Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

HALLOWEEN IS COMING POST SPOOKY SPACE IDEAS

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=cohxgOVcK8E

/pfg/ unified link repository (trove contains all current leaked PDFs in Starfinder folder): pastebin.com/fr9piFCi

/sfg/ unified link repository: pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NsZMbs5PC64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm interested in what kind of Bug race you wanted to make.

At the same time, I do like what they've done with the Shirren. It's good to have them as good guys right off.

So we have the plant race, fish race, and turtle race now? Am I missing any?

Do they all have stats or pdf's yet?

fish race is almost done
plant race has some fluff
turtle race has some fluff

the plant and turtle anons dont have PDF for their thing. ill pos tthe latest update to the fish, gotta chagne some stuff

ok latest update to nagarats is here, almost, finished.

changes:
1) added rules to chromatophore fins trait
2) clarified walk speed
3) added more graphics and pictures
4) added ships section
5) added asteria section (outline only)
8) lots of random editing and stuff

more work and discussion:
1) is the ship fluff ok? changes?
2) are the ship pics ok? post ones you want instead
3) ships need actual builds
4) asteria section is outline only, cyberpunk corporate fuedalism planet?
5) plant anons need to make a PDF so we can begin placing them in the system and making a Veeky Forums united setting/adventure. where do they live?
6) turtle anons need to do the same, where do they live?
7) some user didnt like abyssal monster in the deep oceans, do we not want those anymore?

as always, if you dont like something or want to add something i will change it.

Hey so I don't want to be an asshole. I realize I'm lucky to be getting free material before its official release, but LeakAnon, what's your new ETR for the Alien Archives?

I'm running out of official sci fi material for my campaign and I might have to put off my next session because of Paizo's stupid planning

Help me LeakAnon! You're my only hope!

Also, this is really great work man! I especially like the thought put into cities and SHARCs.

One minor criticism I have is that the Darker Side section doesn't read that well. Cut some of the lists and you're golden

>Darker Side section doesn't read that well
yeah its basically ctrl v from here so ill work on it some.
>Cut some of the lists and you're golden
which ones?

How do they walk 30, is it snake like movement?
Btw why diplomacy and intimidate and not diplo and bluff?

1) Ship fluff seems ok so far, paints a good picture.
2) First two seem good not so sure about 3 and 4. 3's mostly good looking but 4 doesn't quite look right for them.
7) I don't mind

Leakanon hasn't said anything for 3-4 days so I kinda hope they're working on it and it'll be this weekend but I mean... who knows

I want Leakanon to scrub my nipples!

Distress signal from a ship, you get to the ship and everyone on board is fine so it seems but their ship doesn't seem to be working but they're actually some kinda parasite or body snatcher kind thing. Either when you get back to your ship or wherever you're docking it registers unknown lifeforms onboard OR the power goes out and slowly the rescued die and you have to fight some fully grown parasitic alien or body snatcher.

It's a general idea but it's really all based on how you play/introduce it for how things work.

Why are the maps for the AP so slow to be released? Do you guys have good resources for maps? Looking for tiles especially, like pic related. Most sci-fi maps are terrible.

>How do they walk 30, is it snake like movement?
yep

I generally throw maps together with something like RPG Maker. There's enough resources out there that it's fairly easy to make maps for different genres.

Maybe they caught him attempting to leak.

My uncle works for Leakanon as a scrubber and he said that leakanon is sick of everyone's shit and is closing down operations.

The maps for the AP? I thought they were released over on Reddit awhile ago. I am newish to Paizo materials because I play 5e.

Do maps for the AP come out before the AP is released?

They only released a part of the maps, more will come in the next months.

They don't, ever. This was a one off from the artist for the 1st part of Dead Suns.

I'm not that guy, but I want to make mantis people. Mainly because they're a core race in my space opera setting and Starfinder gave me plenty of good analogues. I could just refluff the shirren, though

Threadly request for the most recent scenario, Scenario #1–04: Cries From the Drift.

Also requesting a PDF version of the Starfinder Condition Cards if it exists.

SF is big enough for more than one race of space bugs. go for it

>tfw papa asmo has been regulated to a minor deity
>tfw the only LE deities are a reptile and a Cenobite

I need more info on the Hellknight orders. Eclipse is looking promising.

