40krpg general

The Swarm conquers all Edition.

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.2) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/25l7bq3xcqczm81

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.7) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/bkh1982f96mzs9v

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

What's your favorite enemy type for your players to face? What's your favorite type to fight as a PC?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Republican_Commando
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nercons to ran against my PC. Chaos alway fun to fight as a PC

>What's your favorite enemy type for your players to face? What's your favorite type to fight as a PC?

In DH Hive Gangers, in RT Eldar or Spooky Xenos-Warpy Shit like the Yu-Vath, in DW Orks/Nids, in OW Orks/Nids

Question for you dudes, recommendations for thematic music for Rogue Trader?

I go with Stellaris soundtrack. But it also depends on how action pack your Rogue Trader game going to be.

Would that cover both or would you suggest something else for more action-y moments?

I would stick with Stellaris personally but depending on the battle I want to set for my PC I just search Youtube for Space Combat music. Also, I use Rama Soundtrack for exploring alien worlds

I like stellaris. There are also some additional tracks from the DLC for stellaris you can find on YouTube that are pretty good.

For combat I like a mix, but generally battlefleet gothic/generic space fighting music for space, dawn of war/other as appropriate for ground.

For horror/running away I personally like to use the Darkest Dungeon soundtrack.

My players in Rogue Trader just woke up some Necrons while looting without really knowing what they did in character (since the game takes place before Necrons are well known in the Imperium). They then crit-failed while attempting to study the tesseract they stole and wrecked their newly installed best quality lab while almost releasing the C'Tan Shard. Freaked out by this, they decided to turn over some of the tech they found to the local radical Inquisitor - while still keeping the tesseract itself and the best stuff they stole secret.

How things evolve from here shall be... interesting, to say the least.

What would you do if they shoot the tesseract into the sun? I mean that what I do

Can't tell if psychic mind control or just sheer terror.

Let's just say they wouldn't want to come back to that star system ever again.

Bump

bumping with homebrew
On the topic of the new RPG, what has Ulisses published beside the Black Eye ?

i am running a game with a really fucking high mortality. Like really high. 4+ deaths per game is usual. (We have a large stack of 7 players) Roleplaying part is very weak, only characters who survive a couple of fights get any character development. It's more of an unforgiving grimdark combat simulator.

I have made a lot small gimmicks to make this type of gameplay less frustrating. Players have premade roasters to have a quick replacement for the dead characters, character creating is really fast simplified and i have made guidelines to make it last for 5-15 minutes.

But we still have one problem. When a character dies in a fight he can't get an instant replacement. So the player have to be bored untill the end of the fight / the arrival of reinforcements.
I think i don't have to say why is this bad.

So i came up with a «Will of the Emperor» homerule to fix this. Every time someone dies he can still influence the battlefield on his turn using special abilities, that will look just like luck in the gameterms. Like a jammed weapon on the enemy, delay on the grenade explosion. etc.
I guess that simple buffs should be avoided, since it will lead to «I will just use this ability on him for the rest of the game» behavior. And we don't want that.
I think it would be nice if there will be 9 of them, one for WS, one for ST¸ etc.

What are some interesting abilities like that that you can think of?

If only war : Make him play a comrade
If not : why aren't you using only war?

We actually do this, but the comrades die too. It's not rare

Are 5-15 min fights where all the comrades + 1-2 characters die that common and that boring for the player who died ?
Make comrades take criticals instead of dying directly when they're already wounded.
Or ignore death results for PC and make them become less and less efficient, with the criticals adding up until they can star in Metallica's One. Fluff that as adrenaline rush in battle. They die of shock when the fight ends.

This is a combat-oriented game. Such fights are not common. They are the game itself. Fights also take more than 5-15 minutes because there are 7 people playing. That's as much as 14 characters with comrades. We have a 5-second-turn-rule, but it is still a lot.
Such deaths is not something that spoils the game, but it is still a rough edge that i believe can be softened.

Ignoring deaths will go against the idea of the game. The game is the based on the idea that the player characters are not special. Just a regular guardsmen who got unlucky. We have fatepoints completely removed and everyone can die just from unlucky shot. Players are just trying to survive in a dire situations when their commissars are throwing them on barricades. No implied heroism. We even had deserters

It's a story about regular people who have to be heroes but don't want to.
A lot of interesting situations are born in this type of gameplay

I want to make random tables.
Give me subjects, anons, and I shall deliver.

Rouge adeptus mechanicus tech

How do you guys RP tech priests: like humorless vulkans, murderous flesh-loathers, or snarky, egotistical technicians?

