EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Unexpected Wincons Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's the most bizarre combination of commander (or colors) and wincon you've come across? You've run yourself?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tokens-i-guess-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-04-15-reki-legends-of-the-storm/
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/48288088338/i-would-just-like-to-say-that-im-very-happy-that
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-2002-01-28
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Friendly reminder.

Reki is surprisingly competitive. I had a deck with him at the helm that I had to retire because it was ruining games. Nobody expects a mono green player to take a 20 minute turn and draw his entire deck only to storm out with an arbitrarily large hurricane, or sweep with avacyn's memorial+50 creatures that were cast this turn.

>two spin downs
>small brain

God I fucking hate when people do that shit.

So last night a dude that I already thought was pretty cool in our DnD group just gave me his EDH deck when I brought up MtG before we started and how I didn't have an EDH deck yet. The other guy there that played magic said it was pretty good.

Since I don't really know the first thing about building EDH I was wondering what exactly I have here.

Commander is pick related and of course it has tons of token making cards.

I went ahead and made it on tappedout: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tokens-i-guess-1/

>have bucketloads of D6 to hand out every session
>some fucknut buys two D20s with illegible black text on red background
>hehe i am so epic if they can't see my life total they won't attack me
FUCK YOU

Lol forgot the pick

Thread Question:
Most bizarre I think was a white burn deck. Utilized things like corrupted conscience and pariah to make itself invincible and redirect damage to other players through their creatures. We had a big indestructible theme going and a lot of blightsteels, but no one was running bribery at the time so this became a pretty fun counter to that.

For me, I guess my "craziest" was a Kruphix deck built entirely around winning with lab maniac. The deck is full of fog effects, super defensive creatures like fog bank and sentinel, and a ton of ways to bring cards back from the yard of exile. It was built as a joke because I thought it was a funny win con when it came out, but then the joke stopped being funny . . .

I don't even have to look at the deck, there's a 90% chance it's shit with that commander.

What if it was this instead?

The most bizarre deck I've ever seen was a 5 color deck that used color and word editing cards to assemble a soft mana lock on everyone that wasn't 5 colors. It was before the mana change.

Yeah, that could actually work well in french EDH.

Do you have a list for that? I found a reki in a bulk bin the other day and got him for a quarter, turned my selvala edh into him. Ended up jamming 9 walkers into the deck with doubling season, parallel lives, a bunch of legends and token producers, but looking to make it more coherent

It's extremely budget. It seems to be a regular old token spam/anthem deck.
Just play modern if you want to play Voice.
HOU spindowns are truly horrible. I was hoping for a nice one to complement the fantastic AKH ones, but no, you need a fucking white mat and a light source directly above you to read them.

>AKH

Amonkhet?

I fail to see how using a fake card affects my deck.

Yeah, but it's out of date. There are a ton of legendary spells I would add if I were to revisit the project. The pool has only gotten better.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-04-15-reki-legends-of-the-storm/

The point was that Emmara had Voice's textbox in development but Wizards had a brain aneurysm and decided to print her as a steaming pile of shit.
Something about having all the maze runners being the same rarity.

Yes

Emmara originally had the Voice of Resurgence text, they swapped it at the last moment since they didn't want one card in the cycle to be good while the rest were shit.

Couldn't they only make good cards?

>Thread Question
OG Mardu Commander Oros with Spiritual Asylum + Vindicate + Radiate. End result: Destroy all permanents except for your own lands and creatures.

Isn't there an article they posted that answers that exact question?

Wow, Dragon's Maze was fucked from the start. That does explain why nuTeysa is so shit too. I wonder what she and the other runners' cards looked like during development.

I don't know.

Is it about limited formats? That's bullshit, and they should know it. Most cubes don't feature bad cards, and they're fun as fuck to draft.

The funny thing is, it's actually EDH's fault that the maze runners couldn't all be mythic since Ral Zarek was originally meant to be the izzet representative but was also forced to be a planeswalker. Wizards didn't want to piss off izzet faggots so they had to also make melek and downgrade the maze runners down to rare.
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/48288088338/i-would-just-like-to-say-that-im-very-happy-that

That Teysa works really well in my Queen Marchesa deck, ez way to get the monarchy back

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/when-cards-go-bad-2002-01-28

Rosewater is a hack.

what's the order of priority between signets, cluestones, and keyrunes?

