>Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread

Dog race when?!

How do I fully exhibit my fealty to the Machine God in 5e?

There's an urban cleric or something in the sci-fi UA, I think.

Forge Cleric is also viable if by "machine" you mean "forge," and Forge Cleric rules, so I hope you do.

>Humanoid form
Not enough

Move to Mechanus

Long story short; is it possible to make a Drider PC race for 5e that isn't broken? What do you lot think?

For comparison, this version is giving up the vanilla Drow's Trance, Keen Senses and Drow Weapon Training features. Additionally, the DMG states that it's up to the DM if magic items will automatically reshape themselves for a wielder or not, so you can't rely on always being able to just find magic armor or footwear.

Drider, mk 1:
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet, Climb 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 120 feet
Fey Ancestry: You have Advantage on saving throws against Charm effects and are Immune to Magical Sleep effects.
Drow Magic: You can cast the Dancing Lights cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire once per long rest. At 5th level, you can cast Darkness once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability score for these spells.
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls and on Perception checks based on sight when you or your target is in direct sunlight.
Spider Legs: You have a Climb Speed of 30 feet and do not need to make an ability check to climb on difficult surfaces, even upside down on the ceiling. The downside is that your unusual anatomy prevents you from using footwear-based magical items unless they have been specifically designed to fit your anatomy, or can magically reshape themselves to fit. Additionally, you must have armor custom-fitted; properly-fitted armor increases its cost by +50% (rounding up), whilst improperly fitted armor has its AC reduced by -2 points, minimum of AC 0, to represent the glaring vulnerable spots it presents. You cannot use magic armor unless it can be made to magically reshape itself for your anatomy.

>Finally have a chance to play a Stone Sorcerer
>Everything I want ability wise
>Have no idea what to do for flavor or backstory because Earth magic and the plane itself are both so sparse.

I'M WORKING ON IT.

Don't play a Stone Sorcerer, it's so bad that it will not even be on Xanathar's

I'd turn it either into a spell or a once per rest ability via a feat.

I don't even care about power that much. I just want the ability to Quicken a spell so I can melee and cast in the same turn while having that protection ability for my party members. Plus I can pick up the weapon cantripss and smites.

It's bait. Stone Sorcerers are arguably the best sorcerers and a lot of people are upset that they're not getting into Xanathar's.

You know what you must do

Considering its competition with ones that aren't already confirmed (phoenix and sea), I'd say Stone is very probably going to get in alongside Divine Soul and Shadow.

My stone Sorcerer is a charlatan mountain dwarf that uses his innate connection to the earth and high charisma to make bogus weapons by coating rusty weapons with a thin layer of quality metal. How he got his sorcery isn't even part of his story and I left it up to the dm whether or not it'll matter

I played one before. She was a Viking-type character who had raided a temple and found a set of runestones scattered around in it. When they were brought together it cast a powerful spell which turned everyone and everything within 100 feet to stone. A hundred years later the party stumbled upon the secluded temple and disturbed the stones, causing her to wake up.

The warlock spell list has spells going all the way to level 9 spells but when I look at the warlock table it says the slot level only goes to 5th. So wouldn't that mean they can take 6th and higher level spells but not be able to cast them?

Read the book black man

They get very specific one-off higher level spells that have nothing to do with their short rest based casting.

I had a feeling. Con to AC and all the other benefits seemed really good as a baseline.

Yeah, I guess Im getting hung up too much on the source of it all rather than them as a character. I do want to be thematic with it, but I suppose I might be starting from the wrong place.

If Critical Role has ever done anything for DnD, it's exposing how big of a prick Matthew Colville is.

>WAHH WHY ISN'T MERCER ROLLING HIS PC'S IN A STORY DRIVEN CAMPAIGN! #notmyvecna

I don't even watch CR cause I can't stand how many rules they break and all, but shut the fuck up dude and let them have their moment.

Also I feel like 3x Meteor Swarm was better than 3x Power:Word Kill against a party of 6-8 with a fuckton of Revivifies. They never gave Vecna a good opportunity to follow up on it tho, and I agree that CC > MAYBE killing on PC for 1-2 turns

If I'm using a glaive but not PAM is the Great Weapon fighting style or Defense fighting style superior?

>Eh look I made a bridge took me what? Five seconds? Ten tops!

Mercer really gave them the win, though. It should have been over for them.

there's a good chance sorcerer only gets 2 though, so Divine getting in means stone probably won't unless there's a third

>curious as to what critical role was
>voice actors playing dnd
>people literally watch other people play dnd
>dejavu of people watching other people play video games

I think Mercer ran Vecna pretty well. He did softball it a little at times but Vox Machina did have some insanely lucky saves and Scanlan's brilliant usage of counterspells kept them up at key moments where Matt was really trying to take them down. That 9th level counterspell really caught Matt off guard

That was Vinny the demolitions guy, not Mole!

