Inkarnate Thread

post what you got

inkarnate.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/inkarnate/comments/5snbd6/8_new_fanmade_textures/
inkarnate.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>rivers unabashedly connecting seas.

that's pretty cool. I never use hex land painting, but I do like the looks of it.

I found that saying 1 hex = 1 hour of travel at regular pace let me keep the intended scope of the adventure small and manageable.

I had a super awesome inkarnate map in the works for over a year now. All setting ifo was in mouseover stuff.
Then inkarnate changed their software and now i can only access it as a shitty jpeg

I had the same problem, except I didn't have such a large project dumpstered because of it. I can't even access the map editor anymore, any time I open one of my projects it just redirects to a non-interactable .jpg of whatever I had worked on up to that point.
I take it as a blessing, I've since then mentally scrapped that setting and begun learning mapmaking in photoshop.

Yeah I did multiple smaller maps covering different regions and provinces untill Inkarnate changed their software.
This here is one of the WIPs. If anyone is interested in the details regarding the map I could post the ones I made.

Here's some fan made textures:

reddit.com/r/inkarnate/comments/5snbd6/8_new_fanmade_textures/

I use these all the time. They match the stock textures perfectly.

Really wish they'd let you make the map bigger and scale the tiles.

Do you actually have a country named "Plutocratic Principaty of Sari"?
Are you 12 or something?

Heres my political map of my 'not europe'

...and heres a more general full world map

It's so painfully Europe you could just get over it already and use the real thing

Huh, this looks neat. Some kinda map editor with either freeform terrain or hex capability?
You turned Australia into Lunar Isle, how could you? Now I have to go spend my entire life grinding Livid Farm.

now that is a nice hexcrawl
damn I want to do west marches but it would take so much effort to set up something good for it.

The name is more there for me to remember the basics of their government style. They would never self identify as such and it's not their official name.

How are you guys so uncreative?! I mean for fuck sakes its one thing to use inkarnate and all the maps look the same but it seems like none of you put any effort into your maps.

Fucking add some biomes. Shrink your cities down. Look at real maps for inspiration on geography. If I was a player and saw ANY of these maps my immersion would be dropped. Put some fucking effort in.

Finally a map with some effort put into it. Its still shitty inkarnate but I can at least tell you put effort in. WouldplaywithyouasmyDM/10

Yea I won't pretend its anything very different. Then again I did want the cultures and climates to roughly match up to their real world medieval equvalents so there is a reason.

Trust me if I didn't end up wanting to tear my hair out every time I try to learn how to use GIMP or Inkscape I wouldn't have used Inkarnate. I much prefer hand drawing them DESU. Still I tried to make do with what I had.

I like the archipelago between the two western continents. Anything interesting you can tell us about that region?

It's full of pirates. Not european, not arab, and not african pirates. They spend their time warring with each other and the islands trade hands often enough that the place hasn't been mapped properly. Turns out there's an artifact lost somewhere in the area that makes creatures around it act violent and crazy after a while. People just avoid the place because of the piracy, but the piracy exists because of this artifact.

I didn't make the map

DESU that isn't that far off, sans the artifact. Most of the islands are volcanic, with new ones being pushed up regularly and old ones being destroyed, leading to very dangerous currents and reefs. Aside from pirates the area tends to be home to allot of dangerous marine beasts, particularly Hydras, giving the region the name the 'Hydra Isles'.
Though the culture of the area is mixed, due to the surrounding tropical climes there are allot of tribal lizardmen that live in the area. The natives of the area aren't pirates per se but they will take the opportunity to raid any valuable ship that is foolish enough to go through the area. Usulay they dont even have to attack it, they just wait for it to become shipwrecked and then they swoop in to hoover up the loot.

There has always been interest in the north to try and establish a trade route through the area to the east, rather than relying on the slow overland routes. However the danger in the area makes any such venture short lived.

Could we see something from you, please?

Shit, did they add new stuff?

Wish there was a client for this instead of using a web browser

Then why the fuck you didn't just use real world setting? No, seriously, why people are doing this shit?!
>I want to run Not!Europe
>It will have Not! for every single bit
>I want everything to match, right down to major rivers and general shape of the landmass
>That's why I will draw a shit-tier map myself rather than just picking the real deal and at least have coherent map.

Why?! What for? You are not kidding anyone it's a Not!Europe, so why not picking an actual map? Need magic in it or fantastic creatures? Then give it a fucking Shadowrun treatment, but at least stop procuring shitty maps.

>Only artists can criticize art
Get. Out.

Here's the issue I'm running into. I've got a lot of points of interest on my map so it's getting kinda cluttered. It's actually quite a mess and hard to decipher. Should I just mark them with numbers and then have a guide at the side or is there a more elegant way of handling this? I should also mention that I was going to give each of my players a map with only the southern most city marked and as they explore they could fill it out how they want.

>literally the easiest to use tool possible
>n-no I won't show you mine I just happen to be an expert that's all

Every time.

Why does everyone like inkarnate so much? I always thought both the new and old style were never all that attractive

I'm not that guy and I already posted mine. Try again, sweetie.

It's easy to use and easy to read. A lot of people have trouble drawing even the simplest shit.