It's actually Ral Zarek's fault, you see.
The cycle was doomed from the start, it had been created half rare, half mythic, uncertain of what actual rarity and power level to go for, and a big debate raged on in R&D about whether or not it was okay for Izzet to get a Planeswalker as their man or if they had to get a creature.

Because they changed places and were swapped around several times, R&D did what they often do when changes have to be introduced too late in development to test completely, they overcosted the shit out of them. Ironically, because Voice had been intended to be a Legendary creature, it was now undercosted and would go on to be a multi-format allstar.

They also had Creative turn Ral into a murderer, killing off Melek so they didn't have to rewrite the part of the book where Ral was the Izzet champion. Look at this smug twat, the face of an unrepentant killer and a man who ruined a legendary cycle.

Signet>Keyrune~Cluestone
Weirds are not people.

The Active Player gets priority before Non Active players.

What are the most fun Theros gods to run as your commander?

Xenagos

Xenagos followed by Karametra

>blows up a weird
>murderer

fucking liberals

Mogis 100%

only god id actually ever run

Kruphix, Purphoros, Mogis, Xenagos.

The rest are better suited in the 99.

P H A R I K A

probably kruphix and mogis

i like to put people on a time limit

Am I an alone for including things in my decks for flavorful reasons or do other idiots do the same?

I set my mini d6s on 5, and line up 8 of them

I do too, but I still keep it within reasonable bounds.

Like I won't put a vanilla 2/2 into my deck no matter how good the flavor is, but I might pick a removal spell that has my commander on the art etc

yeah Ill usually throw a meh card a bone if its got good flavor

especially since most of my decks tend to carry themselves so well it leaves room for dead draws

I run a Craw Wurm!

I'm not big on flavor includes where it's like my commander is a zombie so I include this cute necromancer card or something, but I do run sub optimal cards because I like their art/flavor text and so on

My Marath deck is called "Marath's Wild Party", so everything is flavored around throwing a party in the forest for all the wild creatures
The only human in the deck is Witness, almost not artifacts, and I'm in the process of getting Chromatic lantern to be altered to a disco ball

I run a sliver deck so have the five color thing. Does anyone have experience with Legacy Weapon or Door to Nothingness? The ideas behind the cards lend themselves to a mostly creature deck but the casting cost/activation cost seem prohibitive

I have some not-good Rakdos cards in my Rakdos Lord of Riots deck.
It's a deck made for fun, not really for winning.

I include Umezawa's Jitte in my Toshiro deck, but mostly because it's a good card.

None of the excuses in that article justify printing cards that are almost strictly better or worse versions of each other in the same standard rotation. Which R&D does many times.

Ephera

It is super fucking good

I do alters and stuff just on my own so cards end up being more flavorful in both my edh decks and my Innistrad plane cube. Which really reminds me that I need to try working on my Ravnica plane one too.

I really wish we could have shortformed amonkhet as ANKH

I hope you run elvish house party

I still don't know why Hour of Devastation was shortened to HOU not HOD

Did you read a different article? Because it definitely gave reasons. Mainly ones for draft

For Heart of Dominaria coming out in 2018.

Anyone got obscure recs for mass/reusable enchant/artifact destruction for a BUG sidisi deck? I've got bane and the usual rec sage and acidic slime along with pic related.

Hasbro internal policy forcing everything even across brand lines to have unique callsigns, I think

It's not repeatable but I like this in the 3 slot for Yisan. Being able to "Gotcha!" with it is priceless.

might not work if youve got some but titanias song is nice

OK, /edhg/, I'm working on a casual brew themed around clockwork mechanisms. Right now looking to be heavy artifact with a strong "untapping all my shit" theme, but who shall be the commander? There's not really anybody, at least not that I can think of, who's a legendary clockmaker or such. Arcum is probably closest but he's also a nasty can of worms

Somebody mono-brown (Karn?) to keep with the all artifacts, all the time theme?

Jhoira, to live up the time subtheme with suspend despite the fact that she'll draw all the hate?

Arcum despite all the hate?

