Getting a Car Dealersip Sales Job

What's the low-down on becoming a car salesman for a dealership? From what I've read, all you gotta do to work is walk in, tell them you're young, inexperienced, and hungry for money and they'll start you off. Give you a couple of months to prove yourself and if you can adapt, you'll start making decent comission.

I know it's gonna be pretty shit in the beginning and if I don't sell (well), I'll be making mini/draw and starve. There are no ads for this position anywhere near me and I am desperate for work, but I'm adaptable.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15037222/
youtube.com/watch?v=SBF0nZ_Kfag
youtube.com/watch?v=qgIsXnNVWtg
youtube.com/watch?v=Nkb-5eSezO4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you know where to get cocaine, you've got a huge leg up over the other applicants.
>source: dad was a car salesman for 15 years

wait wut

You need to look good, have good physique and high social skill, otherwise you’re fucked

Been working in this business for 5 years and am a manager as of today at 23

I'm not ugly or fat, and I can clean up well. Any tips for starting off?
Stamina, aggression, confidence boost.

It's a pretty open secret that most car dealerships+car salesmen function on generous amounts of cocaine and alcohol. Some of them only drink (like my ex's dad or my dad), but a lot of car salesmen are super into coke

Well the upside is I've been looking at crypto 24/7 all month because you get so much time to kill. Jobs commission is pretty shit, long hours, everyone's a snake, and I deal with a lot of iraqis that want "best price" but don't even know what it is. Easy job but the money isn't there, if I make a decent profit off crypto I'll take a vacation and switch jobs.

I didn't know you were allowed to post about anything except crypto on here.

Everyone used to talk about Stocks here, now its a crypto containment board.

Sure, what country do you live in?
To get into this business you most likely need to know someone working at a dealership unfortunately

The money is started to become really good, I make about 3-4x of people my age per month

Yeah, I'm using it as a stepping stone to learn sales barebones.
There's a few good threads floating around everyday if you set the catalog to filter for replies.
The RobinHood referral guy's still shilling.
An appendium for car sales and in greentext formt? This is fucking perfect. Thank you, I'll be spending my entire night on this if it's legit.
East Coast, U.S.A

Only do this if you hate yourself or are addicted to drugs/women.

The advice you heard is pretty much spot on. Dress nicely, well fitting clean button down, slacks, and oxfords. Be somewhat aggressive and don't be afraid to ask for a job.

Be prepared to work 70+ hours a week and the money doesn't come for a bit (until you gain a following)

The link I posted was fucked but if you post a thread on Veeky Forums asking for it, someone will deliver. Also LPG still posts on Veeky Forums so he might just post the .pdf himself

Also pretty good job if you like crushing normies. Biggest commission was $1854 from one car.

>firm handshake
>outgoing (gay barista outgoing)
>learn how to deflect a "no" or "I'm just looking" or "I have to pick my kids up"
>buyers are liars
Also if you have a closer at your store, just get the customer inside and give it to the closer so they do all the work

Got any good greentext stories yourself?

(checked)
Cheers.

What is the turnover rate and average sales/ comission. Would someone selling Hondas make more than someone working at a BMW or Mercedes dealership?

>dress nice
>be well groomed
>demonstrate good social skills

That last one is the most important. You will be making money with your skills. People buy because they like you.

If you don't beat draw in 2 months during a lean season you're done.

Go to a reputable dealership. They pay better.

>reputable dealership
How do you determine this? Check reviews, mystery shop, and go with my gut?

Look up what a "Buy Here Pay Here" dealership is (hint: its the "NO CREDIT NO DOWN PAYMENT NO ASSETS NO PROBLEM" guys). You don't want to work for them.

He means go work at a chain (Autonation) or other franchise dealership, not Pajeet's clunkers 2 go.

>how much volume do they do
You don't want a small dealership and bigger isn't always better, but it often is.