My player RP-s him as a quiet tech nerd
— b-but flesh is weak!

Though he recently got a lot of corruption and now he tries to capture enemies alive to turn them into servitors, burning their eyes in the process. «They are not worthy of seeing the true power of Omnissiah»

Why hasn't this been sauced in imgur?

How accurate is warhammer bible right now?

All that and more.

not very accurate after 8e

Anything your characters have done that they regret? Duty over conscience?

Not a Tuesday has gone by without some new sort of war crime being performed.

not fragging his radical inquisitor who went full heretic shortly after conclusion of the campaign.

There's no such thing as 'war crimes' in 40k. There is only heresy in need of purging by faith and fire.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

I play Admech like IT, except that there is absolutely no need or incentive to educate or coddle the user, and Tier 3+ can censure or servitorize the real shitters. For some reason, this results in the party resenting techpriests...

cant find uncens, why even live

Well, when you toss phosphex like candy and taint biospheres, and then become complicit in the deaths of thousands of Imperial citizens in order to motivate thousands more, I guess some people start to take a second glance. For the record, it was not me but my players who said "We're committing more war crimes than Spec Ops The Line." And they're not even completed "basic training" yet.

How LOYAL is your character to the Emperor and Imperium?

A daemon weapon begged to be let go of his grasp

>complicit in the deaths of thousands of Imperial citizens in order to motivate thousands more
Meatbags are obscenely plentiful and always, always replaceable in the grimdark future, so nothing heretical there, so long as the Emperor's fury was delivered unto His enemies.

>toss phosphex like candy and taint biospheres
>taint biospheres
This is where one starts to stray into heresy. The God Emperor did not launch a crusade in order to rule over a tainted empire of ash. His worlds are sacred and far too few, and so can only be sacrificed in the direst of situations. Every Imperial or potential Imperial world tainted is a near-unforgivable act unless it were deemed forever lost to His light or its sacrifice found necessary to further His will.

Please properly educate your players on their sacred duties and obligations lest they stray from His light and fall to vile heresy.

A couple thousand civilians in a cargo hold were used to lure most of the orks on a ship to a central location, and then detached it to blow it up. The players were then given a choice by the "CO" to either tell the ones who were fighting the orks did it, to motivate the survivors to fight. Or, they could tell the survivors the truth and assuage their conscience while causing a morale loss spiral. Two of the players were vehemently against the plan, and horrified at it, disgusted at the "CO," while the last accepted that it was the best available plan. It was great. And the phosphex probably isn't going to stop any time soon, since their main "CO" happens to be a huge fan of the stuff, and he lacks both phosphex control and volume control, though the third "CO" is trying her best to limit the destruction.

Environmental destruction, mass loss of civilian life, child soldiers, weapons of mass destruction, sometimes my game feels like a Metal Gear Solid laundry list, and I'm only a couple sessions in.

>The God Emperor did not launch a crusade in order to rule over a tainted empire of ash.

But it was still an option. Destroyer squads did exist. Their "CO's" preference for phosphex straddles between horrific experience and hilarious joke.

>phospex is a thing
>destroyers are a thing
My body is ready for when I am eligible to get that as signature wargear.

I'm telling you.

Phosphex. Auto. Mortar.

using phosphex makes you a bad person

No it doesn't.

Why have so many conversations devolved into who shoots more phosphex recently

bump

Son, when there are 40-foot tall xenos dinosaurs or an Orkish horde coming for you, no one thinks about what makes you a "bad person"; and those civilian's lives, while tragic, probably saved lives. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

and this is why I have the Jaded talent now.

How much railroading is too much railroading when everyone is new to P&P RPGs?

How new are we talking? Unfamiliar with the concept of RPGs? Unfamiliar with P&P RPGs? Unfamiliar with the mechanics of this RPGs?

Tips on running Old Soldiers in Only War?

So new that they thought I was inviting them to a board game.

about 70 percent railroading to 30 percent character action

Much handholding may be required then.

A friend suggested I give them all bomb collars (Dark Heresy) since at least one of them has said he aims to be a problem player and some of the others haven't said they have a problem with it. If he's too much of a jackass their overseer will give the surviving PCs detonator's to his PC's bomb collar at the end of the session.
There's a chance the group might demand Rogue Trader since I made the mistake of making that game an option. If they go that way I can't see any way to have a dickass thief aboard the ship that would make since.

can someone please sauce this

My sergeant regrets looking out of the hatch and into a heavy bolter

1-10 how ridiculous is ending a Dark Heresy mission involving a cult of Slaanesh with what is essentially an homage to The Devil Went Down to Georgia?

