Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

What was the last magic item you found that you were really disappointed over because your character couldn't use it?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/fr9piFCi
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

What are the top 5 best adventure paths that aren't RotR or CoCT.
I'm running a campaign for some students as an extracurricular club and want to offer them a choice of which setting they'd like.

>Thread Question
Only situation I can think of was when my Goblin Ranger found an enchanted Horsechoppah that would never break but it wasn't in my proficiencies to use it.
A slightly different example was how the entirety of that whole campaign the DM never once tossed a magical bow my way until the end when I got a +2 weapon when everyone else was rocking Dwarven Throwers and shit.

People seem to like Kingmaker, and Iron Gods. I hear a decent amount of chitchat about Jade Regent, Strange Aeons, Hills Rebels, and Giantslayer, but that may be because they are newer (outside of jade regent).

How's Mummy's Mask? One of the players is an Egypt freak so I feel it would be a good option to have on the list provided its not absolute trash.

>Mummy's Mask
Nothing but dungeon crawling.

Dang. That's a shame. Wadi looked like a really cool setting.

That's unfortunate to hear. I mean, dungeon crawling is fun but come on...they have to have seen an Indiana Jones movie, a lot of stuff happens in the cities and wilderness there.

Real new thread:

Reign of Winter is GOAT apart from the long tundra walk in the 5th book.

I enjoyed second darkness. Though you may want to up the dificulty a bit. From what ive heard the encounters are generally a bit too easy.

Do undead controlled by a necromancer 'die' if the necromancer is slain?

No, they become uncontrolled. This usually means they attack the nearest living creature.

Well shit, now i have to rewrite my backstroy a bit.

Thanks for the info.

No worries. I hope you have fun in your game.

I hope so too, this may be the first time i actually have a decent backstory, so i don't want to have impossible things in there.

My sword from the start of the game. That doesn't count, does it? Too bad. He had a sword he really liked. It wasn't an heirloom or something that had been gifted by a loved one or anything like that, it was just the sword he had always had, the one he'd fought so many battles with. It was as familiar to him as the hands that held it.

But when the magic plot sword came around, I had to switch weapons. No one else in the party could have used it.

I played the start of Mummy's Mask in an Aussie game I shouldn't have signed up for. The first thing you do in the game is get assigned a dungeon to crawl in and then go crawl in the dungeon. I can't vouch for because we didn't play further than that, but I guess it might set the tone for things. I'd suggest, if you really think your group might like Mummy's Mask, you should find the PDFs and skim them to try and see just how much dungeon crawling there is. Also, keep in mind that you can fiddle with it yourself and inject some non-dungeon crawling sections yourself, if you want.

Oh, and be careful with the "boss" of that first dungeon.

Kingmaker seems like it's the most controversial AP, at least around here. There's no middle ground on it, people either love it or hate it.

You can make up some contrived magical circumstances which would make a particular undead die if their necromancer is slain- for example, when the necromancer raised it he botched the spell slightly, creating the undead but instead of creating a proper animus for it of negative energy he tied it to his own soul with a cord of negative energy. Killing him would severe the cord and cause the undead to all limp like a corpse; in a sense it is more like an animated object than a true undead.

Ah it wasn't that important whether they died instantly or not, so i wrote it a bit differently.

What is a good backstory length? i'm currently at 2 pages/1200 ish words or so, and i think i covered what i wanted to.

As long as it needs to be. If you've covered what you think needs to be covered, you're good.

Thirteen pages, at least.

How do I make a char just like him?

Nah that's only if your DM has a fetish for reading a lot.

Sphere Bard

If you're apping to a game with other people, the GM will take a look at the length of your backstory, close the tab, then pick the person with the cutest anime girl avatar.

Cause remember, if it's a /pfg/ game there's guaranteed to be a minimum of 30 other apps

Oh its not for a pgf game, just a game with people i know irl

Then they're going to laugh at you for being such an autist to think you need a backstory longer then three to four sentences.

Thanks for the well though out reply, i appreciate the feedback you provide.

Two pages should be more than enough. IME most GMs won't even look at it anyway.

Idk, i hope the GM picks up on the hints that my parents may be vampires and does something with that.

If you want your GM to pick up on something, privately tell him some bullet points you want to emphasize.

