/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

Dread Bones Edition Also I've never made a general before edition

>Resources for Worldbuilding: pastebin.com/yH1UyNmN

>Thread Questions:
> How are undead created in your setting? Are they intelligent?
> Do undead create societies? What are they like? Who leads them?
> Who is spoopiest/most influential undead (or necromancer or similarly dark arts-inclined individual if your undead are dumb) in your setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

1zoom.me/en/wallpaper/436545/z1884.8/1680x1050
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bumperino

>How are undead created in your setting? Are they intelligent?
Undead are created by Vitomancy, the art of life, powered by Vitario. However, due to the need to hide his moves from his sister, the goddess of death, so not to draw attention to the upsetting of the balance, Vitario does not act directly, instead working through his minions. Since he does not act directly, the spreading of his teachings is incomplete, leading to on partial recovery in those raised. Many of the damaged remains raised lead to mindless husks used for their masters' biddings.

Due to the need to work in secret, there is no open groups, just secret cabals or sects. The largest so far has been the power behind the recent rise of resistance forces against the Goblin enslavement by the Elves. A few escaped slaves have turned to Vitario's acolytes for help, learning the teachings of Vitomancy and using their slain loved ones as fuel for their revolt, raising forces of Goblin zombies and ghouls to fight back.

> Who is spoopiest/most influential undead (or necromancer or similarly dark arts-inclined individual if your undead are dumb) in your setting?
The most influential are the Lich Priests of Vitario, his immortal followers, taught the ways of his magic at the dawn of time. These ancient beings now wander the world, spreading his teachings and doing his bidding. They are shunned by most societies, due to their appearance. Leathery, cancer-ridden, misshapen creatures, they hide under robes and masks, traveling in shadows.

undead are anchored to their dead bodies by dark magic. their intelligence depends on how much magic was poured into their creation, how damaged their body is and how much will they have.

yes they do. there is a faraway region that was cursed by a powerful dragon and the most powerful undead that have spawned from his curse have seized control over the region and created their own nations. some are completely undead, others are undead + humans.
and the humans have it quite good there desu. they are ruled over by a vampire lord, they pay taxes with blood and are not occupied with work since there are many restless undead doing all the manual labor. at death they are expected to join the undead. the humans are also motivated to fight their enemies more because their ancestors (now undead) are with them.

i dont have my stuff fleshed out so at the moment the most influential undead would be The Dragon™. he was a dragon necromancer who was just doing his dragon necromancer things until heroes attacked him and he cursed the land in his dying breath, turned the heroes into undead and bound them to his will

pic sous

1zoom.me/en/wallpaper/436545/z1884.8/1680x1050

google image search 'undead skeleton'

Should science-fantasy have internal explanations for technology and phenomena like sci-fi usually does, or should it just run on 'here is a cool thing' logic?

I'm thinking of running an anime-themed Pathfinder campaign soon and I'm a bit stuck on what I should do for the setting. Any anons have ideas for what sort of general feel or theme I should go for?

If you're running on presumably a fantasy setting, then it'd either be pseudo-Japan or just regular European fantasy but more over the top.

I was thinking just a regular European fantasy setting (complete with large empires, smaller kingdoms and city-states, as well as at least one coastal trade federation) with the regular fantasy races, some magic, and roaming monster wild life that countries have to hire adventurers to kill. What sorta thing should do if its more over the top you think?

Sauce, And does it have a happy ending?

It's from Katanagatari.

Do people really read these threads

Also OPs post reminded me of an idea; What about a setting with only one kind of undead? Aside from maybe ghosts, there is only one type of undead. Vampires, zombies, liches, they don't exist. It's only ghouls- those who ate living flesh to become more dead, or resurrected corpses who feed on human flesh. They're all intelligent enough to speak, but single minded, they have super strength and the power to stun and paralyze others with fear that grows as they age and feed, and absorb life force through their attacks or just by opening their life and swallowing your energy at range. They are scared of fire, holy symbols, and take more damage from silver, burned by sunlight, and can be staked in the heart to kill them. Basically a combination undead of all the others so there doesn't need to be a silly amount running about.

