EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Self Correcting Problems Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What strategy do you wish would work in Commander? What do you think it would take to make it work?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
magiccards.info/query?q=a:"&"&v=card&s=cname
youtu.be/F9UKNwlhhpo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ft9DYL-gU0
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bruna-soul-sisters-edh-v2-1/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for combo and stax are fine.

Jace is a gay bottom

>What strategy do you wish would work in Commander?
hyper-aggressive weenies
>What do you think it would take to make it work?
saskia if she was good

My group of friends only recently got into Commander. I bought 2 of the new tribal deck (wizard, dragon) and two of the 2016 sets (Atraxa and Breya)
Having a lot of fun with them so far. I've tweaked and tuned them all a bit (some more than others) but made sure I didn't sort of ruin the main mechanics of each deck.

The thread question: I'd say an energy deck because Kaladesh and Aether revolt are my favourite sets. My normal decks have a lot of the energy mechanics built into them, so I thought it would be cool if you could make a solid commander deck around that.

Also I love the gameplay mechanics and the artwork from the whole Kaladesh block, I just can't see how a commander deck could work with the whole energy thing.
I'm glad Baral is seeing a lot of use though because it's one of my favourite cards from the set.

Saskia with a lot of hatebears seems to work

How many times have I seen Baral in the OP in the past two month?
I wanna say seven.

Sup lad. I also threw Gruul Ragebeast, Xenagos (god) and Knotvine Mystic for Gishath. Still looking for another 20~ minutes before I check out.

As far as the Ur-Dragon goes, it’s just kind of jank. I fleshed it out a bit with better lands e.g. Bloodstained Mire, Wooded Foothills, Dragonskull Summit, etc. I have Birds and Elvish Piper and Dragon Broodmother and Balefire and a few other nice creatures, but I still feel like it could use work. And there’s so many versions of it on TappedOut so I’m not sure what’s “meta” or not. I really haven’t looked into it since there’s so many options out there. I left it kind of jank and just buffed it with shit I already had.

Arabo?

someone post best Rhys build

Why isn't this played more?

Double green.

>You don't want that many cards in your hand. And even if you do, it has to be exact seven
>double green
>Other than that, he is just an overcosted worse version of llanowar

Green doesn't have the easiest time retaining 7 in hand.

because it is not a land.

>double green

>less than mediocre mana dork
>extremely situational ability
?????????

You can activate it before or after your draw step, before or after your land drop, before or after using other card draw and the turn spent casting your commander doesn't reduce your hand size. Exactly 7 is a lot more flexible than it sounds.

What's the best commander for a spirit tribal?

O-kagachi for spirit + god tribal is maximum flavourtown, even if not the most optimal one.

I am considering Geralf's Masterpiece for a zombie edh but i couldn't find a straight answer to a question i have. Do you absolutely need three cards in hand to return Geralf's Masterpiece or can i trigger it with fewer? I figure yes but its been a while since I've last played.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/

Can someone please give me some genuine critique and recommendations for my Athreos deck?

If you have fewer than 3 cards in your hand, you cannot pay the activation cost for the masterpiece's second ability, which means you cannot use it.

You absolutely need three cards in order to activate the ability - it is part of the cost, not the ability.

Thanks anons

Tolarian Academy did nothing wrong.

Green doesn't have strong draws, so him needing double green is pretty heavy, much more than double blue.

>What strategy do you wish would work in Commander? What do you think it would take to make it work?
aggro that isnt infect

Counting his color weight as a negative when he would head up a deck full of forests is ridiculous. How can you suggest double green would be difficult to obtain in a mono green deck?

>saskia if she was good
hatebears my dude. dont focus to much on the saskia text

Because it is a catch22. If you run monogreen, chances are that you are not going to have 7 cards in your hand ever after your first initial turns. But if you run him outside of monogreen to get more draws, his double green becomes a burden.

Should I use my Kalitas in Edgar Markov, Mazirek or Scarab God?

I assumed this wasn't for monogreen. That's why I put color weight as a negative, since color intensive mana dorks are frustrating.

The good monogreen decks are like, Azusa and Omnath, right? Their hands empty immediately with Burgeoning and similar. I run Reki, so I guess I could use it, but it is pretty low impact.

I use him in all sorts of decks because he's grave hate and has a great effect

he is better in edgar, scarab god would be ok since you will be draining with zambies but not being able to kill something and then bring it back with scarab god really sucks

How many basics should you run to justify using Boundless Realms in 3c alongside some other basic land ramp?

I agree. I made two mistakes in assuming it was in the context of mono green and I mistook him for legendary.

>gideon ally of zendikar is down to 10 bucks

fucking finally

I think a better question is 'how can I justify using a card that makes awkward demands of a three color mana base?'

Friends don't let friends play white walkers. Just say no.

this card is fucking amazing

>Play it in my group
>Everyone stops what they are doing and proceeds to focus on removing it or killing me
Yeah real amazing.

>thread question
pic related (and to an extent, a lot of the kamigawa legends)
ive tried everything to make this guy work, when mairsil came out i had a flicker of hope, thinking i could use manicchi as a secret commander, but the deck was too jank (even for the master of jank)
hes just such a cool and flavorful legend with a unique ability at a low cost. ive had a foil one sitting in my binder for years, mocking me

>having at least 7 mana in blue and not being able to protect a single card

wew

that flavor text though. Are you a fellow intellectual Rick and Morty fan?

