New thread: It's about Time.

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll bump your thread. No good at cards but whatever: I never was. Now with proper supertype.

>It's about Time.
Eh, feel like I should post this then. Another one that hasn't really been updated since last time, but I am wondering if I can just take off paying the mana cost for the trigger. Maybe up cost of the card itself instead?

Flavor is that he's a time-traveler. He actually comes from the future and traveled back in time to be a hero, using technology gathered from that timeline. He's an interesting example of a hero who starts out as kinda of a dick, but becomes genuinely heroic as time goes by.

Eh, not really sure about this. Seems like hell to enable.

Hmm, can it be changed to just be a trigger to have the player reveal the drawn card? I just feel like that would be easier. Oh yeah, and it should remain legendary and keep its name. And honestly, maybe have the change be permanent?

>Liu Mai
I copied the wording verbatim from Breathstealer's Crypt, so I assume that's how they want it done? I dunno. I wasn't going to add the other stuff because I feel like for 3 mana, getting to see all your opponent's draws and copying their creatures before they even get to play them is pretty good. I sort of prefer it to be temporary, truth be told.
>Booster
I feel like the mana cost on trigger is a safer bet, but I'm not sure about balance. He'd be pretty gross in EDH.

This is hell in EDH since the shuffle doesn't matter, and haste lets him swing in extra turns.

Shit, didn't even think about how this would work in Commander. Thanks for pointing that out. Well, on that note, how about this guy? I imagine though without Haste or evasion he's a lot easier to swallow.

>Breathstealer's Crypt
Didn't notice that. Guess it's fine then.

Eh, nothing spectacular. I feel like it should try to focus on a certain goal or archetype though.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if he'd be exiled in EDH, wouldn't he just go back to the command zone instead? Since the opponent gets a replacement turn, it's not the hugest deal, but again, it's reliably repeatable.

This seems like a whole lot of hoops to jump through to get a conditional counterspell for B that might not even work. I mean Silence is a thing. I dunno how to make this better and keep the spirit of the card as-is.

One more I guess. MTG.Design doesn't have the colorshifted frames so pardon the lack of that. And no, I'm not re-installing MSE. I don't do cards often enough anymore to bother with it.

Okay, how about this?

Is this an idea even worth pursuing?

Goddamn, I can't believe I never anticipated Commander before. Well, I guess for Nemesis I could attach a mana cost to the ability, and probably get rid of Haste on Booster.

>card
Seems like a cool design. Don't know why you would want to use the colorshifted frame for it though, those are for changing colors of already existing cards, not just general out of color stuff. Wizards didn't use the frame for Spectral Rider.

Seems alright.

Not that guy, but I feel like just making the Gifts tokens like Clues would be a lot cleaner.

Wait, are you implying Clues were clean and not a clunky flavorless mechanic to rival Banding?

Because my opinions aren't the same as your opinions. This might be hard to believe, but people are different.

Whoops, thought you said "Why" not "Wait." But I stand by what I said. I don't think Clues are clunky, you do. We have different opinions.

I thought that, but why would I give someone they own as a gift?

>[Keyword] (X) (This creature cannot enter combat with creatures or players without [keyword] and cannot target or be the target of creature abilities. You may pay (X) to remove [keyword] until end of turn.

What would be a good keyword to use here? Phasing is already taken when that basically describes the idea I'm going for here: A creature can't affect anything unless it's "in phase" with them.

Very similar to Shadow, except for the abilities thing. Just give it
>N: This creature loses shadow until end of turn.

"You may only cast Instill Doubt during target opponent's upkeep step.
Secretly choose two nonland card names.
Whenever that player casts a spell this turn (...)"

I think it'd fit better like this. Less words in total, less redundancy. Mechanically, in a multiplayer game, your card lets you cast this during a certain player's upkeep but target another player. Not sure that's the point. The card secret choice should also be part of the resolution, not part of the cast.

Didn't notice this on my first read through, but the last paragraph would be better if it went

Whenever that player casts a spell this turn, if it has the same name as one of the chosen card names, you may reveal your choice and exile that spell.

>"You may only cast Instill Doubt during target opponent's upkeep step.
To both of you, this should be
>Cast ~ only during an opponent's upkeep.
Precedence: Festival.

Struggling to come up with ideas for Dromoka which convey her being extremely controlling and overbearing, which are also both Green and White instead of Mono-White.

How many Flash creatures are too many in a set?

