/l5rcg/ - Legend of the 5 Rings Living Card Game

Prideman edition.

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

Sample decks in TTS Converter format - docs.google.com/document/d/1ca1DCfOZ8Nc-07YqGqGrV0fVu4Hme-deP5PkIojR1S8/

Current Card Rulings - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MSIQHAJmfSMKk1RJmzuF_3Mtmav8ZRy8-LDXSbXCQAE/edit#gid=722499072

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/roles/)
cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/legend-of-the-five-rings-review-unicorn-clan-r2202
cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37000-akodo-toturi-and-resolving-rings-on-defense/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>FAQ

>How many cores do I need to play the game?
Slightly subjective. If you just have one - you have a perfectly serviceable board game; but it's not really what this game is about. Two is probably minimum, but three core sets are needed for full playset. You can get away with two and just having friends, or eating it and just not having three copies of things.

>What is each clan about right now?
Copied from Reddit:

Crab - Defensive Military + Dishonor. They frequently rely on discarding their characters to gain effects, and also focus on buffs for holdings. Weak at attacking, strong at defending.

Crane - Political + pseudo honor. They rely on having their characters honored for the major of their effects, and also focus on negation and dueling. Weak to dishonor, strong at political and negation.

Dragon - Military + Political. They have balanced stats that rely on super units stacked with attachments to crush provinces and some some fate manipulation. Weak to attachment hate and board control, strong in that they balanced stats.

Lion - Military + pseudo honor. They want to swarm bodies on the board and use their conflict cards to keep characters around for multiple turns. Weaker at political, strong at military

Phoenix - Military/Political + Dishonor. They control the rings and get situationally strong effects based on the element being used and high glory stats can create huge stat units. Weak to dishonor, strong stats and board control. Also spells and shit.

Scorpion - Political + Dishonor. They control the characters and get strong effects by being dishonorable. Weak low glory characters, strong at controlling the board and putting your opponent in bad situations.

Unicorn - Military. They rely heavily on doing repeated military conflicts in the same turn, readying their characters/moving them into conflicts, and being the first player. Weak to dishonor, strong at bringing unexpected amounts of people into the fight.

Alright boys, conduct yourselves honorably. Last thread was shameful.
Lion or Crane in my Dragon?

Question from a new R5R player, how do you go about forcing ross via dishonor?

Rion has some attachments you could sride into Dragon, but I am not the most interregent at this game yet.

okay so unicorn might be bad as a main faction, but there's no denying how strong a unicorn splash is. Spyglass and Captive Audience are good tools for lots of clans.

I've said before that Lion splashes are mostly awful - but here it actually feels OK.

You get a few pretty good attachments (Honoured Blade, Guidance of the Ancestors (FUCKING MINT) Sashimono for I dunno...Seppun Guardsman / Ronin?) as well as some great events like Ready for Battle.

Crane does work as well of course, if you feel your political is going to suffer. You also get a 1 inf attachment (Duelist Training) although how effectively you can use that is going to depend on the deck. Fashion is also fun; but a ton of influence.

I personarry found there are better crans to find sprashes, but that's relative to the deck. Rion Cran could benefit most from this arregiance, but I find having Fiery Madness and Brackmail from Scorpion tend to be a rittle more usefur.

*usefur in generar.

I posted last thread, but there was... something going on.

Assuming Dragon stay as keeper role:
Lion Splash: Sashimono x3, Guidance of the Ancestors x3, Honor Blade x2, Ready for Battle x2. This makes the deck more military focused for sure, but that might not be so bad. Between Guidance, Daisho, and Kitsuki Training there's a lot of recyclable pumps and Guidance isn't limited. You know what the last two are for. I can bow Sashimono on Niten Adept, which is funny thematically.

