I hope the catalonian crisis actually builds up to something and won't end up being another " LE WACKY SPECIAL...

I hope the catalonian crisis actually builds up to something and won't end up being another " LE WACKY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE INSURGENCY XDDDDDD" insurgencies are already OP as fuck and we don't need more dumbass rules to build against

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Portugese Empire is best faction and fuck your Spanish pride shit.

>implying i play spain
I used too be a good rus boy
Them they fucking nucked novgorod
Now i have a nork army

Catalonia is rightful French clay. Let's hope Jupiter puts an end to Spain's... "civilizational problems".

Jupiter is a shit writter because he falls apon the same tropes every time(great man comes along,great man does some over the top conquest,dies, leaves a giant legacy) but he's better than fucking quetzalcoatl
Like seriously what the fuck happened to the north america storyline

Quetz was writing in a vacuum and forgot that the other storylines were running in tandem
Seriously "Lets make the most important person to these people, an actual god, look like the average guy from across the ocean. And to top it all off, let's make it so when he leaves, he GOES that way too! And on a boat!"

And then when they have him start writting for the colonies he becomes a hige americaboo for some reason
Like jesus why is the civil war event so big?

how is this Veeky Forums

Its literally the same thing as any other history us a wargame thread
The only difference is that it doesn't outright state its topic

Whatever happened to the horse archer meta? I miss my infinite hordes.

Just last edition they decided to split the Spanish faction in half, and now they're doing it again this ed.? Man, there's way too much faction bloat this edition, the devs keep making new nations. Everything went downhill after they split up the Soviet Union due to some shitty lore fiat.

>being a butt blasted commie player
Go eat more cabbage

Replaced with shitty toyota spam. Blame game studio for pushing the shitty middle east civil war expansion so hard

Look, there was no other way to keep the setting intact or build up to the eventual fall of the US. The fans were tired of that starry flag everywhere, but there was no way to phase it out quickly without going full post-apoc, and the devs are not pulling that card yet.

I mean, look at the North Korea splatbook. They're teasing MAD again but you know they won't do it.

I know Mongols haven't been relevant for at least 9 editions, but I really thought the Dzungar list was them throwing me a bone.

And then Russia stomped that, too. None of my armies have been playable since then.

> last edition they decided to split the Spanish faction in half

user, they've been doing that since the first couple of 19th century editions.

You'd think after this long the writers would get a few new ideas, but some fucker on the dev team just has a hard-on for the exact same war repeating itself a dozen times over, player interest be damned.

You'd think if they introduced a mechanic with good lore like that they'd do more than just set up North Korea as the BBEG for the next edition. And NK doesn't even have a good splat...
Man, at least they gave Germany a bit of limelight to be cool for once, even if they gave it over to some shitty edgelord to write the new lore.
It also sucks they ax'd the most diverse faction they had, the Austro-Hungarians.

See, this is what we've been waiting for; an actual shakeup in the Western factions. They were trying to do that with the Brexit update, but honestly, it just wasn't satisfying. If this ante-upping actually happens, it could actually be the kick-in-the-pants that Western players have been wanting.

That, or they're just trying to get Andorra players to play a real faction.

>Like jesus why is the civil war event so big?
Oh quit your whining, that was a few years, tops, and the campaign was unbalanced from the start. It was nothing like the big ol War of the Roses campaign. Now THAT was retardedly huge and had way too much fucking backstory.

>commie players still exist
Just stop
The army was never fun
The lore was always shit
Fascist should have become themain ideology

>implying the facism rules were any good
neck urself desu

>war of the roses
>implying that ever actually mattered
Fucking india matters more than the war of the roses
The civil war event was hyped up as the "future of war"
Dixie player today are still hyper salty that they lost the war

>hurr durr italy was the only fascist army
>implying
German african campaign
Checkmate

Germany was middle school edgelord bait and you fucking know it.

Dude, it's been years. Just let it go. Your edgy units were never even that good beyond their initial expansion, and your wonderweapons cost too many points to actually USE. Like shit, did ANYONE ever manage to field a Ratte? Even the Maus got overrun by the less costly American units.

How is this Veeky Forums?

>He's never played the best wargame in History
k e k

Yeah but it was fun edge bait that didn't try to hide as le intellectuals like commies

>The original Jews and Gypsies expansion is getting reprinted
Neat.