Ixalan has 4 (2 at rare)
HoD has 3 (1 rare, 1 Aura)
Amonkhet has 5 (2 rare, 1 enchantment)
Aether Revolt 1
Kaladesh 2
Eldritch Moon has 9

Thanks man, I'll try and keep it to about 3-4 I think. I wonder why EMN has so many. Must be the spirits.

I really like this.

Pretty sure this is done. Flavor: Rogue AI named Brother Eye uses robotic soldiers called OMAC to take over the world in an alternate reality. The OMACs hunt down and kill supers, then incorporate their corpses into future OMAC models.

4G for a 3/3 and a 4/4? Eh, I say either take the pump down to +1/+1 or make it rare. I think rare would be the better option anyway since I'm not sure how many people new to Magic would immediately realize the synergy. And I think Soulbond should be the first ability here.

I'd give the enchanted creature Exalted, just so it's less trouble if the creature and the Aura have different controllers. Seems really cool otherwise though.

Seems good. Er, but why do you keep using the old frames?

This is really shitty compared to existing variants.

Kimd of a wacky idea, but what about that weird replacement text Mox diamond etc. have as an ability?

I actually did not know that card existed lmao I was comparing mine to that Khans one that cantripped.
I might make it 5 mana and bounce instead of tap.
I didn't actually know there were newer ones.

With regard to the lady, I'm gonna take it down to +1/+1 because this was an old draft from my first attempt at this set.

Eh, sorry for giving you bad advice My fault for not looking it up. Hmm, maybe bounce instead?

>I didn't actually know there were newer ones.
I believe it was changed with M15. Nothing huge, the black border at the bottom is a bit different, the font is one Wizards created now, there's a little holographic thing Wizards puts at the bottom of rare and mythic cards to make them harder to counterfeit. Uh... oh, and they list what set the card was printed in in the bottom left.

It has since been edited to
3UU, Instant
Tap, no untap
Spell Mastery - Bounce instead

Straight bounce is about 4 mana. Just make it, say, 1UU and uncommon.

That is, if it's still only sorcery speed.

It is always an instant now. The idea is that it's pretty bad without Spell Mastery but good with it.
4 mana is probably fine, in that case.

I'm not sure which of these two i prefer.

Goddamnit, I meant to attach these.

That ability is useful but costing it 4 mana on a 6 mana creature that yo can't attack with to use seems pretty steep. Maybe something to do with effecting creatures with lower power than hers (yours and opponents) because she feels the need to protect?

I play In Garruk's Wake in my EDH deck and I would probably pay that too, flavour is really great to.

Also I use older frames because I don't like the little foil symbol on the bottom of new rares and mythics.

That's a solid card. Useful coming on ,useful on the field, useful dying. I don't play pauper but I could imagine it would be very good there.

Ban your opponents casting noncreature spells while she's on the field? Solidly GW.

Seems fine to me. Big splashy board wipe.

So, I'm kinda liking that red gets land tapdown now. It needs more tricks, and you can flavor it all kinds of ways.

>Future's End
Cool, thanks, I'll move it over to the finished folder.

Left is mono-blue and very weak. Right has a lot of drawbacks just to make Mind Spring instant.

I’m new to this; seems like a fun thought exercise. Any and all feedback welcome.

>we're back to this again

Same as before. Trying to represent Starfire's energy blasts as an interesting burn spell.

>Azilen
Activated ability seems kinda cool, and I like how it combos with the triggered ability. But I'll be straight with you, I'm really not a fan of this dual-color costs but tri-color identities design.

>Dakar
Activated ability doesn't directly combo with the triggered ability. And it seems weird how you throw in FStrike with Skulk. If you use Skulk correctly, you'll never need FStrike. Oh, and Skulk is dead anyway, so... yeah.

>Navi
Weird as fuck. Triggered ability should just be an activated ability. Again, not a fan of how the activated ability here doesn't really combo with the triggered ability.

>Shaw
Lifelink? What about R or G makes you think Lifelink belongs here? Ability is absurd, Regen is dead. Making this card just BG would fix the problem with Lifelink, and kinda shows how weak and shallow this dual-color cost but tri-color identity design is.

>Taiga
Just another mish-mash of designs.

I've noticed that most of these do nothing more than make the creatures bigger to beat face. Can you try mixing it up a little? Making it so they actually play into archetypes or deck builds beyond just "Magic: The Tappening?"

bump

Rolled 10, 7, 7, 7, 4, 2 = 37 (6d10)

Might as well. First two for color, not doing theme.

Rolled 2, 10, 3, 8, 5, 7 = 35 (6d10)

>Green, Red, enchantment, tax/control, CMC 3, common
Hope this is balanced.

