/cyoag/ - CYOA General

Previous thread: Archive and other resources: pastebin.com/vrqYhnpu

Other urls found in this thread:

pinterest.com/pin/809803576716961575/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OC from last thread. With an update on page 3.
(1/4)

(2/4)

Finally, a full and complete 1.0

This being a full version means that while I may still tweak things going forward (as many authors do), I will prioritize respecting builds that have been posted from this version onward, taking care to minimize changes that "ruin" them.

This doesn't mean I won't clarify powers that are unclear.

Fyi, there is no way to bypass the 111 year subjective time limit on any given life. The only true immortality possible here is the mysterious and nebulous one offered by the Reader in the opening preamble to begin once you have completed your Dreaming.

I will collect feedback and builds over this week, upgrade to 1.1 this coming weekend, and then move on to the next project.

At the end of the image are the list of books on the waitlist for a possible expansion; feel free to throw in more suggestions, but it's possible nothing will ever come of it, sorry.

Perfection now grants only ONE extra sub-power. But a description elsewhere mentions how you can master them all... eventually. Perfection also grants a minor boost to your overall potency of ability use (but again, you'll be becoming more powerful over time, too).
(3/4)

(4/4)

I'm considering adding more elementals. If there's anything that really interests you (and there exists a decent, feminine picture that illustrates such homogeneous creature), I might add it. Though I do want to stick to physical things like fire or ice rather than abstract like time.

>Perfection nerf
This nerf is acceptable IF it means that you will always be 20% above where someone would be without Perfection. On the other hand, if there is a ceiling in power and Perfection just helps you get there faster... kinda trash.

?

What happens if you take Dynamic Size and Sealed together? Do you get the power boost without the size boost, do you turn into a large human, or do you just slowly become more and more elemental before eventually growing as normal?

I think it's fine....I mean not every elemental gonna be able to learn all the sub-powers of it's own element.

Would someone be able to get stronger even if they were sealed? What if they were to become a primordial elemental?

>I think it's fine....I mean not every elemental gonna be able to learn all the sub-powers of it's own element.
What I mean is, if as Beri says you can eventually master them all anyway, and you become more powerful overtime, then if there is a cap to that power that Perfection just helps you reach *faster* it's not a worthy power. If, on the other hand, your effective power cap is 20% higher, then it's still a worthy power to pick.

Honestly I don't know....I mean you have a valid point so I think it's better if I let the Creator handle this if it's okay.

I think the nerf is kinda of silly, the fact that you can eventually master them all makes perfection sort of moot as since you are an elemental you are essentially immortal.
And how does that work with hybrid as you are tainted with another elemental power, would it mean that you can also eventually master all the uses of said power?

I needed that laugh today user, thanks

I did mean that, yes. I got distracted while replying to Speaking of:

Yeah, I decided to tweak it just a bit.

Vani wouldn't really hurt you. Especially not while you're using Eclipse. It's just a little candle. It isn't that bright. Not to mention Harmony. As long as Vani likes you, you'll be completely immune to what minor effect she would have.

It isn't so much that I'm looking for ideas as I am looking for art. I have very particular requirements.

Think of it like a clicker game, but you start out with a 20% income boost on your first play through. Sure, after enough resets, that 20% won't mean anything since you'll be getting 20,000% boosts, but it helps you accelerate early on. There isn't so much a ceiling, but it is a head start (and the climb is very slow, countless human lifetimes to notice much a difference).

Your body would grow larger or shrink smaller in whatever ways would work for a human (becoming taller, older, more plump, etc.) But after a certain point, there's nothing that could be done aside from just piling on fat, so instead of that, your elemental traits just start to show (if you'll look closer at the image for that option, the girl is drippy like a water elemental).

They could grow stronger, but they would eventually reach the ceiling of human potential.

There's no real power cap. It's just a very slow process. The current toughest elementals around have been there since the dawn of time. If there were a cap, Perfection would allow you to rise above it by 20%, but since there isn't, it's just a boost.

You don't just passively master new abilities. You have to spend years and years in training. Getting some of that headache out of the way does a lot to help the sanity of someone used to a human's sense of time.
You can't master all the sub-powers of the hybrid element.

I dunno perfection seems still worth taking because it sounds like the 20% extra power is like a 20% on top of your actual power also you are a pure elemental and that helps with the ladies.

Redoing Wood Elemental Build, since perfection no longer good (hey, it happens!)
>Wood
>Verdant Form & Recycle
>Split, Hybrid: Invisibility
>Mana Crystal
>Adventure, Uncover Ancient Power

Build up power and experience for a while, store as much energy as possible in the crystal using Recycle. Then, use a bunch of copies of myself, invisible, and see whether we can get to that anchor.

