Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

Iron Warriors BTFO edition

>Previous
>Warhammer Community news(New releases for the Death Guard: Multipart Plague Marines and new characters)
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/07/new-releases-for-the-death-guard-multipart-plague-marines-and-new-characters/

>Daily Duncan Playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=7Jui-2YiU-c&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Downloads#warhammer40k

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=274
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How does it feel to be second to The Guard?

Khorne waifus > All other Waifus

How did your games go today?

I lost to a guy that I think is becoming a waacfag.

When the Genestealer Cults get lose Doctrines, the Tyranid tears will sustain me for weeks, maybe even months. I shall descend upon this board like a wolf upon a lamb, and bask in the unending impotent rage that this board will pump out. I will gaze upon the suicide threads and rage posts, and drink deep of their whining. When they actually start livestreaming their own suicides and self-mutilation, I'll know true ecstasy.

I don't think my penis will ever be harder than it will be when a million Genestealer fags cry out in itty bitty penis fury simultaneously.
They'll try to convince themselves it is not long till their codex. They'll try to convince themselves that the GW had pulled a fast one on them.

"We will riot!" They will say. "Boycott FAQ" “We wuz Guard" they will cry.

Time will pass, and they will do nothing because they only talk. They are too cowardly and weak to do anything.

But best of all, none of their bitching will balm the pain of knowing that their factions, their dudes, will go down in history as an embarrassment, as an amusing footnote at best, as the shitty Genestealers who were never as good as guard. The entire playerbase KNOWS that Guard is overpowered and that the other factions need buffs. But all this only drives home just how little GW think of Genestealers. After all the bullshit, they couldn’t care less about your factions.

When the Genestealer players come to this realization, they shall know true, soul-crushing, all-encompassing despair. Exquisite shall be their pain. I will look into their eyes and watch their spirit break, and won't reach my climax a moment sooner.

I need to fap.

>jobbing to ratlings
lmao

Eh i played the worst version of Marines last edition so playing second fiddle to other imperium is kind of my thing i think

6rd for chaos

They'll keep Chaos Knights in the index. Or in "free" data sheets in White Dwarf, which will eventually have matched play points in Chapter Approved.

They can't pleasure you like Slaaneshi Waifus.

>Bitterness Intensifies

Better than waking up knowing I'm a Guardfag.

They said what was ok for the Crons? Using another army's doctrines?

There's artwork showing Death Guard wreking Tau.

Take a long look in the mirror before you say that

If by Pleasure you mean make me hopeless addicted to Dopamine then i think ill pass my dudette

Did we get an update on the pdf?

>They said what was ok for the Crons? Using another army's doctrines?

No, they said making up your own until the codex comes out is fine if your mates agree to them. But using an existing one is a fairly reasonable place to start.

It's Vladimir's birthday today, we should wait for tomorrow.

Oh so you're playing Narrative Play?

nothing like being violently pounded in the kidneys until you climax blood

There's a minor blurb about normal Tau vs Guard shit being interrupted by Death Guard. Not shit about an entire expansion fleet being nommed by stinky marines.

And literally nothing to back it up in the DG codex

>if your mates agree to them
This is the biggest part of this IMHO. Always consult your friends/Opponent

What's the difference between Fire Warriors breacher teams and strike teams? Looking at them in the store and it looks like the only difference is one has a missile turret.

Nevermind then, the rumour mill got to me.

Hey you just never experienced a perfect Khorne Waifu. They are perfect in everyway

Different weapons.

I was excited to read the DG Codex, expecting to see some sort of new rivalry form. T'au and DG. But nope, nothing to add depth to that art piece.

Breacher=Pulse blaster
Strike=Pulse rifle/carbine

Killing for Khorne is also just getting addicted to Dopamine, and only finding it in violence, you just don't moan from it. It is the difference between BDSM and base jumpers, same reaction, different way to get it. I will say though, Khorne waifus are still dang good, nothing wrong there, just preference, at least they aren't nurgle waifus. This chick prefers not to get 10,000 STD's being near a waifu gifted by my god.