Rolled 1, 4, 2, 5, 7, 10 = 29 (6d10)

>White, Green, sorcery, tax/control, CMC 3, uncommon
Jesus, really? Well, at least it's an uncommon this time.

Couldn't think of a name for this one. One more.

>White, Blue, instant, voltron/buff, CMC 4, mythic
Eh, not really sure about this. I feel like it's really hard to design voltron/buff spell at mythic level.

Not white, and I wouldn't consider it a buff spell.

Plow Under is fairly strong, and so is this.

It's balanced, but not common.

Azilen is interesting. Dakar is all over the place just to meet color requirements.

Navi is neat, but the activated is too cheap given the potential abuse.
>owners' hands

Shaw: Lifelink isn't green, and does nothing for the design besides add value. The triggered ability is nuts.

Taiga is boring. You need too much pump to make the activated worthwhile. Haste is tacked on.

Doesn't hit players so it's not a burn spell. It's an average removal spell.

Commander 2017 fodder

why is this black?

make it mono black so I can use it to kill people with phage

>Not white, and I wouldn't consider it a buff spell.
It's based on Mirrorweave. But yeah, as I said, I had a hard time thinking of a buff/voltron spell appropriate for mythic rarity.

>It's balanced, but not common.
That's what I was afraid of.

Didn't know burn applied only to player damage. OK.

>[...] If that creature's toughness is 4 or greater, [...]

Mind magic illusions killing people off felt more UB than just mono black, or should it strictly be a mono blue thing? I also made , the two are related

Not him, but B doesn't fit here in terms of mechanics at all. Making permanent copies like this is something only U does. The only time B gets in on this is usually if it's copying something in a graveyard or something that would normally go there. (This is usually flavored as turning creatures into Zombies or Vamires.) Either change the card to be more in-line with UB, or keep it and make it mU. I understand the desire to keep cards relating to a character in that character's colors, but there will come a point where you have to put that to the side.

One more thing: Have you thought of changing the card so everyone gets a token copy except for whoever controls the enchanted permanent?

Fuck I messed up. What I said about B was wrong. Instead of making exact copies, it usually makes tokens with the same P/T, buy without any abilities.

>but there will come a point where you have to put that to the side.

No you explained it pretty well my man, I just thought fiendish illusion magic spilled into UB, but it doesn't. Breaking the color pie for flavor reasons makes a dumb card usually and I don't like doing it, I need to brush up on my color wheel. It's been made mono blue though, thanks for the info

Well I got the idea from Fractured Identity in C17 and it's already pretty similar, though I've always loved Death by Dragons.

Well, Wizards recently made an article on the color pie. It's in the OP, but here's the link

>card
Have you changed this at all since last time?

I'll give that a read

As for the card that might not be an updated version, in the set editor I have

>Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost greater than or equal to the exiled card’s converted mana cost, copy the exiled card. You may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.

Which might be the Veeky Forums corrected version

Yup, that's the wording I gave you last time.

Mister Bones. He's not a skeleton, he's a human, it's just that his flesh and organs are invisible. His skin secretes cyanide, so he kills anyone he touches. Not a whole lot to do with this guy in terms of design. Hoping the cost and ETB tapped help justify the last ability. If not, I'll adjust it some more. Oh, and 4 power because he has superhuman strength, but I'm not married to it, so I'll tone it down if it's too much.

Seems like a more abusable Master of Cruelties, but unplayable because of the full black mana cost.

BBBB was for balance, but I can scale that back if it's too much. Also, Master of Cruelties has a few more hoops to jump through than Bones, and it actually can't kill a player by itself.

And speaking of abusable, here's Spy Smasher again.

Page 10 bump.

Playing this with stuff like Spark Elemental and other hasty high-power creatures is really strong, I think. I'm not sure you can call it broken, but it'd be pretty effective.

I feel like making this be one card drawn or discarded would be a bit better; toning down the casting cost to compensate. I just think it'd be more interesting as a cheaper body.

Amazing artwork. Whats the source?

>Daring Assassin
Eh, I'll change up the design then. How about...
>Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, target creature an opponent controls gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Change rarity to uncommon, and P/T to 2/2.

>Spy Smasher
1UB then?

>card
I feel like the Scry would be more useful before the draw. Maybe make it a replacement ability? If you discard, scry then draw, if not, just draw.

What would you like to see in a murder mystery/Noir set besides the given investigate, flashback, and conspiracies?

Murder. At common, where it belongs.

Eh, Morbid?

Conspiracies don't work in regular sets.