Fuck off Reddit, your presence is neither needed nor wanted.

I have the best memories of playing the Soviets around 1944 Edition.

Nothing's more satisfying than being able to say "I build two times what I lost last turn"- and having each and every one of my T-34s be just as good as their Panzer IVs when I give them some decent wargear and end-game upgrades.

Course, it was horrifically overpowered, but I never really felt bad about beating up the middle school edgelords who had failsome writing (seriously? kill an ethnic group because lolgrimdark? this is some Imperium tier shit writing).

>tfw Imperial Russia player last ed
>faction gets squated in favour of new army
>hear Russia is getting some new lore for next ed after disastrous Afghanistan flufff writing
>it's shit

Is the Vietnam faction still as good as it was back in 1960/1970e? I have good memories keking at ameritard players crying as they lost all their cool vehicles to a bunch of fucks who were supposedly "rice-farming gooks".
Good times.

You got set up m8. You fell for the Dixie meme. They were set up to fail, it's pretty obvious they were being written as the baddies. Not as many units, less infrastructure, so much reliance on "muh honor" that you'd swear they were just rehashing some of the old Nippon rules.

>Overpowered
You never played againts Finnish snipers right?

Like they always say, there are two types of Russia players...

How do you guys feel about the new direction they've taken the USA fluff in lately? What are they planning? Possible sequel to the Civil War scenario?

How do I beat English players?

You don't. Nobody can beat the English in the lore as far as the last 2 editions go, it's bullshit Mary Sue plot armour

A lot of factions have weaknesses to gorrila warfare(america in particular)
But the vietnamese onky work in forested areas
And most people play terroist groups or urban insurgencies
So no
You would get raped

Going to amount to nothing. They keep promising "USA nerf!" every expansion and it never happens. And don't you give me any of the "not as powerful as 90s USA " bullshit, you know damn well it's still OP. It's why they've had to be invading forces for literally every single expansion since then, because nobody can make a dent in it. Just learn to be disappointed.

> insurgencies are already OP as fuck

I know it's boring, but Chinese builds crush them. You need Western tech levels, minus Western culture (check out the Marsh Arabs campaign).

>Play epic game vs Vietnam fags
>Out numbered 10 to 1
>The slaughter is real, napalm everywhere
>End of turn 5 haven't lost a single unit will table the opposition next turn, maybe turn 7 if they're really lucky
>Literally more casualties to Agent Orange rolls t
han enemy fire
>Game went to time, had to leave to pick up kids from soccer.
>Veitnam fags claim they won because I had to pull out

Veitnam fags are the worst

Yeah, with the new emphasis on urban combat, I was expecting their combination of Guerrilla Warfare rules and the Tunneling rules ripped from the Nips would suck, since they can only use those in the countryside.
They're taking the balance in shitty directions with this "Capitalism vs Insurgency" lore bullshit they've been pulling the last edition or so

It isn't, because the only East Asia factions that get any attention anymore are China, India, and North Korea. None of the writers want to tackle the Southeast lore clusterfuck I guess. I don't think there have been any updates to Vietnam at all since like 2000e.

>North Korea

Damn, they're actually looking pretty hot this edition. I love their new nuclear arms rules. Hopefully us Iran players get something like that

You really haven't been seeing what players are doing with the Chinese in my local meta. They've always been kind of strong, but they have some specific exploits they can leverage over Western factions. You're just drowning in cash and you have access to their entire tech tree for a fraction of the price. Wicked stupid, man.

They said Iraq was gunna get it and all they got was some recycled weapons from the World War One campaign. Don't expect too much

user nobody cares about the joke faction. Just because they have the bantz doesn't mean they can actually do shit. They're going to end up Squatted in a couple editions anyway.

They compensate with the stupid low morale.

I really want to see Spain to fracture like a Balkan nation.

Yeah but their fluff sucks really hard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

Chinese got better, but they're still nowhere close to USA in how OP they are. Boons for one faction doesn't automatically mean much-needed nerfs for another. It's been that way for so many editions I've lost count, probably all the way back to the old Rome vs. Carthage campaign.

It won't, nobody will care about this in a month.

