or 2 could radically reshape content on this board.
Imagine if that were 40k threads that were spammed so hard they got moved off board?

Why? You think that players can't get upset when you describe torture or rape? How much of an autist are you?

Decent ones?

If something comes up that you don't like you just fucking say something, you don't need a card so that you can wave it like a fucking mute.

It's the "I need a little card to point to" part, not the this bothers me part.

Or, y'know, he's a functional adult that can talk about his problems.

Yeah honestly if shits so traumatic you shouldn't be out in public, gaming in random cons and fantasy game is probably not the most healthy for you at the moment.

see
You could have read the thread, knew what you were talking about, and been less ignorant for it.

Of course that he doesn't carry "X cards" in his backpack all the time, he was invited to a game so he brought some.

Do you think that people carry around in their every day life X cards? What the fuck is wrong with Veeky Forums?

Ok. I'm totally giving my players PCs X cards now.

>Do you think that people carry around in their every day life X cards?

Acktchually... How do you prose indicating to a professor, waitstaff or random people on the street that you're uncomfortable with something they're doing saying or wearing?

I mean hearing about the surf and turf can be very traumatic if you're a part time vegetarian when your parents aren't around.

>What are your thoughts on "x cards"?
I think they're a bad solution to a (potential) problem that can be solved by the players and GM talking to each other about the type of content they're happy with in-game. I can understand why someone might be uncomfortable with darker themes in a campaign if they come up out of the blue, but a good GM would know their audience and ensure that the campaign was to their liking and good players would let the GM know if there was anything in particular that would make them uncomfortable.

The point, it seems, is to empower players to pipe up if they're uncomfortable. I've been in numerous situations at the table where either I or another player was made uncomfortable by game content, but did not feel at liberty to speak on the matter. The X-Card serves then as a constant visual reminder that any player is able and encouraged to steer the game away from trouble areas.
Why do you guys not want players to be comfortable?

Nah, but if you're too much of a bitch to make your grievances known and explained, then shut the fuck up and sit down. You are honestly a living representation of the virgin in the Chad memes. Neck yourself or grow a spine.
>"G-g-guys, I just wanted m-muh power fantasy. N-n-n-no boobies!"

I mean it's not the worst idea of all time. I certainly could have used one when my DAM started trying to ship my PC with somebody else very rabidly.

There's an argument to be made that you could just speak up, but I can also see the position that speaking up requires having a moment to step in, whereas a card to tap can be a bit easier.

All in all, not the worst idea I've ever seen, but a more comfortable, close group of friends/players probably shouldn't need them? Especially if you discuss those sorts of expectations beforehand.

Because allowing a player to disrupt the flow of the game and interfere with the GM's plans without giving a reason is shitty. A better solution would be to have the group discuss the content of the game beforehand and agree on a tone people would be comfortable with and for people to explain why they want to veto something.

For example: in our group we're currently fighting against a faction of evil slavers, and one of our players asked if we could circumvent content about sex slavery and rape and such because it makes them uncomfortable. Our GM had no problem with it, and neither did anyone in the group.

see
I could deal with this shitty thread if any of you knew exactly what you were talking about, but none of you do.

>Assuming this is a real situation, that is the point when you tell them to instead talk to you like a real human being if there is something upsetting them in the game.
This.

X cards are a tool to void human communication in favor of the "candles and pretense" of sensitivity.
If you can't maturely ask for a subject to not be discussed, you don't deserve to have your feelings respected like an adult.
Similarly, if you can't be expected to maturely respect your friend and avoid subjects that they feel deeply about being discussed, then you don't deserve to be communicated with like an adult.

There is no reason to bump this thread.

But... That is what we're talking about, user. Just in the context of a normal game rather than a convention.

If you can't indicate that you want to step in, you probably can't draw attention to a card tap either.
And if you can't articulate your problem, you should maybe get therapy instead of putting yourself in a situation where your problem is relevant.

Victim complexes are terrible, and making everyone else reinforce them is even more terrible.

I'm not sure what your problem is, user. I read the posts that explain what X cards are in detail before I thought about my response to them. I stand by what I said: there are better solutions to said problems and disrupting the flow of the game without giving a reason is shitty for the other players.

Should somebody who's traumatized about something avoid an enjoyed pass time/hobby until they're "better?" Wouldn't that just hurt them more?