I imagine it's something like this?

Someone said early in the last thread they were converting the EPUB, but that was hours ago

eh, two of my armies are getting books within the month, so atleast one of them will be better than guard, shortly.

>prefers not to get 10,000 STD's being near a waifu gifted by my god.
Atleast we can agree on one thing user

>Always consult your friends/Opponent

Correct, in my group we've just not been using Relics or Strats unless both armies have a codex out.

But making some up or using other's as a stand in would probably be a lot more fun.

So, user, what are you thinking of this Death Korps list aside from me being a FW nazi
Bullgryns be Bullgryns and get up close, Infantry Squads give me firepower, Basilisks and Quad Launchers shell everything with the Master of Ordnance at their side for those sweet re-rolls of 1s (Flamers on the Basilisks to help them a bit against charges, although they should be quite secure in the backfield, screened by Conscripts). Death Riders charge forward and fuck shit up with their lances. Combat Engineers press forward in their transport to fuck up enemies with the acid gas bomb, mostly. Hellhound for support, and because I had the points, I guess. The Lascannon teams to have a somewhat reliable answer to heavy armour.

>Playing 40k for fun

Fuck off, this is a serious game for serious people.

Strike teams can still have like 14 dudes, in case you got an old box (lol @GW saying that they are phasing out options not supported by current sprues) while breachers get 10.
They have different guns. Breachers get different helmets, backpacks, and shoulder pads, too.

Fuck off shitler

Sorry user.

And that's totally cool and awesome, but personal houserules should probably not have a place in online discussion about Rules.

A striketeam box can make either Breachers or Firewarriors and their drones/turrets. Breachers are CQC shotgun type dudes and Firewarriors are riflemen, if you intend on picking up a strike team consider the start collecting box as it is great for starting a tau army

Yep. My breachers love being able to shoot in melee

So for my Scions I'm doing a sorta medieval inspired theme with them. Just a headswap with free guild heads with the fancy hats, mostly. Maybe some some other bits too.

For my crusaders I was thinking of picking up some greatsword torsos, slapping them on Skitarii legs and...i hadn't decided on a headswap yet. Any ideas?

you open to 3rd party?

>personal house rules
>something GW came up with and endorsed themselves on their facebook page

I mean, it's a stretch for him to apply the Necron thing to GCS, but it's not exactly houserules either.

It wouldn't hold up in a tournament probably, but would probably be fine in a pickup game.

So, My first 8th Edition Guard Game. I loved my guard in 7th and while I know I shouldn't complain given the power spike, I still find myself unsatisfied with the changs to tanks and th vanquisher in particular. Bring facings back! Make the Vanquisher better at tank duels than the Battle Cannon! GW please! But all that said, I have no issue with feilding my Vanquishers as battl tanks. Especially given that the vanquisher can fire battl cannon rounds in th lore (See Macharius Heavy Tank). Despite being in the hobby for about 2 years now, this is actually only my 10th or 11th game ever since I tend to be more painter than gamer.

So Today I visited the shop, pickd up the book, and imediately secured a game with a Space Marines player using Raven Guard tactics. I learned some valuble lessons from the fight.
A few Notes before we begin:
>I am still learning and make a shitton of mistakes All the time.
>I do not use conscripts. This is a professional army of professionals and standards. I'm not judging people for taking them; It's just a personal rule of mine.
>This game is a casual "shoot each other until one side stops moving" game to try out units and strategies.
So! Here's how it went:

>but would probably be fine in a pickup game.
If that pick-up game is Narrative Play, sure.

>Ratted

Maybe, it's been a while since I've been to my FLGS. I was looking at these, actually, or the hooded ones. puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=274

But that's ten bucks for 10 heads not including shipping. Whew.