Crane Splash: Above Question x3, Duelist Training x3, Admit Defeat x2. The deal here is Above Question stops all events, even my own Bonzais or Indomitable Wills. On the other hand, that one card has stonewalled nearly every opponent I've fought. The only thing I've run into is Let Go (I hate sharing) and the Scorpion one that steals my shit. I'll blow it up out of spite. I specifically DON"T run height of Fashion due to the aforesaid cards.

I've also considered Crab for their attachments: Watch Commander, Reprieve, and Tetsubo. Tetsubo on Mirumoto Raitsugu is dirty.

Above Question does not stop your own events. It specifically says "an opponent's event."

Holy shit how could I forget about Above Question. My god what a card.

I guess it depends on whether you primarily want stats or utility out of your attachments. Lion provides more of the former, Crane the latter. Lion also provides a great volume for the influence, if that's relevant to you.

Crane may be your better option, if you're rooking to defrect bad shit headed your way.
As said, Above Question ignores your events, so pray as many as you rike.

Admit Defeat and Duerist Training are good options if you're rooking to srip some damage through.

Void Ring conflicts can only take away fate on a character, not put one on.

Is this true?

I've been playing with proxies for months, the printer fucked up on the Crane cards. I have been playing that card wrong this whole time. That might settle the debate there, since Bonzai can go back in for Military boost.

Thanks fellas, it's the Crane for now. It's not like I can't play both and see how it goes. Is Tranquility better than Mantra of Fire? I like punishment mechanics but Mantra is so Specific. We have three Pheonix players and Two Scorpion if that matters.

It's true.

You're damn right this is true. My god, if Voids could actually ADD fate...

Yeah, thought that was the case. My opponent was playing Dragon and choose MilVoid when only his characters had Fate on them, I was super confused.

He's keeper of Void, if he had those Monks in provinces or Discard it may have been worth doing. Hitting all three early game can be super brutal later.

I did pretty good at my two FLGS' launch events. I got both the Unicorn and Scorpion full bleeds despite them being random door prizes, one event had 19 and the other had 15. I played Scorpion and went 5-2 over both days with one loss to Dragon (military) and the other to Crane (dishonored out due my mistake). I dishonored two Phoenix players out by decking their dynasty side. Everyone (two other Phoenixes and a Crane) else I relentlessly beat on. At my events the field was almost entirely Dragon, Phoenix, and Scorpion. There was a single Lion and Crab player and two Cranes at each. No one played the ponies.

I regret being busy for launch events.

Good work user!

To be fair, you have to be very honorable to play Unicorn. Their strategies are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of battlefield tactics, most of the stratagems will go unachieved. There’s also Unicorn's realistic outlook, which is deftly woven into their mechanics- their personal philosophy draws heavily from Mongolian Horse Hordes, for instance. The player understands this stuff; they have the tactical knowledge to truly appreciate the depths of their combat capability, to realise that they’re not just a sleeping military threat- that they say something deep about L5R. As a consequence people who dislike Unicorn truly ARE yowamushi - of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the sheer expertise in Unicorn's mantra; “As the Wind; Swift and Free” which itself is a cryptic reference to The Book of Five Rings written by Miyamoto Musashi . I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those Dense Lion cubs scratching their heads in confusion as Unicorn's stampede breaks through their golden gates. What Orokamono.. How I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Unicorn tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the bishoujo’s eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re as skilled as I with a horse and Naginata (preferably less skilled) beforehand. Nothing personal, Gaijin.

Strong

Which clans do you feel best thematically fit you /l5rcg/?

Pure fluff, none of this "Scorp bcoz Edict." nonsense.

What is currently the best clan to splash into as Crane? I'm looking at Phoenix but i'm not sure if I should look towards another clan like Lion or Dragon to boost my military in surprise conflicts.

Crab/Dragon/Lion for going maximum ham.

I'm playing Scorpion mostly because I'm generally awful at self flagellation type of decks in general.

I prefer the Crab cran myself, I've always been a defensive-minded ferrow in whatever game I pray.

