Character Red Flags

Red flags that a player's character is going to be terrible.

>Parents killed as a child
>Insane
>Specificially states the character is an atheist, usually several times

>fights slavery and gender inequality in a medieval setting

>I based this character of my favorite superhero, Deadpool!

>raped

being an ex slave who fights for slaves is top tier.

Hell, anyone wearing a plethora of Deadpool merch would be a massive red flag for me.

I don't even know how people can find him funny at this point. I used to, but I'm not 15 any more.

>Parents, childhood or whole life missing, forgotten, or amnesia'd.
>Evil powers with no drawback.
>Unoriginal greeco-roman name stolen directly form a lame historical figure.
One of my players named his evil wizard Caligula Maximus unironically. It wasn't even for a laugh, he thought it was the coolest shit.

>[adjective], 'nuff said

Yeah but that's more "Violent revolutionary" than the usual red flag there.

Yes, but Spartacus tho.

>Wants to genocide (insert race here)

>fallen deity/demon/angle that's been turned mortal
>wan't homebrew abilities

>"My character tries to seduce any female he sees."

What if he's an atheist because his character goal is to kill all gods?

>GM: "[race] is extinct / doesn't exist in this setting."
>Player: (vibrating with anticipation, sweating, drooling, hands shaking)
>GM: "No"
>Player: (frothing at the mouth)
>GM: "NO"
>Player: (speaking in tongues, nearby plants begin to wilt, eyes roll back)
>GM: "DON'T"
>Player: "I want to play one"

It doesn't matter what gets banned, what doesn't exist, what went extinct. I could run a game set in Forgotten Realms and say that this extremely obscure subrace of elf that appeared in only one novel and didn't even get any stats in a sourcebook isn't a playable option. Because I said this, because I specifically called out that obscure-ass subrace, some faggot is going to come out of the woodwork and blurt out "BUT I WANT TO PLAY ONE"

It happens every fucking time, like goddamn magic. It's like telling these infantile fucking idiot bitch fuck players that they can't have something triggers some kind of primitive instinct in their malformed, underdeveloped brains that makes them want the exact thing I told them they can't have. The reason doesn't even matter, they just want it because they can't have it, and otherwise reasonable and mature players will fucking devolve before your eyes into gibbering, flailing primitives when you do it.

It's fucking incredible. I could probably write a thesis on this behaviour.

Make jokes about how his character Maxi must call Igula, all the time.

"You must call Igula, Maxi! Maxi-must!"

Ur priests are more suited to an antagonist than a PC. Stealing the power of the gods isn't really a team sport

>wants to genocide elves
>thinking this is anything other than a green flag

That's like the most common RPG staple. Every PC should be considered an orphan unless said otherwise.

I have to say I'm more willing to believe the other user. It's probably a good policy for revealing Veeky Forums memers, like "lol fuck elves" guys and 40k heresy-shouters.

Elf genocide is the noblest goal ever.

Make human sword-and-shield Fighter the banned class, have a good laugh at that guy's expense.

I should do that next time I run a game outside of circle of good players.

This. Doesn't matter what I fucking say. If I don't want it in my game, my players will fight tooth and nail for it. I'm closing down a game today just because I can't be assed to deal with it anymore.

ask for what they plan to build.
then tell them if something in their build is banned.

It's so fucking annoying, isn't it? I can't understand this mentality because on the rare occasion I get to be a player, I try to build my character using what I know of the setting and what the rest of the party is made up of (and if I'm one of the first to decide what to play, I usually pick some type of warrior). I don't go in already knowing what I want to play, which allows me to be flexible.

I find this behaviour is worse in the 3.PF community than in any other game across all of tabletop because of the whole "muh build" / thought experiment bullshit that's rampant in the community. I'm glad I don't play those games anymore.

The recent run (before Crisis on Infinite Marvels) was pretty good.

The Way run is trash.

What about war orphans?
Would a rogue that's basically from a wartorn country, that had to learn how to steal, skulk and threaten as young orphan to survive, later turned spy in following war be a terrible character?

>bard

>usually several times

>I don't go in already knowing what I want to play, which allows me to be flexible.
I sometimes know what I want to play, but if the GM asks for something during character creation, I will follow both the letter and the spirit of what he's saying, and I'll try to make a character where the GM doesn't have to make a special effort to make sure I don't steamroll every encounter on my own.

>"So I found this homebrew class on dandwiki..."

>My character is part-demon/ angel

Hallmarks of bad GM are inability to adapt to PCs. If they are steamrolling, make it harder, if they are getting fucked, make it easier (or atleast ensure it's interesting).

>being an atheist in a D&D game

That's just being a fucking dunce.