>> How are undead created in your setting? Are they intelligent?
Like most strange phenomena in my setting, its the influence of a rejected godling, and Atropal that lies sealed in a prison in the planet's crust, hidden away by the gods to keep their rule secure. Most people will rise as a corpse if not properly buried, and wander the countryside.
Most Undead are mindless, as the Atropal reviving them is in a deep slumber; if it were to ever awaken, the Undead would have the intelligence of its previous life, but be bound to the will of the reject god.
>> Do undead create societies? What are they like? Who leads them?
The Undead do not form societies in and of themselves, as they lack the intelligence to form anything too complex.
There are societies built around the idea of undeath, by the living who worship the Reject God, or that worship those deities that view undeath as a more natural thing.
>> Who is spoopiest/most influential undead (or necromancer or similarly dark arts-inclined individual if your undead are dumb) in your setting?
That depends entirely on your view of the undead. In the river-kingdoms undeath can be a beautiful thing if the person brought back is properly embalmed and treated by the priesthood, led by the Vizier of Death. This person is the scariest practitioner of undeath to the more conservative, undead-fearing nations to the north as any conflict with the River kingdom normally results in their undead legions being let loose in their lands.
Otherwise there hasn't been an antagonizing force behind the undead, most people don't know about the Atropal living beneath the southern continent.

That depends on your particular tastes, although I am quite the fan of how its handled in old DnD modules and some fantasy stories; basically you get a description of what a particular piece looks like, and what it does, but no idea how it does it. But that only works if you're playing barbarians.

So how do I make a setting if I already have some vague ideas? Do I sit down and write a source book listing things like history, places, factions and so on or is there something I'm missing?

Instead of halflings, my setting has a race of rabbitfolk, and I'm tempted to call them Bunnitaurs as Minotaurs are a major race, but I'm worried Bunnitaur sounds retarded. What should I do?

Reposting from a dead thread. Just wanted to run my "races" of humans by you guys and see if there's any suggestions or constructive criticisms.

Pygmies: The subversion of Dwarves. 5 ft average height. Very African/Pacific Islander themed. Highly martial, daily life of full of tribal conflict dating back since their genesis. Among warriors, shaving or cutting one's hair is considered a grave sin, and only done when one has committed a great shame. Traditionally kept in dreadlocks and held back so as to not get in the way of combat. I've considered whether the warriors add red to their hair, or if they all are red haired africanoids. Make almost bullet-proof alabaster porcelain armor (pic related). Because of such incredible armor, they have militarily adapted and now mostly use war-hammers to attack the person beneath the armor. Xenophobic, but valued as the best mercenaries. Attitudes toward the Imperial people (working name) are severe dislike due to their violent conquering of the continent. Attitudes for the Southerners are dislike for their blasphemous use of magic (which is more of a spiritual thing for the Pygmies).

Continued.

Southerners: The subversion of Elves. 6ft 4 in average height for men, 5ft 10in for women. Pale skin, blue to green eyes, varied hair color. Slight point to ears. Naming customs are a single name, followed by a tile determined by a prophetic vision by a seer at a young age (for example Balin Early-Beard may reach adulthood earlier). They used to rule the majority of the continent, including all the Imperial lands, and small parts of the North. Their magi-tech empire was considered the grandest, and is still romanticized. The language of the Imperial people is based on theirs, and Grimoires are still written in their language. However their empire collapsed. Some believe it was due to their hedonistic ways, and some believe it was divine punishment, but most scholars agree that it was nothing so lofty if still somewhat mysterious. many ruins and ancient technologies are still in use to this day.

They have two major ethnic groups. The mainlanders are more Nordic/Celtic. They are considered barbarians, living in drug addled squalor in turf huts. Many people still practice magic, living in hidden cabins nestled away in the forests, or in giant tree or mushroom towers grown from a sapling using magic. Considering maybe making smaller, more pleasant and French themed "Halflings" that are largely peaceful and happy agrarian types.

Continued.

Continued about the Southerners.

