Dark souls of tg

What is the dark souls of tabletop role playing games?

Other urls found in this thread:

merp1.free.fr/1 - MERP System/MERP 8000 - Middle Earth Role Playing.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

F.A.T.A.L

Gurps maybe?
What do you mean by "the dark souls"

Probably this.

FATAL

>le dark souls is hard may may
*Ahem*
Fuck off.

>What do you mean by "the dark souls"

Nothing, he's just flinging shit at us hopping we'll dance for his entertainment.

Warhammer Fantasy

>*Ahem*
*cough*fuckoff*cough*

This

Also stop theses bait post faggit OP

Tomb Of Horrors.

hahahahahahahaha omg, u saw that pewdiepie video too??

Sage

fpbp

Because it died?

WHFRP is too mundane for the soulsfaggot crowd.

Ciberpunk 2020 could get pretty brutal, also didnt your character could die in Character creation in early editions of Traveller?

*ahem*
The Wizz-Banger Mark VII

it's a /v/ meme
some guy made an article called "9 games that are the Dark Souls of their genre"
which is a real stupid fuckin' article, but he made it all the more infamous by calling SMT4 the "dark souls of persona"

Old school dungeon crawl. Roll stats in order, start at lvl1, when you die you lose all your exp and equipment and have to roll a new character.

Make the progression based mostly on gear, so that every time you make a new character you have a chance to find the previous one and get your stuff back

warhammer fantasy is like the same level of fantasy as DS

Don't forget Dragons Dogma was "the dark souls of action rpgs"

any game that the gm makes super hard and you have to roll to roll

I had a thought for converting 5e to Dark Souls like gameplay.

>You start at level one.
>Your XP becomes your souls.
>Once you level up you keep the required amount of xp to be that level.
>You can only die the amount of times equal to your wis modifier. After that you go hollow and have to make a new character.
>The map is a dungeon crawl with bonfires that can be lit for checkpoints.
>You start with one estus (hp potion) that respawns only at these checkpoints. Shards for upgrading can be found in dungeons or on bosses.
>If a player dies, he loses all his xp where he died. Party members can pick up x amount of souls from a dead player if they wish, but cannot share xp once picked up
>the story and maps would be very much like dark souls 1 (best souls) with some parts of the mega dungeon being straight from the game.

Only problem is that most of my players wouldnt be into this style of game. Theyre mostly noobs who just want a power fantasy. Fuck, Veeky Forums would you play with me? Or is this a bad idea and I should feel bad?

Also forgot
>no starting gear, take what you can from the dead
>you get reactions once per turn in combat but you cant react to two things in the same turn. ie, you can roll a dex save to roll away from an attack or a str save to block with your shield and take less dmg

Rollmaster or MERP (What is rollmaster lite)
Super deadly, silly and rewards knowing what your doing and not just running in.

Work on the idea and when a game finder thread opens apply as a dm

He doesn't mean anything, this is a shitpost thread

/thread

merp1.free.fr/1 - MERP System/MERP 8000 - Middle Earth Role Playing.pdf

PDF too big to upload. I did a quick google for it. I think this is taken from the first printing before they reworded some of it.

Its very darksouls, things like how actions have weight. Move

Okay, can someone explain this cup person to me? I've been seeing it shitposted everywhere and I have literally no idea what this thing is.

There's a relatively recent video game called "Cuphead", that isn't actually difficult but became an ironic reference because of a video of a journalist completely failing to grasp the game's controls.

Why would I want to play this and not one of the good dungeon crawling board games?
You should try thinking before posting, but don't forget to breathe either, which is probably hard for you
Faggot

Because only steers and queers like board games.
God dammit I know you're roastin me but "faggot" gave me a hearty kek

Ok, im going to grind in the first few areas for 8 hours till im level 20.
This would not work for a roleplaying game.

>hi im new here why are you calling me a faggot

WFRP. It's hyped up as an incredibly lethal system, when in fact characters actually wind up pretty tanky in short order provided they're not played by total idiots.

