Reprint of Masks of Nyarlathotep

chaosium.com/masks

Well, I'm unironically excited. If it keeps up the same level of organization then this'll be worth picking up just for that.

Other urls found in this thread:

site.pelgranepress.com/trail/files/conversions/TOC_Masksconversion_updated.pdf
site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/free-downloads-and-resources-for-trail-of-cthulhu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have some experience with CoC but never played this campaign. Is it fun? Can I get a tl;dr?

My question is whether 7e is worth buying or not.

It is considered to be one of the greatest adventure modules ever written.

7e isn't bad at all.

I believe you, but it would give me more confidence if you could support that claim. Whats it like and what do you do? I'm looking to run CoC 6th edition for some pals and I'm on the fence about what module to run. Pretty sure no one would be invested in a dreamlands adventure like I am.

7th ed is very good. The rules a almost exactly the same but there's a tool box of optional rules to tune the game to the tone you want.

Would this adventure work with Trail of Cthulhu?

on this train, I've been looking at running masks, does anyone have the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion that chaosium did, that they can share?

Seconding this

HYPE AS FUUUCK

It's good. Core rules are the same as the previous editions, some parts have been streamlined a bit but I don't feel that compromises the experience. I liked it.

>>worth buying or not?

Meh. The changes to the rules are ok but most seem rather unnecessary--overall, my group and others I know were not really blown away by any of them.

As a physical and graphic object it's over-designed and over-produced--busy full-color, full-bleed, etc.--and therefore the price is maybe iffy? Call it the Kickstarter Effect?

(Pulp Cthulhu is a nifty presentation of the genre and has some nice tweaks to the rules that allow them to be used for a wider range of games. Still over-produced though.)

A 5.x edition book is fine rules-wise and tool-at-the-table-wise.

>meta-currency
u g h

Of course. Pelgrane even does the conversion work for you.
site.pelgranepress.com/trail/files/conversions/TOC_Masksconversion_updated.pdf

Look in the share thread (see the archive if it's gone. Don't forget to search through the OP pdfs). Not the final product, but still fine.

>does anyone have the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion that chaosium did

that wasnt by chaosium

What's the metacurrency in CoC 7E?

That's fucking rad. Time to give Chaosium my money.

Why not pick up an old copy if you're translating it anyway? The price tag will be much lower.

I'm thrilled. I've been looking at running this forever but kept running into (self-induced) hurdles like wanting to have all the 7e stats ready, wanting more reference photos and maps for stuff that didn't have maps, wanting to incorporate the intro from the companion (still planning on using both intro chapters). I'm really hoping this delivers lots more in art assets

Rules are very good and the core books are essential to running the game competently (as opposed to the quick start), but come on are any RPG books worth buying? Just download the pdf

>conversion.pdf
How did I not know about this
Thanks

I should have given you the source.
site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/free-downloads-and-resources-for-trail-of-cthulhu/

More resources should you need them and more conversions if you are planning to run any other classic scenarios. Lots of links!
Hope this helps.

I'll wait until I hear if they've added anything new to make it worthwhile.

>Well, I'm unironically excited.

Why can't you just be "excited." What the fuck does Irony have to do with your enjoyment of a product?

You have a daily spending limit based on your assets and cash on hand, which are based on your credit rating. Credit rating is a characteristic you can roll against for NPCs to trust/listen to you.

If you spend less than your limit, your cash on hand isn't affected at all. If you spend more, ALL of your day's spending is taken out of cash. So that stuff you bought earlier that you thought was free is now costing you because you needed something else.

If you need more cash, you take it out of assets. During investigator development, you reroll your CR if you fall out of your asset bracket.

Basically all of this meta shit is based on whether you look like you have a lot of money to strangers. They tried to make it so you don't have to worry about minutia but then gave us a very upkeep-focused system that encourages metagaming because players are afraid to see numbers go down

BTW I love 7e but this stuff is weak and I don't worry about it with my players

How long is this module?

Page length or average number of sessions or what?

Number of sessions, I've been wanting to run a CoC campaign for a while, and I've been seeing good stuff about this one.

Right now in my 'to listen' actual play folder there are three campaigns of MoN. One is 51 sessions of ~1h each, the second is 28 of 3h each and the last 20 sessions of ~3h each (The Gaming Grunts, RPPR Community and RPPR for the interested). So I guess it can vary greatly- maybe the first rushed it or the last did a lot of investigating/pissing about. I suppose that's not too helpful, maybe someone here has practical experience. I know it's an investment though, you'll be playing it for maybe 6-12 months probably if you want my ballpark guess.

It's basically world spanning adventure to avenge a friends death, find a missing expedition to Kenya and foil a big plan elaborated by various sects devoted to different masks of Nyarly acting as one.

I'd play Dreamlands. I love the Dreamlands, anything related to dreams is always awesome to me. :(
Have you looked at The Sense of the Slight of Hand Man, a Dreamlands-focused campaign (or is that the one you wanted to run?).

Yeah, that helps. Cheers.