Most GMs won't notice that stuff, or will assume something completely different from what you intended.

500 words.

Credit card description.

I think maybe 2 paragraphs is enough, user. Absolute max is one page, in my mind.

Speaking of backstories, is it better to write them in third person omniscient or limited? What about personality + physical description?

Sphere archetypes...meh.

Spheres is great if you want to get the minutia of stuff without any excess fat, if you don't mind a decrease in power.

So I saw the Long arm spell and I really would like it for my monk on an item on command.

So If I am reading this correctly. It's spell level, and caster level is multiplied by 2k? Meaning It looks something like this 1x1x2000. But then it says multiply again for spells with duration, so for min/lvl spells it's x2. So (1x1x2000)x2=4,000?

A friend of mine says you can get it cursed to reduce price but I don't see what book that is in? Plus I think it's kinda dumb to do. You ordered this custom made from some wizard somewhere with a curse why would that reduce prices?
What curse could I even get?

What slot should I get it put in? There is already an enlarge person necklace in play so I'd rather not use that or my gloves or boots. On the off chance I end up with the necklace if this other monk dies in play.

TL:DR Make sure I understand custom item creation math. And what book is cursed item creation in?

I'd say it depends on how you want to handle other NPCs introduced.

Oh, I love spheres, it's just the base conversions for the existing classes that are meh.

I ask as a player.

And it still applies. You're the one fabricating the NPCs in your backstory. How do you want them to be handled?

The Cursed intelligent Sword that my LG Monk picked up. It had an ego modifier that I had a lot of trouble dealing with, and a CE personality with the "Slay all" purpose. And it often assumed direct control.

It wasn't that it was unusable (it was possibly the best weapon we have ever had yet) but that my character ended up being the weapon and not the character. Threw that fucker into a portal where it couldn't teleport back.

NPC paladin we went to immediately afterwards face when he realized we goofed.

Do you mean "how much control do I desire over my backstory NPCs personalities and motivations" as a player?

Cheesing prices with restrictions and curses is bad form. I would never advise this. I'm on the toilet, so I'm not going to look up the item price.

I wonder who this sounds like.

That's how I feel too, no rush I'mma pass out but I can read what you write later if you feel up to finding it.

I mean, I feel like most of them are fine with the exception of Alchemist(more of a flavor thing) and Magus, because all the weird stuff going on with Spell Combat. Granted, I'm of the opinion Magus shouldn't have been a class in and of itself.

As far as Sphere Bards go, it seems fine. Changes spellcasting to sphere casting. What else could you want out of it?

Old Testament God?

You're supposed to take hats off when indoors

M'apologies

So! Of all the Duke's Coin apps, which ones do you hope make it into round 2?

Char Anzble or GM shuts it down.

>implying i know what you're talking about

What character are you excited to play/be playing, /pfg/?

Mine is a Tengu Rapier-wielding Infiltration Inquisitor with the Conversion Inquisition. His first 3 feats will be dedicated entirely to getting Fencing Grace. At that point he's basically a Rogue with spells and Solo Tactics, and a damn fun idea to roleplay

Pls no bully for not making an optimized build

>GM
Looks like I'll have to shut it down then.

What are the ways to boost a character's intimidate skill?

Not
So
Fast
Nerd!

The thing is that the "Sphere x" archetypes generally feel hamfisted for non-fullcasters, as "just directly change the casting" winds up feeling really dull and shitty compared to just taking a class designed for spheres, especially with the caster level scaling being fucked.

Make them bracers

>Be smart irl
>Be used to manipulate and threaten people
>Have a decent gm
>Roleplay intimidation attempts
>Swim in huge circumstance bonuses

We'll just have to stop you too then!

Even the full-casters are pretty bland. The wizard and witch are basically incanters with an extra class feature.

I really like to roleplay my Aasimar, though we haven't done much roleplay recently. Our sessions haven't been going well for about... 6 weeks now? 7, considering tonight's session is cancelled.

I've been wanting to play a ratfolk sniper (bow-focused cause guns are fucking trash) - his whole shtick is similar to the Skaven, in that they live underground and go largely unnoticed by surface dwellers, but instead of being evil cunts, they just don't have any magic in their society and decide the easiest way to deal with its prevalence on the surface is by shutting themselves off, sometimes sending scouts up (my character) to keep tabs on things. My guy's supposed to have gotten separated from his contact from back home and would travel with the party for protection.