Romance with the wizard is more than possible during our adventures, but Do Lewd Things will have to wait (out of actions for the turn!) Become World Tree.

lots of books I didn't expect to see were there
good nostalgia and comfy factor
I'll try and make a build some time soon and if I notice anything weird I'll post it

If perfection is only an initial boost then that is reslly boring.
As that would mean no memes with primordial elementals and perfection.

Would an Elemental with Sealed Power still eventually gain power on par with normal elementals, or are they stuck below grade forever?

Beri, if I'm using Recycle to charge magic crystal, as opposed to charging it by absorbing my element (as most elementals do), then my solid form is no impediment, correct?

I mean, I have these ideas:

>Plastic elemental? (Weak to wood, since it's made of a human-made materials and wood is completely natural)
>Radiation Elemental (Can be used in ways other than poison, like radio waves and electromagnets.)
>Salt Elemental
>Mud elemental (Eh, kind of on the fence for this one, but it has more pictures than the others.)
>Poison Elemental (Poisonous things have existed since time immemorial, and it doesn't fit in one of the already-added categories.)
>Mana elemental (I don't know how mana really works in this 'verse, but if it's a tangible thing, then a pure mana-based elemental might fit.)

Reposting my favorite

Really cute CYOA.

I mean, it's a permanent boost, but since there's no ceiling, you could still get outpaced by an elemental that dedicates themself to training everyone.

Those do have a ceiling they'll hit, but they grow at the same rate.

Correct. But really, even solid elementals can absorb their element. Recycle is just a faster means of it. Plus, you can absorb animal life, too. You can directly drain the life out of your enemies.

I considered a number of those, but (for all but mud) I opted out of them since it was taking too long to find an image.

Hm...I’m really a fan of Sealed Power, as I’m rather attached to my own form. However, if there’s a significantly lower power ceiling, it’s not worth. Might stick with perfection, even with the nerf

Can I become a primordial while sealed?
If so does then what happens?
Wish, I could be perfect or hybrid while still having my human form as I am attached to it.

Cloud build redux:
>Cloud
Obviously.
>Condensation
>Thunderclap
Getting a good variety early on, and charging technology is always useful.

>Dynamic Size
MORE POWER!
>Sealed Power
I have literally no idea how this interacts with Condensation, but this means that I can abuse Dynamic Size without being too big to fit through a doorway, and dabble into non-Cloud elemental magics (though Dust magic or whatever would still be out of my reach) - even potentially gaining a spell to temporarily undo the Seal for emergencies.

>Elemental Pylon
Just straight up cheating my way to the upper echelons of power.

>Study
I can at least dabble in spellcraft.
>Hunt for Materials
Probably going to hold off on this until I get strong enough to bring the Pylon with (or remotely siphon off the energy), so in the meantime
>Do Lewd Things
She probably wouldn't be *as* into it until I developed that unsealing spell, but I can probably pull off a bit of a light show and do some genie-play in the meantime.

Rolled 1, 19, 8, 12, 2, 18 = 60 (6d20)

>Setting
Pipes and Valve

>Magic Level
Folkloric Livin'

>Grit
Cinematic Flair

>Role
Barkeep
Monster Hunter

>Perks
Occult Knowledge (Monster Hunter)
Gunslinger
Survivalist
Sleight of Hand

>Companion
Phillip Thompson

>Nemesis
Waifu Two-Skins (Because she's another rabid monster)

Joshua McAddams, owner and bartender of the Silver Bullet Tavern by day, merciless monster hunter by night. Accompanied by his friend Phillip Thompson, who writes about their wild adventures without permission, he leads a one man quest against the forces of the supernatural.

>Quests
Super Strip
Druiduss
A Date With Manifest Destiny
Return To Gwanji
Tendril Terror
Wrath Of The Spider Woman

I found a nice magic elemental image, but I don't care enough to create a Pinterest account for it.

pinterest.com/pin/809803576716961575/

>Pipes and Valve
>Magic Level: High Noon Fantasy
I'm always going to pick magic
>Grit: Cinematic Flare
Not TOO much challenge, thank you.
>Role: Mage, Doctor
Perks: Silver Tongue, First Aid (free), Occult Knowledge (free), Survivalist, Escape Artist
>Nemesis: Agewe Ugamundo
Thinks he's a bigger deal than he is.
>Companion: Annabelle Rothschild
Flirty fried
>Companion: Waifu Two-Skins
Waifu. It's in the name.

