Fantasy Science Fiction?

We've all heard someone say that Star Wars is just a Fantasy set in Space. There are plenty of other fantasy tropes that make it into Science Fiction. Are there any stories that could be described as the flip of Star Wars? A Science Fiction but with all of the trappings of Fantasy. Barring that settings where magic is common and treated as a form of technology?

>Starwars
>Fantasy in space
It just follows the Monomyth. What's fantasy about that?

The monomyth is a pretty textbook formula for fantasy and mythology user

The monomyth is just used in basic storytelling in general. It's not exclusively fantasy.

Dune

Always Dune

>Wonders why someone would think starwars is fantasy

It has swords and magic user

the force
prophesies
etc

Don't forget Luke is being trained as a knight

StarWarsIV is not about science in any way. It's basically Christian clerics with [laser]swords using magic (i.e. the force) trained by a wizard (obiwan) fighting a fallen "dark" palladin with red sword. The death star is a dungeon and they're literally saving a princess.

Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars stuff?

Dune is a good read. It can be a little esoteric at times though

I've heard good things about Gene Wolf's Book of the New Sun

>Starwars is a Fantasy set in space
>Flip of Starwars
Uhh, user? Did you mean a story that was essentially a Science fiction set in a fantasy setting?

>settings where magic is common and treated as a form of technology?
In: I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job, mana powers appliances and someone who wanted to become an adventurer works as a cashier?

>A Science Fiction but with all of the trappings of Fantasy
In magical girl lyrical nanoha, magic is cast with the aid of 'devices' which have AIs in them. And theres a Time/Space Administration Beauro which operates out of basically a spaceship

>settings where magic is common and treated as a form of technology?
Eberron?

user. Op's post image literally is Eberron

>Science Fiction
user? Science Fiction is anything that logically explores the consequences of it's premise (technology, magic whatever)

>logically explores the consequences of it's premise
uuuhhh. That's any speculative fiction, not just sci fi

>Science Fiction is anything that logically explores the consequences of it's premise
>That's any speculative fiction, not just sci fi
inb4 thread derail arguing what science fiction is

The term Speculative fiction comes from Robert A Heinlen who used it as a synonym for Science Fiction and clarified that Fantasy was not spec fic

what are they about?

>A Science Fiction but with all of the trappings of Fantasy.
Ever heard of Science Fantasy user?

Pern

You say that like it's a bad thing.
>Cuckery is the mind-killer, the little death
It's so widely applicable, I love it

Yes but in common usage people use it to talk about futuristic shit and advanced technology, faglord.

This is probably the best answer so far

A fantasy setting where it has a scientific explanation of how our current world become like it and how magic works

Thank you, I thought so too. I've been thinking, which is probably bad, but maybe the Venture Bros. too. I'm not sure it is quite fantasy but I think it certainly hits on the tropes. Maybe that's just because magic and science play similar roles in the show and I am confusing or equating them though.

Starfinder is probably the most recent setting that has magic as technology; right along side technology as technology, magic as magic and a bit of technology as magic. The Marvel movies have had some flavoring of in spots. Hell I think that was directly stated in the first Thor movie. Also the Riddick movies seemed to be a semi-dark High Science Fantasy.

Pic related.... modern day man gets transported back to an alternate timeline where he uses his knowledge of science to perform 'magick'

This is a good example

aw yeah, the is a great example!

Night Land?

The Cthulhu Mythos?