/WIP/ - Work in Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting rating scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

Other urls found in this thread:

bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/citadel-curved-flying-stands-p-8202
shop.microartstudio.com/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Building Death Riders, not a fan of the standard lances (or of lances in general). Any suggestions on replacements? I was toying with using bayonetted Galvanic Rifles since I have a handful lying around, though I'm not sure how exactly I'd go about it (and I don't have enough to do a full 15 for a Brigade).

what are the risks of using a cheap spray?

I've got a few bottles of black spraypaint for 2 bucks each. I've used it on scenery before and it works totally fine. I've also sprayed a land raider and it looks fine but haven't started painting it yet. It seems to yield equal results to GW's spray so far.

Test it out on an expendable mini and try to paint over it. If it's shit, don't use it. If it works, you're good.

To be honest, some of the best primers available are the cheap ones, not modelling specific.
Krylon Sandable Flat Black primer for instance (if you're in the US) is like $4 a can and one of the best.

So my advice would be to test things out and decide for yourself if it is good stuff or not.
A low price certainly doesn't disqualify a product.

>what are the risks of using a cheap spray?
That it goes on too thick/grainy or fucks up the model in some other way. If works for you then there's no problem. Rule of thumb is to test on sprue first.

That's tricky, the entire gimmick of Guard Rough Riders are their lances, but perhaps you could models them more like normal assault cavalry? (sword or pistol for instance)

I would place a lance on the model though, in a holster perhaps so that you can make the argument that they're armed as their description says.

There are no cheap sprays, only shitty sprayers.

Yeah, my issue right now is finding holstered lances. I was led to believe Sydonians had them- it's even in their description- but there isn't one here. That's why I was going to use the galvanic rifles as a base; with a sufficiently sized bayonet they're essentially lances at that point, so I don't have to worry about a bit that might not exist. Trying to avoid brass rod.

>attempt to truescale my DV chosen so they don't look like manlets next to Chadmarines
>accidentally make them taller than terminators by a large margin

what the fuck do I do now? I'm thinking put the terminators on a raised scenic base. Are actual chadmarines taller than terminators?

Thanks, I got some test sprues and random dude lined up to be tested on.

I'll compare it vs gw's spray on sprues to see how it applies, and how painting over it goes.
If that passes I'll use it on the dude then if it passes I'll be very happy.

It's not officially a primer. I do have another can of the same brand that is a primer, but it applies way thicker.

Won my local gw monthly painting comp with the big guy!

congratulations user.

I'm not surprised, given how great he looks!
Congrats, user.

Looks real good, any other pictures?

Right, it applies fine to sprue but on models it seems to be too thin, edges are left exposed after a spray and multiple coats seems to not fix that. I'll give the primer a shot on another model considering how different it acts.

8/20

I've been using cheap 8€ primer for years now and i've never looked back. Store it properly and shake it properly and you'll be fine.

Really solid, congrats! Nice job with that rust.

The only solution is to truescale your terminators as well. Or at least repose their wonky legs so they will be about the same height.

Your bone/white highlighting really saved your ass here- The cloth and metals don't look highlighted whatsoever here aside from the pauldrons. It's also a bit too clean, Mort should have porous, weeping wounds. Looks like he started to go through rehabilitation.

You need your eyes checking. You can clearly see highlights pretty much everywhere. The shoulder spikes on the right of the pic don't look finished but the cloth and all the metal looks highlighted.

Enjoying seeing your conversions as ever. Keep them coming.

breddy gud, any other angles?

Given how it's a WIP in that picture, it isn't done.

How pestilent

I take that back, a second coat actually solved the problems. I think I'm going for it. The primer of the same brand seemed really grainy and I know it's thicker so I'll stick with this one. (the bright edges on the dude are because the light, not bad coat)

For you
... Also congrats. I just couldn't miss a baneposting opportunity

So I bought a cheapo airbrush intended for painting things like cars for almost nothing to see if I like airbrushing, and it has worked absolute wonders, but I'm starting to outgrow it, so I want to replace it

My question is: How important is the compressor? The one I bought with the airbrush is just as entry level cheapo, would I fuck myself over completely if I kept it for my new, good airbrush, or does it not really matter what compressor you run as long as it has the psi you want?

i got six new plague drones cheap, but because space is a factor, i was thinking of leaving their wings off and making them walky spider beasts. does this look ok?