Quests: ALL OF THEM but Goblin and Friendly Stranger.
>Date 3+7
Neither success nor failure. I convince her to tone down her quest somewhat, but many still go to their death.
>Samurai 17+3
Success, using my magic no doubt. I now have an ancient sword I'm not great at using.
>Pirates 10+6
Success! Pirate friends.
>Airships 7+6
Shit, that was close. I barely escape being enslaved by air raiders. Won't tangle with them again...
>Witch 19+7
She is *obliterated*. And I have a magic gun!
>Gwanji 11+6
Neither success nor failure. I make peaceful contact with some dinosaurs, but have no dinosaur mount. Sad.
>Super Strip 12+6
Hah! She had be down to my boxers, but I pulled it out at the last moment! Er... word choice. But magic cards!
>Tendril 13+6
Tentacle Gem... I'm sure I have no use for such a thing... *whistles*
>Lost City 16+13
One of my last adventures and I recover huge treasures to bring back to my waifu's tribe and live in peace. But one more adventure first...
>Spider Woman 2+6
FAILURE. And now I'm terrified of spiders... best to quit now. My adventuring days are behind me...

Thanks!

Let's get to be a con-man.

>Coal Furnace
>Folkloric livin'
>Real Life
Well, Without a good supply of oddities my business would go into the ground!

>Salesman
>Showman
>Shaman/Mage
Knowing how to use what you get is just as important as sellin' it.

>Silver Tongue
>Escape Artist
>Sleight of Hand
>Roadrunner
>Eidetic Memory
>Occult Knowledge
All the skills needed to be a business man of questionable reputation.

>Agewe (Ally)
>Mcree (Foe)
Agawa may be a negro, but he's the best friend I've got in this world. But that Mcree fellow is trying to run us into the next life for doin' a few swindles! How mad is that!

>Druiduss
>Return to Gwanji
>The lost city
Seems like perfect opportunity to collect some strange things!

Time for Mr. Maybe's traveling museum of the Weird and Wild to get on the road!

I don't think you can take three roles?

I Guess there was a Mystery Box.

This might work for poison elemental, if it passes enough for flat-chested girl.

Great CYOA! (my build )

Minor criticism, though: The fact that some "roles" grant skills and others don't means that you are hurting yourself seriously by picking any roles that don't have skills.

I would suggest granting five skills to everyone (which is the most you can get with roles), and then make certain roles *require* certain skills, instead of granting them. E.g. if you want to be Doctor you HAVE to pick First Aid.

I thought it was something else, since it wasn't connected to the main roles thing.

I don't get it... when does that Mystery Box apply?

Yeah, it's graphically dumb that they are split into different papers; definitely shouldn't be designed like that. Pretty sure those are supposed to be under Roles as well, though, since they don't have a different heading.

This also might fit as a mana elemental. Looks kind of aetherial.

At the beginning, when the narrator mentions a path you can take instead of making choices with the train controls.

Water build (Revised edition)
>Element
Water: Well duh, water is best element.
>Sub-powers
Slime body: I can't just let go the ooey gooey status can i?
Condensation conjuration: This gives you waterbending and more ways to access water. I would say this is an elemental power for all water elementals.
Canteen: You never know when you could need more water on your hands...

>Enchantments
Perfection: I am not obsessed with training all the time to get more power, i would rather take it easy and go at my own pace. I also get a deep sense of pride at the feeling that i am a pure elemental
Harmony: I don't want to deal with the tragedy of "My best friend is a fire elemental and we can't hug eachother!"

>Item
Vani: She is just so cute! All other choices are worthless compared to her.

>Quests
Hunt for materials: It is the least i can do for her, afterall it would be selfish to just leave her with her dreams unfullfilled right?
Do lewd things: Well, when two elementals like eachother a lot they do... Stuff.

I mad that as a more role playing focused /cyoa/, I was tired of ones where you had to count out hundreds of different points, or find a "meta" build. I understand if you don't like it, but the extra perks on some roles were really just or flavor.

Mystery Box. I changed it to jpg for easier posting.

Are cyoa threads dying?

what makes you say that?

I get that. I guess my view is that if choice of roles doesn't affect the number of skills, then I feel more free to make the decisions based on roleplay. As is, I personally *have* to pick roles that grant skills.

But, it was fun regardless.