Whatever side likes to relax and take it easy the most. So I guess i dunno Crane.

Good morning uni....

I give up. Fuck FFG

Did you not read the OP?

Golden

Rion, because I pray this game for GREAT HONORABRU SAMURAI!!

The shitshow that was the last thread was still better than this dumb Rion posting.

What did I miss?

This was funny 20 years ago.
You only look like an idiot when you do this now.
Fucking normies.

Probs Unicorn.
Thematically, wide range of diverse families with their own specialties depending on the regions they traveled to, and then they all come together as a combined force just seems great.
Mechanically, a little weak now but I feel like they'll gradually become good and then settle in some area of middle ground, like the other clans after a couple of releases.

So is there something wrong with Unicorn, or are people just bitching because they can't table an opponent three turns in with them?

The luck factor + skill ceiling required is actually pretty high to ice an opponent with Unicorns.

Misplays hurt so much as compared to the other clans, and Scorp/Crane can counter without trying which is just as painful.

They're good, people just need to understand how to play them and not be like "Durrrrrrr, horses means attacks and don't do anything else hurrrrrr."

I've seen people not even use the Stronghold ability, claiming the wrong ring, not switching from Pol to Mil when they had audience in hand - tons of rookie mistakes that cost games, and then they don't even know what they did wrong.

Fun clan, a lot of it's players are morons.

Pic related.

Even worse. If you fall behind at all as unicorn it's impossible to catch up which means that you either win or you don't based on your starting flop.

And it doesn't help that your best starter is probably what other clans have in terms of value 75 percent of the time

General consensus is that within the core set(s) alone they are quite difficult to play and win with. Card pool is not the strongest when compared to other clans. Their champion is the weakest within the core set as well compared to other champions in regards to cost/stats/abilities.

Dragon is good for everyone. Let Go and Tattooed Monk are strong cards, and ancestral weapons are useful.

They lose to scorpion and everybody is playing scorpion. They also are pretty one trick, and their champion is so-so.

Yeah I'm currently stuck between either shoring up my military power with Dragon or focusing more on making my political stronger and playing defensively with Phoenix. I did consider Crab as well for Watch Commander and Hiruna Ambusher. I got triple cores so card pool is not an issue.

The mil boost from lion does help with Crane decks, and I personally feel Sashimono on an honoured Kaezin with a few mil upgrades can be beastly especially against a swarm

>go to launch event
>overcome by anxiety because I'm by myself
>have a shit time
>not even sure I enjoy the game

Hold me

Tell us user, in a scale from donut to black hole how the vets from the old version did rape your ass?

You get used to 1-manning events, I legit don't have any mates that do FNM draft for mtg, but I go anyway because it's better than sitting at home alone.

Stay strong user!

There was like 1 vet there and he didn't even talk to me

Although no one did really

Thanks user. Maybe structured events might be a bit easier to go to

Is playing a Seeker/Keeper role basically mandatory to be competitive?

Yes - since organised play enforces a specific role on your clan. (See fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/roles/)

If you are asking 'do I need to use one at all?' then I'd ask if you're taking the piss. Either one is just a straight upgrade to your deck, so there's no reason not to use one. Being competitive in a card game is about gaining edges wherever you can.

>tfw too poor for box set this paycheck

M-maybe next week...

cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/articles/legend-of-the-five-rings-review-unicorn-clan-r2202

So if I want to play the game casually with friends, do I need to buy two boxes to be able to make two usable decks, or can you make two basic decks from just one box?

You can make 2 very basic, very bland and not really reflective of L5R decks with one box. Two boxes are the way to go if you aren't doing competitive.

Pretty much what I expected. Unicorn probably won't be fixed in Tears, but come the next release, maybe. Just a better stronghold would be enough for me to be like, "Yeah, I'll try them out as a main."

What splash would you suggest for scorpion?

