Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How well do your party members get along with each other?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/fr9piFCi
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy88yj/faq#35v5748eaic9n8m
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pretty good, except there's usually that one guy who's confrontational for the sake of being confrontational and demands that you read his mind until the GM steps in.

You know, there's one in every group.

Pretty good. They don't screw each other over in combat, and they stay out of each other's territory during downtime by keeping a river between them.

Being the only good person in a majority evil party puts a damper.

>look at nature fang druid

What possessed Paizo to give an Archetype exactly 1d6 of sneak attack and no more?

the same thing that possessed them to give Druid motherfucking Studied Target and almost full Slayer Talents?

But why exactly 1d6 of sneak attack.

shit nigga I dunno? You can always take one of the domains to boost it up to 5-6d6 total?

I want to know about intrigue! Someone tell me about it now!

Oh yeah with the Crocodile domain! Though the grapple seems a little wasted there.

Maybe they tried to copy-paste the ability descriptions from Slayer, and copied the wrong paragraph.

Editorial error?

Can't you also take a feat for sneak attack boosts too? 1d6 sneak attack isn't huge but nature fang seems solid outside of that abberation

STUPID ANIME

Wonderfully. It's a stellar conglomeration of personality

Bump from old thread. Thanks.

Really not well. Get along swimmingly with one, fine with another, and I basically ignore the last one completely.

Extra Blessings or Fervor or whatever so you can buff yourself up even more than normally.

No such thing as Extra Fervor and I find I'm not using all my blessings each day. Thanks for the response though.

There was an Undine girl, she was anime and nobody liked her so naturally Godefroy invited her to come guide the group through a mountain pass. There were some Goblins who got destroyed.

How do I stop using synth summoners when designing NPCs? The class is just so customizable, they look normal when not synthed up, and they can be challenge in battle without being monstrous races, or dumping excessive amounts of loot on them

Aegis. It's a Synth Summoner, but more balanced and interesting.

They're not similar at all, but I don't really feel like going super autistic into why Aegis and Synth Summoner are not alike aside from point based customization.

I want to hear your autism!

How high of a UMD is "too high"? Any level.

If your bonus equals or exceeds the DC of the hardest check you'd ever want to make, you went too far.

Above 40 because you always succeed at that point. Above 20 at lower levels one implies that somebody has been tinkering with the idea of breaking the game with it somehow.

Well, the lowest DC for the skill is 20.
The highest is 40.

So... yeah.

Can't you craft scrolls with a CL higher than 20?

How do you handle extra spells learnt during character creation? For wizards and alchemists and anyone else that needs a book to prepare stuff

Technically, perhaps. But in practice I rather doubt you're going to find such a thing.
You will almost never craft such a thing, because how many campaigns even get to the late teens? Then we have reluctance by GMs to craft rules for going over 20. haven't read it fully, but PF Mythic isn't 20+, its an alternate progression.

3.5 has Epic level stuff, but really.

I think you still automatically fail on a 1, so a 38 is ideal.

No, you don't automatically fail on a 1 with skills

Aegis is playing Psi-powered Ironman, or newest incarnation of spiderman if you chose the skin suit

Synth you are becoming a figment of your imagination, though typically focused on an aberrant number natural attacks making them look like things out of nightmares

So Synth is going full Digital Devil Saga?

Yes, but that would require you to dip right into mythic CL bullshittery.

UMd is a special exception. With a nat 1 when using activation items you are not able to retry for 24 hours with that item.

>You will almost never craft such a thing, because how many campaigns even get to the late teens? Then we have reluctance by GMs to craft rules for going over 20.

Where's the rule that says scrolls are capped by your CL?

I'm pretty sure you can craft beyond your CL by adding +5 to the DC. It's in the FAQ.

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy88yj/faq#35v5748eaic9n8m

You can craft a CL 30 scroll at level 1 if you hit the Spellcraft DC somehow.

False

>Retry?
>Yes, but if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can’t try to activate that item again for 24 hours.
>if you ever roll a natural 1... and you fail
>and you fail
>AND YOU FAIL

If you would not fail the skill and you roll a nat 1, then you do not fail and lose the ability to use the item.

Close, but not quite. If you roll a natural 1 and fail, you can't retry for 4 hours. If you roll a natural 1 and your bonuses still allow you to succeed, you don't have to wait 24 hours.

No skill automatically fails on a natural 1. One skill (UMD) does have an added effect, but doesn't automatically fail.

Well, I would have said common sense....
But it seems that this doesn't apply to Paizo >55770478
Even though that link doesn't go where it says it will.

24, not 4. My bad.

haven't played but based on the screen shots yes.
>want to play a drider or any monstrous race and GM won't let you, take synth and still be able to walk around in town when not suited up.

Does creating a magic item require the creator to be of the same or higher caster level of the item itself? This doesn’t seem to square with the CLs listed for specific magic items; for instance, a Belt of Giant Strength +2 has CL 8th, but the only spell required in its creation, bull’s strength, has a minimum caster level of 3.