What I do when I make maps is usually make a world map, then individual region maps that I switch between as the players travel. It requires more time commitment but is worth it in the long term. Another thing you could do is just up the scale of the image, though if you're using Inkarnate so that might be a problem.

Personally, I'd choose Hexographer over Inkarnate. Pic related is what I'm working on at the moment

does anybody have a link to alternatively acquire hexographer pro?

What are you babbling about, you fucking retard. Here is a historical map of the known world.

ITS NOT ACCURATE IS IT, YOU USELESS SHIT.

Poast a link to the program.

just google the name...

inkarnate.com/

>literal sweetie posting

Did you go to school to become an autist or were you just born this way?

It's literally in the OP you double retard

Go back to Tumblr, faggot .

The result of a Dawn of Worlds game this weekend

more maps, less autism

Enhance on starting region for Savage Worlds game beginning soon

I love these. I haven't yet tried my hand at small scale maps.

Posting mine that i've posted before

WIP

Yes you are and no you didn't. Man up.

I did. Go ahead and rate every map in the thread. I'll wait. This is the only way to get an unbiased opinion.

And seriously, I'm not that guy.

Your shorelines suck

Boring shapes. Good technique though.

Heres my overworld map, because I forgot to save half my edits and Im not going to redo that shit just to add labels and detail.

plz finish this my dick needs it

The new icons and junk for Inkarnate make it better for small maps than for large continental maps. The old stuff could be used for a larger scale, but the new stuff just isn't as suitable imo.

world map

How can we get in touch with Inkarnate Devs? Through Twitter?

>make it better for small maps than for large continental maps
>Implying

I hate this fucking map so fucking much. But it demonstrates that the larger scale works if you play around with the scale.

Jesus what a clusterfuck.

Holy hell that's a lot of mountain ranges. Were all of those really necessary to segment everything into their separate disneyland zones instead of having some more varied borders?

>Hello, everyone!

>We want to talk you about the project we are developing.

>We are a group of students who are working on their first video game: Realms of Aldor. In this game, the player handles a king in Aldor, a continent set in a fantastic medieval era, and has to make decisions to bring his kingdom forward.

>The main factor of the game is the narrative: it has hundreds of different events and dozens of possible endings. We relied heavily on the style of the old books of "Choose your own Adventure" (among other gamebooks), so if you were a fan of them, this game is for you.

>Keep an eye on!, we will be launching several publications showing our progress.

Yes.

Super bad example bro. Mappa mundi aren't intended to be accurate.

Why should the adventurer's map be accurate?

hey its warhammer fantasy

I've never made a map before. Can I please get some feedback on this?

Does anything make zero sense geographically? Anything obviously need to be removed or added?

Disclaimer: this isn't finished yet. I still need to do a lot of worldbuilding.

The only thing I might say is some of the positions of the rivers and lakes, but even that depends a lot on what the elevation is like.

It shouldn't.

>why should the adventurer's map, which is intended to be used to navigate, be accurate?

What is the scale? Is this like one entire hemisphere of the world, which is why it goes from cold to cold?

am i autistic or is everyone just really bad at making maps because this shit looks nothing like the other maps ITT

The expression "The map is not the territory" exists for a reason, and fallibility is a very important source of dramatic conflict in general.

Thanks guys!

This is a most of a world map. I can't get Inkarnate to zoom out or expand the borders, so I'm not sure how to add another continent.

I'm thinking the elevations will be typically lower around the cities and rivers. Mostly flatlands and valleys between the mountain ranges/between mountains and shoreline. Hopefully my shitty elevation markings make some sense.

Yes but a map should be capable of being used to navigate, mappae mundi are not meant to show even the relative position of land and water.

>hla oad
>tel branora
>tel fyr

>This is a most of a world map. I can't get Inkarnate to zoom out or expand the borders, so I'm not sure how to add another continent.

Make multiple maps and then join them together in Paint, GIMP, or Photoshop. That's what I did for this one after exporting it from Inkarnate in 3 maps.

Mine looks a lot like yours. Just way too many markers.

At this point why not just use the more aesthetically pleasing real map of Earth, and spin it as an alt universe setting.

Er, I don't know

Keep it clean and simple.

I vote to replace pic related with the clusterfuck you posted, as the posterchild of bad/uninspired map design.

I second that notion.

What about this?

Found a better example of map-stitching before edits.

That's literally Golarion.

God I wish that that site allowed larger maps
Like, 5-6 times the size

Tweet the devs at InkarnateRPG on Twitter.

There's also Tel Aruhn and Asarnabissi.
Also a Sadrith Cono, clearly riffing on Sadrith Mora.

I didn't design the world, just made the map based on a really simple inkarnate 1.0 map the dm made. I did 4 and merged em and added embellishments and text in photoshop.

I don't know shit about web design but that site is janky as fuck

yeah i just tried it and it makes my computer run like a snail

Thoughts?

>mappae mundi are not meant
You realize at the point of creation mappa mundi represented the most accurate information available about the world?

The merchant republic of e-Stan

They were used to collate information. They were never used to navigate, they're useless if you wish to display an accurate representation of the geography of a setting to players. The best a mappa mundi could be used for in a game is a fancy "level select screen", your players could not refer to it to find geographical landmarks to navigate.

How's this to start with? Needs more streams, hamlets, and actual biome variations, I know.