Postponing your next session would be a shame. Just take shit from the PDFs already out, and reskin it to your needs. This grunt with a gun? Reskin as a giant hedgehog that shoots giant spikes.

Double post cuz newfag

>reddit spacing

honestly fuck you

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?

I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.

You are nothing to me but just another target.

I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words.

You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet?

Think again, fucker.

As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot.

The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life.

You’re fucking dead, kid.

I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands.

Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit.

If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot.

I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

youtu.be/NsZMbs5PC64

Does weapon specialization affect the Solarian's solar weapon?

Yes.

>mfw we are fighing a pirate attack on a derelict ship and i brought 7 extra magazines, but one guy in the party brought none as asks for one

He now owes you one clip, 5 drinks, and a footrub, what's so confusing about that?

That’s not confirmed... I may or may not be WAY more evil for your first mission

Kind of random question, but I love the starfinder alien archive and I've always loved monster manuals and bestiaries. I own most d&d mm's, what are some really interesting or obscure monster manual books from different games you could recommend if I wanted to start a collection? Looking to pick up the warhammer 40k dark heresy creatures anathema

Check out the PDF share thread. There is a whole trove with on bestiaries.

>Finally look through magic items and stuff today at work
>see Serum of Sex Change or whatever it's called
Oh, no! My fetish!

Anyone have a decent build involving the Themeless Theme? Only thing I can think of is a plucky halfling that just rerolls all day long.

A large cosmopolitan settlement has noticed a large spike in missing people and property damage. No one is sure why, until you notice a Shirren neighbor approaching their door in the dead of night with a full body jaw fully opened...

I find Shirren reconnecting to the hive friggin terrifying. And am not sure why theyre allowed.

>full body jaw
What

I mean... basically any build can take advantage of it.
One of my players uses it as a hacker and another as an engineer because for whatever reason the other starship positions weren't covered in themes.

Don't you have better things to be doing on company time, user?

Well, thanks for the boner.

There was a robot that popped up too, but hasn’t been seen in a while.

Please, don't continue

Nope!

anons im thinking about changing nagarta stats away from -wis cuz i want them to not suck cock at magic. if i were to do this, what should the new -stat be?
>Btw why diplomacy and intimidate and not diplo and bluff?
cuz they need to compete with lashuntas in the envoy role. indimidate was ponted out as being the major envoy skill for ship actions.

Inspired by the work of nagarta user and others, I took a stab at writing up some space amazons. Attached is the long version

tl;dr:
>The Nikeans: near-human, all female, tall and strong
>sharply divided between the patrician warrior-nobles and the plebian laboring class
>Children conceived via surgically created embryos. Those with money have theirs grown ex-vitro (the true-born) and enhanced with further genetic modification. those without the money give birth the old fashioned way (the free-births)
>+Str, +Dex, -Wis, 6 hp
>Patrician racials: bonus combat feat, +2 to athletics and acrobatics
>Plebian racials: bonus non-combat feat, +2 to one Int profession skill and one other Int skill
>true-born: can have one implant that doesnt occupy a system slot
>free-birth: automatically succeed at Aid Another checks if they have a rank in the skill

I am not settled on the current true-born and free-birth bonuses yet, so those may yet change. I wanted it to be on the weaker end, because their stat adjustments and hp are very good. The true-born bonus isn't very good right now, but it will become much more valuable as we have more augmentations to choose from. I'm really not sure if the free-birth bonus is any good or not, but it seemed appropriate.

-Con seems like it would make the most sense to me. Endurance is not something we typically ascribe to fish-people and mermaids. Strength would probably work too. I agree that -Wis doesn't fit them very well, as a race that managed to avoid fighting in the war between the pact worlds and the vesk via diplomacy.

A bonus to bluff instead of intimidate does line up better with the description in the Society and Alignment section, and how you describe them using their colorful fins to mesmerize others. If you really want to give them a bonus to intimidation, you should write something about what makes them naturally intimidating, or why they learn to be particularly intimidating.

yeah i think i agree with you user. -con it is. thnx user.

you should have drawn art instead of photos. those 70s photos are awful. also, no one will use your race if its naked fapbait. try to conceal the waifuism. what role does the race play in the actual game?