>implying I would let my players grind. Good point though.
>implying I dont legitimately find the word faggot hilarious.
Now explain how I should breath? Through my nose? Or through my mouth like you?

Mythras/RuneQuest 6

Well, this person really understands what dark souls is....

This
Yes you can die during chargen in traveller as a side effect of trying to start with a more experienced character.

Un-sage

But Dark Souls is enjoyable.

So is FATAL.

Phoenix Command is the only real answer.

Probably the Dark Souls TRPG.

This, it's a gamble, not a straight up difficulty bit
It's like
>I wanna be tough
>I can gamble and go for military service to get tougher, but there's a chance of getting maimed or killed because military service
>It gives much better stat boosts for the risk, though
>Alternately, I can boost my base money by getting a shitty desk job, or my suavity from being a salesman
>After that career finishes, it's time to retire to working on the Planet Express, where opening a can of murder is useful, but so is having money or having been a salesman

Level 1 D&D.

It's clearly Paranoia

PC are expected to die
Your mission is unclear
Everybody is a traitor and a mutant and in a secret society

Came here to post this.

Dread, that jenga stack driven system
You will fail horribly eventually, no question.

Burning Wheel

If it's not then it's definitely Kingdom Death.

Isn't Dark Souls the Dark Souls of action rpgs?

Rolemaster, because nobody's been able to figure out how to play it properly in the 37 years it's been out.

dnd 3.5 with a strict DM and no healer in the party. We were all inexperienced, and most of us were on our fourth characters before someone caught on and rolled a cleric.

>Long Live The Queen
FUCK YEAH!

Is it really a gamble? If your character dies in chargen wouldn't you just make a new one? Or are you expected to just not play in the campaign if that happens?

>unironically liking Long Live The Queen
Literally a worse version of Princess Maker.

It follows the old view of D&D "roll 3d6 in order, choose class based on that". Where the player restricts itself in available options, forcing to be creative.
I think a player that tries and have the PC die* at char gen will make a different kind of path instead of rerolling until he gets what he wants.
* and if maimed, the roleplay possibility of playing the PC may be worth it.

It's a gentleman's line bit: you're expected to roll through and not try to cheese the rerolls until you get what you want. It's a fairly old system.

Sword Path Glory

You have rolls to see if you can attack (or defend yourself) for the next X turns, or you are too scared to do it

The two are not really comparable except for having princess for the protagonist. LLTQ is visual novel where you can explore myriad of paths and endings (most of which end in cutely illustrated death). PM is proper daughteru simulator.

Seconded for Kingdom Death

>Phoenix Command is the only real answer.

Sword path glory is more hardcore.

Phoenix command, is a simplified version of rhand morningstar mission (post apocalipse science fantasy) that is a simplified version of sword path glory (medieval, would be fantasy if monster and magic book were released)

It has acceleration, desacelleration, "too scare to attack or defend" rule, fatigue rules, being wounded reduce strenght, using "max strenght you can use while wounded" make your next "not die roll" harder and make you heal your wounds slower,

In game design: A RNG-lite game that's built around trial and error with a stong execution component.
In games journalism: Any game that's harder than "press A to watch cutscene".

There is no dark souls of tabletop.
Tabletop has no gameplay.

It would be a specific campaign, not a system. Any system can be as easy or as hard as the GM makes it. Probably Tomb of Horrors for the name recognition alone.

Platemail

GURPS or the Riddle of Steel

You dumb.

Hmm. Does anyone know how to replicate bullethell in an RPG or a board game?

Dark Souls

And lose what you have gained when you start over? Risk not doing as well on the rerolls, maybe dying sooner, or actually making it through character generation with flaws you didn't have before... yeah death is a penalty here because you lose the character you were building and it will never turn out the same.

you say that but we once had a team of nearly identical Merchant Marines one game to the point we decided to play them as a group of identical triplets working for the one other guy in our group

what the heck is Kingdom Death?

A board gaming combining elements of Civilization with Monster Hunter with a slathering of Berserk's particular horror.

Also a lot of big anime tiddies.

That too.