First lesson I learned that has been beaten into me by three consecutive games of forgetful idiocy: If I am to remember what I am fielding, EVERYTHING MUST BE WYSIWYG! I have not completed my Techpriest, so I figured I'd use my one spare commissar. Fast forward three turns into the game proper and I realized I had deployed my Techpriest as a commissar and used him as a commissar because, well, he looked like a commissar. Dumbass! At least Commissars are cheaper than techpriests and he never really got to murder anything so I didn't accidentally cheat. This did however mean I was stuck without a techpriest to maintain my tanks, forcing me to rely on Jury Rigging to keep my warlord alive. Short version: I'm an idiot and I'm bad at life.

>Kadyusha
Wait Vostroya is under siege and are they winning the war or LOL NOPE Homeworld lost soon

Give one bullgryn per squad a brute shield. Anything more than ap-2, save against his 4++ since their armor saves will be reduced to that or worse by ap. Keeps them from getting picked off by lascannons and shit too easily.

How's 6 for $4 sound?

Second Lesson During Deployment: Imperial Guard wins at deployment and this can be leveraged to hell and back! I deliberately staged my infantry line first, and given I was a tank-y army this forced my opponent to spread out his AT units. Referencing the ugly-ass paint picture to the left, you can see his Repulser, Lascannon Devestators, and Hellblasters were all scattered about the field on either side or behind the LOS-blocking Fortress of Redemption. I on the other hand got to concentrate my entire armored regiment (minus a sacrificial chimera) on one side of the field. I chose the side away from the Repulser, so I could rip those lascannons apart safe from any other strength 9 weapons. At least for now.

My opponent got all sorts of annoyed by the Guard's shenanigans. He brought a D6 out to count his command points and set it to four. I brought out my D12 and set it to seven. He was flabbergasted to learn I had a whole battalion's worth of troops AND a vanguard at 1100 points. Made all the better by him asking how I could only just now be breaching the 1000 point mark when I had been visiting the shop for 2 years not 10 minutes ago. He admitted his Primaris Army couldn't even be deployed battle-forged at anything other than 1100 points. Oh, then I told him I had taken Kurov's Aquila and would be getting more command points on a 5+ whenever he used a stratagem. That made him very happy (not really).

Third Lesson: Armored Warlords are terribly vulnerable. Unsuprisingly he took first turn and tried to nuke my Warlord out of the gate. The Lascannons did something like 8 damage and this was a single squad of gunners. Had this been a 2000 points game, my Warlord would almost certainly have died to overwelming AT fire, even with "Take Cover" in effect. More damage was incurred by overcharged plasma fire, but then he rolled Gets Hot! and I used his tactical reroll to gain a command point. Then he rolled another 1 and lost a hellblaster. Que the losing horns.

Fourth Lesson: Tank Commanders can now Order themselves and this is incredibly vital. Every turn of the game saw some form of AT directed at the wounded command tank even as the driver tried to fix the holes in the engine. Meanwhile, this being raven guard units in cover, many of my own shots were doing subpar damage because I was fighting at -1 BS and +1 Sv. BUT, Second Turn was vital as it let me give him a taste of his own medicine! Strike and Shroud + Take Cover made my Warlord more or less a Raven Guard wannabe and stopped any follow up firepower from breaching the crippled tank. My opponent had apparently contracted tunnel vision because even when I pointed out that he would be better off targeting other tanks, he still wanted to hit the King Russ. Because that one was the warlord, and that one was wounded. Well if your looking at the MS Paint uploads the slowly upticking healthbar will tell you how THAT turned out.

Oh, and my right flank was eaten alive by an angry Dreadnaught and his pocket-psyker.

Fifth Lesson: More infantry, less officers. I already planned on bringing one more infantry squad per CC & Commissar in my 1500 points army, but this minor skirmish showed me just how fragile the infantry were and really put the worth of the officer Corp into context. Note that I had 4 Infantry Squads, 2 Veteran Squads, and a CC and Commissar for every two infantry squads. Granted, I was basically bringing out everything I had and couldn't have deployed more infantry even if I wanted to, but I will likely dump a Commissar and a Commander from my 1000 points list in favor of 2 more infantry squads for the remaining 4 commissioned officers. Just one of those "Good to know firsthand" kinda things. On that note, my opponent made a most epic blunder. After killing the Chimera with hellblasters and erasing the flamer veterans with the repulser, my opponent decided that for lack of other targets he would just focus all remaining guns on the repulse on the final intact infantry squad on 'his' newly conquered side of the Fortress. He rolled two die for the twin lascannons, hit once, then without thinking procliamed "I would like to reroll that!" and he did. Please note that he is an experianced player. He was probably just acting on instint:

>I always aim my lascannons at tanks. I missed once with my twin lascannon. Better reroll that so I can get more damage on his tank....Oh wait I'm targeting infantry shit!