I'd like to ask the thread what they think would be a good way to use Gnolls IN SPESS!

I frequently used them as just a roving group the PCs me get come along, but can I still use that in Starfinder? How?

How does Space Travel affect their society? Obviously, there is still plenty of room for kidnapping and slavery, but is it possible for a Gnoll to go legit in the age of Space!Book? Do they even stay Matriarchal?

Some real animals are female-only and basically clone themselves in-utero, no reason for surgically created embryos.

Space gypsies.

i dont see the point of your race.
it isnt really even a race at all, its a wierd human culture.
make a human faction/nation/society instead of a race.

I've been pondering that same question user.
What I've come up with is something akin to firefly's reaver fleet. A mess of hodgepodge stollen ships with shotty "slap together two ships to replace the parts we blew of when we captured it" vibe to the looks. Keep them simple minded and slave happy. They may not know how to build this shit but they can sure use it to kill people and take their fancy spess shit. Have them make extensive use of talented slaves who Can and Must keep this shit running if they don't want to be eaten like the other useless lumps they picked up during their last raid. Now, that doesn't mean they do a good job, they're always low on parts and time cause their idiot taskmasters want that drift drive working NOW and couldn't tell a spanner from a torque wrench if they had a plasma pistol to their mangy heads. So you wind up with leaky hulls, shitty airlocks, exposed wiring everywhere and worst of all, radiation leaks. I could see the bright gnolls useing goblins, halflings or other small, low con races as coal mine canirys for rad leaks. The dumb ones get irradiated but shake it off longer than most thanks to higher con. But it makes them unstable, more like actual reavers (or 5th edd gnolls, edgy shits that they are) I'd keep with the cowardly bully motivation, overwhelming small targets in ambushes, raiding remote outposts and settlements. Hiding in inhospitable areas of space like asteroid belts and striking at targets of opportunity. Tactics focused on wearing them down so they can be boarded, overwhelmed and eaten. Flash frozen meat isn't as tasty as fresh, but it is more tender once it thaws. Also less chance of their small arms and supplies getting vented from a hull breach.

To continue,
I'd keep them matriarchical. I liked paizos take on gnolls a lot. It was very true to hyenas real world behavior without getting to magical relmy. With their propensity for lazyness i could see matriarchs commanding a few dozen smaller ships from either a captured moon base or carrier ship. Sitting in the lap of (gnollish) luxury while the males do most of the grunt work, or more accurately make the slaves do it. On raids they'd hang back and join the fray in time to drive home the kill. Using the more disposable males and crappy ships to probe the enemy for weakness, then exploit the hell out of it.
Religion wouldn't really need to change to much, females venerate lamashtu for obvious reasons. Using both their own strength and size as proof that the mother of monsters is more powerful than yeenoghu, whom the males venerate for the ferocity they are expected to show, being the tip of the clans spear.
Culturally not much would change, they've always been nomads, they just have much more space to roam now. They'd have to either get smarter and learn to pilot ships and fix things OR stop eating all their slaves when they get hungry. Something like branding the useful ones so others know not to snack on them could work. The clan taskmasters might actually be as important if not more so than the religious leaders, due to the real tangable results s/he gets out of the unwilling crew. Likely holding the rank of ships captain with several enforcers to ensure they can quell a mutiny on the vessel entrusted to them.
I could see them crusing slow through a system looking for distress calls, which must sound like dinner bells. Hopping down to an M class planet to blast a heard of some local grazers to fill the holds with meat. Looking for broadcasts of ships or colonies, assessing them from afar or sending a small ship to land and deploy scouts to recon and see what they're up against before committing their forces.

>That’s not confirmed... I may or may not be WAY more evil for your first mission
kaleb spacedemon captain vs rival spacedemons confirmed

I have a question for all of you. In my weekend group we defeated an android and the aftermath caused a bit of an argument between one of our mechanics and the others. It boils down to what is the UPB value of an android body. The gm and the rest of the party "talked" him out of melting the body due to how evil an act it would be on top of various android factions making him target #1 but the question remains.