The Islanders (Once again, working name.) are a stranger bunch. They refuse to believe that their empire has ended, and is merely dormant. They're aesthetically more like the British isles,although share some similarities with Japan in terms of structure and role. Towards the collapse of their empire, the Isles were sealed off in a great fog, that anyone trying to navigate would find they sailed through. Few diplomats and traders that are allowed in the ports note that it is beautiful and full of shimmering towers with surprisingly modern amenities. The truth of the matter is they send their poor, undesirables, and disgraced out as adventurers, seeking out mystical secrets, developments in technology, and news of the outside world for their wizard lords in exchange for social mobility.

While magic is more subtle in this world (only a very high level wizard would be able to attack with flames or conjure demons), magic comes very naturally to the Southerners and is used in all aspects of life. Farmers might know one or two charms that stop their crops from dying, and warriors/adventurers often cover themselves in woad to preform protective sigils to aid them.

Continued.

Just list your vague ideas, think of how you can fit them together, and go on from there.

Finally the "Imperial people". Lightly Tanned to Dark Olive complexion. Light to Dark brown almond shaped eyes. Brown to black, wavy to straight hair. Average height is 5ft 6in for men, 5 ft 8in for women. Chinese/Middle Eastern, Roman undertones.

A keen and intelligent people, machinery come naturally for them. Most modern amenities such as airships, florescent lighting, radio, advanced sanitation, repeating crossbows, and modern medicinal/alchemical practices are either their invention or an improvement on ancient South technology. Their language is spoken almost universally, and the vast majority are literate due to the wide presence of their guilds across the continent.

Archery is considered to be one of the most fundamental arts, with many philosophers also being archery trainers. It something enjoyed by both the rich and the poor, with various kinds of bows widely available. Their skill and mechanization of artillery, combined with amazing strategic minds is the reason they are the most dominant military, and unified the entire continent.

The other reason they achieved manifest destiny, as well as how they became powerful enough for such conquest was through trade. The empire was between the Southerners and the Pygmies, and not only was the trade route between the two, but also sold to them their products independently. Until the Pygmies became isolationistic, and won over with superior military force, the continent was already unofficially theirs.

They are matriarchal and matronymic. They are ruled over by a hereditary Empress (or Emperor if need be). Men typically make up the vast majority of the military as with all societies, but most professions are fairly equally distributed. The reason for this probably stemmed from the value of women (10 women/1 man is better than 10 men/1 women) taken to great extremes during military conflict. This thick skulled efficiency is shown in how their cities never sleep and shops never close.

This is it in broad strokes. I was thinking of adding more subethnic groups for more diversity. I was also planning on placing the game on a newly found land similar to Australia or the Americas, with perhaps an indigenous race of Goblins.

Any thoughts, ideas, or constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

But once i fit them together then what?

That depends. Did you like Star War or Star Trek better?

Add on whatever else seems like it would mesh with whatever you've got so far. There isn't a set formula for worldbuilding, just write down what you've got until you've got something worth having.

Only Star Trek things I've watched are the movies and Axanar, and I'm overall meh to Star Wars.

Alright

Depends on the needs of the setting.

I would generally lean towards basic technology (FTL, force fields, phasers) being explained in detail on the function end, and more weird or one-off tech being handwaved. Don't waste time explaining Gambli particles unless they do something important, though.

Need a name for this race. Here's the description:

Grotesque, giant, and unique in each individual’s shape, members of this race are a ferocious, monstrous people, nigh-unkillable for those who do not know their secrets. A member of this race can survive having limbs cut off with barely even a reaction, and they are extremely strong, flexible, and large. Even the humanlike form most members of this race take is but an illusion, to be abandoned if circumstances deem it necessary, its torso and limbs untwining into a vast mass of tendrils.

If a member of this race is decapitated, its head will, sooner or later, sprout many small legs and scurry away - if the flesh is stripped, what appears to be a large rock is revealed to be the creature’s skull. Those unfamiliar with the beast may assume that it is dead, but in truth, in such condition a member of this race is not even genuinely injured. Once left unattended, the rock unfurls into a flat, skittering beast similar to a crab or manta ray and escapes, to hunt down prey and begin forming itself a new body.

Members of this race are rare, hideously strong, and almost entirely solitary. They can speak, but do so in guttural voices, and manage only simple (often grammatically incorrect) sentences: “me kill you,” “me happy now,” “me want food,” “you go away,” and so forth. This should not be mistaken for stupidity, however, as they are capable of being brutally cunning. They have a standoffish relationship with humans, sometimes positive or negative depending on the precise character of the individual in question. While some animals may try to prey upon a member of this race’s thick, cordlike body, nothing is a genuine predator of these bestial people.

