/HHG/ Horus Heresy General

Slow and Purposeful edition.

>Previous thread
>Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>NEW Mega Folder
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/2017/10/09/forge-world-preview-a-new-weapon-for-the-adeptus-custodes/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPA9bKz2meI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>warhammer-community.com/2017/10/09/forge-world-preview-a-new-weapon-for-the-adeptus-custodes/
Big gun for big guy

Here are some little guys for contrast.

whats stopping me from making my own legion as a "lost legion" and using an existing legions rules as theirs?

Now the bad little dudes

#
The most successful use I've seen for Breachers is as a character's bodyguard. They're cheap compared to Terminators and aren't bulky, but you don't get much offense out of them.

Of course, in Zone Mortalis they're awesome and you should be playing a lot of ZM in between larger regular games. Go with the graviton gun, and only give them a LR if you have a use for a tank. Consider a Dreadclaw if you have a fast list, otherwise let them walk.

They're not good for the points, but I'd say they aren't suicidally bad anymore.

Nothing except it's a tad snowflakey. Blackshields probably better anyway.

Homegrown fluff is a little awkward in a "historical" game, so most people with their own II or XI Legion armies don't use them as their main ones. They just bring them out for special events set during the Great Crusade.

But if you have a remnant fighting during the Heresy as if they were blackshields but using a different legion's rules, I don't see an issue with that. The key is not contradicting any Heresy-era fluff. If you're flying II or XI Legion colors, I think the reaction by other legions would be to think it wasn't true.

Nothing I guess, but Is right I think. Snowflakes. Besides, 30k is supposed to be "historic" style of war game rather than openended like 40k. You wouldn't play a historical war game set in the ancient period and have an army representing a fictional nation.

Just be ready for opponents to react negatively.

i would run blackshields but im not a fan of the rules.
i have a cool idea swimming around in my head to just run them as the current legion i finally settled on because i love their rules
>But if you have a remnant fighting during the Heresy as if they were blackshields but using a different legion's rules, I don't see an issue with that.
rad. it wont be full legion strength, though.
>Snowflakes.
ive just had issues settling on a legion and now that i have i have an idea that i could do a lot of cool stuff with and idk its just a thought
>Just be ready for opponents to react negatively.
all the people i play with are generally pretty chill, and ill never take it to tournaments because i have recasts

Sounds like you're well sorted then. Various units within legions had quite an array of iconography and even colors sometimes too, (like Clan Morragul for example). As long as it makes sense and isn't too far out there, you could make it a specific chapter within an existing legion.

Which legion did you settle on? What don't you like about just playing them?

yea ill think about it some more, dunno if its the route i wanna go with My Guys
i just dont like painting them. a lot of the hobby is painting for me and i do really like playing them, just not the other half of the hobby.

Me if you don't post your fluff and paint scheme for me to admire.

Save some bucks and get a studio to paint em. I'm horrible at painting (not the Artistic type, I work in finance, and I simply just don't have the time) and when I've used a reputable studio I've been pretty happy.

sure just gimme a bit to type it out i guess
but i want to paint my own stuff friend

>I just don't like painting them
>but I want to paint my own stuff

I am confused.

You want to but don't like to?

Must be a white or yellow legion

>self harms
>tattoos
>piercings
>ribbons
>ponytail
Jaghatai confirmed schoolgirl.
All glory to the Scan user.

Why not go for a shattered legion trinity?

i dont like painting the legion im painting
there are certain paint schemes i just dont dig

He likes the rules not the colour scheme. Eg. I like the rules for World Eaters but I think White and Blue looks like shit, or I like the rules for Dark Angels (ahahahahaha) but think the colour black is overused.

>tfw ready to assemble dracosan and veletaris
>but can't find the superglue

What no
>dead game/ staying in 7th is bad?

I'm happy with a modified 7th. 8ths is definitely more streamlined in some facets but I feel like 7th suits HH better.

how is the dracosan put together anyway? having never put together a malcador - are the sides 2 bits like on the sicaran, or is it more like a baneblade?

