How can you tell if someone is the devil in a low magic setting?

How can you tell if someone is the devil in a low magic setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cvl_J_Qn5JM
bato.to/reader#3548b9777074ad65
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How can you tell if someone is the devil in a low magic setting?
Give him/her the pink flower, obviously.

Look for the person offering you something too good to be true. His physical form is likely to be someone who seems very supportive, charismatic, and charitable.
It's also possible that the devil is the leader or advisor to the leader of the antagonist's team, or even a "neutral" faction.

Generally, just look for the guy that never directly does much, but gives other people the push they need, all while seeming to be a very "good" person. Keep in mind that they might be this kind of person to others as well, and not just you.

Do they flinch when you speak the name of god?

If they're always super well-dressed, especially when it doesn't call for it.

If they have charcoal black skin. Not just "black" as in skin-color, literally Black as in "not even light seems to escape".

Completely fucking depends on what that setting is.

His/her/its feet are filthy.

European medieval stasis, same as always.

I don't think that would be a very good disguise.

If you mean the Christian devil, then he's probably trying to get a faithful person to willingly denounce God and join him in opposing God and his plan, thus giving up their immortal soul. Maybe he loans people whatever they need at their most desperate hour in exchange for their soul, maybe he swoops in after tragedies and uses people's grief to turn them against God, maybe this , simply influencing people and events to push the world as a whole away from God. Perhaps he's appeared to two kingdoms as a wise and valuable adviser only to slowly nudge both into a war that will plunge the land into chaos.

What if I'm interested in more of a chill devil?

Y'know, a devil you can have a drink with.

Did you
>Meet them at the crossroads at midnight
>Repeatedly boast about your fiddle playing should
>Sign a contract seemingly without fine print
>Sinn a contact for something impossible (fine print included)
>Have a conversation with someone named luci, lucius, , Mr. Morningstar, scratch, beezle or any other variants?
>Run into a silver coin with Latin writing?

Is the GM smiling when you interact with some one offering your character a good deal?

That does NOTHING to inform about this topic. What is the devil? What is fantastic about the world? What fantastical stuff do people have access to?

If someone is intentionally charming, it is a good chance that they are Satan.

Even if they're not Satan, anyone who puts an effort into putting more than their usual self forward is hiding something you don't want to get involved with. You have avoided problems either way.

Have you tried asking politely?

obligatory

can they use magic? then they are the devil and must be burned at the stake.

Man all these years and "depends on the setting" is still the gayest fucking thing you can say in a brain storming thread.

Easy
>skinny, pale man
>red hair and a tiny goat´s beard
>hunters clothes
>cocktail feather somewhere on his head or his shirt
>walks weird
>offers you deals, obviously

Source?

Wow, what a useful contribution fag bait.

[Sayman] Doubt

Thank you

and, fuck, it's good and is only one chapter long so won't take a long time to read. I highly recommend it.

If he tells you what you want to hear, promises you all you want and more, and has the power to deliver on his claims, you probably have a devil.

The cloven feet are usually a dead give away

>Do they flinch when you speak the name of god?
youtube.com/watch?v=cvl_J_Qn5JM

Do not ever trust anyone you meet at a crossroads, especially in the middle of the night. Alternatively, get that fucker to make you the greatest to ever play the Blues.

He has a WAY better one about summoning a devil.

bato.to/reader#3548b9777074ad65

Kill them. If they are still alive afterwards, they are the devil.

That was fun, cute, and interesting. Good stuff.

>bato.to/reader#3548b9777074ad65
It's giving me image of sad panda.

Hug them.
If you smell sulfur, they're probably the devil(or live in a place with sulfur springs).
If you don't, well then you just hugged someone, and probably brightened their day a bit.

If they're good looking and interested in you, be wary.

You have made a terrible, terrible mistake

Story of my life.

if he appears on a chariot of fire, saying the world is doomed to fall to his evil law, as demon armies burst forth from the earth

Except it actually does depend on the setting. No answer can be given without knowing what the devil is and what magic can do.

If he starts singing about how he can fix anyone's problems, deals, and the darkness in all men's hearts. He's probably a satan

Read: Best choice.

Set them on fire. If their fake human skin disguise burns away to reveal their actual nonflammable demonic form, then it's kind of obvious. If they were actually human, well, shit happens.

He/she can be a good drinkin buddy

I think this book was very specifically made to aid in outing devils and their accomplishes in a low magic setting.

What's the name of it?

"Excuse me, are you a/the devil?"

It may feel like metagaming, but it's kind of surprising how productive it can be to just say something like "By the way, before I get started you aren't an evil wizard or Satan or something are you?"

It's mostly a theological debate piece arguing that witches do exist, that the devil does give them power, and that nothing of this contradicts canon.