Red flag doesn't mean automatically unacceptable. If it's clear that the character is well thought-out and the player is willing/able to participate meaningfully in the game then it's not a problem.

Smite evil right in front of their character and ask them to explain what happened.

Roll persuade to convince the character to convert to your faith, then watch him cry to GM how it's bullshit.

>dude i've got this really cool idea, i'm going to betray the party later on

>"Oh, my character doesn't like magic. He hates is and thinks all casters are bad. He's going to attack every magic user he sees on sight, including the party's wizard, and probably even the cleric"
>"My character doesn't like to speak much"
>"I was raised by wolves/abandoned in the woods as a child"
>"My character is 13 years old and/or killed their own parents"
>"I'm a tiefling, for any reason"

self replying

>"Can I have a gun? My character really likes technology and mechanical stuff so give me like a musket or something, who cares if we're playing arthurian era fantasy"

>>"My character is 13 years old and/or killed their own parents"
>"My character is a prodigy member of [class or occupation] and killed his master"
>still starts out at level 1
Uh-huh.

>apprentice wizard kills his teacher
>it was a lab accident

>My character is a Kender

I always imagine atheists in settings with actual gods that affect daily life to be like the Goddless in RuneScape.

There's no belief in god, gods are undoubtably real, the Goddless just want the gods to fuck off and leave the mortal realm alone.

>>"Oh, my character doesn't like magic. He hates is and thinks all casters are bad. He's going to attack every magic user he sees on sight, including the party's wizard, and probably even the cleric"
Bruh that's just how you play a Barbarian.

>>"My character is a prodigy member of [class or occupation] and killed his master accidentally"

See, that's much better. Though, if he sneaked up on the guy and killed him in a sneaky way, I could accept that, too. Daggers may do 1d4 damage, but outside of the abstractions of combat, a knife in the throat is still a knife in the throat.

Men playing girls is always at least a little weird

Wasn't there one such guy in first Drizzt book? If memory serves, he then pretended to be the master, successful.

>Allowing skill checks against other PCs for things dealing with changing major beliefs such as religion rather than forcing them to roleplay an actual pitch/argument where the PC converts if the player feels that good points were made

>the word 'rape' appears anywhere in the description or backstory

>crossplaying
It's a red flag. That said, once your player has earned your trust as someone who can crossplay responsibly, it's okay. I have two such players in my group, but just about everyone else I've gamed with makes things really awkward when they crossplay.

Our entire group is men playing women.. 2,5/3 of them are elven women on the top of it.

Sometimes, you just wanna be a pretty and elegant girl.

>having a form of drugs or different forms of drugs said three or more times in character bio
My only exeption was a drow sorcerer who smoked pot, he's quite fun to have in a campain. because of general things, he's become the DMPC within most sessions, because of production of robots for varied purposes.

Anything from an Anime. Just found out one of my player's ripped their name and character concept directly from an Anime.

Playing women is fine and dandy so long as you're not doing it for weird sexual reasons.

Hell, my last character was a woman but she was a bald, fidgety weirdo with a mentality for magic similar to a Space Pirate's mentality toward phazon.

Not at all funny

>mfw I've never seen a bad tiefling

They're pretty benign in my experience.

What do you do if some characters are steamrolling and others are getting fucked?

This shit.

If I want to play a buff-ass half-orc who swings an axe like a motherfucker I'm already into a game of make-believe far beyond something I'd normally do. What does it matter if the character is male or female?

>they have a list of arbitrary red flags that they sperg out about

>thinking a barbarian should be retarded

>My character is like [Mainstream Character Name]
>My character is basically [Mainstream Character Name] but...

Just try again

The red flag is the fact that:
I base my characters on something
I use example from media
I use example from mainstream media
?

From those examples, it's that there's virtually nothing else to the character besides the inspiration.

>What does it matter if the character is male or female?

It doesn't, really. What matters is whether or not you will do so in a way that makes the evening awkward for the 3+ other people at the table with you.

I've had much worse happen, usually with people who are used to freeform switching over to actual tabletop systems. Usually they want to play the actual character from the show or game, not just something inspired by or similar to the character. No, they want to play that actual character, and they usually bring along some stupid explanation about interdimensional portals and alternate timelines and shit like that.

>"Okay player, before you make your character just know that the party is a group of [ANYTHING] and they're traveling to [ANYWHERE] to do a thing for [ANYONE]."
>"Here's my character. He hates [ANYTHING/ANYWHERE/ANYONE], I think it would create some interesting party conflict!"

The worst players.

depends on the anime.

Balsa Yonsa from "Moribito" would work fine because of how she's handled. She's just a lady. No magic powers, no superhuman capacities, nothing. Just a lady who is good with a spear.

