So a game based around a Conquistador and Aztec theme isn't... That's probably a bad idea right?

So a game based around a Conquistador and Aztec theme isn't... That's probably a bad idea right?

Eh. It's an interesting idea. If you had a good concept for it and executed it well, I think it'd do fine. You'd just need to be a little tasteful in how you handled it. There are some people who'll still whine about it, but they're not worth placating. They're the sort of idiots who claim to triumph diversity and then slap down any game that doesn't fit with their ideals, principles and worldview.

>Spanish use "smallpox" boost
>98% of your aztec army is destroyed

EVERY

FUCKING

TIME

I've run a couple of "first contact with the New World" sort of games. They're great settings.

I don't think you need a dedicated game for Cortez's Jolly Journey though, just pick whatever universal system you like best.

Only if it has pirates and dinosaurs in it

>Aztecs use jungle fever

Dinosaurs? What are you 5

Kinda onesided. Oddly enough making the aztecs interesting, even while not paiting the spanish as brutes, isn't that difficult.

Also merfolk are right out.

>Not liking dinosaurs
>Not exploring the New Continent and the mighty Kingdom of the Saurexa.
>Not fighting the feared warriors brandishing macahuitls lined with T-Rex teeth
>Not fleeing the natives and accidentally stumbling into a raptor den

Do you just hate fun?

It's not really that interesting it's just genocide and destruction of culture and setting up bases and slave farms, stealing riches too.

I think even for the most hardcore edgefag it would get pretty boring after the first couple of sessions.

I'd enjoy seeing a world built around what would happen if the aztecs killed enough conquistadors that they got tired of invading (and also didn't bring smallpox/various european diseases with them) and left them to their own devices. Might be interesting to see what kind of campaign would come out of thaat.

Spread the gifts of Papa Nurgle

What about the guys looking for the fountain of youth and gold cities?

Not necessarily- the Spanish were wildly outnumbered, to the extent that if you even somewhat mitigated the damage to the locals caused by European diseases, they would be facing some pretty fucking steep odds. Remember that they only were able to take Tenochtitlan in real life because they were already inside the city, had a LOT of native allies, and the city was in total chaos from the diseases.

I feel like you would run into problems where neither faction is particularly sympathetic. Except maybe the lesser groups which teamed up with the Spanish against the Aztecs, but most people aren't going to want to play as members of tribes with no brand recognition.
It would make a pretty good villain campaign if you're into that sort of thing though.
Of course the more layers of fantasy you put between your setting and reality the less of an issue this is.

Depends on how realistic you make it and what kind of message you're painting. What did you have in mind?

>1519
>join native allies to overthrow an evil empire that is known for raiding its neighbours in to submission and sacrificing captives taken in raids to their gods
>every tribe around them joins you in destroying them because they hate them that much
>2017
>wow so edgy
>evil campaign guys 4 reals
>genocide of culture!

No matter how bad the Spanish were the people at the time chose them over someone worse. A conquistador campaign could be about rallying the neighbouring people that have been down trodden by the Aztecs and stopping them.

Depends on what you mean by both of those. If it's purely historical, that might be in bad taste and would also probably be a shitty game. If it's not!Spain going through a weird pulpy not!South America, then you have more options.

If anything, I would take it a step further. Make it a full on scramble of initial exploration efforts by multiple old world factions conflicting with several new ones. Throw in a good dose of magic so things aren't just solved by disease and then you have a lot of freedom to do whatever you want.

How well was Maztica received?

Reminder that the Aztec Empire was neither Aztec nor an Empire.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd run a campaign where you literally play as Cortez and co. conquering the Aztec empire, but on paper the concept of a small number of technologically advanced renegades suddenly appearing and attempting to take out a comparatively primitive empire could work. If you work in that the not!Aztecs are brutal overlords themselves who commit atrocities against their neighbors on a regular basis, and that the not!Conquistadors are comparably evil, you could have some interesting moral quandries for your players.

>the people at the time chose them over someone worse

You mean chose them over someone they thought was worse. I'm sure once the sugar plantations went up a lot of em started thinking things weren't so bad.

The Conquest was basically a war between two equally if distinctly unethical regimes.

Mechanically, it had some interesting things. Narratively, it was literally just a cut and paste of history. There was even a drow equivalent of Malinche there, for crying out loud! Also, that book got a lot of flack for portraying the entire continent as a backwards setting with savage and bloody-minded indigenous inhabitants that encourage the PCs to wipe them out. I was okay with that.

Not really, the Aztecs were comically evil even to the standards of the other locals. When they arrived from the north, they swiftly murdered everyone they came in contact with, skinning their women and sending them back in pieces to their fathers for shit and giggles.

They were zealously devout to a war god that constantly demanded slaves for sacrifice and thus they pretty much had ritual wars and raided everyone constantly, all the time, forever. They were ALSO dicks about it.