The issue with 8th is that there are no decisions. The game basically plays itself, you are never penalized and the optimal thing to do is obvious to anyone from several turns away. I mean there are command points, but they're adding in "spend before game" options for them to reduce player initiative even further. Basically in your average game you will make 3 or so choices in 2+ hours, and then you run out of Decision Points and it's back to automatic. 7th is not particularly good but it is much more demanding.

Daily reminder

The top hull is a huge chunk, the tracks are two separate huge chunks (with the tracks molded on except for two small links, thank god), there's a bottom hull panel and then some small bits you gotta glue on (gun, roof hatch, some exhaust pipes).

There's certainly decisions to be made when it comes to positioning and such. Different AVs would be nice, though.

7th (especially HH) if fluffy wargame, it have a fucktonn of rules.
8th is game for kids

Yes. I think there's definitely that. Well said.

7th, while clunky in many frustrating ways, punishes poor choices and rewards good choices rather well.

I really dislike morale in 8th.

I think morale is a lot better in 8th, though you'd think certain armies would handle it better and others worse (somehow Rubrics and Necrons are running away while muhreens or conscripts hold ground). At least it's actually functional.

One thing they really need to do is get to alternating unit activation, but that's a whole edition away if it ever happens.

>Basically in your average game you will make 3 or so choices in 2+ hours, and then you run out of Decision Points and it's back to automatic.

Most of the choices can be before deployment, too. Not only stuff like Chapter Masters, any Stygiesmech army basically pays 1CP per melee unit they bring in order to do anything with them, and thanks to the new charge system it basically comes down to "Kill one unit, get dogpiled and murdered" regardless of whether the enemy are Termies with power fists or Harlequins.

Dorn!

Someone needs to make a Dorn x Alpharius one of these.

I played a local tourney in EU this past weekend, and since last time i played (we had around sixty players) it was announced that 30k is not going to 8'th and so on. So i had hoped that we would have had less WAAC players and meme-aholics

but still we had shit like magnus in ZM and white scars abuse like all hell. And no less than three TS armies. And a club from on south who abused the rules,while following them, and dragging games so they wouldn't lose in time.

as for meme-aholics we had one dude yelling "magnus did nothing wrong, nikea was an inside job" like fifteen times, and a bunch of meme screams over the tournament.

this was stated as a narrative "big gun" tournament. Is this representative for most tournaments?

just curious.

NOTE; it was still better than ANY 40k event i've attended

>goes to tournament
>surprised people are WAAC
Are you retar-
>namefag
Yes

Vid related is the typical 1kSons player I've encountered.

Nothing like beating an OP list with an underpowered one by playing smart... then seeing the look of frustration, confusion, and ultimately anger consume them.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPA9bKz2meI

Forgot vid

well more like.

Goes to narrative tournament that is usually fairly chill, get's surprised people are WAAC.

But you sure did a cogent and well formulated response to my question.

actually that was pretty much his pscyschic phase, i laughed at that.

Cheers for easing my hurt butt.

>Purposeful
Is it really though?

was scandus fun?

>White Scar dread

Still looks good though

I'm sure at least one White Scar dreadnought existed. Either a marine realized that they really needed more bodies on the front and said "I am okay will being trapped in a metal sarcophagus if it means saving my comrades" or just a regular member of the legion before they found Khan and started recruiting from a world where becoming a dreadnought was such a horrible concept.

Terrans had dreads.

Hey, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Should be French instead of Dorn.

Update: I found the superglue. It was easy except for the bottom plate, which I just left off cause I'll never see it anyways.

>humbling generators
do what now

OF COURSE HE IS MY BROTHER.

NOW I AM GOING TO WRITE A BOOK SPLITTING THE LEGIONS INTO SMALL INDEPENDENT CHAPTERS AND VARIOUS OTHER THINGS LOYALISTS DO.

Jesus, so this is what the community devolved to.

Anything to avoid accepting the fact that 7e is a bit of a shit.

Those aren't my opinions, I only played like three games of 8th. I'm just regurgitating what the shrinking number of 8th players in my area are telling me. Sprinkled in as well:
>all the new monopose a shit
>lore a shit
>I'm poor
>everyone else is unhappy so I guess I'm leaving too

7e isn't good but it is better than Warhammer 40k Age of Emperor.

How much of it have you actually played?