>Google reviews
You'll mostly see the most positive and most negative reviews because those are the customers most motivated to post reviews. It still makes weeding out bad ones easy

>which local dealer has the largest inventory
Not always the best indicator because they might not be moving units, but it typically is

>how happy are the salesmen and employees
If you're applying and it's a dinky place with unhappy employees it's a bad place

Thank you.

>Spanish guy wants to be a baller
>comes to look at a XTS v-sport
>go thru whole process, demo, TD, desk price
>thousands apart
>after 45 minutes of grinding get my manager
>he can't close him
>manager leaves
>guy and I keep talking
>forget how but I close him but I get our asking price
>made a cool $800

this

And thank you.

Yeah, I didn't explicitly state this, but buy here pay here's are hell. New franchises are nice.

Op,

I work in sales, not car though but i wanted to chime in.

If you can separate your needs from your customers and understand the dynamic of the relationship you'll do just fine. People come to you to buy a car, thats a strong warm lead -- some of us salesfolk get no leads.

Its all about the value you give your customer, if shes a pregnant mother find out about why she wants the mini van, and go deeper than surface level. You need to drill down to whats important to the customer, and then you can deliver. If you start out on features or sale of the month or yata yata you'll come off as a pushy salesman (the reason people hate dealerships so much).

Good luck Op, sales is cake when you're genuine and hardworking.

Imagine that, not being a stiff asshole works in business. Never understand brainlets that “walk away” from negotiation

Oh look, I found a thread in the archive. Read up, OP

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15037222/

New car franchises to avoid
>Kia
>Nissan
>Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram

They do a lot of subprime deals. The clientele is unfortunately destitute (Ram and Jeep ocassionally have wealthy customers, but not always). It will depress you to work there and you will likely feel bad dealing with these people. They are typically not very intelligent either. That's a sad statement, but smart people don't get bad credit scores.

What is your quota?

I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate it. I'll have figure out how to steer the conversation that way as soon as possible.
Got a lot of notes here, thank you.

Cheers, mate. I really appreciate all the help. I'll get to it.

Things have slowed down a lot. We went from a 220 a month dealership to 165.

Average sales person does 10. Top four will hit anywhere from 20-10 depending on the month. We're a bit overstaffed though.

This. You need to be handsome, and you had better not be a manlet.

Ex car salesman here @ Caddy&Mopar dealer.

1. Sales goals are directly correlated too your paycheck.

2. New car sales has a better "spiffs" overall sales percentages also harder too sell.. vs. Used car sales.

3. Personality and politics RUNS the day2day operation of Dealership life. (Get good with service writers, and management) If one person gets a bad taste in their mouth about you, prepare for a difficult time.

4. some positives: You can drive the "shop car" which are slightly used late models. Deep discounted new car purchases for yourself and family/friends. Holiday pay/1.5_2.0 overtime hours. Powerful connections can be attained while working that may develop into lifelong friendships and business opportunities. Master techs are very useful resources. Car part resources are various and useful.

5. Never give 100% - if you do they will always be expecting 100%. Give 60-80% and when you're up for promotion or lateral moves then apply 100%

6. Some real qt's and chads in financial services.

7. awesome interest rates thru dealers financial services for employees

If i think of anything else pertinent, ill comment again. But for the most part.. its just ok.

Sam hyde was a car salesman. So you can be ugly as fuck as long as you're nice.

Dude learn sales from a salesman:
youtube.com/watch?v=SBF0nZ_Kfag

I work in an accounting department at a car dealership.

On the big 5 personality scale, sales people would be very high in extroversion. To be move on up in the world you would also have to be conscientious.

You don't necessarily need to be intelligent either. I really don't mean to sound like a rick and morty fan, but sales people really are not the brightest.

I can confirm this, top sales guy got sent to rehab.

On a side note, from what i've heard, sales people also have to be aggressive.

Please treat the accounting department well, yes the book keepers can be fucking retarded, the accountants (and the would be accountants, like myself) just want to help you and get the job done. We also have the complete opposite personalities, introverted and industrious.