There was plenty of impressive, advanced and honorable cultures in the meseoamericas but the Aztecs really were just your typical warlike culture born from raiding barbarians that managed to prosper once they enslaved their less aggressive neighbors.

ITT people who just enjoy the mtg ixalan block.

Bad taste to who? The aztecs? They are long gone, people who cry about it have no grasp on history. Mexicans are not descended from the aztecs, not anymore than we are from the spaniards. Really, most mexicans (that is those who are not retarded) understand we're descended from both and that if the Conquista had not happened we wouldn't exist as we do right now. We're not native-americans any more than we are spaniards. This somehow seems very hard to grasp to some people somehow.

Also most people I know would fucking love roleplaying that period of time. It was an actual high-adventure time of exploration and discovery IRL. It's the perfect setting for adventure and conflict.

Somebody hasn't succumb to Ixalan's binding.

Either everyone is villains or everyone is people trying to survive and using their military prowess to do so.
The second you try to play aztecs as helpless victims you ruin the setting. The conquista is one of the most human historical events we have recorded and will face you with literally every story you can think of, from star-crossed lovers to survival horror from a cthonic death cult.

The best part of it is hispanics are the third largest demographic in the world and they generally enjoy the setting and refuse to be shamed for liking it's colonial themes because those colonial themes are the reason they have a culture.

Wasn't there also a lot of political scheming, playing the native populations against each other, etc? Sounds like great fun to me.

More dinosaurs the further west you go until you hit the other coast and find the coastal cities of a sapient dinosaur people and their empire.

The seas you encounter in the east of that new land have mermaids in them. They sing beautifully, are pleasing to look upon and are at least of human intelligence but they are predatory and you are food if you fall off the boat.

The north of that land is occupied by a savage imperialistic culture that practices human sacrifice and imposes unreasonable taxes to create rebellion to get POWs for human sacrifices.

The high priest-kings of the north are creatures that might once have been men but now wear the skins of their victims to hide their skinless forms and eat their flesh. It's unknown what happened to them to make them this way but they aren't safe to approach armed or not.

To the south is a crashed space ship (50s looking flying saucer). The aliens are long dead but something about the ship whispers to people in their sleep and is gradually turning them into a new crew. Certainly the locals have basic metal work down pretty well which makes them more advanced than any other fuckers near by. But they won't spread or interact with outsiders because they don't want to leave the ship.

The central lands have evidence of some pretty impressive civilizations in the not very distant past. Just past living memory recent. They look to have been as grand as you can get without metal, maybe even rivalling Paris and Rome. The surviving local remnants don't know what happened beyond "everyone died" as their accounts are all over the place from zombies to dragons to angry gods to disease.

>To the south is a crashed space ship (50s looking flying saucer)

I want George Lucas to leave

I think I'm smitten.

>that book got a lot of flack for portraying the entire continent as a backwards setting with savage and bloody-minded indigenous inhabitants that encourage the PCs to wipe them out.
That's only Nexal and Kultaka, though. Payit is fine, the desert dwarves are fine. That city Halloran and his mates founded is fine.

Well yeah, it's a shitty fucking set, a shitty fucking plane and the same shitty level of fluff we've been choking down for the last decade. I can't imagine anyone "binding" themselves to it.

idk what you are talking about OP, this game is great

>hey guys what if we used this historical event for the basis of a setting
>umm sweaty didn't one group of people fight another group of people? how can you be so heartless?
Who the fuck are you people? What the fuck are you doing on this board for playing pretend when you are incapable of imagining even the slightest fucking artistic interpretation, especially considering how you don't even have a fucking clue about the historical events you claim are "too touchy"

have the right fucking idea. What kind of faggot looks at a historical conflict and just rejects it based on the fact that it involves one country invading another? WWII was WAY more recent than the fucking American expansion and we're still ok with painting every single rank and file Nazi as soulless raping genocide machines. But no, if we have a setting with white people opposed to brown people you faggots will just preemptively quake in your boots at the thought of the SJW shadow conspiracy calling you racist, this despite the fact that a high profile traditional game just released a conquistador expansion that was at the very least neutrally received.

Fuck you. Get the fuck of this site and go be useless sticks in the mud somewhere else.

I'd love it but the popularity would be low I think

The other kind of jungle fever

I mean, it brought some nice cards commander.... :v

It was also a complete clash of different styles of warfare.

The Aztecs had trained for decades to capture great warriors alive to sacrifice them to Huitzilopochtli later. A warrior was better regarded for the amount of living prisoners they captured than their kill list.

The Spanish, however, were in the process of perfecting the pike and shot style of warfare that would dominate Europe. They always aimed to kill. The Aztecs leaders also had huge banners attached to their backs, like Samurai Nobori, making them easy targets for snipers, rendering Aztec armies leaderless.

Clearly they were too stupid to be allowed to continue and their loss was no loss.

>not liking dinosaurs
Don't be so jaded.

>He doesn't like dinosaurs
Sad adults are sad.