Am I missing anything here?

Though the listed Caster Level for a pearl of power is 17th, that caster level is not part of the Requirements listing for that item. Therefore, the only caster level requirement for a pearl of power is the character has to be able to cast spells of the desired level. However, it makes sense that the minimum caster level of the pearl is the minimum caster level necessary to cast spells of that level–it would be strange for a 2nd-level pearl to be CL 1st. For example, a 3rd-level wizard with Craft Wondrous Item can create a 1st-level pearl, with a minimum caster level of 1. He can set the caster level to whatever he wants (assuming he can meet the crafting DC), though the pearl’s caster level has no effect on its powers (other than its ability to resist dispel magic). If he wants to make a 2nd-level pearl, the caster level has to be at least 3, as wizards can’t cast 2nd-level spells until they reach character level 3. He can even try to make a 3rd-level pearl, though the minimum caster level is 5, and he adds +5 to the DC because he doesn’t meet the “able to cast 3rd-level spells” requirement.

Yes, excepting that RAW, everyone but elves take forever to suit up, and Elves take until level 9 to be able to do it in a combat time-frame. Even then, it's a full round action.

Thank you both for clarifying that. That must have been a hold-over from my original GM who taught me to play. Odd.

A lot of groups are strangely in love with autofail on 1/Autosuccess on 20 on skills...

And slapstick comedy on Attack rolls of 1.

He had crit cards. My throat was destroyed on a crit fail at level 1, destroying my ability to cast completely.

really good besides the one edgy kid who min maxed a bloodrager and tries to prove he is better than the unoptimized feral gnasher. He has lost both fights due to being a retard.

>level 1 Monk has a 9.75% chance of manhandling himself more than being a monk has already done to him
>level 20 hasted Monk spending a ki point has a 37% chance of manhandling himself
Fumble rules are pure shit

I was in a game where somebody rolled a 1 and was knocked uncon for 1d6 minutes.

Was this game in upstate NY? If so, that was funny as hell KT. I regret nothing as your DM.

>autofails and critfails ever being things

I hate this meme.

I remember the first time I tried to play an unarmed character in any rpg, I tried to deck a fishman that attacked our boat and "critfailed", falling flat on my face. I attempted to use my remaining actions to keep punching from the ground, and rolled a bunch of crits. The DM said "you critfailed you lose all your actions"

Nope.

>PC rolls to shoot
>le ebin critfail
>"You crit yourself with your gun, your gun breaks, and you lose the rest of your actions."

In my group's case they're that special subtype of That Guy who uses "roleplaying" as an excuse to be an asshole.

>Undercuts everyone's attempts to talk
>Steals the spotlight at every opportunity
>Snarks constantly when people are trying to be sincere
>Goes out of their way to talk about how stupid they think the plot and other characters are
>As soon as they're called on it, they say they're only talking IC and didn't mean it

If you're going to do crit fails at least relegate it to dice pools or games with strong bell curves. Crit fails are nowhere near as retarded when you have to roll 14 1s on d6s or have to roll for that half-percent 3 on a 3d6.

>you critfail you lose all your action

why.

Because they don't understand math.

>Start First session of a game that was in progress
>Have been made aware of every character, most of them have their own little quirks
>Made mine a drow rogue, allowed to munchkin my little heart out since most of the partty can't for shit, they're grossly under-prepared in anything rogue related
>One player started the game (now at level 3) with a Vorpal Shortsword
>No bonus to anything, just vorpal, but is also too much for the character, is actively killing them in game
>"cool" Thinks I

>First couple of Minutes
>Vorpal dude rolls to hit
>1
>Rolls to "confirm" a negative experience
>2
>Low enough it makes him swing at someone adjacent instead
>Rolls for that, 4/6
>Me
>Rolls to hit
>20
>He cuts off my characters head before I literally take my first non-speaking action as that character
>Other player uses a janky rod of Resurrection to rez my character, breaking the rod (again, rolling for the chance of both res and breaking)
>I literally offered to make a new character
>Nobody suggested just rolling it back
>People actually got mildly annoyed that a RoR was "wasted" at level 3
By far the strangest experience of any game I've had.
Critfails and their effect on groups should be purged, they make people turn into brainless zombies insisting on dice rolls.

Tell me about your paladin, or the coolest paladin you've seen in one of your games.

Also, any tips on avoiding ending up like pic related?

>avoiding ending up like pic related
Don't play with a GM who has a corruption fetish.

Don't masturbate.

because the motherfucker was retarded, and hated how I picked unarmed in his fallout game, with rules for guns degrading on nat1's

I want to play a paladin of betrayal~

Bard-a-din

Someone run a new game

Hard Mode: Not an AP

Dante Must Die Mode: Not shit

>Does creating a magic item require the creator to be of the same or higher caster level of the item itself?

No, the caster level is not a requirement. Even if it was, it could be ignored like any other requirement aside from the mandatory feat by raising the DC by 5.

How do you build it?

How do you play it?

Godefroy is DHB right? Does Godefroy like her? He has like 8 bastards right?