Fine for a convention where nobody knows each other, or even for a first time group that's just met. If your players are decent, they should probably just grow out of using them. It's like using a "talking stick". In a chaotic environment, it can be useful, but people should be able to stop using it when they get used to each other.

Convention or not, it's a tool to avoid communication, which is bad.
I'm not saying that there aren't places where x cards might be appropriate.
I imagine such places might have posters of kittens on the walls.
But for the most part, I'm against playing ttrpg while actively trying to avoid communication.

I'd also be against playing a game using just emojis, although I'm sure that could be fine somewhere too.

Have you tried playing with adults?

>what are unexpected triggers?
>what is PTSD

>didn't kill him right there and then
This was where you goofed

Ask that player to leave.

>lines n veils.
Do you game with a harem of coke snorting belly dancers

>You think that players can't get upset when you describe torture or rape?

Wow, players getting horrified by depictions of horrific things, WHAT A TWEEST

None of it is real, though.

>playing with antitank rifles

>Why do you guys not want players to be comfortable?

horror and evil are supposed to be unheimlich, user

>>what are unexpected triggers?
Things that can be discussed like adults when they occur.

>>what is PTSD
A serious condition that adulls live with and can mention to the GM ahead of time if it's likely to present a problem if a trigger occurs.

>what are unexpected triggers?
>what is PTSD
Without naming what the triggers are at the time, it's going to be near impossible to know what exactly needs to be toned down or removed.

"You're walking down the forest path, the dense foliage surrounds you, dimming the light. The pale moonlight does nothing to illuminate the surroundings, and each step feels as though you might sink into the mud."
"You hear a click, and a crossbow bolt slams into the tree around you, as the elves leap from the trees, a rictus of blood and sharp teeth all you can see on their faces- Oh, sorry, didn't see you tapping the X-card."

What exactly do you do to remove the trigger?
Do you make it day? Do you remove the forest? Do you add illumination? Do you remove the blood? Do you remove the threat of sinking into the ground? Do you remove the elves and make them humans? Do you remove the bandits totally?

What part of it are you supposed to get rid of?

If it's all of it, how are you going to know what to avoid in future? Or are you going to have to throw away all nightime adventures because it *might* be the thing triggering your player?

ITT: Veeky Forums creates a strawman of a useful tool and bashes it, showing how ignorant and willing to talk on something they know nothing about they are.

>>what are unexpected triggers?
Things that the group can either talk about ahead of time or that can be sorted out when they come up. Alternatively you can try playing with people who aren't pussies.

>>what is PTSD
A mental health problem that can affect people adversely and that the player in question should discuss with the GM beforehand so that they can agree on a tone that everyone will find comfortable and fun.

>X-cards
>useful tool

>itt: things that never happened but user is mad because some people do weird things he doesn't like
we get it, you want Veeky Forums to be mad with you so you can feel validated. but next time maybe make a skype or discord group chat with your friends. that way you can complain without shitting up the board with pointless non-conversations we've already had.

>a useful tool
Really?
So is braille.
Even a tool genuinely useful to a select group of people should not necessarily be employed by everyone who thinks it's neat.

Try harder next time.

Making other people reinforce their trauma is worse than getting real help. Getting comfortable with a real mental problem and forcing everyone around you to adapt is not healthy. It's also not very considerate of others.

On top of that, x-card abuse is very easy. You can't question it, so someone can boycott random words, characters, or anything else just for fun.

>So is braille.
I suppose I should have phrased that as "Braille is a useful tool."
I did not intend to legitimize x cards.

You're a retard if you defend this unironically. If someone starts doing retarded shit at the table just call them out for it. What's the worst they'll do? Beat you up? Lmfao, but if you really are scared of speaking up then just get up and fucking leave. We don't live in Saudi Arabia, nobody is going to force you to play tabletop.

This is honestly the most pathetic thing I have ever heard of if it's not just fabricated bait. Also FUCK anyone defending it in the thread, you limp dick reflexive contrarians.

[INTERNET TOUGH GUY]

Where X cards don't actually apply and were not created for explicitly. So you are mad you are knowingly and willingly using a tool wrong and it doesn't work the way you want it to.
>Convention or not, it's a tool to avoid communication, which is bad.
>I have no idea how convention pick up games work
user, you do not, by time rigors at the least, have the time to stop a GM mid sentence and explain to them why you do not like a situation.
A con game is NOT your weekly game, and the point of a con game is to get it done from A to B for as many people who come to sit down at the table.
You are applying the wrong set of standards, then trying to make an argument out of it. Before you say anything else, you both need to read up on how games at cons work, or read some memoirs of Gygax from his convention days, because your ignorance and presumptuousness is fairly amazing.