I used to use cheap automotive primer, and while coverage was fine, i found the primer to be water-resistant in a super annoying way. nearly impossible to basecoat. pic unrelated.

Grass or no grass

Grass, too plain otherwise.

Paintjob looks great btw.

Pretty cool

How about just varying stones?
Could even be something along the lines of slate

Does anybody have the quick tutorial on how to take better pics of minis that some user posted yesterday?

So I've been thinking lads. What's one area of the hobby you'd like to improve on? Thinking we can post things that could help a brother out.

For me it's greenstuffing. I can't seem to make the right amount or get it smooth.

winning the games

WIP Skitarius

Grass isn't grimdark imo.

Neither is the new death guard, so it fits perfectly.

>get it smooth.
I had the same problem until I started using talcum powder. That shit is magic, it completely prevents the putty from sticking to anything, but you can easily wash it off to make it sticky again. Some people reccomend working with water, but it dries quickly and doesn't prevent sticking as much, others say oil or cream but good luck ever sticking or gluing anything to that piece again. Powder is the best of both worlds.

Now I'm imagining the DG purging a desert planet.
I'm loving it.

Looks fine to me. In fact I'm currently thinking of doing the same to work as a Daemonic Mount but switching out the head for that of a horse.

Thanks m80, I'll get some when I'm out and try it. I need a proper sculpting tool too. It'd help.

Really bad mini imo but your paintjob actually made it look good. Well done!

Those are some awesome 'zerkers.

Love the mix between pre and post heresy colours. Keep it up.

Is this too tall to be count as for a chimera?
Should I drop it a bit?
Want to use for tallarn

It's pretty huge. Closer to a lr or superheavy I think

What if I lower it and measure from the hull?

heres the overhead

Its sunday and i'm bored. so here you go.

Would you refuse that as count as? I'm honestly not sure whether or not it'd be allowed

I'm trying to have everything on walker legs, planning on utilizing alot of sentinels and they'd go well together.

It would be a pita with the weird tlos rules for vehicles in 8th. Maybe if you also had a chimera shaped paper cube/box to sub in for firing checks? Switching out twice a turn would be irritating. With friends anything goes, but if I was playing Rando dude at a store/event I’d call it modeling for advantage

Yeah you're right. I think it'd be too much of a hassle. I'm just really in love with the open topped canvas awning for transport capacity look that tallarn possesses. I'll probably just take a regular chimera, cut up it's back and put a cage/cover over it so you could see the infantry sitting inside too

I like the freehanding. Keep going.

>Are actual chadmarines taller than terminators?
Yes. Which is very annoying since I too am making truescale marines from Primaris kits, and have little to no idea how to do terminators.

Not really. I don't really care what I play against as long as it looks good.

About ready to spray my Contemptor Dread for my Ultramarines 5th Company. Magnetized it and added some bitz to make it not look like it's fresh from the Production Line. Gonna stick on some purity seals too of course but I'll do that last.

I'm considering the same thing. For terminators you can go with Custodes Terminators and maybe a few cataphractii bits thrown in. The bigger question are bikes and vehicles, though.

Made some power through pain tokens

I'm trying to incorporate more freehand into my miniatures. I'm not too bad at it but sometimes it feels like it might go unnoticed.

Nah man, I think it's neat. Dust actually had some great minis and I felt bad it largely went forgotten. Glad to see someone is getting newfound use for them.

it does seem to chip easier, will this become a problem later when painted over or not?

Fantastic idea, user.

Looks great. You could consider converting it so the wings are folded back onto them.

More progress on my stormcast bros

I like the bits you added.

Cool!

Very cool colourscheme

What's a good place for beautiful/handsome head bits? Doing some EC conversions and need some non-ugly head bits

Looking for those clear plastic bits/wires for aerial pieces in a conversion, what's the best option for that?

bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/citadel-curved-flying-stands-p-8202

Maybe a bit lower but i wouldnt see no problem using it. If anything else it is bigger target for the enemy.