Element: Electric
Sub-Powers: Energy Field, Data Transformation, Thunderstrike
Enchantments: Perfection, Possession
Item: Null Fairy
Tasks: Study, Uncover Ancient Power

I'll be sticking with her, so I'll probably end up doing all of the tasks eventually. "Getting" all the items too, if only by proxy. Will probably need to possess her if we're gonna be fighting, so she doesn't get accidentally vaporized. Not that she'd mind the arrangement, I'm sure.

We've been having a recent influx of fresh new CYOA, you foolish fool of a fool.

Not really, I just think we don't have the overwhelming amount of OC as we had maybe five months ago.

Can someone repost this one? The metadata is fucked and I can't save it.

Next CYOA idea.

Magical grid 7x7. Different powers/abilities/boons have different shapes that must be fit into the grid to be activated. Obviously better boons have larger more obnoxious shapes.

The grid must be 100% full to work, and the small 1x1 and 1x2 shapes are actually drawbacks that you might have to take to fill it up.

As a mechanic, does that sound more interesting or annoying? Not totally certain of the theme/setting yet.

SDA post the latest stardust please

and refer to . I don't see that much new content.

oh wait sorry, refer to . cellphones ain't good for replies.

I wouldn't make the littlest shapes 'drawbacks', more like "gain $500" or "receive a mediocre blowjob".
Drawbacks should probably be cutting pieces off of a shape instead - that way, people don't take 7 of the 1x7 power.

Sure why not. If you can come up with a decent list of abilities and shapes it sounds alright by me. I remember some other guy was saying how they wanted to make a spaceship one with a similar concept where each module/room has a shape and you have to place it on a map of the spaceship you chose.

so... how big is immortality

Elemental thing last thread (and above), book thing done this thread, both pretty decent. That's just today.

Reminds me of the Navi Customizer, which was great fun. I think it would be fun, but you have to remember that a lot of people have no idea how to even work their way around Paint, meaning you're cutting down on your potential audience unless you figure out an interactive solution. Also sounds like a bitch to balance. I really like the idea though.

Not that guy but I apparently totally skimmed over it. Thought we were still on that prerelease version.

Good idea!
>so... how big is immortality
It's a cross right in the middle. So, leaves four 3x3s open in the four corners.

My thought is to allow you to switch powers in and out as you wish. So, you could keep immortality in most of the time, for example, but switch it out as needed.

Here's your OC.

Eldritch magic
RWBY revised
Time of Troubles
Forest one, winter dark and scary
Elemental
Storybook
A few random OC

You just haven't been paying attention

>No hexagons

Oh sweet child. Just make your choice while you still can.

>allow you to switch powers in and out as you wish
nnnnno.
>"Learn skill A" brick is X size
>Remove it for an X size hole
>Place "Learn skill B" brick in hole
>Shuffle as needed
That's the easiest way to break your CYOA.

Not if whenever you remove something everything gained from that is lost. We'll see, though.

Then instead of "learn X skill" it should be "have ability to do X". Thus, if you remove the X brick, you can no longer actually do X.

Mystery box.

It still turns "Know a skill" into "Know ANY skill".
Need to know how to use an RPG? Done.
Need to know how to program computers? Done.
Need to know how to meticulously optimize the layout of your grid, then shuffle every piece out and put in the absolute most optimal layout? Done.
You misunderstood a power and *aren't* functionally omnipotent? Just shuffle them back and try again.

You're assuming a lot about the powers that I plan to offer. I do appreciate you pointing out the possible loophole, but I assure you I will think carefully about the balance of switching out powers.

At its core, though, it makes it more interesting if I can balance it, because it's then more than a "one and done" choice. It allows greater imagination as one contemplates how and when you would change out powers.

The Jews did this....

They've stolen our good OC!

If you're sure about it, user.

I've learned through posting many things that user is not always predictable. So I can't ever be fully sure, but I think it should work out fine.

How far in the future is Apocalypse? Are we the same character as Star Dust if we want?

OH NO, SHUT IT DOWN

[77]
Quick scan didnt let me see any way to break the 111 years / life so oh well.

Tesseract [73] Teleport to a place youve been before is always helpful.

Omniglot [68] seems super useful for traveling. Which I can do a lot more of with teleportation.

Elementary School [64] Being a detective sounds fun.

Encyclopedia Brown (dream) [61]

Bonded by Fate [56] Having a partner always makes adventures more fun.

Yer A Wizard [47] There's not too many actual superpowers that we can gain so this is one of the more powerful ones. Also lots of utility.

Harry Potter (dream) [42]

Super Sleuth [40] Sometimes people are good at not leaving clues. I dont like that.