>user, you do not, by time rigors at the least, have the time to stop a GM mid sentence and explain to them why you do not like a situation.
Have you never interrupted someone before?

>what is PTSD
Something you don't have unless you're a soldier or former soldier. If I had a veteran with PTSD at my table I'd expect him to tell me so, and I'd make damn sure he felt comfortable. On the other hand, bluehaired feefees can have a complimentary noose if they promise not to borrow my garage.

>user, you do not, by time rigors at the least, have the time to stop a GM mid sentence and explain to them why you do not like a situation.
But you have the time to bring the scene to a screeching halt as the GM rewrites the whole thing on the fly because they don't know which part of it was triggering?

>strawman
Gonna have to X card you there, I can't tolerate mention of this concept, don't have to explain to you why, it's not my job to educate you but please never mention it again

Victims of child sexual abuse and sexual assault can have PTSD as well as people in car accidents and natural disaster

Nice bait, didn't happen, fake news, front page of national enquirer, hoax, lies, bullshit, shenanigans, DOA.

Report this bait thread. This never happens, it's only a meme. Nobody has ever used these, and there is no evidence to the contrary. All stories are anecdotes involving strawmen. That comic about the tranny kid is more convincing than your made-up story.

Better to act tough on the internet than act like the same level of pussy you are IRL. What a pathetic cuck.

>Victims of child sexual abuse and sexual assault can have PTSD as well as people in car accidents
No, this is a myth and overapplication of the diagnosis, attempting to leech legitimacy from a serious issue. People do not get fucking shell shock from getting sodomized by an uncle.

>natural disaster
This one's true though so I guess if you were standing on a volcano when it blew up I would also accomodate that, but again you'd better let me know beforehand – or if I announce a Pompeii game, just excuse yourself.

The majority of trauma from sexual abuse actually comes from a third party's overreaction to it. This isn't just family and friends, but media, fiction, and others demonizing it far beyond its actual harm conditions people to think that it's the single worst thing that can happen. This causes a cycle where we end up with people getting traumatized from a slap on the ass.

>What are your thoughts on "x cards"

From what I've read so far, a mechanic that lets you know which of your players are sensitive faggots and allows you to repeatedly """trigger""" them until they do evetyone else a favor and fuck off.

[INTERNET TOUGH GUYING INTENSIFIES]

>The scary thing is that it proved that a single dedicated troll or 2 could radically reshape content on this board.
This was pretty surprising, honestly. In 2007 I never would have guessed that a couple of loud ban-dodging trolls could cause an entire segment of Veeky Forums to get banned just because they posted a lot of complaints about it.

This is also true of things like crack babies. With proper medical care, most of them would be fine by the time they're 5 or 6. But they're treated like walking timebombs made of glass, and that's all they grow up knowing. Being treated exclusively with kiddie gloves fucks someone up more than anything else.

>I don't have a clue that it doesn't matter how convention pick up games work
See
>But you have the time to bring the scene to a screeching halt as the GM rewrites the whole thing on the fly because they don't know which part of it was triggering?
Or see
>Without naming what the triggers are at the time, it's going to be near impossible to know what exactly needs to be toned down or removed.

A few moments of communication can save minutes of faffing about.
In a convention, the GM might just accept a reasonably voiced objection without argument, if time is at such a premium.

This is pedo propaganda by the way.

>People do not get fucking shell shock from getting sodomized by an uncle.
user, just because you liked it, don't apply that standard to everyone.

Not the user you're talking to but you're full of shit. I've known people who went through both of these things who now have all sorts of hangups (Actually the carcrash one is worse, surprisingly). I do agree that alot of trigger tumblrinas self impose their outbursts, but saying PTSD only happens to soldiers is something only "tough guys" and POGS say to show how manlier they are than girly men.

Gaslighting people into having mental problems should be a crime. Telling them that they're inherently broken because a bad thing happened to them shouldn't be okay unless they're actually broken.

