EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Never Forget Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Who's your favorite artist? What potential commander do you wish said artist had illustrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/99-problems-but-a-phelddagrif-aint-one/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/artifacts-offend-the-gods/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/alesha-but-from-scratch/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-is-the-stax-iest/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

as good as adam rex's art on oona is, i really wish rebecca guay did it instead.

>Thread Question: Who's your favorite artist? What potential commander do you wish said artist had illustrated?
John Avon. I wouldn't really care for him to have done any of my commanders though, I just love his lands.

Goblin tribal; Grenzo or Wort Raidmother?

Been playing Krenko for a few years. It's fun but burns out fast. I need more draw power and/or ramp.

how do you guys decide on a commander

I've gone from WBRG to WRG to WG and haven't liked any of the commanders I've tried. I think I suck at deckbuilding for EDH first and foremost so my decks don't consistently do anything. Are there articles on how to build better EDH decks?

I am now sad that this didn't happen. Damn you, I had never considered that.

Wort. The extra color and the ability to play GR spellslinger is interesting.

no but let me give you a tip.

if a card isn't helping you, or working for you. Take it out of your deck. Then play it a few more times and see how it works.

That's how you deckbuild.

I want to make a Black Knight deck with Haakon, but not sure what else to do with it aside from the usual tribal stuff. I know it'll be janky as hell, but I feel it needs a subtheme or something. Ideas?

dickride edhrec or learn the popular strats in other formats to see what kind of playstyle you like then ask what commanders do that for edh

better deck building comes with better game knowlege, a new player sees divination and thinks its a better card than serum visions

>Who's your favorite artist? What potential commander do you wish said artist had illustrated

I wish that OG Marchesa had art of her actually doing anything like her card implies she would (raising the dead or dethroning bitches). Instead she looks older and uglier than she does in her new art. Regardless of what it was, Rebecca Guay doing it would be fucking fantasitc.

God, I wish Rebecca guay would do kaalia and every creature that goes in there. She's so perfect.

Is it atleast in part Red? Yes? I'll play it.

I think my only deck that doesn't have Red is Isamaru, and that's more of a joke deck.

>Guay for angels, demons, and dragons
>not Nielsen

God, I wish Basandra had been a good card. That art is painfully wasted.

I'm not trying to be an edgelord, but Harold McNeill. His art is just so fucking cool and doesn't look like anything else. I wish he could still do art.

I want to make a green/white Horsemanship deck.
What commander should I go with?

>>Guay for angels, demons, and dragons
she makes nice Vampires too

Yeah everything about the card looks great but it's just another red/white "combat matters" legend

I really like how horriby, intentionally edgy daarken's artstyle is, he's no guay or nielsen but shit man I still think he's a decent digital artist with his own distict style.

Agreed. It's really a shame about the whole "Such a nazi it seems like a parody" stuff because his fantasy stuff is usually beautifully shadowy and ethereal without being unable to be 'read' as representational art unlike, say, Drew Tucker's abstract pieces. I don't know about commander... Maybe Lazav could have been his iconic cloaked shadowdude... but I wish he could illustrate a fistfull of black or otherwise sinister instants, sorceries, and enchantments.

Wizards is the company that hired a black "consultant" when they were fleshing out the story for Kaya from the Conspiracy set so we can be absolutely sure that we'll never see art from Harold McNeill again.

And yeah, some of the stuff on his website is so stupid you almost can't believe you're looking at it.

>Thread Question: Who's your favorite artist? What potential commander do you wish said artist had illustrated?
Nils Hamm
Wish he'd done Saskia. Her art would actually stand out for something other than the copypasted goons.

He is one of the best mtg artists of all time, no doubt.

Harold McNeil, Drew Tucker, Brom, Quintin Hoover, the older ones are many of the best. Puddnhead and Thomas M Baca were pretty sweet too.

+1
Nils is the best current mtg artist.

how does one play 5c spellslinger?