>having 7 mana in blue
>not winning the game

>wants to play energy deck
>plays atraxa already

whats hard to understand about this?

i play an atraxa charge counters deck and it's really fun. energy is underwhelming, unfortunately

Alot.

this card is fucking amazing

>What strategy do you wish would work in Commander?
Counter post
I mean it does work just not super well and the games take much longer than you would think

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand mono blue.The control is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical stack manipulation most of the cards will go over a typical planeswalker's head.

2 tru

Yeah that's the problem

Gideon "the jerk" Jura is a boss
If you are playing casually and in white you should play him

>mfw someone has a low IQ near me

>9000x9000

>To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand mono red.The control is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of card advantage vs card filtering most of the cards will go over a typical planeswalker's head.

it's what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Because it ramps like crazy and my commander is a mana dump (Marath)

True, playing real Library makes that clear. The Magus would probably see some play if he were 1G or had a better body. The abilities are strong and there are other 2 mana mana dorks that have seen play.

Kodama of the Center tree if you hate yourself.

Brago, King Eternal if you don't.

I feel like im close to perfecting my G/R combo deck except for making a few small adjustments and finding room for removal. Already added Artifact mutation and Decimate but I need more to get out from under locks. Im also considering Chancellor of the Forge

everything feels essential at the moment, need recommendations for things to take out Veeky Forums

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/

I get that there's no nips but you've still painted a big ol target on your post.

Here's a better idea.

How do most Oloro decks win? I'm not sure if they're just lifegain then play a hasted Serra's Avatar or if they're more control oriented and just using the 2 life per turn to create a comfortable buffer while they get ready to combo off.

I already run Mirari's Wake and that shit gets removed on sight, lands will stick around.

>Terese Nielsen & Ron Spencer
I didn't know there were collabs between mtg artists. Is there anyway to search for that in the databases?

Most of the ones I've seen just use the Eminence as a sort of 'survival' buffer until they combo off, yeah.

It was just the Reflection cycle, I think. All 5 were Terese and Ron.

Are they generally pillowforts or control decks loading up on counters and boardwipes?

...neither. They're combo decks.

Oh, I looked it up, Terese Nielsen and Ron Spencer are siblings, this is why they are the only team up artists.

Use it anyway faggot.

There's also Phil and Kaja Foglio, Zoltan Boros & Gabor Szikszai, and Z. Plucinski & D.A. Gregory (for one card) that I could find

Just search "&" in the artist field

magiccards.info/query?q=a:"&"&v=card&s=cname

Should be every card where the artist contains an ampersand (&)

What ever happened to the user that had to give away his decks but wanted them to be kept as they were? He said he'd be back in a week but that was last Sunday. Hope the guy is alright.

Won't work on gatherer but will on magiccards.info. Fair Warning.

That's a bit of a confusing type for me. Not sure if it's a control deck that goes for a combo or if combo decks do nothing but draw, tutor, ignore everyone else, and then combo off with some protection.

>using the shitfest that is gatherer
Shit man the only good thing about gatherer was that you could shitpost about cards but they still haven't fixed it

I don't really count the Foglios or Zoltan and Gabor. Those weren't one-time things, they worked on cards together all the time.

I think it was years before Boros submitted art that only he worked on

A combo deck is a deck that wants to win via combo, and the deck is built to facilitate that.

A control deck that has a combo in it is not a combo deck.

>he doesn't know about the best tag team

Ah alright, thanks

Ok, /edhg/ things are too quiet around here. So it's songposting time. Post the song that best represents your deck (or commander)

My Sub $15 Niv Mizzet deck where every card either says draw a card or is some weird shit like noggles
youtu.be/F9UKNwlhhpo

I'm the mastermind behind the reserve list buyouts

AMA

m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ft9DYL-gU0
>tfw 3 minute turns

Why is this allowed in a 40 health format

Because if your playgroup is too slow to respond to that and also allow your opponent to have over 40 life by the time they put it down then you deserve to lose

Because it's an extremely boring card that everyone knows about.
I can't see why anyone would be enticed to play this, at least Approach is somewhat interesting.

There was an user who posted his absolutely bugfuck insane Mannichi deck a while back that looked super rad, I might hvae it saved, hang on

Who started this stupid fucking meme

Having multiple wincons is always good, especially in a Soul Sisters lifegain deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bruna-soul-sisters-edh-v2-1/

If you are incapable of doing 1 damage to someone before they untap with a protection-less 6 drop, AND incapable of killing it between them playing it and untapping, you deserve to lose.

Am I crazy to think that Tangle Wire isn't that great in EDH?

It can be good in the right deck. The idea is that you fuck up everyone's tempo for a few turns (harder in the first 2 turns it's out than the rest), while you have enough artifact ramp that it doesn't terribly hinder you. It helps that by the time it whips back to you, you get the 'lower' version of it. Everyone else goes 4 3 2 1 gone, you just go 3 2 1 0 gone.

Has anyone played with this guy? Any fun idea or tip?

Mostly I see him alongside a lot of mill spells and other clones.

clearly you haven't seen how fast a pillowfort white deck can set up. But fuck me for not playing control I guess