+5 item. Ranks. Class skill. Decent cha or getting str to intim and decent str. Being a bard and boosting the proper perform. Being larger than your target.

The "unique" archetypes that aren't just straight conversions are way better. Divine Heratic Warpriest is pretty hype.

>Make character
>Realize I've just made Durzo Blint
Good thing nobody else has ever read those books.

My last backstory was nine pages because I went into detail about my characters family , profession, friends training and all that sure my back story could have been:
"My character was born to a Smithingfamily family but ran away to become a warrior and trained under a master swords man before setting off on his own"
BUT if that's all it had been I personally wouldn't have been having as much fun with the campaign. Several characters from my back story have shown up in game and have made impacts in the world. I told my DM I made a 9 page back story and offered a cliff notes version but he requested the full thing.

tldr
If you have a DM that will use it and like using it go all out. It will make the game feel more alive and seem like your character's history matters.

Barbecue of Burgeoning

This is a Legendary Recipe contains the details of crafting a meat based meal.

It requires meat harvested from Creatures Large Size or greater, And at least one sample of meat from the Dragon Subtype. In addition it requires 5000 gold pieces in exotic ingredients

Cooking the meal is a process that takes 3 hours, and Three DC 30 Profession (Cooking) Checks. Up to 4 Assistant chefs can assist in the cooking process, either with aid another checks, or if 4 total help, a +1 circumstance bonus to the primary chef's cooking check.

The arduous process of cooking the meal inflicts 2d6 non-lethal damage on each chef.

After the meal is cooked, One creature may consume this meal, which takes a full hour of constant eating, and will at the end of their meal increase one size category, Unless they are Gargantuan. The meal must be eaten in four hours or its effects are wasted.

Subsequent attempts to consume this meal are just as delicious, but does not increase size category again. It however increase the consumers weight by half, Locks them in at a Medium Carry weight, and reduces their speed by half for ten days.

>Living campaigns

How does that work?

If you already know infernal, is it useful to know abyssal too?

It doesn't.

terribly. seriously, just don't. they bring out the worst in people.

Abyssal is usually more useful, I think? Most things that know another fiendish language know Abyssal.

Why is it more useful? I don't think you can trust a chaotic evil outsider.

Is Dimensional Agility just enough to spellcombat teleport charge as a Magus?

shoulda mentioned mechanics

Wanted to make use of the overwatch feats, so I'd fluff him as an antimage sort since his people don't have magic - he recognizes when someone's about to do magic, and hits them with 4 arrows before they do it.

I am aiming for maximum punch-value

Mathematically speaking, which fighting style feats have the best DPR for an unchained monk?

Dragon Style, i'd bet. especially when combined with the Flying Kick Style Strike, high Strength, and Horn of the Chirosphinx.

>Unchained
You get more damage with CBR Monk master of many styles using Dragon (x2 Str on first attack, x1.5 on all), Janni (double damage on charges), Tiger (Power Attack penalty to AC instead of attack), Pummeling (full attack on charges) for example

My current paladin deals 1d8+21 per unarmed attack and makes 4 per turn, 5 if he spends ki. 9th level btw.

Got a question;

Warlord:
>At the start of the warlord’s turn, he chooses a single square adjacent to him. Until the start of his next turn, he and his allies can treat that square as if it was occupied by him for the purposes of flanking opponents.

Can the Warlord use this to flank by himself? Designate adjacent spot, 5ft step into flanking position.

If yes, does he add the improved attack from Outflank?

The GM and the GM's friends all cutepost and typefuck in a tavern. Someone might try and get a more substantial plotline going, but that's going to get nuked quickly by the inner circle once they realize it's drawing attention away from them. Occasionally the people with nothing better to do that day will actually run an adventure someone shat out, but only the popular kids are allowed to advance their character at all.

In the end, the best you can do is maybe make a few friends to drag out of that mess and talk about memes or shared interests in a side channel.

The one character I think I was consistently enjoying playing, roleplay and mechanics wise, was an Empiricist Investigator that was part of a game that's long since died. I'm sorta hyped to try a Strength-based Occultist I've been itching to play for ages, since it lends itself to a lot of cool little character quirks, but I don't think I'll get to play him anytime soon.