>shitty toyota spam
>It's a modifiable troop carrier/lav that costs less than most base infantry units
Look, unless you're playing a big enough game where proper armor don't cost your entire point allocation for one unit, technical spam will remain broken. If your army has them, try units with stealth rules like sbs or seals just to break the monotony

CARTHAGE STILL SHOULD HAVE FUCKING WON
WE WON SO MANY GODDAMN BATTLES, WE WERE THIS CLOSE TO SACKING ROME, AND THEY CHANGED THE RULES AT THE LAST MINUTE

YES I'M STILL SALTY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS

NK's entire point for being there is to take the piss out of the old MAD meta. It's not actually supposed to be a viable faction. It's there so the devs can rile up the "nukes are OP" players by publishing an army that is Eritrea-tier at every possible thing /except/ for nukes.

If what Catelonia Crisis! and the Kurdistan e-book fleshed out holds thematically, the best move is to wait. Empire fatigue and regional identity resurgence will start costing English all their auxiliary states.

SPQR, elephant memer.

B2Reddit

Things could go the other way though and the english countries could start banding back up

Rules weren't changed last minute, you guys just had a few great players that almost turned the tide, but Rome had more people rolling the Eagle.

In the end, I think Hanny won big - there's maybe a couple dozen individual players who have ever gotten mentioned in the final splats, and he KEEPS being mentioned in them. Skip was just as good, but he doesn't get a mention.

Besides, did you ever check the behind the scenes stuff of that event? Carthage was set up to lose unless they knocked Rome out quickly. Was only because Hanny was such a great player it lasted as long as it did.

Honestly don't think they're going to abandon the EuroUnion thread either. They could do both - break up the larger countries into smaller regional groups under a larger Federal banner, bring back shades of the Holy Roman Empire.

Doubtful. Brexit update points in the opposite direction. We'll see how the EU metaplot plays out; another round of balkanization Balkans author can get fucked; while the mechanic looks sound, it ends up just making everything suck for everyone the majority of the time has been telegraphed hard. Gotta have those conflict drivers or content gets stale!

>Takes his elephants THROUGH THE ALPS
>Surrounds bigger armies with smaller ones
>Keeps outsmarting Romaboo players on their home turf
Hanny was a treasure.

> Great Northern War arc coming to an end
> Steppe Horseman player leaves most of his army at home before tourney
> Charles loses battle after battle because horse boy memed him
> Quits the tournament and fucking Russiaboos get even more free wins.

I'm still pissed even all these editions later. Swedish Empire was such a good faction, and now all the Swedish lore is fucking terrible.

Also fuck Russia, the only good Russian arc was the civil war one.

>Saying the fluff sucks bc of one fetish fuel story >2 thousand years of dynastic cycle
>Mao Arc

What are you even saying, son?

Hey, you guys got all those science points later.

Cossacks haven't been relevant since Lenin showed up.

They don't have a fucking army anymore

The weather rules are pretty much undefeated... And then there's hanny

Exactly.

I miss Mongols, I miss Uyghurs, I miss Dzungars, I miss Huns, and I was so mad when they roped my Gokturks into the Islam books.

I wasn't there for it (My first splat was Western Rome 450, I rolled the Eagle. Man was I pissed how Aetius went down), but I've read old zines and stuff.

Apparently, the judges were going to rule against Hanny bringing his army across the Alps because it was impassable terrain, but then he brought out a battered copy of "Cisalpine Gaul" that talked about armies crossing it all the time.

Judges kinda had to let it go at that point, since the writers never made a rule against it, they just assumed it was obvious difficult terrain.

You think we are ever going to have a united euro army or is europe going to start world war 3 again?

... Huh. I just noticed that the Islam books are where they put all the armies that they want to phase out

I fucking dont. Im going there in 12 hours

Gokturks were so much better when they had the Tengri ruleset. Wolves of the Steppe and Skyfather were great abilities.

Trying to remember, did Hanny switch to the Mongols after the Carthagnians were phased out as a faction? I was always focused on the West (I played Rome until the bitter end during the Fall of Constantinople event), ragequit a while, the came back when the Colonial America stuff came out. I missed out on the big events of the English Civil War event, but we had some fun in the English Colonies versus each other. I still think the Restoration was a bullshit asspull simply because the writers wanted a stupid monarchy.