Those are the three options, you can only pick two.
Which two do you pick?

with gestalt

You gestalt a bard and a paladin

you obliterate

New game and not shit

APs are lame but salvageable

So I am in fact playing a LG necromancer, but hear me out. This is the character and the reasoning:
>Dirge Bard
>adherent to one of the Psychopomp Ushers, Mrtyu, Death's Consort
>is tasked with the irradiation of undead who violate the normal cycle
>uses Dance of the Dead to create undead to help with this, Dance of the Dead is not evil because it only creates temporary undead
>a fanatical religious zealot bent on the destruction of undead and violators of death's natural order

Cool, but I think you mean eradication, not irradiation. Though, if you did mean irradiation, that's cool too. Nuclear skeletons sound neat.

Got two.

A friend and I ended up both playing Paladins of Sarenrae, but trying to be as different as possible.

I was a Wisdom 5 Ifrit Swash/Paladin. all Dex, major show off, would never take the first swing, and always open with diplomacy, but if the enemies refused he showed no mercy. He was the exemplar Paladin leading by faith and example, leaping off cliffs to catch falling allies (one time I saw a GM roll 22 damage on 15d6 against him, when 26 would have killed.), riding giant summoned turtles into battle, and never hesitating to throw himself into harm's way

My friend had a Half-Orc redeemer paladin with an Earthbreaker. He never dealt lethal damage, was always a bit taciturn and pragmatic, rarely speaking unless spoken to. However, he refused to slay even the most wicked enemies, even if they were long past redeeming. He was the councilor paladin, always providing a quiet word when it was needed most, promoting peace, healing, and understanding in all circumstances.

The pair died last May, fighting side by side against a demonic army. The half-orc died after using Paladin's Sacrifice to stop a nat 20 from a Balor's Vorpal sword. The Ifrit died to the same Balor's death throes, after leading it away from the paralyzed and wounded party.

The group hasn't met since then due to scheduling and personal issues. I doubt we ever will again. I'd like to imagine the two of them standing side by side in Nirvana, looking down on their victory, and for the first time, saying nothing.

2 levels of Paladin, the rest of Bard or Skald.

Works great!

Too lewd

Does someone have the Kaidan pdf's? I looked the links in the OP, the archives, google, but I couldn't find them.
I would really appreciate if someone posts them since I'm looking to make a Japanese themed campaign.

Which skills would you consider to be the most useful? Which ones do you think the most worthless?

Perception, Diplomacy, Spellcraft.

Appraise, Knowledge(Nobility), Fly

perception, spellcraft, UMD, fly, stealth for useful

appraise, knowledge (nobility), lore for useless

>GM talking about a potential sequel campaign when we wrap up the one we're in, get hype because finally a chance to man it up and play a big bulky frontliner instead of pussying it out with dexfags and casty-types
>GM proceeds talk about how cool it would be if I took over the blank-slate sorceress NPC my currant character is watching over for it, since her existence was directly because of decisions I made, in and out of character
>other players start to agree, citing how much effort I had already put into the NPC
>mfw realizing my jokes about connecting all my characters to the same family are probably to blame for this as well

When have you had past decisions come back to haunt you, /pfg/? When have you had to look for the words to help you put your foot down about something?

Not same user, but you had me at the name. Regardless of the mechanics:
How does one roleplay it? Ideas for character personalities are just blanking on me.

No, synth is just you overlapping with your eiidolan.

Just say "I don't want to play that, sorry." I know it might seem like a killjoy thing to do but ultimately you're doing it for your enjoyment and if you would rather do something else then do it

SHELYN
DESNA

>SHELYN
>DESNA
Wat
You can't tell me that worship of one (or two) specific gods is enough to roleplay a character or something, right?
I don't understand.

Completely depends, Bards/Skalds are super versatile.

I'm playing the character as a revolutionary, focused on inspiring people to follow righteous causes, and to rise up against the injustices perpetrated by the decadent and the corrupt.

I deal poorly with peer pressure, especially from people I enjoy playing with. Right now, given how a sequel is still a ways away, I've left it at "I don't think I really want to play that, but I'll have to see how I feel when the time comes".

>I deal poorly with peer pressure

Then what the fuck do you expect us to do about it? Either you nut up and say something, or continue to be a whinging mimsy in silence.

Your choice.

I mean, I hadn't really come to the thread for advice, it was merely a situation that felt amusing thinking back on it and I was curious whether anyone would have similar situations worth sharing. I had just said how I left it with the group in the post you're quoting.

where are her pants.

How do I make a kineticist monk that doesn't loose the main point of being a kineticist (overload). The archetype is crap

Stolen by the BBEG, this is her quest.

Can't she just buy new ones? Pants aren't that expensive

Has a curse been placed upon her that she can't wear pants?

They were really comfy AND made her ass look good.

thats no reason to go pantsless! Yes, losing the primary pants is sad, thats fair, but personal protection comes first!

There's a fiend stealing all the pants. There's not to be found.