So Hungry [38] nomnomnom

I Shall Wear Midnight (dream) [35] Spending your life with a witch is always guaranteed to be an interesting prospect

Rhyming Scheme [38] Look, the rhyming is just a nervous tick. There's no need to be a prick.

Swiss Family Robinson (dream) [35]

Golden Ticket [32] Luck is always a good stat

Betwixt Education and Wisdom [29] A fun and complete education's where it's at.

A Keen Mind [25] Int will help with all the detective work

Artemis Fowl (dream) [23]

A loyal Pet [21] Because hedwig dies.

Deltora Quest [18] I dont even know what this book is.

Bookmark [7] because bad ends suck.

Unassuming Spring [1] And so does old age

Kinda wish there was more weight options to take but.... oh well. Growing child isn't a lot of points and you're in for a scare isnt quite worth it. Would've liked to take spiderwick and managing expectations but that's fine.

Psychokinetic [0] just in case I drop my wand I suppose.

Thats about 500 years plus the rest of this life. That's not terrible.

Maybe have a normal "set" and for every block you remove from that first "set" you get some kind of penalty until you put that power back?

>Little prince: true heart 3
>Where’s waldo: just passing through 5
>Terabithia: fortune’s gentle touch and those bounded by fate 9
>Goodnight moon: goodnight friend 2
>Harry potter: yer a wizard and dream 14
>Hobbit: three rings and dream 15
>Dragon hatcher: dragonkin 4
>Very hungry caterpillar: so hungry 2
>Swiss family robinson: survivalist supreme 3
>Artemis Fowl: butler 4
>The giver: to see brightly 2
>Spiderwick: the sight and dream 5
>Lightning thief: Demi-god and dream 9

Going to try to live the dreams as whole lives to keep flow and make sure I don’t mixes things up between the lives, starting with Harry Potter during the events of the story since I’m going to have to learn magic anyway and might as well actually go to school for it before I try using it in my other lives.
Mostly took powers to enrich life experiences, terabithia was particularly good for this since having a guaranteed best friend will be useful for my socially awkward ass. Also having a skilled mentor can always come in handy. Also took things like the giver and the little prince powers to just make life more beautiful. Interested to see how raising a dragon in the Harry Potter and Spiderwick worlds is going to go since they’re much more savage and violent in those universes than in most stories.
Great cyoa and looking forward to the expansion.

I really hope this works.

Awesome job but
>Berenstain Bears is trash
That is a wrong opinion

I wanna be a paper and ink elemental!

>Quick scan didnt let me see any way to break the 111 years / life so oh well.
Phew! I put some thought into that; hopefully it will hold up.

Only thing about your build is you might want to fit in three more points so your Bonded by Fate person doesn't age either; don't know if that's important to you. (half again the cost to grant a power to one other person, as in the preamble)

It's tough though. I started with 77 points because I know people will be more forgiving about me adding a few points than taking them away. Thanks for the build; I appreciate it, and hope it was fun.

Neat; what's your demi-god power choice? What's your choice for the Hobbit story? Smart to start with HP for the magic; much better than self-teaching.

Thanks for the build. No promises on any timeline for an expansion; two other projects have priority, and who knows beyond that.

I don't understand WHY you would nerf Perfection desu. It was pretty in line with Hybrid granting both powers (one power of your choice vs 2 you didn't choose to begin with).

Have you looked at them since you were a kid? It's moralizing, saccharine, tripe. I recognize some subjectivity, but I went back to read some to research for this and... bleck.

I feel like it gives you too many points, 36 was fine, but 77 feels a bit excessive, also like said there isn't really any options with weight to them

They made a series of detective spinoff novels that was actually pretty good for what it was, but it'd be redundant.

Blood, Dust, Ash? Maybe an animal based one, not sure how you'd swing it.

Maybe some kind of star/gravity elemental.Time is a possiblity too but a pain.

Yeah I thought about getting more non aging stuff but eh. I guess I'd trade golden ticket and lose my luck for it.

sword elementals

Heart.

>77 feels a bit excessive
hmm.. I mean, it's only 20% of the total options (382 points to buy everything) so I don't think it's *too* excessive. When it was 36 there were half as many options, so it's roughly to the same scale as it was in the previous version, in terms of the portion. I appreciate the feedback, though. It makes me less likely to *increase* the points any further.

There were never going to be many options with weight; it's more something to fill in cases where the books aren't exactly pleasant. And having more Weight options just gives more points, which if there are too many to begin with...

Well, worth adding to the maybe list for me to look at later, at least. Thanks.

Semen

Hey does anyone have that one comfy mansion cyoa with the girl in the mirror? Sorry for being so vague