If Temujin was Hanny, everyone would've noticed.

Look, I'm still salty as fuck about Manzikert, but I'll admit we old Byzzie players got played hard. Turks were a decent faction until the Colonial Age and still almost viable up until the World War One Aftermath splat took away just about everything but Anatolia.

He's been in and out of the game since then. In the interim he's played Poland-Lithuania, Aztecs, some Native American tribes, I think he dabbled with Imperial japanese for like, a month, a couple Indian places I cannot for the life of me remember, Zulus, Yugoslavia, and Emus (That event was hilarious)

>Single player conspiracy
Nah. People go to the tournaments. Just because you get one or two really great players per edition doesn't mean it's always the same players

Blame the turk players for that. Every time it looked like they were gonna get an update since the siege of vienna one they started to practically foam at the mouth cause they thought it would make them even weaker, and when WW1 rolled out they were stuck with an army that was hilariously out of date

Temujin was good, but he was no Hanny. Temujin saw the rules for Horse Archers and figured out the best way to utilize them. He could break most other players through sheer skill and pragmatism. Hanny on the other hand did things that just seemed impossible. He knew like 12 different rulebooks like the back of his hand. Whereas Temujin was crazy and brilliant, Hanny was brilliant and crazy.

That napoleon dude stopped playing during that Zulu event. He actually played the brits, but he lost to some new player, so he decided to call it quits.

Wait, I thought he was involved with the D-day event.
Though to be fair, pretty much every non-axis euro player had swapped to either them or brits for that event.

Temujin yeah, people would have noticed.

But what if he was playing Subutai? I was rolling a Nikea army and busy beating the snot out of the Latins at the time, so my focus wasn't on those battles, but I did read the after-action reports later on, and Subutai did some amazing stuff.

If he's not Hanny, then whoever played Subutai is better than him.

Did we ever figure out if Khalid was really one guy or a bunch of guys?

It didn't help that the subfactions of the Ottos got splats and drained their players.

>Emus
Oh man. I remember that. Wasn't that an April Fools splat they decided to make canon because it was hilarious and fit the Aussie schema?

You have a point.

I blame the changes to Janissaries and the dumb Sultanate Succession rules. Remember when Janissaries were good?

Suleiman was the last good Sultan, and they ruined his statline before phasing him out.

Otto players were fucking babies anyway. The reason this whole shit started is cause they lost ONE battle after they got an update
ONE

I think it was a bunch of players, to be honest, just using the same name to help give the asspull.

To this day I still think that the whole "Arab Explosion" bullshit was the biggest asspull, and just because the new head writer didn't like purple and wanted to take down the Empire.

Yeah, the guy didn't like the purple and decided to make his own epic undefeatable mary sue faction that was way better than everyone else without even trying
They fired him, but some people think he might be back

>and Emus (That event was hilarious)
Hanny was definitely involved in that one. Him and a few other veteran players. Just goes to show how much things have changed, those Aussie players scored high in the WW1 campaign, but they still couldn't beat the vets.

Originally it was just a couple games that they all decided to do for shits and giggles, but it somehow ended up canon

>Remember when Janissaries were good?
I'm having flashbacks to being overwhelmed with those fuckers repeatedly. I may have called for them to be nerfed, out of salt.

The Succession Rules were put in to give some sort of strategic balance to the Ottos so that they wouldn't steamroll half the world. Not that it stopped them much. But in the end it just drained too many players away.

They won Gallipoli somehow, although I think that's because one player kept kibbutzing.

I suspect he's behind the Stars and Stripes, but that's my current faction so I'm being hypocritical and not saying shit.

Lets be honest, those were newb players that the Emu Vets were against, with some dumb choices on weaponry.

Nah, it wasn't the succession rules that killed them (Though that did help) It was the complete sperg out after they lost the battle of vienna. Pretty much all the sane people slowly decided to use those shiny new successor rules to not be associated with those nutjobs

Actually the weaponry choice was sound. They just got a hilariously bad series of rolls

Bad rolls and not making the most of their points. That's one reason the vets did so well, there was not a single point wasted.

I wasn't around for the sperging; I pretty much missed all the 1500 edition stuff because I was still salty over losing The City. I mean I played Rome since the 400 Edition and all the updates, I was a tad salty. Tad.