Somebody with blue and black so I can run Time Sieve?

Somebody generic esper artifacts (Getting Time Sieve and Enlightened Tutor, maybe Thopter/Sword)

Hanna

mogis is my personal fave

Not yet, but now considering it

my jor deck runs darkteel colossus purely for flavour. Imprinting it onto prototype portal is pretty great though

Sharuum.

What about the commander's arsenal weird clicky calculator?

I have a friend that has the box set, he uses them for everything

what are those things at the bottom? i haven't seen them since pokemon

They're just glass beads

Why wouldn't anyone just use pen and paper though?

Muzzio sort of works, and he won't get you hated out of the game like Arcum will.

I've only ever ran one, Iroas.

Everyone fucking underestimates him, then all of a sudden you're attacking with a board of creatures that cannot be dealt damage, and have Menace, along with the 7-attack God himself.

Plus don't forget at instant speed you can Starstorm or Magmaquake to remove a bunch of weak blockers while leaving your stuff untouched.

holy shit, i didn't even notice this was legendary at first.

into the sisay enchantress deck it goes.

How the heck did I forget Muzzio. His creations are even fairly close to the 'core theme'. Thanks, user!

I kind of like them. Still, I feel like the ones that came in the commander anthology look different than the originals from commander's arsenal

Sydri. There's a lot of shenanigans you can do with her ability.

Muzzio probably fits the theme best, but Sydri would let you use Time Sieve and make your clockwork guys much more dangerous.

Having access to white and black has the potential to make the deck more degenerate than you may like. I'd go with Muzzio, personally.

I hate people who use notepads, since they always have unintelligible writing.

Thanks for the suggestions, i'll take a look into these. Titania's song against tormod crypts is pretty cheesy

no keranos players? it's nothing great, yet my brother hates the chance of a bolt each turn

Help me learn to enjoy Commander. My local scene basically never plays standard anymore, it's only draft or modern, as well as Commander. This means that if I want to play Magic regularly, I'll need to learn to like Commander.

I've tried it once or twice with a borrowed deck, and the insane power level and really long (Often two hours) games turned me off.

pls help

How do you guys run this fella? I'm going for spellslinger/enchantments

Find a legendary creature you like, or cards in a few colours you specifically want to play, then build a deck around it. You'll enjoy it more with your own deck then a borrowed one. Just remember that it's a casual format and min-maxing doesn't really tend to be as fun for everyone at the table.

If that doesn't work out, try building a cube and getting people to draft from it. I'm the user with the Innistrad cube from earlier in the thread and can post a link if you want. Don't feel bad about proxying cards for cube if you can't afford them since everyone will be playing with yours.

i built him voltron/fatal frenzy one-shots.

it was fun for a while until i realized atarka does it better.

What's the most fun two color partner combo? Is it WB? They seem synergistic.

UG because it's good colors and also you've got a big mana generator and a good mana sink

play modern instead, commander is a long game format unless you stuff your deck with infinites, tutors, and no interaction and at that point why even play?

I want to win against all odds, and have every game be archenemy while still standing a chance against the table.

How do I accomplish this? The playgroup needs to be challenged and I'm really sick of creatures the tappening and nobody playing answers. I've tried talking but they're not understanding that if they had played beast within that turn rather than their 14th ramp spell, the enchantment that killed them wouldn't have existed. I know this sounds belittling but fuck they play so BADLY. I don't want cEDH in my group but my god please if you can pick up expeditions and you've yet to get a Cyc Rift what are you doing?

Thanks for reading my blog post. I need a new commander, what do I play?

I wish my LGS played Modern. It's nothing but Standard brainlets who trade everything good they have for store credit and packs once rotation happens and than get mad at others for having good stuff.

Sounds like legacy and vintage is more your speed turbo spike faggot

I promise you Modern gets old after a while. The meta is so slow that you end up seeing the same decks and matchups week after week.

Derevi Stax.

just play a deck that wraths the board every turn and spice it up with some MLD and stax

Just to clarify, the only legal things from Un sets are the lands right?

yes

In the most serious sense, yes, but I know there is a guy in japan that has an entirely silver bordered deck. It all comes down to your local playgroup.

Sunforger shenanigans