A damn shame my group doesn't into gestalt, since it might be cool to actually use Phantom Thief Unchained Rogue in combination with Occultist to pull off a legit Dex-occultist.

What weapon would you recommend if you already have two 1d4 claws (piercing and blunt, I think)?

And when they're not smiting?

> shitty compared to just taking a class designed for spheres
I disagree, Sphere Classes are dull as a rule because all their flavor and abilities for the most part comes from your spheres/drawbacks. That's the chunk of most of their stuff. I don't really get how "Bard with Sphere Stuff" is somehow more boring than "Bard with Vancian stuff", since that's the point of the conversion.

>he and his allies
Yes

Hi, /pfg/. I'm playing at a 16th-level oneshot table next month. I've got 315,000 starting gold and I want to make a wizard. So far, this is what I'm spending it on. Unfortunately, GM isn't allowing crafting (or any TPP stuff) so I have to buy everything the hard way.

Couple of questions I have:

1. Are Robes of the Archmagi worth it? Is there a better option for that slot?

2. I'm planning on using around 116,000 gold on four wishes to increase my intelligence by 4. Is that a worthwhile way to spend money?

3. Are there any other items I should consider? I'm probably going to get a Ring of Freedom of Movement and Gloves of Elvenkind so I can cast defensively at all times and can't be grabbed.

Without Personal Trail (Enlightened fist's smite that works on all alignments) and Divine Body I deal 1d8+6 (str)+6 (PA)+2 (AoMF)+2 (Brawling armor) = 1d8+20

Oh fuck, and now I realized that with Personal Trial and Divine Body I deal 1d8+25 not 21, I didn't count the AoMF and Brawling Armor in the first post.

SCROLLS
C
R
O
L
L
S

Also metamagic rods

Ok, I fucked the math, let me check

Without spells or limited uses powers
1d8+6 (Str)+6 (PA)+2 (AoMF)+2 (Brawling armor) = 1d8+16

With limited uses
1d8+16+3 (Personal Trial)+2 (Divine body)+4 (Divine Favor) = 1d8+25

Outflank too?

So I'm guessing your GM's not shafting you with the errata'd +3 cost of Brawling.

Eh, +16 seems bout right though. How are you getting 4 attacks though? 2 from BAB, 1 Haste, and Flurry of Blows from monk levels?

Sounds a lot like some of the non-"living" campaigns around here desu

Wait, brawling armor costs +3??!
No, we didn't know that, I still think that at 9th level I can pay for it though

2 per BaB, 1 per FoB, 1 per haste from our arcane caster and 1 per ki yes

Here we go, my conceptual level 5 gestalt build "Know it All":

Class: Disciple of the Pike & Order of the Hero Cavalier 5 || Mindchemist Alchemist 2 & Inquisitor 3 VMC Bard
Race: Elven Pitborn Tiefling

>Knowledge skills (when not identifying monsters)
5 (ranks) + 3 (class skill) + 4 (int) + 4 (minds chemist) + 4 (deific obedience irori) + 2 (bardic knowledge) + 2 (breadth of experience) = +24

>Knowledge skills (when identifying monsters)
5 (ranks) + 3 (class skill) + 4 (int) + 3 (mind chemist) + 4 (deific obedience irori) + 2 (bardic knowledge) + 2 (breadth of experience) + 4 (monster lore) + 2 (inquisitor FCB) + 2 (order of the hero) + 2 (disciple of the pike) = +34

>situational bonuses
Know the Enemy (spell, adds +10 to identifying monsters)
Illumination Inquisition (power, adds +1 to knowledge)
Cognatogen (power, adds +4 to knowledge because mindchemist)
Tears to Wine (spell, adds +2 to all int skills)

>Total possible bonus at level 5 w/ resources spent
+51 to identifying monsters
+31 to other knowledge checks

No longer will there ever be the issue of "does anyone have knowledge history" or "we don't know what kind of creature that is" truly the future is bright.

Now my question is, am I missing anything? Is there any other pierces of the puzzle I need t up this a little bit more?

It was errata'd, the errata is shit, feel free to ignore it.

Yeah, it was nerfed because Paizo hates martial arts, monks, brawlers and anything related to unarmed attacks.

you mean Paizo hates anything that isn't a caster.