What's a thematically appropriate class for a 5e character who teaches writing classes at a university?

What's a thematically appropriate class for a 5e character who teaches writing classes at a university?

Hard Mode: No Bards

Fighter. Dietrich did it.

Barbarian
Also why you no 5eg feggit

Warlock - warlocks can do anything if you take right patron

Also barbarian because silly

I do like the idea of a Warlock writer... what about Wizards?

Wizards is too obvious, but warlock can be interesting, have them be fey pact warlock as they seek to express emotion well, or use hexblade in a sense that there patron is some magical feather of "godly writing" if your feeling like making an unusual patron

Cleric, so that other believers may partake in the holy texts (assuming it's a religious university).

You could make just about anything make sense.

>class
>teaches writing
You seem to have something confused. Why would a teacher be anything more than a commoner NPC with one exceptional stat and expertise in a particular skill? Perhaps an appropriate homebrewed feat if the role they teach is truly esoteric.
People with classes can, have, and will do battle with various monstrous and evil forces. You simply do not have classes without this conflict.
And why would an adventurer retire to a job, when adventurers who make enough to retire usually do so with a pile of gold larger than most non-royalty will ever be able to conceive of?

I agree, even a druid could make sense as masters of describing nature's beauty

I was just curious if a Wizard would fit the "scholarly writer" aesthetic, but you're selling me on the Warlock concept.

Funny you say that, all my npcs have classes because it's fun

And some adventurer might have retired before they would have lost there life (maybe they are missing a leg already)

And some classes (like warlock) don't even need a training at all

Cleric. He's likely written many essays on various topics of theological importance.

Clerics would be the most contemporary choice, I'd think.

they were historically responsible for education, at least

Rogue

>And why would an adventurer retire to a job, when adventurers who make enough to retire usually do so with a pile of gold larger than most non-royalty will ever be able to conceive of?
Some people possess a lifelong dedication to their art.

Yeah for npcs warlock can be great class as it can make anything from a cultist to a honorable man with a dark secrets to a simple midwife who is friend with local fey

Because he's one of those adventurers who didn't make enough to retire with a pile of gold larger than most non-royalty will ever be able to conceive of?

I concur. The idea of an adventuring rogue who returns to catalog his experiences while delivering lectures is very appealing to me.

>you're an English Teacher?
>part time

>one exceptional stat and expertise in a particular skill?
Have you met any teachers? These are people who even failed at being commoners.

I resent that.

>part TIME

I may steal this.

Battlemaster fighter, it's built right into their subclass that they aren't just baout fighting.

Any class, with the Sage background (or similar) and at least 12 or so INT.

Literally any class could be a university professor. You could have a full faculty teaching all kinds of subjects made up of retired adventurers from all over. Like some kind of shonen high school anime.

>class, today we're taking a field trip to the local dungeon as research for your midterm papers...

I'd love a literal Wizard teaching Advanced Composition.

This is what I'd do. It's a pretty good approximation of fighting smarter, not harder.

kek

t. a guy who barely finished primary school.

Ok, what do you slobs think about this?

>Human Professor of the Common Tongue
>Wizard
>Studies ancient Common Literature texts and ascertains their potential magical properties
>Writes books on his findings and interpretations of old literature.
>Get's drunk and goes adventuring on the weekends.

Yes

The rogue teacher idea is really neat I might steal that one for an npc eventually, like others said Wizard is perfect for it, so perfect its boring, any other class can act as a tutor depending on the subject. A wise barbarian can act as a mentor for the kids in his village, a druid can teach young forest elfs or the human village next to the forest. A battlemaster Fighter can teach any subject but I would put it on a subject like Math since they tend to be extremely logical and methodical.

The only class I can't see being a teacher is a ranger, because they are autistic loners for most of their life. I don't even know how their teachings get passed by to other rangers, they probably pick the weird kid of each village and throw them in the wilderness after teaching them the basics of surviving.

>they probably pick the weird kid of each village and throw them in the wilderness after teaching them the basics of surviving.
Pretty much how it works.

Lore Wizard. The obvious answer is the best one.

GURPS IOU already did it.

>Get's drunk and goes adventuring on the weekends.
Wait
Did you say wizard or Barbarian?!

>A battlemaster Fighter can teach any subject but I would put it on a subject like Math since they tend to be extremely logical and methodical.
I do like the idea of a battlemaster with a deeply guarded appreciation of classic literature, dreading the notion of a party member discovering his primary profession as a local writing teacher.

>tfw your students are all illiterate shits who want to become barbarians and druids when they grow up
The Writing Wizard must blow off steam somehow.

Lore Wizard?

elaborate

What Satan didn't tell you is Lore Wizard is 5e UA material and is an unbalanced mess in the hands of any player wanting to abuse the wording and system. Most tables pretend it doesn't exist.

Fuck, it sounds cool.

It kinda is but some of it's wording and features are too much for a run of the mill 5e game. You can change the saving throws on your spells, so cast a spell that restrains the enemy, requires a Str or Dex save, and change the save to Str or Dex. Any thing restrained auto fails those saves, along with if your more prone to metagaming you can start changing your spells to target what you know is a monsters weak save.

That's a shame. I like the idea of a Wizard deriving magical power from literature.

Oh wait.

Kek

Yes

Bard

Fuck bards

I love generic wizards

Rogue with forgery
Arcane or divine caster with scribing

Happens all the time

Heeey I like this concept. A writing teacher could theoretically be any class in the game, but I would preferably envision one as either a Wizard or Rogue, depending on OP's play style.

Fuck bards.

you can fluff most classes to be useful at a school
>wizard is the professor who makes you do tons of papers and always lectures
>fighter teaches team sports
>ranger teaches navigation, outdoor survival
>barbarian teaches physical fitness
>sorcerer is the professor who makes you do activities every class
>warlock teaches communication, political science, and economics in addition to magic and always feels like he has a night job
>monk teaches martial arts
>cleric is the boring professor who just lectures all day and unlike the wizard has no experiements to break up the monotony and often brings up personal anecdotes from his time at the monastery
>druid is like the cleric, but he likes to teach outdoors, and takes you on out of class activites often

Literally any class. It's not like writing is something that's only limited to stereotypically bookish people.

Many do.