media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

October's UA postponed until the 9th

>Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread : Should Warlock be made an at will caster again? How would you go about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ClmO0QKDOxA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First time i noticed Warlocks was in NWN2 and since them, i always though them to be an OP class (because wizards had limited amount of Magic missiles, but Warlocks have unlimited amount of Eldritch Blasts).

I never properly understand the appeal of the class in 4e. The fluff seemed so niche and, frankly, weird and creepy. It didn't fit into my fantasy about fantasy. (Though to be honest, that's as fault of 4e as much as the class itself.)

In 5e i quite like theit mechanical role.

I don't think i will stop hating the idea of dedicated class to someone who sold his soul. Is selling souls so common? Ugh.

I think it's fine where it is. To make it at will, jist make it so it gets an increasing number of level 1 spell slots that eventually become unlimited and then upgrade to level 2 and 3 at higher levels. Then reframe a lot of their bigger effects as rituals

Random question: Anons, would you play in a campaign that featured making your way through the Underdark to a vaguely Pellucidar-style "inner world" at the planet's core, whose inhabitants include isolationist uber-conservative warforged with lasers, magic-worshipping serpentfolk, a hobgoblin empire that can be described as "the Romans wielding magical bronze", a colony of duergar-drow crossbreeds who exert political influence by controlling the only source of metalwork in the whole inner world, stone-skinned Ogremoch-worshipping goblins who're strong enough to pull down an orc and bite his throat out, and a non-evil race of drow-orc pseudo-Amazons?

Anons? Two simple questions about tieflings & homebrew:

First: is it overpowered to let tieflings switch their size to Small or take the Powerful Build trait?

Second: if I wanted to convert the unique tiefling strains from Pathfinder - oni-blooded, kyton-blooded, etc - would I be better off using the rather clunky tiefling subrace rules, or just making them as entirely new PC races?

They don't literally sell their soul in every case. Sometimes they make a material exchange, other times it's just a favor for a favor in the future, Godfather style. Other times the Warlock is just siphoning power from an unaware patron.

If I wanted to make a Wizard who specialized in using portals and dimension-based magic, what would be the best sub-class to take?

Being small is basically entirely downside unless you're doing mount shenanigans

>shortstack Tiefling isn't an upside

First: It depends on the DM and what mechanics they enforce in the campaign. Most DM's I've played with have completely dropped squeezing through smaller spaces or carrying capacity, making a Small size or Powerful Build almost useless, and the Small size a disadvantage because of the heavy weapons thing.

Second: Just take the Feral variant for an Oni Tiefling. That's what I did.

Conjuration, probably. That's the school of summoning things from places

How the fuck isn't Sanctuary a CHA save?

Yea, yea. That's what THEY want you to believe.

First: Small is OK, after all we probably get Tiefling variants of all race. All just happen to use same stat block, regardless whether the base is elf or human.

Is there any drawback for Powerful build? Just because it seems fair. Frankly, i think even with Powerful build, they'll still be on the weaker side.

Just another word for Railroading

Powerful Build literally has no effect beyond "you have better carrying, dragging, lifting, pulling and pushing capacity than Medium size critters" - it's basically purely fluff, because how often does carrying capacity come up as a meaningful power in a campaign?

>Most DM's I've played with have completely dropped squeezing through smaller spaces or
Why tho

Rules are difficult
Working out how environments more complex than a 5x5 grid with a pit in the middle is difficult

> pit
Sounds complex, what if someone falls?

What's your favorite Wizard subclass and why?

What shenanigans do you enjoy doing outside of combat / during downtime, in general?
Asking in terms of caster, but anything general is nice.

Arcane Archer and Divine Soul Sorcerer confimed guys

>not stone sorcerer

why even bother

Abjuration, personally. I just really like the Arcane Ward's ability to nullify damage towards teammates. I still want to try and build a gish with it.

agreed.

Stone is just another shitty gish meme, I'm happy it isn't on XGE

Hey anons, amateur dm here currently running what I'm hoping will be a long term campaign. One of my players has a backstory that involves him being freed from a group of slaves, and he wants to look for a fabled treasure somewhere on the open sea so he can buy his friends' freedom. What would be an appropriate treasure that could buy 22 slaves while also having enough left over to reward the party for completing their quest? Right now it's a group of 4 level 3 characters and I plan to have this arc going until ~level 8

Seriously. As though Divine Sorcerer is even difficult to throw together with 2 seconds of thought.