In terms of your commissions, you will most likely be given a choice of a pay plan. Cars are low margin products, most of the money comes from the after market products. If you are a good sales person, choose the pay plan with the products, if not go with the car volume plan.

For reference, i'm a t.brainlet working part-time at a car dealership. I was going to to law school, but i decided to start my own company, it didn't work out, and I decided to become an accountant.

Feel free to ask any questions you have on the accounting side of things.

>pic related, big 5 archetypes

This has been illuminating, but not detering. I've found the actual PDF and it's some good stuff.
>3. Personality and politics RUNS the day2day operation of Dealership life. (Get good with service writers, and management) If one person gets a bad taste in their mouth about you, prepare for a difficult time.
I didn't know this and I'll have to keep it in mind from now on.
I'll take a look, but a lot of the info on this guy seems to be: "He's good at selling his Grant Cardone, but not teaching you how to sell like Grant Cardone."
>extraversion and conscientious
I've got a lot of this, so that's reassuring.
>aggressive
I've heard this too, especially starting out.
>Feel free to ask any questions you have on the accounting side of things.
What are the biggest mistakes sales guys make when interacting with the accountants besides the "hey hey bro, bro, bro listen, etc." extraversion hug of death. And what are key elements of working with the accounting department?

I didn't buy shit from him but he is good, his attitude is explosive:
youtube.com/watch?v=qgIsXnNVWtg
Nobody is going to teach you nothing if you won't put your sweat into it.

btw. he does manage hundreds of millions in real estate and does non-bullshit interviews with others who made it:
youtube.com/watch?v=Nkb-5eSezO4

Not that i like him, but his material stands out.

GET YOUR MONEY RIGHT! FUCK, see i haven't watched his videos for a weeks but it's still within me. OBSESSION.

so you're saying i should get a job for a day at a dealership to get nice discount on a car?

>What are the biggest mistakes sales guys make when interacting with the accountants besides the "hey hey bro, bro, bro listen, etc." extraversion hug of death.

Bring the information needed. I can't tell you how many time a sales people bring me cheque requests without the necessary info.
For example, if a car deal is cancelled, the would-to-be owner name will not correspond with the vehicle. It takes an extra 5-10 minutes of searching in the system finding would-to-be owner. It may be a small amount of time, but it adds up.

>And what are key elements of working with the accounting department?

Regardless of any business if you want to move up, you need to know the basics of accounting. Just know DC ADE LER. I guarantee you will impress the book keepers and accountants if you know a shred of accounting.

Don't expect book keepers to answer complicated questions, ask the accountants and be respectful, they have a lot more work.

Accounting departments are littered with women, expect emotional volatility and general women bullshit.

But not all of them are like that, my controller is a genius, the audits are perfect... when I mean perfect, I mean PERFECT. The auditors call her up to ask her questions, not the other way around. Then again, she is anomaly.

Accountants are a huge source of knowledge, especially if they are older, get on their good side as you would with any exceptional person that can open doors for you.

Not that i have to post but i just wanted to remind you guys that i'm still OBSESSED.
;p

Same guy who asks for my pen and writes a ridiculous offer on the worksheet.

They'll hire anyone because sales jobs are miserable. If people don't want to buy their shit product they blame you.

They'll put constant pressure and stress on you to sell sell sell, and even if you meet the unrealistic quotas they'll just set them higher next month. You'll work with a bunch of fake backstabbing cunts too.

The way to get around it is to not give a fuck. Don't let their constant pestering of you to sell bother you. If their products aren't selling, it's their product's fault, but don't tell them that because some of them worship the product. Also whatever you do, don't put on a fake personality. People can spot that bullshit a mile away and it makes you seem disingenuous. Just act normal and talk to them like they're actual people.

Bingo. Don't Sell Them. Guide them.

I worked for years in car sales. Hours are shit and everyone's a snake including the dealership. I still made money but wasn't worth it. It was a great crash course in sales though.