It's been a thing for years but definitely skyrocketed in these 5e days.

What if they replaced the level 14 Stone Sorceror feature with this?

Earth Master's Channel
When you cast a spell that requires a spell attack roll, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell's level (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip) and channel it through your weapon. As a part of casting the spell this way, you must make a melee weapon attack, on a hit the spell attack rolls hit automatically and are considered part of the single weapon attack.

I mean sure he could have
Meteor Swarm > Grog > Legendary Action(2): Meteor Swarm > Vax > Legendary Action(2): Meteor Swarm, but where was the fun in that.

He did probably take it SLIGHTLY too easy on them (Should have cast more than one Disintegrate, but they never really stayed low enough to guarantee the kill), but I liked how he played Vecna based on how he has presented all the combat encounters in the campaign.

He kept trying to fuck them by removing their key players (I mean fuck, he burned 3-4 legendary resists just to keep Grog trapped), and purposely targeting Scanlan/Pike

If I was DMing for a party where combat encounters were on average easier I would have played Vecna pretty similarly. Sure you can PW: Kill someone, but with that many revives to go it wasn't worth it. I would have made more adds during the fight. (Gloomstalkers show up at the end of every round, skeleton lair action to be 8 each time.

All this said, if Vecna would have made his save (Thus extending the fight till the Titan impacted the tower, killing Vecna and PROBABLY TPK'ing or getting close), or if Scanlan didn't have two fucking clutch Counterspells Vecna would have escaped. If he got that Banish on Scanlan they would have been forced to do more damage to Vecna, and he was 10HP away from Incorporal anyway.

The whole shitshow about the skipped Concentration checks for Marisha is honestly a pretty moot point because so many people missed so many things (that were good and bad for them) it's really fucking hard to tell how big a difference it would have made, since if she would have reverted they probably would have gotten the 2nd/3rd trammels in sooner, and probably forcing the final Legendary Resistance sooner. Either way the players clearly fucking loved every little bit of it so who m I to say.

I just like watching Matt weave a story, and watching most of them play and interact (I don't like Liam/Marisha's RP, but I dont have anything against them)

My gripes with the whole thing.

>Concentraion Shapechange
This is really bad, it left me unhappy for the majority of the battle because it became an intricate part of the battle, if this form was dropped when it should have been the fight would have played out much differently (Grog could not fly up, no additional healing options, no trammel chance for her, no extra damage from Planetar, the book itself could not have been read and would have led on to a different outcome for the party) It just made such a large impact and the fact that she should not have had it really grinds my gears.

>Vecna's spells and strategies
Okay so why did he constantly cast finger of death when like half of them resisted necrotic damage and he had disintegrate which would instant kill some of them? Why did he only cast forcecage once and not on any of the party members that would pose a bigger threat? What's up with banishment not dropping concentration on the people it targets, they are incapacitated on a failed save and banished. Also not a single casting of Chill Touch considering how often he cast Touch of Death. Lastly, I feel there was a lack of undead spellcasters in the fight especially considering who they were dealing with. Also, the cold damage would have killed someone I'm sure.

>The Titan
I'm upset this thing did not smash someone considering Vecna had full control of it throughout the whole battle.

Things I liked
>Scanlan, Joe, Grog, Vax, and Pike
They were putting in work this session especially Sam never forget how good counterspell on a bard can be. They kept me pretty well entertained throughout the battle.

Too expensive. It's basically attacking with the spell normally, except you're stuck into melee range and you deal a bit of extra damage based on your weapon. It'd be better to just make it cost 1 and make it a default sorcery point option, since it's functionally similar to Quicken.

So why not make it 2 to match up with Quicken?

Because it's also more limited than quicken

I like the collaborative story aspect too, I just didn't know people would actually watch people play a DnD game.
>mfw thousands of people actually were watching this

Critical role campaign is over? New campaign when? I REALLY REALLY want to see Travis play as a smart character

I see all this talk about CR but no one ever seems to mention Acq Inc or C-Team. Jerry seems like a great DM.

The shapechange really bothered me last night, but now that I think about it, it probably didn't swing the outcome THAT MUCH in their favor. It deff sped things along, but if she wasn't Planetar they would have found another way to get Grog up, or much more likely had Arkhan/Vax(with inspiration) insert the trammels (Maybe not even breaking the 2nd). Plus Grog+Planetar's damage not happening might have been BETTER for them, since Vecna was so fucking low anyway. If Arkhan was busy with the trammels and didn't hit that Brutal Crit they would have had more chances to break Vecna's concentration before he reached critical. They already have 3 trammel wounds open and were just beating on him for a long time. Also Vex forgot like 50-100 radiant damage from her blessing anyway.