>Dragon Sorcerer
>replace element with Radiant
>Add Sacred Flame, Guided Bolt, and Cure Wounds to your spells

Done

it's the only thing sorcerer can do that isn't just a shitty wizard.

That's why the goblin unions pushed for railing to be installed, too bad for the adventurers it's at the goblins height so perfect for tripping.

Is stone sorcery confirmed to not be in XGE? I'll cry

It's not confirmed to be in, they have definitely said we aren't getting it.

That sucks because I was hoping it would so I could tell the shitty Gish homebrewers to fuck off

Every class is getting 2-3 archetypes, except wizard which gets one, so any sorcerer other than stone getting in severely reduce's stone's chances

There are 25 subclasses in XGE

Every class but wizards get at least 2 subclasses

There are 12 classes in the PHP

2 x 12 -1 = 23

Two classes get 3 subclasses, and one of them is the Fighter

Reminder that there is no logical reason the stone sorcerer can't teleport at-will as they can at-will teleport to an ally when someone throws a pebble at them so why not teleport to that wall when you feel like it? What's stopping you?
This sort of design belongs in 4e

I'm sorry you only play in campaigns/make characters where the only relevant feat is GWM.
Oh wait, you don't play at all, because you're just a fucking theorycrafter making up max damage builds.

No, there are over 25. The safe guess is 26, which does kind of improve stone sorc's odds of making it in

>there are over 25
Yes, but some of them are from SCAG, 25 are confirmed to be from the UA

Should Barovians speak with Slavic Dracula movie accents or Pizza Place Italian accents like irl Romanians?

asking for a friend

Whichever y-, I mean your "friend" can do better for a long period of time

Whichever you prefer, friend.

youtu.be/ClmO0QKDOxA

What are the must-have Wizard spells?

Sleep, Shield, Magic Missiles, Wish

He can only bark angrily

Prestidigitation,

Rituals for non-prepared slots
shield
polymorph
magic missile is still pretty okay, but definitely a must for evocation wizards.
Sleep isn't actually any good after the first couple of levels, only seeing occasional utility use.

None. The slaves aren't for sale and it will be three to four levels before the party can free them with force.

PCs don't just trip over thousands of gp just because they want something

Those don't count, it says 25 new subclasses.

Where did the wizard da best at everything!!!1! meme come from

>be any level
>sorcerer does more damage

woah

You sound like a boring faggot of a DM.
>I want to look for the sunken treasures to find my friends!
>No.
>But there are probably all of those lost ships carrying...
>NO.
>But I can search for maps and rumors, and...
>NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Be wizard
>Have more spells known that sorcerer by default
>Can pick up new spells as the campaign progresses

>Be sorcerer
>Sure, you can pick up Knock, or Fly, or Counterspell...
>But it will mean not getting Fireball, not now, not ever.

Being a cleric, I'm superior to both of them, of course, changing my spell list at will every day.

What's been confirmed so far:
Inquisitive (Detective) Rogue
Horizon Walker Ranger
Cavalier Fighter
Circle of Dreams Druid
College of Glamor Bard
Forge Domain Cleric
Samurai Fighter
Shadow Sorcerer
Celestial Warlock
Arcane Archer Fighter

>damage
>implying that matters when you know over double the amount of spells a sorcerer can know, can buy more, and can even prepare more than a sorcerer learns
>sorcerers also have a shitty spell list
But hey, you add your cha modifier to damage so that's totally cool, right?

I've been rereading Name of the Wind and I kind of want to come up with an Alchemist Artificer character similar to a Tinker for an upcoming game. What would be some good feats to go with this style of character? I'm thinking of a Variant Human start.

>Celestial Warlock
I don't know why the very idea makes me so mad, but it does.

well it means if you want to play an evoker you are better off going sorcerer so clearly wizard isn't the best at everything

Sure, the sorcerer is better at hurling damage. Too bad the wizard outclasses it in every other way. Nice class, totally worth making.

I know, right? Warlocks are cancer.

I think the idea is doing cleric-y stuff without having to be bound to a god all the damn time. I can see the appeal.

25 New
25+ total

>every other way

you mean just utility? their intended function?
no fucking shit

I mean, an Evocation Wizard gets some damage benefits, and Arcane Recovery means,that you can spam low-level blasting spells more frequently. It takes a while before Sorcerer cantrips really outpace those.