I have played 6 games of 8th edition
1x 1500 points 1v1v1 as space marines (first game of 8th) it was fun. I thought marines were underwhelming.
2x games of 1500 points (starting nids in 8th) 1v1. Both games were very close and I had a lot of fun. Spent more time moving models and rolling dice then looking up rules all over the damn place (more of GW layout flaw then game critique)
3x games of 2000 points
Again same thing very close and fun. I miss mysterious objectives because they can be funny but the grav flux generator was always fucking busted. The game is much more streamlined but still has some tactical flexibility. The re-roll dice mechanic is a great gamble...do I go for the reserves reroll, do I need this attack? What about this save? exct.

Watching friends blow two thirds of their command points on rerolls that fail anyway never stops being funny. Same with Tide of Traitor four respawning cultist blobs so they can reliably take about 175% losses each game.

>Spent more time moving models and rolling dice then looking up rules all over the damn place
So this is who 8th edition, people too dumb to remember a handful of rules. I look up like one rule every three games because I memorize the handful of rules I need and if I forget a rule I just turn to the right page and remember it for the rest of the game.

The issue with 8th edition is that it oversimplifies things. Spacing has literally no point anymore since templates no longer exist. Vehicle facing being removed makes vehicles overly simplified to the point where combat with them involves just shoot or charge until something dies instead of outflanking, and vehicles being able to fight in assaults is both retarded and removes a good deal of interesting capabilities regarding tank shocks.

Bring back templates and return vehicles to having AV and only being able to tank shot (outside of walkers) and I wouldn't give a shit about 8th edition, it would be as notable to me as 6th edition.

It truly is 3e all over again. And also kind of like 5e, if you're a Guard player. History does repeat itself.

>and vehicles being able to fight in assaults is both retarded and removes a good deal of interesting capabilities regarding tank shocks.

I rather like my Repressors actually being able to run people over with that big ass dozer blade rather than tank shock just slightly repositioning the enemy most of the time. The change to toughness/saves was overall a better decision to as the monster/vehicle divide was weird and artificial and basically entirely to the detriment of walkers.

>Bring back templates

Yay, more ignoring low BS and measuring autistically to have all your models at maximum coherency.

>vehicles to having AV

And return of explaining why X has AV and Y doesn't, and how it makes total sense. At tops I could see vehicles having front and rear armour, but it wouldn't matter much if guns aren't given arcs, and if you give guns arcs, you better have a good explanation why X has arcs and Y doesn't.

>Weak ass Alpha Memers

Ah, I see HHG hasn't gone full retard

>Yay, more ignoring low BS
Template weapons are almost always shorter ranged than alternative weapons for the unit or vehicle and blast weapons are balanced cost wise around the understanding that they negate poor BS. Besides now movement doesn't even matter much when it comes to heavy weapons since instead of being unable to fire on the move or snapfiring it is just -1 BS. But no, guardsmen hipfiring lascannons with only a minor loss to accuracy is fine but a bunch of guys with poor accuracy making up for it by using flamethrowers, that is just silly.
>measuring autistically to have all your models at maximum coherency.
I have never seen anyone do this. Besides with blast and template weapons there were actual reasons to care about positioning. Enemy doesn't have a lot of blast weapons? Maybe bunch up in cover or bunch up to barely get everyone in range or rapid fire range while making the enemy less likely to reach you in a charge. Your units have poor armour? Maybe bunch up in cover.

>And return of explaining why X has AV and Y doesn't
If it is mostly machine and big enough to warrant AV it should have an AV. How it is in practice differ sometimes but I don't give too much of a shit if a mechanicum robot or tau riptide has toughness while a land raider or leman russ has AV.

>but it wouldn't matter much if guns aren't given arcs
Sure it would. Put the backs of your vehicles to impassable terrain or bubble wrap the rear with troops so the enemy doesn't outflank or deepstrike with meltaguns or something.

>you better have a good explanation why X has arcs and Y doesn't
Because it has a noticeable limitation to its physical movement. A sponson weapon on the right side clearly cannot hit a target on the opposite side of the vehicle.

>guardsmen hipfiring lascannons

Or moving it quickly to a new position, giving you less time to set up before opening fire. Flat BS1 doesn't matter that much to low BS armies and a lot to high BS armies, meaning if you have to move that HW squad at all, you've wasted a whole turn of them shooting.