Healing helped two, but because potions are an extra action that even wasn't a big deal, because they had FUCKLOADS of potions left.

I usually just listen while doing something else. Last night had like 30k people live, and the Youtube vids do 400k + views

Epilogue next week
One Shot/Board Game/Q&A the week after
Week off for Matt/Marisha wedding
One Shot/Board Game
Probably new campaign

There's a lot of streamed campaigns these days, user. 5e's a lot more accessible than previous editions, and the platforms that enable that sort of thing have seen a lot of refinement.

Acq Inc was filling theaters for the live show before CR was even a thing, so yeah, people like watching D&D.

Alright, what if I gave it the ability to channel saving throw based spells through it as well?

We're back, boys.

Had a West Marches game my bud DM's running where I gave it a test run (level 7), but the biggest issue I ran into involved Venomous Metamagic affecting the group as much as, if not more than, the enemy. Granted, it was in a rather tight cave-ish layout with chokes, but those are the main issues I saw and would be looking for feedback on:
>Venomous Metamagic affecting everyone in range definite "damned if you do" moments
>Entrancing Spell "all" to "enemies" while also lowering range to compensate
>Sickening Spell "all" to "cone toward target"

The more positive things involved:
>Forked Tongue coming in clutch for fooling/persuading possible enemies of our soon-to-be-intention
>Serpent's Embrace parseltongue useful with snake magic item
>Bonus poison/acid damage came out like twice

>DM is keeping meticulous track of our Strahdian adventure
Man, we're actually pretty killy. Our GWF Fighter does have a broken arm now, though, so he's useless.

What are the chances of Marisha not being in the next campaign?

Would a food version of the Decanter of Endless Water be broken?

>What are the chances of Marisha not being in the next campaign?

Well she is the DM's wife, a casual/female fan favorite, and the creative director of Geek and Sundry.

Zero

So I play a reverse trap tomboy monk who just wants to fight strong enemies, learn to be more feminine and is innocent about the how babies are made.
My friend plays a cross dressing trap paladin but is still played straight as your typical devotee of Ilmater. When he was young, his sisters like to dress him up in cute clothes because he look the prettiest of the siblings. He just got used to it.

should we just be ashamed of ourselves?

That depends: is there going to be a C Plot over the campaign where you learn from each other and eventually fall into the most pure and chivalrous romance imaginable?

As long as everybody is having fun, and nobody is uncomfortable, then you're fine. It's a fantasy game after all, so it doesn't have to be representative of your actual personality.

but if it is representative, then you should be ashamed.

>the absolute state of Veeky Forums

What are some sure ways to stick something to an enemy, mechanically wise?

How do you mean? Like a character physically attaching something to them?

Yeah. I need a reliable way to stick an object to an enemy. Preferably something hard to remove.

He treats me more of a little sister. We've slept on the same bed and bathed together.

It's still more limited because it forces you into melee range.

At an absolute baseline, you can compare a swing vs a shocking grasp plus whichever spell they can both cast. Depending on how good the Sorcerer's melee ability is, Shocking grasp will pull ahead at 2d8 at the earliest and 3d8 at the latest. It also requires less stat investment and shocking grasp will shut down reactions, even if you need 2 atrack rolls instead of 1. That also does mean quicken is more reliable.

But on top of that, Quicken can just sit back at a range and use a Firebolt and a Scorching Ray instead, or an AoE, or a buff spell, or anything else. At that point it's doing even better damage from a distance.

At 2 sorcery points the only time to use this over Quicken would be if you had max strength and a greatsword or you were under level 5. Making it cost 1 keeps it relevant without breaking too mich or overshadowing Quicken. I think the attack roll spell limitation is also a good idea to keep.

>reverse trap tomboy monk.
>monk.
>not a street-rat rogue.

Also why is a reverse trap tomboy monk trying to learn how to be feminine? Wouldn't that just make them just a tomboy learning to be more feminine?

I think that's sweet too. Sounds like a fun and heartwarming dynamic.

Sovereign Glue. Find a King, Emperor, or other Sovreign. Process him into glue. Enjoy something that won't be getting removed mid-fight for certain if ever.

>The glue takes 1 minute to set.
Any other idea?

well her background was an Urchin

Reverse trap has to be specified because her appearance and demeanor make people think she's a boy. Not all tomboys are mistaken for boys

>Player wants to use a big scythe in battle

Red flag?

Do we know what the one wizard making it into XGE is? Theurge?

Certainly not a green flag

its okay if hes a necromancer

I don't want to go too cthulu with my warlock, but can my old one patron be a dead old one?

Probably. Give him a war scythe instead, see if he goes with it or just goes off.