Scarred Lands literally did a whole mini-fiction piece in one of its books about a guy who sells his soul for magical powers, then uses them to do nothing but good, confesses he just wanted to help people and didn't care if it meant damning himself on his deathbed, only to learn there that his "devil" was actually an angel.

True, he was portrayed as a sorcerer, but this was before the warlock class existed.

>Shadow Sorcerer
I thought this would never see print, finally a sorcerer archetype I care about

Why wouldn't you be able to strike a bargain with a Deva or a Ki Rin for power?

Also the Redemption Paladin has as well been confirmed.
Conquest is heavily hinted towards

>*just* utlility
Fucking lmao. Completely turning the tide of the game is better than adding a +5 to your fireball. If you think that's enough to justify the existence of a class you need to have your head examined.

What do you think the other Warlock subclass will be? Hexblade or Raven Queen? I think the latter was all around better constructed, but Hexblade is pretty much the only way a Bladelock is viable.

I'll admit to not being fond of it either, and I love playing Warlocks. The flavor just seems really weak.

Why would anyone, and I mean anyone, bargain with demons instead

Hey man, Sorcerer is the perfect Adventurer's League character

>High Charisma for role playing
>High damage for fast forwarding through fatalistic battles

Hey, anons? Quick question; since Lamias in D&D have traditionally included Lion, Tiger, Goat, and Deer/Antelope variants, is a Lamia with the lower body of a Hyena completely out of the question?

People on the market for Fireballs

reposting from last thread

Does 10lb, 50/150 range and the Loading property (instead of the obligatory bonus action) for the Thunder Cannon sound okay? I wanted to keep it on par with other weapons of similar type, but still make it a bit better since it's a unique weapon.

>What do you think the other Warlock subclass will be? Hexblade or Raven Queen?
Neither, the other patron will be the Seeker

>better since it's unique
I see wrongthink

yeah, thats the ONLY feature a sorcerer gets to improve damage right?

I also think Seeker, but with Crit Role going around I'll be shocked if Raven Queen doesn't show

Forgot about that one. What's the consensus on it?

Hopefully raven queen, but by a different name along with new blade pact invocations.

as in, the only one of it's type and i'm guessing only buildable/wieldable by the artificer

say, what's stopping an artificer from making more thunder cannons and selling them/giving them to the party

Functional. It's the go to thing for your classic Rogue multiclass

>say, what's stopping an artificer from making more thunder cannons and selling them/giving them to the party
DM approval. The fact that only Artificers are proficient with them means they aren't really attractive to other classes, either.

None of the Patrons are specific deities, and Raven Queen is from 4th edition. Both the Hexblade and the Raven Queen feel like improved pact boons, and received criticism because of it.

>thousands of gp
Nigger, the absolute most any slave would be traded for is 100 gold, and the player's bumbfuck slave friends are sure as fuck not the virgin fuckslaves that would be sold for so much. 10 gold for each of them, tops.

So, playing with the idea of a purple dragon Knight. I know it's the weakest archetype, but I think I have an idea percolating.

Thanks for sharing.

Hexblade as a whole just feels like it's what Pact of the Blade needed to be. Use Charisma for attack and damage, get some invocations that improve it further and make it less terrible compared to Eldritch blast

Theoretically they could teach other party members how to be proficient with them, but that also is subject to DM approval, falls under training rules that by default allow learning new languages/ how to use tools, but can be extended to different things with DM's OK

Hexblade being a good version of a blade pact Warlock isn't a bad thing. Hexblades don't even need pact of the blade to be better than an actual bladelock

You shouldn't have to play a specific Patron (with weak flavor imo) to play a bladelock

What prestige classes from past editions would you like to see in 5e in some form?

Who the hell are you and why do you keep spamming this one every thread?

Warshaper

is there a reason to care about SCAG archetypes getting reprinted outside of Adventurer's League ONE BOOK autism?

Half-elf maybe originally from Athas, known only subjugation all her life.

16/12/14/8/10/16. Take +2 STR at 4, inspiring leader at 6, then one level of bard for inspiration and healing spells. Later take maybe charger. Uses a halberd with her banner just below the head on the shaft.
Maybe switch dex and Wis.

I mean I'm just looking over spells for potential characters and I can't help but notice that not only does wizard get the best spells they also get most of the other spellcasters' spells too.

Cancer mage

If you don't own SCAG it's a pretty good deal to buy XGE

Shadowdancer.