You dredge a demon from the abyss and have it inhabit the body. They are as intelligent as any other being.

Yes, they do create societies. The society is very... arcane and odd. As of late built around mortal study because this plane is extremely new to them. One of the nine kings or queens of the abyss.

>Who is spoopiest/most influential undead in your setting?
Distis, an abyssal who inhabited the body of the first necromancer. He's completely anemic to life and hates life for hating him when in reality life doesnt hate him just... can't be near him. Did I mention the first "necromancer" was a great dragon trying to cheat death? Stupid dragon you signed the wrong deal.

What's a good name for a small, seabird-like race? I'm leaning towards something that sounds like Aeolus, the wind-guy from the Odyssey.

That's a good name.

Aeoli? Aeolian? Aeol?

Is there a way to do urban fantasy without 'muh hidden world'

Shadowrun. Or movie Hellboy.

I like it user, seems pretty balanced and it's interesting

There is literally nothing wrong with 'hidden world teen drama' fantasy.

>> How are undead created in your setting?
The wife of the god of dead steals the souls of the dead in his realm and puts them back on their barely functional bodies. They often argue about this.

keep a safe distance from Aioli

Aeolids?

I want to index my nations, what are the important things to list?
>Population size
>Land size
>Military power
>Economic power
>Cities
>Factions
What else is need to know at a glance?

Religion, language, ressources, technological garde.

That's pretty good, I might have to omit religion until I actually put some religion into the setting.

>Or movie Hellboy
Movie Hellboy is just hidden world though. Comic Hellboy is a revealed world.

Thank you!

Undead are made from residual life energy that is in blood. As such they tend to form in battlefields or at the sites of murders. Most undead exist as a congealed mass of life energy that desires more and more to grow in power and to gain a coherent form. Most are unintelligent and work solely on instinct or memories, and are more of a force of nature than anything else but the oldest and most powerful are sentient and extremely dangerous.

They don't create societies and have no real leader. Bloodmages can raise the undead as thralls if they know the proper spells, but between the purges of mages and the burning of texts not many know how to do it these days.

The spoopiest undead is called the Shimmering Host, the undead remains of an army that was massacred in a battle long ago. It wanders an abandoned corridor of the desert but is rumored to have been coming closer and closer to civilization in recent years.

Tell me about your "main" races Veeky Forums.
What do they look like? What are their customs? Do the races intermingle? Are they racist to one another? What is their architecture like?

How do you feel about settings where rather than having elves, orcs, and so forth, you mostly have human phenotypes that are much, much broader? Like in Star Wars (e.g. Chiss) or Exalted (e.g. Djala, Air Folk), for example.

>Do the races intermingle?
Fuck no, I hate all half-anything.
>Are they racist to one another?
Of course, not modern racism but stereotypes exist. That's just normal.
>What is their architecture like?
user please, some of them only live in tents.

Beyond the gates of Antares does that and I like it.

In a universe with no aliens (yet) it's cool to see humans develop to their world's environments over time to be the aliens.

I honestly love the idea that all the weird humanoids really are just offshoots of humanity, modified through genetics or cybernetics or magic to fit their environment and needs.

Civilized cultures in my world all use a duodecimal numeral system, so base 12 instead of base 10. This means players can't readily substitute their own real-world knowledge of basic maths for a character's Maths skill, even when it comes to simple algebra.

My group is split on this. Some think it's a nice quirk for immersion's sake, others say I'm a pedant with an adversarial stance to his players.

What do you think?

What level of in-universe math are you making your players do?

What are some good monsters to add to my setting. I don't want to do the typical "vampires, werewolves, oh my!"

Why are you not saying "their number system is duodecimal" then describing every number in the number system all your players know?

I don't make them do anything.

But Basic Math is an in-character prerequisite for some of the fiscal and bullshit they kept trying to pull in earlier years in order to destabilize the in-setting economy and become trader-emperors of the known world.

If that's what they want to do, fine, but they shouldn't expect combat-specialized mercenaries with no training in anything but fighting to pull it off.

