Racial naming conventions

>Czechs, Slovaks, Romani, Franks, Kyrgs, Scots, Bulgars, Serbs, Turks, Kurds, Poles, Armenians, Greeks, Slavs, Magyar, Finns, etc-
I'm planning on running a game soon that's based around spooky Gothic horror aesthetics and the 17th-19th centuries. I had a thought that it might better fit such a setting to give players choices of different human races instead of the usual elves, dwarfs and humans. Each "race" I guess being closer to a cultural identity, many of which posses long histories and unique traditions of living that MIGHT occasionally interact with each-other but rarely mix. One race might allegedly learn to ski before they walk and get a mechanical bonus to represent that snow-bound way of life, while another might be amazing horse-riders and keepers, and yet another might just be an exceptionally depressive people.

However, I've found it difficult to generate names for such peoples that don't sound made up. I was wondering if Veeky Forums or any eurobros around might have any knowledge to share about the linguistic traditions that gave rise to the names above, or advice for naming demographics of that type.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/6AGUr
ckiiwiki.com/Culture#List_of_Cultures
eu4wiki.com/Culture#List
behindthename.com/random/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torlakian_dialect
youtube.com/watch?v=jr9nL2Lhrj8
behindthename.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_countries
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

imgur.com/gallery/6AGUr
Gallery of pictures I think might show what i'm going for

I don't understand. You need personal names, or what?

I mean names for fictional cultures. Like "the somethings", where a member of "the somethings" would be called a "something". Similar to saying something like "the scots" and "a scot", if that makes any sense.

Use obscure real ones and hope your players don't notice. Vlachs have to be in there somewhere.

This.

Ostrogoths
Visigoths
Obri
Kök Türük
Dalmatae
Epidaurum
La Tène
Villanovan
Hallstatt
Liburnians
Histri
Carni

Usually when I'm out of idea I take a real culture and add or remove some syllabes until it sounds correct.

Most of the times I use some obscure culture name from CKII or EUIV :

ckiiwiki.com/Culture#List_of_Cultures
eu4wiki.com/Culture#List

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Try using names of dialects as well. For example, Torlakian, a dialect of Serbian, always sounded like a perfect name for a made-up Eastern Euro ethnicity.

Shit. Which part of Serbia and how does it sound like?

>Kök Türük
That sounds evil

>The Strong ones
Whites
>The Fast ones
Blacks
>The agile ones
Asians

>Ostrogoths
>Visigoths
>obscure
What.

behindthename.com/random/
This site, in general, is really good. A bit modern, but you know.

Do you think someone who isn't a Slav (Americans especially) knows who they were?

Any Rage Against The Machine fan knows who the Visigoths were.

I went to school in Western Europe, they were touched upon in history classes.
Also they both were in some form in Age of Empire 2, IIRC.

>yfw C19th New York was far more culturally diverse

>Carni
*kizarny

Another good idea its simply steal the name of a city from the zone you want to steal and use it as a name for the people , I Really like to use the Archaic names (pre roman) from the cities for my settings and base the people in them, like the Egarians or Arraonans for the two biggest cities near me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torlakian_dialect

It sounds quite a bit like Bulgarian/Macedonian. Here's a joke 'love letter' written in the dialect:
youtube.com/watch?v=jr9nL2Lhrj8

>Gothic horror aesthetics and the 17th-19th centuries

I'd like to hear more about your setting, if you'd care to share.

Cool, this reminds me of Kočo Racin

Do you at least understand naming conventions? For this shit to work out, you would need few dozens of different languages and their users - along with their neighbours in their respective languages - calling themselves and everyone else. This or being called by someone who just bargained into their land with expedition.

>Obscure
>Then that list
By obscure you mean "I never had any historical education at all in my life and expect others suffered the same"?

>yfw

Depends on the naming convention, but I'd say I have a "baby-tier" understanding of the most common ones; anglo-saxon comes from the angles and the saxons, who were named after their fish-hooks and their axes respectively. Basic stuff.
I haven't hammered out much. Really humans are the only PC race, as beings other than humanity keep to themselves mostly and want to be left alone. Sorcery is something that imperious cultures don't understand but don't deny at all; even the most organized of monotheistic religions believe word for word in the miracles of their clergy and past saints, and though they say other magical traditions are works of the devil and the like, they still take the stance that it actually works. People live the teachings of their own one religion yet guiltily fear the forces present in every other theology as well, and aren't completely wrong to do so. It's a world where the march of technology has brought some conveniences, yet at the same time hasn't even scratched the surface of what it co-exists with yet and has created misery for the human race it hasn't fixed. No one has the whole picture, and the farther someone goes, the more they find things beyond their current understanding of the world. Centuries-old mystics, fountains of youth, silver bullets, lots of monsters, centuries-old treasure and alien human societies past the edge of the map. All of it has the potential to be extremely dangerous, but at the same time human advancement forces people into exposure with the new.

Anyone who was taught about rome has an idea of who the goths were

behindthename.com/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_countries

American here; I knows them thar names. I done read me a lot of readin and even graddiated frum hiar eddycashun.

Urlegi
Rohoners
Adelpfhoi
Minatoi
Al-himms
Wradyzonians
Clovids
Perlikki
Karalli
Polemarids
Ostvoric
Enbertoric

I hope your ethnic group names quota is filled

Ma always said ya was a clever 'un. Now likely as not you'll be 'lected County Reader, and do the readin's at the hall meetins.

Yeah old germanic names such as Rodrik find themselves in normal fantasy anyway, so thats a good start if you are looking for something most audiences will be able to say and remember unlike something like Zestralo Alenov or Sidi Hamete Benengeli.

good thing im a serb then

I like it user.