Aberrant Thread

mediafire.com/file/zs4ehpw4w52cp3w/Aberrant.pdf
>What is Aberrant?
A self-conscious, postmodern supers game in the vein of 90's superhero comics and with a lot of focus on fluff and flavor, set in a universe where the existence of supers has become common knowledge and even the pettiest of villains or most two-bit of heroes can get a fanbase, a TV show and a line of merchandise if they try.
>Why shouldn't I play M&M?
M&M is fundamentally a D&D hack that works better for nuke-fests and big showdowns with mooks by the dozen and evil doctors with death rays.
Aberrant is built with the setting and the character in the spotlight, offering both crunch and fluff tools for character development and toning down the sheer power level. The presence of a strong setting makes it easier to see your character in the setting and for them to play off it. M&M is a DC comic highlights reel, Aberrant is a Marvel comic with two fight scenes in 50 pages.
>Isn't White Wolf SJW/bad?
White Wolf went through a major firing/hiring spurt around 2004, which Aberrant predates. Combined with the New World of Darkness, made to appeal to the current emo teens rather than the old goth guard of the oWoD, this resulted in a drop in editing quality that later devolved into the uncontrolled Tumblrfest we know White Wolf for nowadays.
>Again, why should I play it?
If you like huge battles, cinematic contrivances, lantern-jawed heroes, cackling villains, world-ending death rays, Martian invaders and unironic spandex, you can probably stick to M&M.
If you like the idea of power at a price, of flawed people with massive powers, of a society adapting to the existence of supers, of a blurred line between heroes and villains, of a brutally honest look at supers or just like Worm a lot, Aberrant is probably a good bet.
If you're into that magical-realm shit, too, Aberrant is a barrel of monkeys and I can testify to that.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1ayGNCnAsHcgxIUr9k6mNYf46loqY8Qlv5v4TIImqgdU/edit?pli=1
docs.google.com/document/d/1rS_VsgfM6ycrRhhvCHq5XXf-TH5vPsgrxBojSlhTobk/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can I do this series simpler than in M&M?

I'd say yes, yes, a hundred times yes, but opinions differ, so it would probably be best to give it a try.
M&M isn't balanced for series with clearer rules about superpowers nor ones with a lower power level, while Aberrant lives the idea of slightly lower-powered supers who're all basically normal people.
The powers have a lot more fluff attached, which makes it easier to go for a specific mood - choice paralysis is a big factor in why I don't like M&M, but Aberrant is good at making the powers feel flexible, varied and customizable.
You could also use the setting as-is - in-universe, there are already training schools for young novas, squads of national representative supers and a thorough idealization of novas. I don't think it'd require much tweaking to get it to work - just call the academy a training facility for the Nippontai, and you have your BnHA.
I'm not very well-read on the series, given, but you give me a powerset and I'll sum it up in rules.

A girl has the power to negate gravity for anything she touches with all five fingers. She cannot turn off the power and she has no control over what the object does, mostly she uses it to make the objects lighter.

She has a limit of 3 tons

Using it makes her nauseous.

That's Gravity Control with a weakness (touch range), the Permanent Power Aberration and only the Gravitokinesis power bought. She likely pays with a health level in exchange for one point of Quantum on every roll (this is a roleplaying quirk or a custom Aberration), and she likely has only one dot in Gravity Control but a high Quantum.

As always, some sacrifices have to be made, but Aberrant gives example point values and partial lists of possible restrictions and power quirks, moreso than M&M (at least 3rd edition).
It's built for GM-player cooperation, like most White Wolf games, and it provides a lot of material to refluff, tweak and rebalance.

Can I do a paranormal investigation and exorcism campaign just like pic related?

Yes.
It's so easy I don't even need to give instructions - a lot of premade chronicles are investigation punctuated with combat. Powers can be used flexibly, and there's no lack of sensory ones.

Alright then, gonna download now

user, that you need to try and shit on other games, rather than speak about the topic's virtues, immediately makes me suspicious about it's actual quality.
This isn't fucking American politics, you aren't going to get brownie points for shittalking the opponent. If Aberrant can't stand on it's own merits and qualities, it doesn't matter what other games do.

The reason I do that is that literally every single time I recommend it, people say "just play M&M".
M&M is a lot more popular and played, but it has its flaws that you sometimes need to avoid.
On top of that, every M&M thread, there's someone who asks about how to do a more Marvel-styled game or how to avoid M&M's pitfalls, and very few of them get answers.
Also, I really, really wouldn't call anything I said in the OP "shitting" on M&M.

A character who is always invisible but can alter her luminescent to blind people with flashes of light.

A guy who can disable anyone's power as long as he looks at them while activating it and does not blink or look away. He also has a non-power combat style involving wrapping people up in flexible metal tape.

>Invisibility, Permanent Power, Strobe
>Disrupt, Immobilize
Both of those are pretty easy. A lot of the powers in BnHA are limited pretty stringently, which requires the Player's Guide for the weakness rules.

Still waiting for 2e. At least we got the full system preview by way of Scion Kickstarter.

>Onyx Path
Not even once.

>2e
When's the release date?

Hey outside of like beast their stuff isn't that bad. I mean exalted third isn't turning into some sort of horrendous mess or anything.
Well at least the writings not anyways. There was still all that giant mess about mismanagement and payment and the dev team getting switched out, but the game is still good
Right now When It's Done(tm). Like the corebook and aeon aren't even out yet, supposedly its intended to be like a nine month pause between cores?

Oh yeah, and for anyone who doesn't have it yet
docs.google.com/document/d/1ayGNCnAsHcgxIUr9k6mNYf46loqY8Qlv5v4TIImqgdU/edit?pli=1
There isn't a bunch of info on aberrant in specific, since its a bit later down the line, but its there. The only big one that comes to mind is that mega attributes are going away. You can still play someone who's super fast/strong/smart/pretty obviously, it'll just take a different mechanical form.

Oh yeah, and the storypath system. This comes from the scion kickstarter but supposedly the two are using the same base system, and the trinity previews from gencon used these systems I think so it at least gives us an idea of where the system is going
docs.google.com/document/d/1rS_VsgfM6ycrRhhvCHq5XXf-TH5vPsgrxBojSlhTobk/edit

Why did they remove mega-attributes?

>She cannot turn off the power
Yeah she can, she can release that which she's touched.

They just removed the mechanic. I assume for much the same reason they got rid of epic attributes in scion, balance problems and different 'super attributes' have different needs. I mean mega strength did what, 5 times its rating in automatic damage in melee attacks? That was a good head and shoulders more potent then most attack powers if I remember right, and stamina only added like less then ten soak.
Like they said though, you're still gonna be able to play someone who has super strength or smarts or whatever, its just gonna look different