5+! That's another CP for me and one throughly vaporized guardsman. Oh, and that Tactical Reroll was 1/4 of his CP, so that must've stung.

That pic is from the 5th Edition Codex, user.

Thoughts on Company Veterans, y'all?

Yay or nay on Primaris Psyker for a source of psychic powers in an IG list? Got the points to spare.

Working on a pdf, not sure if it will work. I think it'll be a pretty funky size if it does

At this point in the game my plan was working more or less as expected. My infantry-heavy right flank was being torn to shreds a bit faster than I would have liked, but they were destracting the heavy armor and most of the charactors while MY armor and it's infantry screen chisled away at the Left. By the time the Captain, Repulser, Dreadnaught, and Hellblaster team had routed the last of the resistance (suffering zero casualties in regular primaris fasion), I had cleared the left side of enemies and finally had room to menuver my armor unmolested by any long range fire. Of course, my army and his were on oppisite sides of a giant fortress, so I would have to be careful about initiating an engagement around the obstacle.

Wait, no, my opponent is charging! Yea, this was the mistake that made the game. Keeping in mind that between the Captain, Repulser, Hellblasters, and Close Combat Dreadnaught, my opponent still had more than sufficiant AT to take me on, assuming he engaged and focused his fire on one tank at a time. He did not do this. Instead of taking a turn to consolidate all assets for an assault over the fortress, the Raven Guard decendents let their Repulser tank hop up onto the wall between the fortresses to start working over the remaining tanks and infantry. Alone. So he had a whopping 2 Lascannon shots and some medium weapons against my vehicles, while his Plasma, Seige Claw, Psyker, and Power Sword all raced about a turn's move behind each other. He fired, he hit, he wounded once, and I saved my tank commander on a 5+. Some infantry died to the Repulser's many, MANY guns, but the Heavy weapons were intact.

Hmm. Those are pretty good too. The Puppetswar ones are in your face Crusader helms. Those are a little more subtle. I was also suggested to use Skitarii Vanguard heads, but it seems like the guard codex has killed that supply quickly.

This ended poorly for the Repulser. 16 Wounds on a T8 Sv3+ is awesome, but I've fought far more dangerous things back when everything did 1 damage, limited as my experiance may be. And I certainly didn't have two Heavy2D6 w/ Rerolls S8 AP-2 Dd3 battle cannons back then! Boom! Erased! Dead! That is an Ex Tank! And then the Hellblasters vulted onto the battlements while the Dreadnuaght was still catching up. Focus Fire again. Boom! Ded. Then the Dreadnaught finally arrived but had left his babysitting psyker in the dust. DEAD! Then the Captain. DEAD! Then it was game. I call it "World of Tanks Syndrome" after the tendency for the last player on a team to score a stupid number of kills because everyone else is racing each other for the final kill instead of waiting and taking on the lonely enemy tank together. Had he consolidated his army on the oppisite side of the fortress from me, out of sight of my guns, and then had his whole force jump onto the battlements together, he could have focused down my warlord (now out of command points and smoke launchers), charged the dreadnaught into another tank to tie it up in combat, cut my depleted infantry screen to ribbons with his captian and buffed the whole army at once with his Psyker's aura. But shoulda-coulda-woulda. I certainly didn't play a perfect game and I know you all would've cringed at my deployment of the veterans out in the open where they got sawed down by miniguns.

And Done! I'm sure my Paint art was really intreaguing and not at all a pain in the ass but my opponent's units didn't get their transfers yet so he didn't want pictures posted everywhere. Here's a picture of my Chimera looking at a censored Repulser. Just because.