>Goblin Sneak
>a 1/-, that Steals a Fate from your opponents pool for 2

Fucking what. That's nuts. If it was Conflict rather than Dynasty; hoo boy.

>As a reaction when it enters play

>Tears of Amaterasu is the first Dynasty Pack of the Imperial Cycle and contains three copies of twenty new cards.

That's a little vague, is it just the 20? Or are there going to be additions of certain cards from the core (ie the one ofs)?

It's three copies of twenty NEW cards
What the fuck do you think it's going to be

kek, good job.

I'll test that idea, I got three variants of the deck lined up to test.

That's what me and my roomate are doing, with a tentative plan to split the cost on a third box this weekend after payday.

His Pheonix has been struggling against my Crab. We've gotten three games in and I've won all of them. First one was a basic Crab Smash., second game I caught him off gaurd and dishonored him using Intimidating Hida, that Watch commnder or whatever it is that binks you for a point of honor every time you play a card, Air ring, Low bids with Contingincies, and Levy when he was out of fate. Last game I had him down to five honor and he entered is scoop phase.

I would use the fire ring to dishonor his dudes so that he losses more honor, but he really wants that fire ring cause the Pheonix have all those low stat high glory personalites and he's struggling to get them honored.

I play in an odd way, apparently. In that I tend to buy one or maybe two fatties most turns and give them a 2-3 bonus fate over quick and disposable swarms. It means I've never sent more than two personality at declaration, but I've got Conflict deck chars, Charge, that holding that lets you move a dude into or out of the conflict... and really fat numbers. I must admit, I do have issue breaking provinces this way, but I can keep him occupied because so many of my dudes can threaten a break I bow him out with aggressive offense and rout off his low military characters when he comes for political conflicts.

My first few bids I go stupid high to fatten up my hand, then I start bidding low and using Shrewd Yasuki, Imperial Storehouses that get recycled by rebuild, and Funeral Pyre to maintain my card advantage. Tossed in Otomo courters and seppun gaurdsmen just to feed to the pyre/ Stoic Gunso/ Steadfast Witchhunter.

Still playing around with what I should splash in. I went Lion at first for Sashimono, but now I'm trying Scorpion for the Shinobi you can bounce back to your hand, pair of Masks, the steal attachment, and Blackmail.

Where is this coming from? I see it's up on the wiki too, but the card fan in the preview article didn't show any of it's text.

The Spanish preview article showed off just enough of the card's text that people could figure out what the rest of it said.

No word on it being a conflict card or a dynasty card, though.

>That pained smile when you bring out Lion's Pride Brawler

Is there any greater card-fu above her and Deathseeker?

>No full art

Alright was wondering how you guys took the ruling of Favored Ground. From what I understood you could not bring a bowed character into a conflict. Does this card allow you to do that or does it have to be a ready character?

Do more people play on ringteki or tts? Don't particularly want to spend the money on tts if people aren't playing on there.

Yogo Hiroue can move in a bowed dudeman. I do know you cannot use his ability to suck in a character that has - in the skill the goes with the battle type or a trait that prevents them from being in the battle at all (like the Shiba Peacemaker in an attack). I don't see anything on Favorable Ground that says it has to be a readied character. In fact I can see a couple uses for moving in your bowed guys. For instance you can attack or defend with the Shosuro Actress to take advantage of her 3 Political skill and then move her into another attack to sac her to replace her with a guy from from your opponent's discard in another conflict.

The card says character. Not 'unbowed character'. So yeah, you can get a bowed char if you really want.

Reprint when?

Alright what is up with the champion cards' reaction effect, "after you claim a ring during a military conflict this character is participating in, resolve that ring's effect." I know that usually when you win a conflict you have the option to resolve the ring effect of whatever element you claim for the conflict. Why would you need card text to tell you to do so?

It lets you resolve the ring's ability twice for a military victory. Also you do not resolve ring effects if the defender wins. Though if the defender does use Toturi's ability the attacker gets the benefit.