Should it be a percentage of the android's body weight or should a value be assigned to the body (perhaps increasing with level) and then use the 10% recovery amount as with other items.

I'm hoping for an answer to this because another idea I had would be to use this as a hook for a cult based on freeing the souls within the androids or using them to fuel some ritual and using the resulting UPBs to fund their operations. Bonus evil points for doing it while the android is still functional. Pic related.

Also I apologize if this was already answered in an earlier thread that I missed.

None, androids are replicants and aren't made of universal polymers.

I'm new to starfinder, making a level 1 operative and wondering besides a weapon and armor are there any essential items to pick up? toolkits, a comm unit, any other stand outs?

>Attacking colonies
You know, that seems like a very likely thing. Especially with so many if them being so separate from others, and probably plenty of fly-by-night operations promising people homes and riches.

Do you think they'd actually be able to hold a planet, or would that just invite Starfinders to them?

So... one of my PCs is a Soldier, an Android. They don't seem to get involved much, they just really shine in combat. They're not the 'bad' type of this, trying to kill anything in sight, but they DO seem very combat focused. How can I encourage them to start playing more with the story and a bit of creativity?

Do you call the police or the dog catchers?

Have an NPC talk to them and ask open-ended questions. Something as simple as "Dude, where did you get that gun? Do you like it?" And build from there.

First thing I would say is a hideaway limb. A datajack is never a bad idea either.

Tips for building an exocortex mechanic?

Get a very large gun, enjoy your free mod slots. Not a whole lot to it, really.

Heavy weapons a good idea to invest in?

They're handy, but you can do just fine with your free longarm proficiency/specialization if you have other ideas.

>I'm interested in what kind of Bug race you wanted to make.

Frankly, I wanted to make a race of pacifist beetles who are surreptitiously engineered by their planet to become unparalleled stewards and caretakers for it, and any other planet they inhabit. Exceptional agriculturalists, very strong miners, they supplement their horribly short lifespans with extensive cybernetics, and in fact are on a journey to fully digitize their race to both achieve immortality, and fully separate themselves from consuming the natural resources of their worlds to become true Gardeners.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm not talking about a unique race, but a colony of Shirren on a planet that's been subtly manipulating them. Still, I rather like the idea of a +Str/+Wis/-Int race of peaceful bugs with vicious rending claws and hardened carapaces.

Ten days before release, and we've got the index and a couple monsters that were in GTM. Any other leaks of Alien Archive content that I've missed?

Not much. But we'll get it soon enough.

At this rate by the time it leaks I'll have already bought the book.

Maybe. But that's not too far away.

HOW DO I BUILD NPC SHIP CREWS GOD DAMNIT

exo mechy are the best tanks in the game.
take shields and drone armor

can anyone tell me how the fuck they got these skill bonuses for the crew?

Look at page 326, "Crew Level"

Mind reposting the index?

if by tank you only mean survive attacks.
For protecting others Guard Soldier still beats them.

Sweet thanks

And here's the GTM section.

>Look at page 326, "Crew Level"
so the way i am reading this, a NPC master pilot does not get a bonus for being in a ship that give a bonus to pilot.

Yes, they do, it's just already built into the skill bonus listed in the sample starship builds.

oh, youre right, im bad at math.

right now the Stats for Ships involving gunner are like 9+(1.5*tier) which means they rarely miss but are easy to hit, which is an odd balance. Itll be FAQ'd soon.

so does a pilot in a interceptor use his pilot check or gunnery check to shoot people? (with -2 for snap shot)

Gunnery

christ, this game makes no sense.

right?

>right now the Stats for Ships involving gunner are like 9+(1.5*tier) which means they rarely miss but are easy to hit, which is an odd balance. Itll be FAQ'd soon.
so.... the gunners are OP as fuck due to unexplained bonuses to their gunner check and NPC interceptors are shit compared to fighters as a result?