I gave a general description and some examples of numbers. They weren't really up for doing real-life homework on the duodecimal system for the sake of an RPG.

>Playing sci-fi rpg
>Lead players on about a race they're going to have to fight purely bred for war
>They meet them
>Get their ass kicked
>What the hell user
>You think a race bred for conflict are going to be bad in a fight?
>I mean they're suppose to be the villains so... yeah

No my child.

Make a list of twenty or so monsters you like from myth, media, comics, etc, then add them. If you want to be original, instead roll twice and combine each one into a single coherent monster.

How would I go about creating a culture that's so obsessed with monster hunting, they're touted as rather insane? I don't want to have a magic element to their obsession, just an extreme mindset. I'm thinking that the place of their origin was originally just a small hamlet regularly plauged by beasts until someone of hunted them down to the point of extinction. That person was then revered as a savior, and then gave statutes that the masses adopted. The society grew into a small nation and the culture was beginning to get more sophisticated. The hunt was then seen as a beneficial ritual that enhanced the country's wellbeing and enriched the hunter's soul. The deadlier the monster is, the higher the status the hunter gains when it's killed (or if the hunter is killed, the more pious they are seen and the more they are rewarded in the afterlife).

This is so autismal, I don't even know where to begin...

What you have there is good,
Maybe have it be an integral part of their religion? The beasts represent say physical manifestations of sin or wickedness and to slay a beast is to both rid oneself of sin and to cleanse the world of wickedness. And what type of society are they? Nomadic would work, monster slaying gypsies.

I'm thinking that a group of hunters are ordained by the head religious figure and ordered to go forth and slay the monsters at the behest of their country, culture, and life itself. They're obliged to send 10% of their earnings gained from the work back to the capital city, the seat of their religion.

Ive been trying to brainstorm ideas for my dark lord guy, the setting is low magic and tech has progressed to say about civil war america era. What sort of things could make a dark lord in a low magic setting? Ive come up with

>Grants chosen individuals his mark that imbues them with power as his agents

So far

I'm Intermingling is fairly rare, but historically some of the Imperial people were taken as wives by the Southerners I haven't fleshed this out, but this may be a good origin story for the "Halflings" way to the North of the Southerners. In general the race is determined by which gender paren't race (A Southman Father and a Pygmy Mother would have a Southman son and a Pygmy daughter).

Imperials view the other races as unenlightened savages, although have a bit more respect for the Southerners due to their history. Pygmies are distrustful, especially of Imperials. Southerners have a lot of respect for Imperials, and view Pygmies in either a condescending regard, or view them as mercurial windbags. More worldly people with more interaction with various people are less likely to hold these views.

Architecture varies. Pygmies are mostly nomadic, but what structures they have tend to be stilted on the coast, and earthen in the few stationary agrarian cities they have.

The more desert dwelling Imperials have middle eastern architecture combined with heavy modernism (Street lamps, trollies, neon signs) and have cooling towers. The more Coastal/Jungle Imperials have Japanese/Chinese feel with just as much modernization (pic related).

The the Beginning of the South, you'd have very pleasant hilly countryside with a decent amount of modern appliances with rural French sensibilities. Farther south would be less modernized, and more Nordic in design. The Island would have mostly splendid spiraling towers and gothic castles for the more wealthy wizardlords, but even the poorer live in decadent (Spooky) manors. Despite being isolated, it's the same tech level as even the most advance of the Imperial cities.

make so that they become more powerful(physical or magic) and any they kill has the soul absorbed by them which makes they stronger, but when they die their souls go to the dark lord so the dark lord is feeding conflicts so that he may grow stronger.

Anons help me make a antagonist.
He's embodiment of destruction, like a demigod, a being more ancient than gods, like one of the beings first come to existence.
Truly the embodiment of the concept of destruction, he is to be a being who thinks only to destroy.
How should this be executed?

The etymology makes no sense, the taur is what means bull and the mino comes from the fact that the Minotaur was from minauros. It should be a Minobunny by that logic or a (City Name)bunny.