>bunch up in cover

Yeah, imagine that, using cover, rather than standing around in the open.

>I don't give too much of a shit if a mechanicum robot or tau riptide has toughness while a land raider or leman russ has AV.

Then why even have it?

>Sure it would. Put the backs of your vehicles to impassable terrain or bubble wrap the rear with troops so the enemy doesn't outflank or deepstrike with meltaguns or something.

Hence "much." Not as much as not being able to fire at the flanking enemy with a hull mounted gun without turning your back to the enemy type of thing.

>A sponson weapon on the right side clearly cannot hit a target on the opposite side of the vehicle.

And how do you justify a bike's forward mounted bolters measuring from the bike's rear tire around the corner or a thanatar's mortar firing behind the robot, while having a vindicator and land speeder locked to weapon arcs?

>meaning if you have to move that HW squad at all, you've wasted a whole turn of them shooting
Not anymore you haven't. Three lascannons firing on the move results in 1 hit on average vs 1.5 while static. I never even liked snapfire, but its better than the garbage system that 8th introduced.

>Yeah, imagine that, using cover, rather than standing around in the open.
Yes, bunching up when your unit is under mortar or artillery fire. Brilliant idea.

>Then why even have it?
Because in general it is a good rule to have. Its like saying "I can deal with some OP units as long as most units and armies aren't OP." Ideally GW would say "hey, riptides and robots are mostly metal, they should be treated like AV and be weak to meltaguns and stuff," however if having 90% of vehicles acting like vehicles is better than scrapping the whole system.

>Hence "much." Not as much as not being able to fire at the flanking enemy with a hull mounted gun without turning your back to the enemy type of thing.
A hell of a lot more depth than vehicles have now.

>And how do you justify a bike's forward mounted bolters measuring from the bike's rear tire around the corner or a thanatar's mortar firing behind the robot, while having a vindicator and land speeder locked to weapon arcs?
Bikes don't have AVs so their weapons having limited arcs don't matter in game terms. You could ride your bikes backwards or sideways in game terms and not only not impact your in game capabilities but it still intuitively makes sense (pivoting a motorcycle can be done a lot faster than turning a tank 90 degrees).

>Yes, bunching up when your unit is under mortar or artillery fire. Brilliant idea.

I dunno, we were trained to take cover, not to abandon it.

>Because in general it is a good rule to have.

Well, I mean, as long as YOU're happy.

>A hell of a lot more depth than vehicles have now.

And just as deep as what we had with all those "totally not a Vehicle, see, they're not using the rules for a Vehicle."

>Bikes don't have AVs

Why don't they? You telling me all that plating on the front is for show and doesn't do anything to protect the rider or the bike?

>You could ride your bikes backwards or sideways in game terms and not only not impact your in game capabilities

Hey, just like all the vehicles now!

>intuitively makes sense (pivoting a motorcycle can be done a lot faster than turning a tank 90 degrees).

There's no limitations to their turning in the movement phase, and if you've forgotten the 7e rules, pivoting on the spot doesn't even count as moving.

>I dunno, we were trained to take cover, not to abandon it.
Were you not trained not to bunch up when under artillery fire?

>Well, I mean, as long as YOU're happy.
Someone considers the features he prefers in a game better than features he doesn't. News at 11

>And just as deep as what we had with all those "totally not a Vehicle, see, they're not using the rules for a Vehicle."
Individual flaws, they should have been fixed individually, the whole system shouldn't have been thrown out.

>Why don't they? You telling me all that plating on the front is for show and doesn't do anything to protect the rider or the bike?
It gives them +1 toughness, just like anything on the sides and rear might provide protection. Although when motorcyles were commonly used in combat they weren't well armoured, certainly not enough to make them comparable to even light vehicles.

>Hey, just like all the vehicles now!
And hey bikes aren't tanks.

>There's no limitations to their turning in the movement phase, and if you've forgotten the 7e rules, pivoting on the spot doesn't even count as moving.
Bikes shooting at targets behind or to the sides of their front mounted guns could be easily interpreted as vehicles making turns while driving and turning back onto their main path of movement since motorcycles are more agile than vehicles.