It's from the 8th edition epub.

Well it was definitely in the 5th Edition Codex as well.

Sounds reasonable.
Anything else, user?

Should I get army painter varnish or citadel purity seal?

Not the guard codex

Oh yeah, Those kits are being bought up left and right.

These could also work if you're going for more Deathcult Crusaders.

How do you guys get your transfers to not reflect light so much?

you cover them with a matte varnish

I was actually looking at these guys, to keep the medieval feel. At the same time
>painting skin
Might not be fun.

Paint>Gloss>Transfer>Gloss>Weather>Matte

I'd go with brush on varnish.
Spray varnishes are a gamble, you don't want to fuck up the varnish, the very last step

What's the best army composition for orks? Nobs are so damn expensive points-wise.

Paint>Gloss>Transfer>Matte>Weather

Don't matte your weather effects, otherwise it will looked "painted on", invest in good power fixer.

Painting skin is poopy.

Also, those are sized for Space Mar-*COUGHCOUGH* 28mm heroic miniatures. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks anons. Wasn't planning on getting a big army of them, but I like how they look and was considering buying a pack cause they look fun to paint.

I remember it in there.

Didn't get to play today. Tried to get a game for Sunday, but no one wanted to play or come in. I did however make plans for a game Thursday with another Guard fag at the store.

So I got ready today and painted 10 Scions, a Psyker, an Astropath and got my Terminator Inquisitor and normal Inquisitor painted too. I'm ready to beat up tanks and hoards with Bullgryn, Thunder Hammers, Crusaders and Meltaguns.

If your weather is really mild get Testors Dullcote. If not then use a brush on matte varnish. They pretty much all work. I'm not a huge fan of Purity Seal.

Most people aren't using powder to weather gaming minis. Just paint.

They're also nearly entirely out of stock on the heads I want lol

Astropaths are way cheaper and more useful for utility. Primaris Psyker is best for Smite and if you need an HQ choice. They are also decent back up melee. Otherwise, Astropaths are way cheaper and still get full deny dice and full normal castings of psykana powers.

Alright, friends. The last game I played was in 5th. I played infantry spam marines (not MSU, talking as many ten man squads as possible) with a personal love of sternguard. When BT got rolled into the vanilla dex in 6e I went and set up two 20 body crusader squads just for the fuck of it. I have 183 dudes total (10 jump pack marines, 25 scouts with no snipers, and the rest are PA), 3 droppods, 3 thunderfires, 2 rhino platforms that would always be getting their shit swapped between types, and 2 stormtalons. Will I be able to have as much fun as I did back in 5e if I get back into 8e? Is the vanilla dex actually viable now and still able to do a ton of different things or are there only a few ways worth playing? Did they make vanguard vets actually worth taking? Is hero hammer still alive and strong, and if so can I still counts as (always took kantor). And finally, no I don't intend on getting any primaris kits because my dudes are stuck up in the galactic north.
Forgive the wall of text, just wanted to get it all down while I read the new codex.

Where?

that's not really weathering, that's just painting.

get some powder, skub

Not to be a SCAN-begging seagull but is the Guard book up?

ratling fluff page i believe

Sure it is. And powder is shitty for minis you're going to be handling all the time.

>powder is shitty for minis you're going to be handling all the time.

If you apply fixer, it'll be fine.

>$24 for 20 replacement heads
>new as much as the squad themselves

Oof. Maybe I oughta look elsewhere.

>not salt-weathering all your miniatures
Stay pleb

boyz

>Fixer
What? Hairspray? That's not enough. You basically have to use varnish, and you already dissed that.

Has anyone built a plague burst crawler? I can't for the life of me get the barrel of the mortar to fit between the 2 parts of the square casing.

Alright, well since I need a bit of a point sink and got a free HQ slot, Primaris Psyker it is. Not certain if melta or veteran squads I should slap him with, probably melta squad given their need to get close and his night shroud/barrier.

>this pasta left /pol/ and has been getting edited
best timeline