>Modern setting, everyone knows magic is real.
>> How are undead created in your setting? Are they intelligent?
Humans are comprised of the mind, the body and the soul. Undead are creatures that lack one of these.
There exists a ritual to remove a human's soul, this results in an immortal, immoral creature that thirsts for blood.
When a human dies a particullarly horrific death, sometimes the mind breaks and fuses with the soul,preventing it to pass into the afterlife, this creates a ghost, a vengeful spirit doomed to forever repeat its last moments of life.
Some skilled mages have found a way to sacrifice an animal and bind its soul to a human corpse, this creates a loyal servant without all the inconvenient, rebelious thoughts.
>> Do undead create societies? What are they like? Who leads them?
Vampires often group in "family units" where the vampirethat turned the others is seen as the leader.
>> Who is spoopiest/most influential undead (or necromancer or similarly dark arts-inclined individual if your undead are dumb) in your setting?
Cities with a high density of mages are warded against the undead, they can't cross the city border, and all undead inside city limits are industrial zombies that were created there.
Still there are those who fear the vampire lord Viktor von Stauffer, who's been amassing followers, both living and undead.
In places where warding is less common, warlords wage war with massive armies of the dead.

>Mankind enters the stars full of hope
>Make first contact with aliens
>Aliens seem... disheveled and somehow... run down
>Aliens inform mankind that they're just scavenger passing through
>The humans waylay them asking them question of the galactic community on a whole
>Aliens quickly inform them that their expectations are too high and that they promptly missed the golden age by about give or take 5 million years
>All that's left are remnant robotics of long gone nations, the last empires ran by despots, and scavengers like themselves.
>Mankind finally reaches the stars and misses the fun

Would you guys play in a universe like that or is it too grim maybe?

Is he outright evil? What's his motivations? Just to do destroy? Why does he want to destroy everything? Is he just a force of nature?

Hey, is this practical or realistic at all for a semi-sci-fi city? I'm trying to make a big-ass wargame where the smallest unit is the Company, so I wanna work out if this is at all how geography and city planning would work while giving the players the most terrain zones possible to fight over.

Did you ever play exalted?
He's like the primordials, and being older than the concept of old.
Literally the embodiment of destruction, he destroys because he must, because it is his very core, he cannot understand the idea of not destroying something, because destruction is him.

I am not sure if i should make him a mindless beast or a devious schemer tough.

Nah user I haven't.

So destruction is him? Ok. To represent to players though just really trump up what he embodies and what the stakes are in this. You can't talk him out of it because it's him. It's his reason for existence. He is the other side of the coin to life. The living side of the duality.

Show what's at stake. Make his destruction of things personal.

Why would he scheme out the way things are destroyed? If his power level is that high why would he need to? He's anemic to life right? Then make him the engine of death that he is.

My space opera has 6 races including humans. Three are just different enough to be weird but still humanoid, one's a quadruped, and the others a crustacean. There's no interbreeding, but different races have been living in close proximity for so longs there's a lot of cultural intermingling. There are even some intra-racial ethnic groups, which defined more by shared customs and languages than biology. On the flipside, there's also a lot of racism, both inside races and between them. A lot of people distrust the dominant alien race, the Oklos, after an Oklos ethno-state tried to genocide everyone.

There's also the robots, but no-one talks about the robots.

>tried to genocide everyone

Yeah I can see where the distrust comes from.

My wood elves see animals,trees and plants as equals. They speak with them and they seek to be one with the elements

What do they eat?

Sunlight? After communing with trees a great druid transmuted the race to be more one with nature making the wood elves a photosynthetic race. All the require is the sun and water to live. Truly at peace now with nature.

> How are undead created in your setting? Are they intelligent?
Depends. Some are made the old fashioned way (necromancy) others arise from particularly bloody battles or atrocities. And then there are the Otairi Gardeners; those bastards figured out how to channel positive energy through living matter, then put it into bones and constructs. One moment, you're walking through a nice hunting reserve, then the king calls the gardeners to war and all of a sudden they're all riding around on skeleton-dragons and the hunting reserve looks like No-Man's-Land. Sure, when the fight's over they put it all back, but it's never 100% back.
Cabals, mostly, now. There's the Gardeners, but they're pretty much the king's open secret. Rumor has it there used to be a Lich Queen, but the Paladin's took over her castle and forced the remaining vampires into exile.
Viritel the Bastard/Wise; he's the head Gardener. Thought he'd get clever with his manipulation of positive energy and linked his own lifeforce with the king's redwoods. Now he's stuck being a Sentient Forest for all time. There's also some vampire lord thinking he's going to rescue the Lich Queen; thinks the Paladins kidnapped her and are using her to power their spells or something. The Fool! That's not how Paladins work!
..... right? Tell me paladins don't use unconscious evil sorceresses as power-generators. C'mon guys.