8. But that's where the fun is sometimes

Then a band of daemonettes joined in, and it sounded something like this!

>Noise Marine Sounds

>The winner gets a golden, twinlinked power fiddle

And if you win you get this shiny bolter made of gold.
But if you lose, the daemon gets your soul.

Sunless Sea soundtrack

I'm looking though the daemon engine creation rules in tomb of decay and is it just me or do player made daemon engines look bizarrely weak?
A daemon engine made from a leman russ would have 50 Toughness, 40 wounds, and Machine (8), with a variable amount of Daemon Engine compared to a base russ with 40/32/20 armor and 55 hull integrity.

It's called balance. If Daemon engine creation was an obvious solution, why do anything else? Player characters are therefore prevented from making the good daemon engines that thousand year old magi dedicate their lives to.

Wouldnt bother to just take what you want from there, ignore the worst parts. Tome of Decay, like most BC stuff, was poorly worked on and thrown out the door.

Do you run online RPGs cause I wanna play dat

Does your character have a sidearm? If so, how often do they have to use it?

>tomb of decay
>tomb

So for the Deathwatch free RPG day they had the mission Final Sanction. There is no map for Lordsholm on Avalos for the PDF. Which is a little tricky as it is very big on hitting objectives in various areas of the city.

Some gents made some very fine maps for the mission however most of them are no longer available. I was able to find one of my favorites (though a little inaccurate but what imperial map is?) on obsidian portal as a viewable in google image nonsense window. I had to capture sections of the map and stitch them together in gimp to make a printable version. I hope someone else gets some use out of this.

Changed to DH2, the influence mechanics works rather well for RT, but for DH it feels supper wrong.
Something is not right about it when doing investigation work, it adds more busy work to the GM when the PC need to get something minor like ammo or a second autopistol.
It also doesn't help when PC have it on 30 or lower.

Am I missing something with the mechanic or I just have an issue to making it work in an investigation setting?

It means you need to make it work for the situation.
People tend to have problems when they can't take mechanics like that and convert them into the idea of money, it seems.
First off, yes, the players do have local currency, influence covers that. If they come into a excess amount, they would get bonuses on influence checks. If the world is fairly militarized or has a successful black market, there would be massive bonuses to finding something ubiquitous as ammo.
What influence is to you as a GM means that you need to use your own judgment on what the situation is. Do they know the person they are buying from? Have they tried to schmooze them? Offer items in trade or shown they are a steady customer, or at least, get vouched by someone with authority?
No, money does not get you everything, but the D&D mindset has a lot of people thinking it does. Encourage the players to step out of the mindset that money is all that is needed, and be mindful of your own tendency of cleaving too hard to the rules and cockblocking the players.
If they are looking for something simple, and you are just giving it to them based on local availability (for some reason) and they fail their influence check, something as simple as "Look, I don't have that right now, but a chap I know ought to be able to help you out. You take this satchel to him, give'em this note, he'll help you out, and you'll have paid me. Square?".

It is more a case of adding busy work for the sake of adding it.

The influence system works like a half ass mechanic of the "use library" from Call of Cthulhu skill.

Hell games like the old 7th Sea had money but it never had the "D&D mindset" issue you mention it was there as an option since a lot of "skills and talents" the characters could have worked like a more functional influence mechanic with better guidelines for each situation.

The way I see it, when you play Dark Heresy there's only really two systems you need to follow. d100-roll under and d10 for damage in combat. I don't dislike Influence as a mechanic as it's rather streamlined, but it's poorly thought out and implemented. A few paragraphs of text and some half-assed modifiers aren't going to stop "but I can't afford to buy any ammo!" that is a staple of posting in this thread for the past few years.

thanks!

Does anyone have a "Scummy" techpriest art? I'm rolling a Volg-Hive techpriest so want him to basically be a weaslely scavanger twat with a heavily slang accent but every character art of techpriest shows them often decked out in several high level bionics and mechandrites and usually wearing pristine robes and the like looking like AdMechs finest.

For lack of a better way to describe it, Junkrat from Overwatch with a dirty Admech robe thrown over the top.

Mutants are an old standby for me. It's a go-to choice when you need a random ambush on a civilized world.
You send a cult or genestealers after the party, it's a national emergency. You send mutants, it's tuesday.