>epic heroic fantasy
nigga who cares
he can have a giant chainsaw sword if he wants, there's fuckers flying around on draconic wings and shooting lightning out of their buttholes
someone having a weaponized farm implement that you think is slightly weirder than all the other completely legitimate weaponized farm implements (flails, spears, staves) isn't weird in the slightest
stat it like a greataxe and be done

Hm okay, so what if this was a level 14 Stone sorcerer feature? Instead of it being a regular metamagic option?

It'd probably be fine. I'd still say you'd want it to only be one sorcery point, as it's replacing the extra damage feature by sucking up your spell slots for the day.

Not even remotely. Just adjust the angle to be 45 degrees more outward from where it usually attaches to the shaft and have both sides be sharp. Stat it up like a glaive.

ToA seems really fucking fun. Is it actually so or is the book disappointing?

It has its problems (the big picture of the campaign, with the death curse and Acererak and you being level 1 adventurers, just falls apart) but all the moving parts in it are really well-made.

Yeah, I can't stand Colville. He even spoiled what the Vecna mini would look like before the stream started. He's a fat faggot who isn't happy that they've let him in on their gravy train and allowed to write their shitty comic. I've never liked him but his behavior has cemented my hatred for his fat ass.

>lv7
>facing an enemy with over 23 AC, natural armor
I won't stand this anymore.

Acq Inc was what gave Felicia Day the idea that maybe a streamed tabletop game could work, and she knew about Matt's home games because they are all in similar job circles (small screen actors, voice actors, voice directors, etc.) And heard the players gush about how they're really loving playing tabletop games (at the time they were still under Pathfinder rules).

So she pitched the idea to them and this coincided with 5e launch, so they could get some extra publicity as this being a new edition of D&D being played by professional actors, both stage and voice. Combine that with it hitting right at the time Twitch was starting to go big, it was a combination of those factors that made CR explode with popularity.

Acq Inc broke the ground, CR just got the first real big boon from it.

>He even spoiled what the Vecna mini would look like before the stream started.

I don't watch people play DnD on stream but is this something anyone actually cares about?

Depends on the enemies offensive capabilities, and my 7th level party can (and has) handled this sort of thing pretty readily.

Now a mob of monsters with +5 to hit and pack tactics, that fucked them up.

Tfw I want to start playing DnD but zero of my friends are interested, and I dont live anywhere near a store.

Is roll20 any good for this? I would probably need my hand held at least a little bit

I wanna play as a half-skeleton.
Any good homebrewed or official half-skeleton race out there?
Official is clearly preferred.

Very nice! I do intend to change the premise and some of what the players would find, but hopefully it'll all tie together nicely.

For fans it was a little annoying as no one really knew what Vecna would look like (in his ascended form) and there was a general hype.

Also it helps it looked sick as fuck

Roll20 is great if you want to get to know the most scabrous, repellent turbo-autists drawn to the hobby, the people who can't be bothered to bathe for a public gathering, who's personality is so abhorrent that they can't be tolerated by small groups of people who are also social misfits.

Oh good. Where else should I try then? Once I get a feel for what I would want to try (Need to do research) I have also thought about hitting up the LFG thread here or maybe reddit

Roll20 is only good if you're playing with people you know. Playing with randoms is just asking to play with the worst.
In all honesty reddit____ is usually pretty good for finding games.

I think - in my eyes - Colville's biggest problem is that he wants things to be perfect. The perfect plan, the perfect backups, the perfect execution, the perfect story and scene and setting. And that's just not possible in most tabletop games when you have good, smart players.

The bad player will take those lumps or quit the hobby. The decent player will follow the road for him. The good/smart player will go off the trail because it introduces chaos and the unknown into the equation, where a quick wit and fast thinking can be just as good - if not better - than the expected answer to the presented problem.

It works fine for the comic book, because his desire for perfection helps with word smithing. It's not as helpful in a fluid tabletop experience.

Variant Human

Skeleton with every other bone taken out. Skeleton stats, small size.

Roll20 is only worthwhile for players and DMs who've gamed in the past, and want to use it to keep playing after work/school/life has made physically meeting up rather impossible.

I don't really know what else to suggest, I had a long drought of gaming before resuming Forever DMing after meeting some players at a factory job. Social media seems the best option tho.

This. Everyone has a spooky skellington inside them.

God say what you want about CR but Matt really is an amazing map/figure designer

A lot of money and scads of free time will do that for you.

what the fuck is hanging off Vecna? Is that a soda bottle top?

I've watched Matt C's videos, he seems to have good ideas but his roleplaying sessions are boring as shit.

Yep, its how they keep track of status effects

Maybe it's that ring that can kill a god when thrown.

No, I don't remember what that is from.