How people show their armies they are working on?

Here's my IG forces called Argo Brigade in various stages of painting.

I have no group shot of my current project - i'm still testing out the new codex and keep dusting off old units and thinking about giving them a new paintjob. I suppose that's good. Anyway, here's a shot of my last project, glorious 7th Death Guard.

Alright lads I'm making plans for a portable 4'x4' gaming table but I can't decide on the material for the table part itself, what do you suppose I should use?
I thought about cork but I'm not sure how durable that is and it might just end up being super expensive
I had a thought that it could be in two 2x4' halves either connected by a hinge or connectable via some other means.
Then I'd have to figure out the legs & junk

What colour should my tonk be? Im painting a guard army with an adaptus administratum feel (all paperwork and beurocracy .etc) and i was wondering how i should do the tanks? My sheme is grey with white left arms on the lil niggas. The white is so i can stick writing on it. Should yhe tanks be the same or should i change it up a bit? How much grey and white?

My lil boys. Its all alternative stuff pretty much as i refuse to give gw my money. The vestroyans are ebays finest

Thanks!
I'm working on Seraphon right now, and as they're demons of order my plan is to carve chunks away to create negative space, and use those bits to hold the model together

That would probably work for bigger models, but what about something smaller like skinks?

Get some 2x4 foamboard. They usually have some sort of connector or small ledge so they overlap other piece.

Pic related

How do you do your urban bases? Not gravel and random rocks like you're on a mountain, actual urban bases, concrete, asphalt, all that.

Realize what the fuk am I doing wrong.

You might be a hero. Do I need those silicone sculpting things? I have a handful of metal tools that didn't seem to work well.

Did mine with cork for asphalt. Works out fine.

Fair. Seems like it wouldn't work well on 25mm bases due to the tiny size, and that's 90% of what I have to do.

25mm are probably gonna be a bitch. If you're lazy, you could use a texture paint like Astrogranite though.

Kinda what I figured would happen. Unfortunately it's an Inquisitor/Necromunda project, so most everything is built out of Guard, GSC, Skitarii, and Bloodreavers as the torso/leg base. Which means a whole lot of 25mm bases. Just using Astrogranite (or in my case Vallejo texture paste) is the way out I was hoping to avoid, unfortunately.

Both kinds of tools work well for me with the powder. People are generally overstating the effectiveness of the rubber-tipped shapers. Those things are really, really soft and they probably won't work how you imagine them. You'll always do the heavy duty stuff with metal tools, even smoothing. They can help, though, if you want it extra smooth.

Well, your other options are: Greenstuff World roller, GW bases, other premade modeled bases.

D A Z Z L E
A
Z
Z
L
E

Just doing some messing around. Slapping basing on and some base coats. Probably gonna do all the proper painting once all my kit arrives, and once I manage to actually make my sergeants have poses that don't look retarded.

Are there any guides to painting Chimeras/Sentinels in Steel Legion colours?

Would bodies of daemons remain in the mortal realm to allow their corpses to be put on a spike?
Wont they just disappear back to warp ?

looks natural

At the small size of force I'd be looking at, the GW bases might actually be viable. Has anyone here worked with them?

there are 3rd party options if you can't be arsed.

shop.microartstudio.com/en/

I've actually got a set of their bases on my shelf (I cast them for my Dark Eldar), they're okay. The Corregidor, Tech, and Warehouse bases might actually work. Neat.

Congrats user, as many have mention a solid paintjob.
What I would have liked to see was a better blend and highlight on the cloth. As another user mentions, you can't really get away with an edge highlight on a full cloth, and to me it lacks contrast.
Other than that GJ, I love this miniature btw and could easily start a DG army for this simple reason!

With white carapieces, would snow bases be too much white for tyranida?

With grass, but get better tufts for fuck sake.

Only picture I could find that wasn't taken from a low angle. Anyway, they're pretty shit quality Chinesium. Soft details and take some work to look decent - but they're dirt cheap and there are enough in one box to base a small army.

>pretty shit quality Chinesium
So still better than hobby shop resin. I think I'll live, and I don't mind some work for it. Yours look pretty nice. Thanks.