This

Nobody's saying they don't get traumatized and upset, ya dumbasses, they just don't have PTSD. What you're doing is like saying anyone with lung problems has COPD and if you disagree you're denying their problems exist.

What about exhibiting symptoms of PTSD?

>I miss /wst/.
Baka

>The scary thing is that it proved that a single dedicated troll or 2 could radically reshape content on this board.
That's a load of horseshit, this is a blue board. The only surprising thing about /wst/ is that it survived as long as it did, it was living on borrowed time from day one.

PTSD is different than normal trauma, you dingus.
It's literally caused by loud explosions or vibrations knocking your brain around. That's why it used to be called Shell Shock.
There are actual neuroscience studies about this, not some pseudoscience psychology nonsense with under 50% replication rate.

>PTSD can only be caused by having men with guns doing a shootybangbang at you or actual fucking artillery strikes because you're still calling it shell shock in [CURRENT STELLAR CYCLE]
inhale

censorship is always wrong, and this is censorship.

>mfw I had a teacher who would always talk about her family
>talks about how her husband had PTSD
>from a car accident
>rear ended, not too badly injured
>has "PTSD"
>gets super stressed when drive, hyperventilates, white knuckles the wheel
>had to go to therapy to get over it

At a certain point I think its just not being a bitch. Some people almost die and keep trucking like nothing happened. Others get into one little incident, get scared, and shut down because "woe is me"

>psychiatry
Pseudo
Science
Actual symptoms of PTSD only present themselves in sexual assault victims when the actual assault was very violent and caused head injury. PTSD causes very specific structural brain changes, not every trauma cause is specifically PTSD.
You can diagnose a lot of soldiers with PTSD with a CAT/PET scan, it's just usually not done. You can't do this for most victims of other kinds of trauma.

Dude, yes, PTSD can literally only be caused by the overwhelming terror reaction of horrible superhuman destructive energy being expended on or at you and which you have no hope of escaping through actions of your own, only through pure luck. That's why you can get it from artillery, from machine guns and from tsunamis but not from anything that won't overkill you, up to and including warfare back when armies fought with spears and swords and shit. You ever wonder why they didn't seem to have PTSD back then? Or hell ,why martial artists don't all have PTSD from all the training? It's because fighting with pre-gunpowder weapons is entirely a matter of skill so you feel your fate is in your own hands, and moreover your enemies are only other humans, not unnatural shit that hits like the fist of and angry god out of nowhere.

Human beings are MADE to fight and kill each other, that's natural, not traumatic in itself and certainly not obliteratingly traumatic to the degree where it causes lasting psychological scars. But now we've mastered nature to a degree evolution couldn't "predict" and in the last 500 years, invented weapons that are so horrific that they produce a fear only lightning, volcanic eruptions and similar natural disasters used to evoke.

Comparing that shit to getting badtouched by an unpleasant person is just plain idiotic.

This was the first time I've ever heard of x cards, and I've been playing D&D actively for three years. It sounds fucking retarded though. Just because something happens in a campaign doesn't mean I'm going to back down because it offends them. It's their fault for taking offense. This would especially be angering if I ran something that was well thought out and had a good setup at my own house, and someone, if not everyone found my story problematic. It gives the players way too much authority over the campaign and sometimes they forget whose house they reside in.

Are we talking tumblr PTSD or real, actual PTSD?

>citing a publication so subverted by SJWism that trannyism is now considered a body mismatch problem rather than a type of pure delusion

An interesting claim. Care to cite your sources?

Nevermind, just did some googlin'. Seems you're right that brain damage definitely is a cause, but my reading (Read as: Wikipedia) also indicates it can be caused by endocrinal stuff.

>passive aggressive smiley face

Provide evidence.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2729089/

Give me a second while I find this other one.
My old college roommate is in med school right now to be a neurosurgeon and we've had a couple conversations about this. He says a lot of the people in his field get pissed off at the bullshit that psychology tries to get through without ever even paying the slightest attention to what is going on in neuroscience.

Okay, here's where this immediately falls apart: Someone who hates gays or miniorities uses it whenever something they don't like is brought up.

This why all this internet outrage and campaigns to get people fired from their jobs for having an opinion or saying something offensive, that centre left liberals have been doing for the past 10 years is fucking retarded because it can easily be turned against you. Look what happened to that SNL writer who made a joke about Barron Trump for example.

The best solution if you don't feel like confronting someone is to just fucking get up and leave.