It comes without warning, without mercy, and as sudden as a Jump. We were but a bulk hauler, a weight of refined armor plating was in our hold going from our commercial base to a distant shipyard, I was second after the Shipmaster and so the sleep-watch was mine to command. It was quiet, a watch of no remark until near the time for the rest of the crew to rise and they were upon us; four ships, battered and bent, a group of rogue militants who decided to steal their ships and turn pirate.
Our light weaponry was nothing to such ships and so the shipmaster was alerted and ordered us to drop our cargo and allow them to board. It was as we watched their shuttles approach that it happened; It was perfect stillness for moment, then there was a sudden mark on the scanners, a new ship we thought was more pirates, but the position was all wrong and it did not answer when the shipmaster hailed.
It was heavily shielded, its form hidden behind an intense glow, and suddenly it kicked a massive exhaust behind it like a rail of blue fire and it screamed down onto the pirates. It was among them like a Terror Bird from the home world maneuvering like it had no mass, as if the laws of motion were ignoring its presence. It fired, a blast of flame burning from the beak-like prow; weapons that did not burn and crackle over the comm speakers like plasma, the armor of the enemy ships did not burn off like a laser; but like the finger of a deity it ignored the shields of the pirates and simply removed sections of their hulls. We could see the bodies and debris poor from the smooth rents. And it glowed, it glowed so bright my second eyes lost their vision and so I used my first eyes to watch as the shape became wreathed in fire, consuming the flotsam and every missile launched toward it with a cursed flame.

It was then that I finally focused my eyes down to the sensors and saw them display Shivalis Alshiar; over and over again on all visual displays was that same message; Shivalis Alshiar.
The glow increased in intensity and consumed the last of the broken ships. Then suddenly our whole ship groaned with sudden gravitational sheer as the Shivalis lowered its shields with a wave of plasma. That was when I commanded the bridge viewer to focus; it was small, made bigger only by the trick of space, for there no more than six heckts away there was no mistaking that massive armored prow, the plates of blackened battle steel hanging heavily; a jaw ready to open at any second-like a predatory avian. Behind that wicked shape was the of the rest of the ship, curved menacingly back and up inspiring further the form of a bird of prey with black shining beak. It turned and point its beak as us then, the glowing orbs of its weapon emitters flickering and building power to remove the last target it could see; us.
The shipmaster then knew what was now the only other ship near us was not of this world and even that hardened soul knew fear as he ordered the engines to full power and we streaked away from that cursed spot, praying to the deities that the blood thirst of the Shivalis was sated.

And that, young ones, is the day I saw this ship you say doesn’t exist. For things sent from the darkness to test us on our path exist, and that demon ship, that is the test for those who dare the void realm of the gods.

What if they started civilized and evil but were crushed by the pact worlds, so now they are forced to live as constantly moving colonies that fight for what they have. Then the tribes could each be a large pirate-like organization by circumstance with a wide variety of personalities, even with infighting and trying to find peace with the pact worlds they historically hate.

>Session 1
FUCKING COLONY IS UNDER ATTACK OH GOD

>Session 2
Barely make escape from colony on stolen ship, likely everyone the party ever knew is dead. While reflecting on this in drift space... The drift engines malfunction.

>Session 3
Party is lost in space find a derelict carrier drifting in the black void of space. Board the ship to salvage it for parts from any smaller ships found on board... Also shit goes down on the carrier.

Is this a good idea for a beginning of a campaign?

How are you going to make a drift engine malfunction issue cover the length of an entire session?

Drift engine malfunctions are amazing. Typical sci-fi has FTL travel bend space to make the two points you're traveling between closer together. Starfinder FTL travel has the PLANES bend to distort the concept of space itself. Drift drives can suck in nearby objects (including ships), and perhaps suck in objects from planets in the same 'location' within that plane.
Not to mention objects that die within the void are turned into some drift-zombie abominations. Being stuck in the void is rad - void zombies, extra-planar beings, others lost in the drift trying to find a way out of it, etc.

NPCs kinda dont play by the same rules as PCs. Most monsters have high bonuses to attacks with low armor, while PCs have (relatively) high AC with much lower bonuses to attacks. Like a tier 1 dude having something like +8 to attacks.

Haunted O'Neil cylinders. Witches flying around in the null air in the center reanimating the floating corpses of the cylinders previous occupants and launching them at the party making their way through the spooky space suburbs.

Wish Leakanon had at least posted the EAC/KAC of CR20 creatures so we'd have something to theorycraft against.