Hoo boy.
Had my players on a new world to check out an item they got. The tech was a little beyond the Mechanicus, so I said the tech had developed in a new direction on that world, described the iconography as a little different than vanilla AdMech. Maybe they found some xenos tech and it changed their views a little, I don't know, I was making it up on the spot.
Our lore-heavy Astropath player freaks out and denounces them all as tech-heretics, goes outside and broadcasts "heresy" on all frequencies. ALL frequencies, he describes sending the message to "anyone who can hear it".
Ten minutes later he gets arrested by the planet's arbites. His exact words were "wait, they have astropaths on this planet?"
Fifteen minutes later he gets a message back from a nearby world going "thanks for the heads up, we'll be heading over shortly to claim the planet for the blood god"

But the player is in the right. All tech is standardized due to STCs. Patterns may differ but the base is still recognizable. Innovation is claiming you can do better than the Omnissiah, which is heresy. He WAS retarded for not handling it subtly, but if chaos is coming, then the setting's antibodies against change will solve the issue soon enough.

I think he is running one, but the slots filled up as soon as he announced it.

Closest I've got.

Related note, I'm making a forge world that went feral millenia ago and all the locals are devout to the Omnissiah, but their rituals and rites have all been lost or twisted.
The medicine man wears a backpack of rebar welded together to look like mechadendrites. Their warriors are "Skitters", locals given poor-quality cybernetics that tend to make them twitch.
What are some good ways a bunch of tribespeople could venerate the omnissiah?

It was much more about the broadcasting on all frequencies. Rogue Traders operate in a gray area, they should evaluate the risks of declaring heresy before they do so.

Aww

There's an archived list of his previous games he's storytimed on here before, here's a link to his last campaign ( 1d4chan.org/wiki/Republican_Commando ). He often uses them to try out homebrew stuff he's working on; The Good, The Bad, and The Alpha Legion in this example.

For this game(which is approx. 6 weeks running) He had an open call and then randomly selected entrants from among those. I think there was around 8 total entrants. Of which I was one, and I'm excited for the beginning of our stealth mission tomorrow. I imagine the MGS references will be numerous

Inquisitor's Handbook had something called a Reclamaitor, which sound exactly like that

bump

How big should the Severan Dominate's fleet be? I'm running a RT game where the RT found a map to a lost forgeworld near the Severan Dominate and I was curious as to how large the Dominate's subsector fleet should be since a forgeworld would represent a major asset to the Dominate.

I was thinking it would be around 10 cruisers and 4 battle cruisers/ grand cruisers, with some of the ships belonging to Severus' dynasty in the past and a few renegade ships from factions like the Meritech.

Sometimes you find yourself in those bad situations.
Alone, wounded, horribly outnumbered, foes both monstrous and merciless.
You could tuck tail and run, flee into the welcoming dark, pray that someone else arrives to do your duty, to rescue you.
You know there isn't, there is no help coming, no comrades spirited from skies, no one except your blade to save you.
What you do know is that your brothers and sisters need you, to run is to consign them to assured death, that the only one that can make a difference in the lonely, burning hellscape you are in is yourself alone.
And so you go. So I go.
To survive.
To connect.
To die a ruthless death is life.
Fly, soar high!
Dive, burn out!
Before the star's domination!
Before you are dragged down!
Don't lose your wings even if you are turned to ash!
Even if what is left is torture!
Even if the world conspires against you!
The Lord has called to bloodsoaked service, and not even their False God's will protect them from me!
This hellscape will be my charnel house, and there will be no lack!
So throw the world at me, you bastard. You have tried to kill me a dozen times over, and a dozen times, I prevailed. You can burn me, cut me, stab me, warp my bones to the marrow, shatter my flesh, but my soul shines unblemised!
Hundreds of blood flowers will bloom upon my path to the Emperor's side.

...should i be trying to put that to a beat?

Go ahead.

No, like, I'm really hoping there's some kind of music or something already set to this, otherwise it's shitty beat poetry.

Google "Don't lose your wings even if you are turned to ash!"

Uh, okay?

Your google is shit!
SHIT!

whats the bump limit here on Veeky Forums?

Hey gents, I have a question about Fear and the interaction it has with Snap Out of It.

It states ".....he can make a Willpower Test in his next Turn. If successful, he regains his senses, shrugs off the effects, and may act normally. If he fails, the effect continues and the character may try again when it is his next Turn."
The part I'm curious about is the whole
> If successful, he regains his senses, shrugs off the effects, and may act normally.
Does this part refer solely to the Shock Effects or does it also apply to the Fear as well?

The effect since Fear is the cause of it.

So then what happens to the Fear effect? Do you keep testing for Fear after you Snap Out of It until you pass the Fear test?

Seems kinda crazy, for instance, daemons have decent fear on top of daemonic presence giving a penalty to willpower tests.