>assassin
Sure. Give it a go.
>Smasher
Might work. Would be interesting to see what other anons think about it.
>Cheshire
Seems fine to me. I'd make it "for as long as you control @" or use the Banisher Priest clause to make removing her more of a priority, and to add flavor, but it is already kinda wordy.

>Dream Reader
I was trying to tone the power down a bit, since what amounts to a free Scry 2 every turn is pretty good in my eyes, so I wanted to make it take a turn to start setting your draws. That and when you do start setting your draws, you're less likely to want to discard to get the scry, so frontloading it means the utility runs its course a bit quicker I think.

So, due to a weird in-joke on discord, I made these in a fit of insomnia-powered madness the other day. I figure that if there's anywhere to post it, it might as well be here.

And here's part 2. I should change Withengar to "Winegar", but I'm lazy.

Meh. These are just existing cards with "eat some stew" tacked on somewhere, and nowhere as novel as Fat Ass. Interesting once, boring repeated so many times.

It's also the same boring beef stew for each one.
>no gumbo
>no chili
>no cok au vin
>no scouse
>no hot pot
are you even trying mate?

Is the /co/user posting cards here the classic /co/user, or one of his many imitators?

Pretty sure it's him; he mentioned losing all his MSE stuff in a hard drive crash or something.
>card
I dunno about the costing, but the concept seems okay, if a bit unfun. It doesn't really screw voltron decks or burn or anything, so it's pretty niche.

That feel when nobody's ever asked where you went.

Basically the same as the last, except it essentially gives BB Changeling, even after it copies a creature.

Yeah, it's me. And yeah, as the other guy said, my hard drive crashed, so I've had to basically rebuild my entire CO set. 4plebs is a godsend though, it's made the job so much easier. And I wasn't aware I was popular enough to spawn imitators. Unless you're just talking about other people doing comic book stuff. I'm not sure I'd call them imitators just for pulling form the same material, but they could be, no idea.

>card
I'm not sure about the way this works currently, being able to punish multiple opponents at once. I think I'd change it to
>At the beginning of each opponent's end step, that player discards a card if he or she cast two or more spells this turn.
>At the beginning of each opponent's end step, that player sacrifices a creature if he or she attacked with two or more creatures this turn.
That said, I think the effects are pretty cool. "You have so much of this thing, maybe you should lose some of it."

>That feel when nobody's ever asked where you went.
Sorry, but I'm pretty bad at remembering people. Who are you and where did you go?

Sorry, no idea how to help word that last ability. Seems nice though.

Eh, I don't really understand the can't attack or block ability. Oh yeah, and shouldn't it recur itself?

So, I've been thinking about making a fairytale/Disney themed set. It would incorporate a mechanic, Dream counters, which would be placed on creatures and maybe permanents. They wouldn't do anything on their own, but there would be cards which would benefit, or hinder, permanents with counters on them.
My question is, would this mechanic be too parasitic and boring to use in a large way?
For example, this would be a common in the set.

Deadman. Ability is to represent him temporarily possessing someone.

>They wouldn't do anything on their own, but there would be cards which would benefit, or hinder, permanents with counters on them.
>My question is, would this mechanic be too parasitic and boring to use in a large way?
Most definitely. Sorry. Hell, I've gotten complaints about using do-nothing counters on cards that actually use them for something, I can't imagine people would ever react positively for counters that do nothing on their own. It honestly sounds like you should just try something like energy counters from Kaladesh. I realize those didn't go on permanents, but they interacted with other cards without having any in inherent meaning by themselves.

>counters that do nothing on their own.
What I mean to say is, counters without any synergy with the cards they're on, or cards that require them but can't give themselves any of those counters. Do-nothing counters are fine if the card they're on does something with them.

what rarity would you put a filter like this? is it playable?

Page 10 bump.

iv seen stuff likethat, it seems usable

Sorry, is Thor not actually a god?

This reminded me that I want Return to Return to Ravnica to be a detrctive noir style feel but then I remembered it needs to have Investigate and Ravnica has no fucking room for extraneous keywords and that made me sad.

I actually dont know what to say without more since a setting thats just "noir" needs something else. Ravnica is already a city so that angle is done. I think you need some other hook. A lot of tropes for this are pretty visual.

I'm not too familiar with the Marvel side, but I believe they're kind of vague on what exactly the Asgardians are. Sometimes they're actual Gods, other times just super advanced beings from another dimension. I haven't touched on the Asgardians very much, but if I feel like it, I can always change them to be Gods later. Right now I prefer Asgardians because I feel like people expect certain things out of the God creature type, and that's kind of constraining. I'm not against using the God type though, I've been using it for DC's New Gods. Though that's because the type is in the name for them.