That would give them a good reason to put aside their hatred of the other races to stop [evil dude] and [his evil forces] from bringing the eternal night

Thanks

Not truly anemic to life really.
Like creation, destruction is necessary for the universe for it means renewement.

Your welcome user.

Exactly, he's the other side of the coin.

>/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

I unfortunately don't have anything intelligent or constructive to report, so here's a Satyr I drew last night that I thought turned out okay for a guy who hasn't drawn in like a month.

Oh, uh, and have some fluff:
>Satyrs are originally the product of devils/demons finally gaining access to the physical world and quickly abandoning their demonic agendas and loyalty to hell in favor of siding themselves with the wild and quickly becoming charmed, corrupted, and naturalized by their new found freedom.
>An all male species due to their unnatural origins, Satyr society is fundamentally homosexual in nature and culturally misogynistic: where while non-satyr men are treated amicably and at times respected or the subject of romantic affection, women are treated cruelly and are always the victims of rape and kidnapping for the sole purpose of reproduction- being abandoned or 'returned' once they're usefulness as wombs has been expended.

Magical realm

Katanagatari, and I think it's a soul crusher

>And does it have a happy ending.
It’s a story about appreciating the journey regardless of how your end goal turns out. So no.

this is heresy

Could there be rivers somewhere that temperatures never rise above freezing?

There's such a huge variety of anime that calling something "anime-themed" doesn't actually tell us anything.

Probably mercury or lead, because they're retarded.

was thinking battle shounen crossed with some of the old fantasy anime if that helps give you a feel for what I want.

I like that idea user thanks.

But then why centaur?

It is quite possible for water to warmer than the air above it.
Most common reasons would be either geothermal heat source - hot springs, geysers and so on
Or lots water carrying heat from elsewhere - like the warm currents near Norway.

> How are undead created in your setting?

Death magic. Can be done by magic user or happen spontaneously if a place has lots of death magic in it - spirits manifest, bones reform and rise.
Lots of killing or certain rituals can raise the ambient death magic for a very long time, making a place haunted.

> Are they intelligent?

Those that are bodies animated by magic with no spirit are never intelligent. Most necromancers create these. Because messing with the powers of the afterlife to get spirits back is far too much trouble.

In general, to keep ones mind the person needs to be alive at the moment when they become undead.
Spirits that manifest or are bound to dead bodies (usually their own) are unable to perceive time after the moment of their death. Not quite mindless, more like insanity.

There is one society where living and undead coexist.
Very disciplined, determined to get back at the nomads that (metaphorically) entombed them. Nominally led by lich elders but they rarely speak.

Influential - lich elders from previous.
Best known - barrow kings of the halflings. Especially the Five.

> What do they look like?

A number of distantly related humanoid branches and various beast races.

> What are their customs?

Humanoids are generally human but various cultures exist.
Beast races tend to be more specialized due to smaller territories and becoming civilized more recently.

> Do the races intermingle?

Only humanoids can interbreed. Attitudes vary from neutral to kill the abomination.
Sex without relationships is mostly tolerated since it means little.
And in the more urban and mixed areas "crossing over" is actually preferred for one night stands - no risk of babies and few diseases are common.

> Are they racist to one another?

Lots of stereotypes everywhere, mostly true.
Actual hatred and violence on the basis of race only happens when there is previous history and bad blood. Like southern halflings and humans. Elves were disliked by everyone and hated by many, but they are gone now.

> What is their architecture like?

Varies by region and culture. Magic is often used since a building stands long enough to be worth the cost.

A recent post by an user in the Afghanistan thread got me thinking, would it be a good idea to compile various worldbuilding related threads for /wbg/?