It means you trigger the ring TWICE on offense. But not paying attention to wording means triggering it on defence it not such a good idea.

cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37000-akodo-toturi-and-resolving-rings-on-defense/

I could actually see this as useful in some cases if it was a 0 cost, +0/0 attachment with blank text or the same ability it had then

Grabbed the core set to try out.

Basically need to get 2 more if I want to actually play, right? There don't seem to be too many choices in deckbuilding right now as you basically auto-include most of your clan cards x3?

Bowed characters cannot be declared as attackers or defenders -- but there is no such forbiddance on moving bowed characters into conflicts.

You can get by with two. If you have a friend both of you could be set with a total of 5 boxes, 2 each and the last one to share.

Red pill me on Crane. I just picked up a single core and built a Crane/Scorpion deck I found from google. Any plays I should look forward to or basic things to keep in mind?

Wouldn't 3 sets let you play 2 fairly complete decks as long as you don't play the same clan or splash those clans?

Or are there universally used splashes right now that both decks will want?

Everything is pretty self explanatory now due to low card pool.

Well, what about fate pool management, or honor bids for cards? are there ideal amounts? safe numbers to reserve for future phases?

Generally put at least 1 fate on characters because you never know when you are gonna need them. Honour bid, assume that the opponent will bid 1 and ask if you are willing to lose that much honour for the difference.

'Generally' is right though.

Like, if you're just throwing out Seppun Guards / Couriers for short term defense, throwing fate on them is fucked in the head.

Think about it like they say in the rule book. If you put a fate on a 1 coster; that's way less valuable than fate on a 4 coster.

For Honor bid ill give a personal example. I play dragon, early game I bid 5s so I can get fury, ancestrals and stuff I need to get rolling. Scorpion does the same for all their events. I don't think crab care about cards too much, so it boils down to the deck. After I get pieces that I need I lower my buds to 2 or 3 to keep the flow of abilities but to also chip away at their Honor. Like a 1 if they have low cards or run event heavy like phemix crane and scorpion

Who let the SJW in here?

well, duh, that's math

1+1 < 1+4

So can you run pure decks, or is splashing sort of a requirement?

And when people splash are you guys splashing in other characters, or is it most events and attachments?

I think mono-clan decks will be more viable with a larger card pool. Right now the splashes are necessary to cover up weaknesses in the clans from a limited card pool.

>Thinking that it's a political argument
>When something is genuinely outdated and considered pretty shit humour to begin with.

Underage b& detected.

Mono-clan will never be an optimal choice. I am saying this right now; if it ever becomes better from an actual competitive to not splash anything then the balance on the game has become completely fucked.

Effectively what not splashing means is that the 40th worst card in your faction + neutrals is better than literally every other conflict card in every other faction. If the game is so unbalanced that that is actually correct for any faction then we've arrived at some late-stage cancer that needs to gtfo.

You can only splash fate side, but there are people in the conflict deck.

So how does Cycles/Rotation work in L5R?

Is it like MTG where there's a "Standard Period"?
Is it seasonal - i.e. can we use cards from a previous year's winter sets in the years after winter-blocks? (tfw want this to be true so bad.)
Is it like a major arcs - Core set + arc 1 this year, then Core Set + arc 2 next year?
Or is it just open season, all cards are legal (unless stated as banned) like EDH or Yugioh?

Not announced yet iirc.

This person is correct.

It's the same in every single card game that allows splashes without significant 'penalty'. (Like Magic, where splashing requires significant land investment to ensure consistency; so dual-colour decks are usually more common than just a light splash.)

if you guys think splashing crane and lion is anywhere near optimal for dragon we're playing different games

Yeah, I don't understand why people want to splash those two when the main strength of dragon is the balanced stats.

>there are people not playing Crane of Phoenix clans
How can you follow a clan that doesn't have a QT as your champion?

>Ryujin no ken wo kurae