I want to play pic related and I'm curious how other people are running him

I love Brom so much. He's one of my favorite artists just in general.

my Phel deck,

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/99-problems-but-a-phelddagrif-aint-one/

Tips/necessary inclusions for a guy making Golgari artifacts with Glissa, the Traitor as the commander.

Had a couple sweet games yesterday, felt I should share.
>Game 1, My Sydri deck vs New Odric, Rhys, and Dino King
>I drop a bunch of rocks, Dino ramps, Rhys does token Stuff, Idric kept a 0 land hand (he does nothing all game)
>Dino guy taps out and plays Miraris Wake, threatening his commander into the exposed Odric next turn
>I cast new draw 7 off my rocks, find and cast Winter Orb
>Table tried to curb stomp me, jokes on them I can still cast spells
>Drop to 13, then wrath and cast Sydri and Caltrops for the combat lock
>Kill everyone 20some turns after the Orb with animated Gilded Lotus and copies of it
>End the game at 37

Was good stuff playing the archenemy, but that deck needs a faster killcon that isn't an infinite combo. I have Kozilek2 but feel like I need something like Inkwell Leviathan. Suggestions?

Thornbite staff. Because you're playing Glissa might as well go the whole nine yards with degeneracy.

>Game 2
>Odric and Dino's stick around, I switch to my Ramis ramp/good stuff list, another guy shows up with Hokori (2 other players were there too but they left in the middle)
>Oh boy time for a taste of my own medicine
>Hokori goes all in on artifct mana, Dino's gets a board and his commander out
>I draw Fracturing Gust, ruin Hokoris day, he casts commander in retribution
>I make deal with dino guy, he kills other 2 players before me in exchange for me doing whatever I can to help him
>jokes on him I'm screwed
>Finally drop Defiler of Souls, kill 3 guys with it, hokori kills it
Hokori is also a tool saying "you forgot the trigger", even though I said it like a half dozen times before his turn, no I have to pause him in his upkeep instead of socializing, old faggot. He acquiesces in the end tho.
>Dino guy forces hokori to chump with his commander, allowing me to set up Fist of Suns
>Hokori drops Elesh Norn to stem the bleeding after Dino guy played wrathasaur to wipe out the field
>I cast clever impersonator to copy the wrath Dino and kill Norn and play a random dude, Dino guy finally kills the other 2 leaving me alive due to my political maneuvering
>At like 12 at this point, Dino guy has a bunch of 7/7s and other assorted bad Dinos
>Using Fist, I cast Bolas Planeswalker, stealing his commander, and another random Fatty
>Trade with his guys, Steal another one of his dudes and send his commander in to trade with his guys
>Make good blocks, kill one of his lands to keep him off 12 to recast his commander, then drop Novablast Wurm
>Attack, kill his board, he scoops when he draws nothing
Always play politics kids.

Deck? I have no clue how to build Hermione Granger.

Basically I play all the good mana Rick's (and plenty of bad ones), X-spell card draw/big draw, and counter magic, winning through either Mycosynth Lattice killing their lands, Winter Orb being orb, or assorted beatdown once I have control. Typically most people concede so I haven't really needed a way to ever actually win.

It's hella fun, but admittedly scoops to a early/midgame mass artifact kill spell. But once you cast your first draw spell for a good amount you should be in the clear.

I have a 5c Karona deck. It includes about 20 wrath effects + ways to recur spells + utility and draw + a couple insta-win combos. I try not rely on permanents as a number of my wrath spells hit artifacts and enchants in addition to creatures.

Green/blue are the primary colors because they help me ramp and dig for answers early in the game. White is next for the wraths, black is next for tutors, and I barely run any red cards. Ramp is mostly land-fetching cards like Rampant Growth and Harrow. There are about an equal number of ramp cards as digging cards like Brainstorms, Impulses, and Worldly Counsels. A few permanents like Rhystic Study and Mirari's Wake are worth the risk that I blow them up, usually because someone else beats me to it.

It plays like a control deck and it helps that my Commander has haste and hits like a truck. I'm not sure how Ramos would fare with this shell because he needs to stick.

Post 'em birds and gulls.

