Explain to me the appeal of the Space Wolves? Other than just the wolfwolfwolf that is

Explain to me the appeal of the Space Wolves? Other than just the wolfwolfwolf that is.

Is it being a dick but getting away with it because of reasons? Is it just rule-breakers are cool syndrome?

They were the guys who were maximum FUCK ULTRAMARINES and I think we can all agree FUCK ULTRAMARINES

Would you consider "Vikings in Spaaace!" a thing other than "wolfwolfwolf"?

Explain?

Not a massive 40k guy but I thought the Word Bearers were the rivals of the Ultras.

>Would you consider "Vikings in Spaaace!" a thing
Are they really though? I dont think I've ever read anything about them fighting with awesome navel tactics or raiding the other factions.

Do you just mean their shamanism kind of stuff?

werewolves are cool

vikings are cool

space marine with chainsaws are cool

rulebreakers are cool

rulebreaking werewolf viking space marines with chainsaws are thus pretty appealing to a lot of folks.

i personally prefer pretty greek berserker vampire angels myself

they drink mead, have a viking ascetic, have a vaguely norse spiritualism and culture, and act like savages

that's viking as far as the average person cares- actual raiding or naval battles aren't really something most folks care about

iirc Space Wolves lore was that they wiped their asses with the Codex Astartes after the Ultramarines wrote it and demanded everyone follow it

>actual raiding or naval battles aren't really something most folks care about

Agreed. I give 0 shits about this with my viking-inspired content.

>actual raiding or naval battles aren't really something most folks care about
Thats sad. Drink mead and telling sagas isnt unique to just vikings.

That makes sense. The Ultras do seem boring and I wish the Ultras were more Roman with the internal power struggles of the post-Caesar Rome.

>One of the few Chapters who ignored the Codex.
>Vikings in Space.
>They give a shit about to the common people, to the point they went to war against the Inquisition and the Grey Knights for killing IG whose only sin was fight against Chaos.

They're individualistic and focused on heroic deeds rather than being (mostly) faceless angels of death

>Thats sad. Drink mead and telling sagas isnt unique to just vikings.

Neither is raiding or naval battles. At the end of the day all you really need is the look to convince people that they are looking at vikings. Any further semblance is depend entirely on how much those features are interesting to the creator.

People who think they are wolves

People who want to fuck wolves

The only things that the Imperium, not the Ultramarines, demanded was that the Legions be split up. The Space Wolves complied with this.

I dig their asthetic and how they're "good guy Vikings" essentially.

>rulebreakers are cool

Maybe if you are in HS.
Which to be honest, is GW market target.

your personal opinions don't really matter

rulebreakers are, by the general view, cool

hence why nearly every character that is supposed to be cool in fiction is someone who breaks rules

the loose cannon cop

the wisecracking rebel

the smart kid who doesn't bow to peer pressure

from Han Solo to Dirty Harry to the fucking rabbit from Zootopia

bucking the consensus is, according to cultural consensus, an admirable trait

which is hilarious honestly

Raids and naval battles are standard marine business

Except in comparison real vikings were never badguys, after all wolfs slaughtered quite a few worlds and there current chapter master has a daemon sword slowly corrupting him.

To be fair that only applies in a context where it's been made pretty clear that the rules are acting as shackles and prevent "justice" from winning. Which is honestly what often happens in the Imperium because while some extreme measures are justified they're not always applied in the best or most considerate way.

Because unlike 99% of the marines out there, they actually care about the small folks and are willing to put themselves on the line to save them.

Also they know how to have fun in and out of battle.

You forget Salamanders and more importantly, that description is no longer applys to wolfs after Grimnar allowed people of Fenris to be slaughtered (Again that weapon is corrupting him)

>wolfs slaughtered quite a few worlds
Where and why? Citations please.

>chapter master has a daemon sword slowly corrupting him
It's a fucking axe, not a sword, look at the model at least. Stop getting your sources on Veeky Forums parroting 1d4chan memes. And it is in no way stated to be corrupting him.

>in b4 HURR BUT IT RADIATES POWER

Like most weapons, and marines resisting chaos, even coming back from the warp, is nothing new.

I'm an IF guy but people talking shit about some faction need to at least provide good reasons instead of making shit up.

That was because the people of Fenris were legitimately corrupted and needed purging.

And no. The axes power is tamed by the power of Morkai.

First of all, Horus Heresy, Wolfs were sent to capture Magnus the Red (Slaughter happened while on the planet)

Secound, sorry, my bad, I wrote sword out of habbit and remembered it was an axe taken from a blood thrister only after I uploaded the post. But it's still weapon made by chaos (Possibly khorne but I need to check my sources)

Lastly, Real reason to say that was Wolf's nickname "Emperor's Executioners" - I was not trying to make you angry, sorry about that, just wanted to note they are about as terrible as everyone else (Which is a norm in 40k after all)

So they killed the people that they were sent to kill? You made it sound like they were flesh tearers or marines malevolent, where they go out of their way to be dicks.

Blood Angels are not greek. Like, at all.

Oh, ups...Again I am terribly sorry, there is no argument both of them are much more terrible then the wolfs, and that wolfs are one of nicer chapters, but you should not make them into ultrasmurf mery sues as well, so be careful user.

Also everyone knows that Logan Grimnar is the Santa Clause, who could hate that.

>So they killed the people that they were sent to kill?
That's correct my fellow trait... I mean Brother. Also don't bother checking those orders with the Emperor or listening to Valdor k? Wolves 4 lyfe.

You seem to be somehow implying that the thousand sons didn't deserve to be purged.

The thing that makes them appealing is that if people fight alongside them, and fight well, the Space Wolves will stand by them. They also are the 2nd least stuck up of the Marine chapters, being willing to eat and drink with normal humans and see the value of the imperial Guard. See all of the Emperors Gift. Emperors gift also shows something people are missing in why the Space Wolves are so well liked. They are the closest to the glory days of before the Heresy, with the oldest "living" marine, who fought alongside and remembers the Emperor. All other chapters are too 40k, SW still have that glimmer of the Glory of the Legions.

That's the spirit. Go get em champ.

>Explain to me the appeal of the Space Wolves?

>this shit
Take your meme back to 30 general.

Its the wolf thing. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is trying to hide that they're a furry

VIKINGS.
IN.
SPACE.

They used to be Space Vikings with a slight werewolf motif, which was cool.

There is no real appeal left now that they've gone full wolf wolfington the wolf.

I liked them on Unremembered Empire.
Their "Hey Guilliman, fuck you" attitude was rather cool and the fact that Guilliman kinda let them act like that was also cool.

They used to be cool Vikings in space with a side order of shamanism and a "We are the ones who watches the watchmen" attitude.

Now they're 100% WolfwolfwolfwolfWOLFWOFL.

I just really like their color scheme, something about that blue-grey mixed with reds yellows and blacks on their pauldrons attracts me.

They use to have a lot more Viking themed shit, runes, drinking, feasting, totems, merriment, troll like creatures, krakens, etc... but it has mostly in recent fluff been reduced to "wolf stuff"

You are a historical retard. You know dick about actual vikings. They were the bad guys. They were the guys that came from the edge of civilization to raid, rape, pillage and plunder what was left of civilization closest to them. They were the monsters of that age. Once trade and exploration started to pay more then the raiding did, because their victims were getting organized, they stopped that shit and became somewhat decent.

Look up long pork, or two-legged mutton. Terms the vikings had for human meat that they sold to others.

Never badguys my ass. You are a dipshit.