WHY ARE THEY LIKE THIS

One player I knew had a kobold who dressed like Link, and PCs named Ezio and Altaiir.

>Parents, childhood or whole life missing, forgotten, or amnesia'd.
>Not playing as an orphan looking for his true parents

If it communicates what their character is like then it is fine. Not everybody has some flowery description of their character ready to go nor is everybody good at creating "original" characters. For a weaker roleplayer, playing something based off a more established character might help them out or at least give them a good base to develop their character from; the character you play is rarely the character you make, anyway.

It only starts being a red flag if they're trying to play an actual carbon copy of the established character or if stuff like happens.

"That's just magic. The wizard doesn't bother me about this shit"
And persuade checks don't work on players for good reason

They have this as their character portrait.

>>"Okay player, before you make your character just know that the party is a group of [ANYTHING] and they're traveling to [ANYWHERE] to do a thing for [ANYONE]."
>"Here's my character. He is neutral towards/doesn't care about [ANYTHING/ANYWHERE/ANYONE] and doesn't really want to get involved."
why

I ran a Human Fighter once, essentially a War of the Roses foot knight. His sole purpose, aside from wench's, boozing and retrieving loot, was enslaving and/or exterminating Elves.
Which led to a hilarious moment when the parties Elf whatever splatbook magic/fighty hybrid tried to smack talk him. In an enclosed environment. At perfect charge range. Without the other members being present.
On a side note, being capable of dealing 80 something damage on a successful critical is really fun when kexterminating powertripping pointy eared special snowflake faggots.

>completely annihilating some special snowflake "do everything at once" faggot with brawn and tactics
Feels so fucking good, man.

Actually works if the character is a dwarf or an pureblood orc.

>parents alive
>sane
>religious

Not saying OP is wrong but think about how boring the opposite is.

I don't believe there are actual red flags character-wise.

Just shitty ways to play mediocre ideas.

If gods exist in the setting, he can't be atheist. He'd be more of a naytheist.

Some settings with gods have people called "atheists" who believe the gods exist, but for whatever reason don't worship them.

Nah, the good feels came when he realised how fucked he was and tried to use his minmaxed Intimidate/Diplomacy to try and make me back down/talk his way out of it and found it only made my character angrier, then whined at the DM who asked me why I was reacting as I was:
>"Well, my nation did go to war in support of our Dwarf allies against Elvish aggression and saw the atrocities they committed against innocents and prisoners who surrendered honourably. He fucking hates them, just read page's x, x and x of my backstory.
The munchkin's face was priceless, especially when the GM ruled in my favour.

>tfw rolling hellspawn as a starter mutation in Rogue Trader
i just wanted to navigate the void, now i'm a half-creep

If those are your only traits yeah. You have to build a character personality that isn't a list of background traits to be interesting even if they are insane atheist orphans.

>sneak up on master in his meditations
>at last, the witching hour of my usurpation is at hand
>slide the blade into his neckflesh like a pin in a blood-filled balloon
>roll 1 damage
>GM: "he looks a bit hurt"

in rule-light setting you'd just cut his throat unless he realised you are there. Throat slit should be a routine action and thus not subject to a roll

Uh... half-orcs not allowed on your games?

>gm allowing players to roll socially against each other
shit tier

>parents killed as a child
Probably just doesn't want to give you the laziest DM copout in the world.

I honestly didn't know this was a thing, and think this is actually a nifty concept.
Forgotten Realms did this?

Tell me about it, especially as said minmaxer does this literally every game he is allowed too, basically forcing the other players to follow his wishes through uber-maxed out stats.
Which made my characters logical reaction to shittalking Elves even more fun, because it was the first time in forever that trying that on hasnt worked out for him.

Really hate it when players get to roll against each other instead of roleplaying it though. It takes the fun out and basically reduces it to stathammer, hence why I dont usually allow it in my games.

>thinking no one would willingly fuck an orc
You must be new here.

If you don't want any rules, just play freeform.

two half orcs can't get married and have kids?

Rules are fine, its when players start maxing out certain stats to use them against other players, or bringing every player-to-player interaction down to a series of skill checks.

In fairness, "The last of his kind" is a pretty compelling fictional trope.

>Parent's killed as a child
NWN2 main charecter

>Insane
Baldur's Gate Xzar

>Specifically states the character is an atheist, usually several times
&
>dude i've got this really cool idea, i'm going to betray the party later on
NWN 2 Bishop

>my character is the son of a god
Baldur's Gate main character

these are just the examples from video games.
It would seem that most red flags stem from a players lack of imagination and the need to feel like the most special of snowflakes

>raped
Either was raped or is a rapist. I've not seen many good characters whose sheets mention rape.