Just finished my Atraxa deck because of the new legendary rule. Ulting Jace, Cunning Castaway with Doubling Season out into unlimited tokens is fun.

Even before Wizards went full SJW, McNeill would be the kind of person a corporate entity wouldn't like to be affiliated with.

well damn, that sounds pretty spot on for what I was thinking of doing with Ramos. I just want a mecha dragon at the helm of my deck

got a list for Karametra?

What's your Atraxa deck like? I'm building one right now myself.

been debating what to add to breya on top of combo. I'm playing around with a control-shell, but combo/stax sounds fun...

I just don't want 2 stax decks. My group already hates me.

Also: because you'll have fewer permanents than most people, you want spells that have BIG effects when they resolve.

For instance, despite my best efforts, I take a lot of damage when people focus me down and I have no blockers. I have exactly 2 cards which gain life: Invincible Hymn and Beacon of Immortality, both which can easily gain me 40+ life and are easily tutored.

Oh and Fated Retribution is secretly the best card to tutor up with Mystical Teachings

Sure. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/artifacts-offend-the-gods/

Its based around playing the best possible cards and keeping the curve low. The goal of the deck is to ultimate any of the Planeswalkers with emblems as they end the game if it happens.

Kambal would be a better commander for your tax deck.

We run him in the 99. I just really like having exile in the command zone.

Hell yeah the last few cards I need for my.naya deck got here today from TCG, stoked to try it this week. Gonna put together a bigger cart this week with some.more expensive stuff to really upgrade my existing decks I think

Could someone please help out with my Alesha hatebears deck? At this point I have stared at this thing too long and I cant tell what is good and what is bad anymore. All I need to do is move cards from the maybeboard into either the main deck or the bin but I cant even manage that anymore. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/alesha-but-from-scratch/

I never got the point of 1v1 decks, still gotta work my mizzix deck tho so its more spellslinger and less combo

List for Gisela?

I would love a Seb McKinnon Ayli or a Stephanie Law Azami. Or just for Stephanie Law to have done more Magic art. I love her work on L5R and Blue Rose.

Yep. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/boros-is-the-stax-iest/

if you cast a spell without paying its mana cost can you overload it? can you pay additional kicker costs or can you cast the kicked version without it?

If you cast a spell without paying its mana cost you have the option to overload it by spending mana. Not sure about kicker.

>if you cast a spell without paying its mana cost can you overload it?
No, Overload is an alternative to the normal mana cost, and cast without paying already does that.
>can you pay additional kicker costs or can you cast the kicked version without it?
You can pay kickers to get their effect, they are additional costs (not part of/alternative to the mana cost) so they aren't covered by cast-for-free but can still be done.

>popular strats

>'Glissa'
>implying Gisa is a problem

Nielsen is one of my favorites too.

When I started, I really loved Jason Chan, and I discovered that because most of my favorite arts were from him.

Nope. If an effect says you can cast something without paying its mana cost, you can only cast it that way.

You can pay additional costs, like Kicker or Buyback, but not alternative costs, like Overload.

>Thread Question
Terese Nielsen, ez.

I tried making Basandra work once with token spam and silly shit like Crescendo of War, Master Warcraft III, and Angel's Trumpet. It worked occasionally, but I got so frustrated with "the Boros card advantage problem" that I gave up after a few matches. Going into topdeck mode after turn 5 kinda sucks ass. I'll probably attempt it again some day.

Technically, most Boros legends care about your own combat step. Basandra is more about forcing attacks, so she's different from other Boros commanders in that you need to plan for defense as well as offense.

Add:
Duplicant
Linvala
Merciless Eviction
Mother of Runes
Utter End
Vandalblast

Would bin the rest.

Are you a moron, user?

How do you guys order the amount of counters, tokens, tokens with X counters and X new tokens with Y+Z counters you generate in Mazirek?
D20s on everything?

For years I thought corrupted Glissa was a lamia due to how tiny her artwork is on the card and only a few weeks back did I first see this art in larger size.