>Calls non-8th edition people retards
>One guy preferred 8th edition because he was too stupid to memorize a handful of rules

I'm not the guy you are having a dick waving contest with, but my Army training for when you are taking artillery/ mortar fire says literally nothing about 'not bunching up'. It's all about hitting the deck, then rushing to cover as fast as your ass can get there. And if your squad is nut to butt in the cover so be it.
Also before I forget
DEEEEAAAAAADD GAAAAAMMMMMEEE

>D-dead game guys
>Continues to post in the thread
Mkay

>Were you not trained not to bunch up when under artillery fire?

When shit starts dropping, you get into cover first.

>they should have been fixed individually

But they weren't and edition after edition the problem got worse. At some point you just have to accept a lost cause.

>It gives them +1 toughness

All around. Sure, that Eldar and his bike are nice and covered by the big armoured nose from the front, but from the sides he's quite exposed and at the rear you have all the engines and such. But those are as well protected as the front. Makes you wonder why even have it.

>Although when motorcyles were commonly used in combat they weren't well armoured, certainly not enough to make them comparable to even light vehicles.

They also weren't the size of a small car and driven by fat space marines.

What exactly stops AV from going below 10?

>And hey bikes aren't tanks.

Neither are all Vehicles tanks.

>since motorcycles are more agile than vehicles.

Is an attack bike more agile than, say, a vyper? Is an earthshaker more agile than a land speeder?

>One guy

Well, since I wasn't the one who said anything about remembering rules, it seems we have ourselves a bone fide "you're all samefag" situation.

I thought the missing legions were written out of the record somewhere between the Heresy and "current day" 40K, so wouldn't it be possible for them to fit in anywhere with the excuse that their involvement was later redacted?

>When shit starts dropping, you get into cover first.
True but you also avoid bunching up in general which is why templates and spacing were an interesting concept which added tactical depth.

>But they weren't and edition after edition the problem got worse. At some point you just have to accept a lost cause.
If that is the case than it shouldn't be long until 40k is even more simplified than Age of Sigmar. Apparently complete rule overhauls for every single vehicle is simpler than overhauling the rules for like five units in 40k and like six in HH.

>All around. Sure, that Eldar and his bike are nice and covered by the big armoured nose from the front, but from the sides he's quite exposed and at the rear you have all the engines and such. But those are as well protected as the front. Makes you wonder why even have it.
Engines still protect the actual rider.

>Well, since I wasn't the one who said anything about remembering rules, it seems we have ourselves a bone fide "you're all samefag" situation.
Hey I'm not the one who called all people who prefer 7th retards, I just called one person a retard.

really? that's all you got?

Look man, you can like your retarded rules all you want, but don't pretend that it's not retarded. There's a reason why people ditched this.
>One guy preferred 8th edition because he was too stupid to memorize a handful of rules
The worse stupidity is thinking that a rule that gives players trouble is a rule system worth keeping.

dubs picks my legion.

Blood Angels

Blood Angels

Assuming I were some sort of, say, impulse buyer and now have about 150 unbuilt Calth and Prospero marines, which legion should I be looking most closely at?

whatever you want.

Blackshield Death Seekers

. . . or White Scars.

Very helpful. Thanks.

Luna Wolves, led by a Praetor with a terrible, terrible sense of direction.

Loyalist Iron Warriors.

I do the best I can.If you didn't know what you want to do with it, there's no reason to go into this time/money sink.

whatever whatever, chicken lunch, whatever

If I get trips ignore this and do traitor Imperial Fists

You failed. Also there were canonically no traitor Imperial Fists, while there were plenty of Loyalist Iron Warriors.

There's White Scars abuse?

No, they were written out before the Heresy.

>there were canonically no traitor Imperial Fists
What part of "every legion had traitors" don't you understand, wallfag?

Bikes are legal in ZM and are a bitch

I just started assembling my BaC box for first batch of Thousand Sons units.

Should I assemble regular tactical squads or go straight for the veterans? If veterans, how should I equip them?

user who never played army with options for weapons on troops here.

beginnings of my tank commander/totally not orth

That's... actually not a bad point.
Welp, guess I aughtta just toss this useless plastic, then. Good thing tonight is trash night.

I would sell it, but sure, you can do that too.