I still can't believe it.

damn I wonder what this says about me as a deck builder

Man, Glissa's story is sad. She basically gets fucked out of becoming a planeswalker, gets the blame for all the bad shit she worked to stop, then gets turned into a villain by the Phyrexians.

Grimlock, the werewolf/transformation general we need.

Get 3-5 tokens of every kind your deck produces, get a bunch of D6s in 2 different colors to indicate number of tapped and untapped tokens of each kind and get a third and/or dice block in yet another color to track separate counters.

You understand the BR CMC sweet spot.

stupid question, but how do you get that info?

its on the side on tappedout when you have a deck loaded up

only one of those is BR and its the 3.48

That's basically the Golden Ratio of mana curves.

I have a storm deck with 3.03 avg cmc
I have a control "go tall" deck at 3.87
And 2 normal value-based decks both at exactly 3.44

>tfw your average CMC gets fucked up by split/aftermath, X spells, Overload, etc.

Can't trust it.

What's a good number of token generators and anthems to have in a token deck?

Depends on the commander and what you intend to do with your tokens.

Has anyone got a spicy Sen triplets decklist?

Holy shit I'm not the only one.

Brago, flicker ETB generators like no tommorow.

what does spicy mean?

does it mean less than optimal if it runs cute cards instead of esper control staples?
does it mean everything is a staple minus 2 cards that are the spicy tech?

what does it MEAN?

Not the user you're replying to, but I usually assume it's your second option.

I think spicy means something interesting or fancy. I mean when I first figured out that Whitemane Lion acts as a repeatable instant speed white Rampant Growth in Karametra I considered it "Spicy".

Could be wrong though.

well shit then every deck I make is spicy
feels pretty gud

How do I create a good mill deck?

infinite mill combo + tutors

But it has to be with Oona or a Leyline of the Void. If an opponent has a Titan you're pretty much fucked.

Alternatively you could run Lazav and not so much mill them out but use their mill to hit them in the face.

I fail to see how any mill deck could possibly be better than winning the same way with an izzet rituals + blue suns zenith

You mill yourself with someone like Tasigur or Sidisi or Lab Man

is everyone else as rusted as i am that isn't legendary?

Because some people don't want to see Izzet durdle for ten minutes before then go, "okay everyone draw ten thousand cards"

fuck, that was supposed to say rustled

well I feel the same way but a "good" mill deck is going to be doing the same way

if youre just playing shit like consuming aberration (cute and fun card in my own opinion) its not going to be very good

What are your top 3 red mass removal?
>Blasphemous Act
>Star of Extinction
>Chain Reaction

it can still be a pauper commander

>Repercussion + B-Act.

It removes everyone! Including me!

>Volcanic Vision
>MIzzium Mortars
>Hour of Devastation

Not if you have Glacial Chasm out.

Blasphemous Act
Vandalblast
Arcbond

Would be cool, but it would kinda spoil it for the other formats it is designed for. Definitely intended to be a solid limited card where they'd like you to be able to have more than one on the battlefield.

That said, I really, really want to build a Dimir deck with my latest pirate foils, plus my love for Faeries/Rogues/Pirates/Ninjas (and the snazzy foil hostage taker I opened at pre-release). But everything just seems a little weaker than other decks that already exist. I was thinking maybe Vela for bounce and control mechanics since my group really, really likes boardwipes and 1 hit k/os with their commanders. Does anyone here have a solid Vela deck?

Undead Alchemist.

Either you exile problematic cards before comboing off, or you cast Lazav and chunk them with traumatize. My idea of a Mill deck is a little different: the objective isn't to deck them, but to disrupt them with your library fuckery until you get rid of some of their key cards. Fraying Sanity, Mindcrank + duskmantle guildmage, or dumping mana into Oona work well. My favorite interaction is getting Sphinx's tutelage + jaces erasure to set up some fuckery, then wheel them with a dash of trepanation blade and Mirko Vosk until they run out of lands.

You won't win against a group, but you can make one player VERY sad.

>Jokulhaups
>Obliterate
>Ashling the Pilgrim, gone critical.

Why don't you just I don't know, loop with altar of the brood? You're milling and winning.