The X-Card is arguably the most important RPG tool invented since the d20 or the deodorant

The X-Card is arguably the most important RPG tool invented since the d20 or the deodorant.

If you don't know what the X-Card is, read here: docs.google.com/document/d/1SB0jsx34bWHZWbnNIVVuMjhDkrdFGo1_hSC2BWPlI3A/edit

It allows players to feel safe when they play RPGs, shutting down any discussion that takes them too far out of their comfort zones or sets of one of their triggers.

What experiences has Veeky Forums had with the X-Card? What potentially harmful discussions have you seen shut down? How has someone in your group prevented intolerant thoughts or sexual assault fantasies?

>Be in LGS
>Trying to assemble a group of players
>Eventually pick out 4 guys who look reasonably normal and can carry on a conversation for more than two minutes.
>Set a time for a session zero.
>Time comes.
>One of the guys is holding a deck of cards, I don't realize what it is and pay it no mind.
>Everyone has snacks.
>Start discussion of systems, tone of campaigns, levels of lethality everyone is comfortable with, that kind of stuff.
>Loud, smelly fart coming from the guy on my right.
>Suddenly, card waving.
>What the fuck is that, shouted at card dude from two different directions.
>X-Card! X-Card! Stop it. Dude seems on the verge of tears.
>Another fart from our previous gas-passer
>Now very visibly crying, he gets up and runs away.

To this day I have no idea what the hell his problem was.

Feels like 2014 in here.

gay and stupid

>What experiences has Veeky Forums had with the X-Card?
Everyone's only experiences with XCard is people making threads about it to rustle up /pol/ style shitposts.

I'm actually drunk enough to laugh at the joke that is your post, OP. Cheers.

The X-card's been useless as far as I've seen, because the only games that have them are ones that would constantly dive into the topics anyway. If you're going to start freaking out over sex in MonsterHearts, then maybe you shouldn't be playing MonsterHearts.

This bait is weak and unworthy of you. 0/10 apply yourself next time.

>/pol/ style shitposts
Makes me wonder how new people like this are. You don't have to go to /pol/ to hate how pussified our industry has become. This shit shouldn't be shoved in our books because it's literally already covered by the "Rule 0" in most competent publications.

The color of OP's picture is appropriate, because this is bait. It's pasta, a repost, spam, whatever you want to call it. Report, hide, ignore.

X-card shit is Gamergate-era bullshit

>session zero.
This meme needs to die. Wasting an entire session on something that can be accomplished with a couple emails, is abominAble and a sign of a GM who is full of shit and has no content to contribute. You want to make characters that fit well together? Make them based to the prompt given by the GM and email each other to make your backstories match up. Don't waste an entire session on that shit. Especially in systems where characters can die in the first 5 seconds.

>When you X-Card something, no explanation is needed.

>user taps X-Card
>you legitimately have no idea why they tapped the X-Card or what in that scene they found uncomfortable
>but you aren't allowed to ask them why they tapped the X-Card

I know this is super-duper old bait, but eh, fuck it.
X-cards used at your home group are a retarded thing, because you know, you should be able to talk with the people you invite in your home.
They kinda make sense in a con setting though, where you find yourself playing with strangers and might not want to tell them why something makes you uncomfortable.
My last game included an illegal abortion ring done through gruesome magitech, murder by poisoning, drug use and other unpleasant things. I trust my players to handle that in a mature way but I can see someone getting very uncomfortable.

Uh... dude, it's fun to make characters with your friends.

If they are uncomfortable that is their problem though, and they should talk about it like an adult and/or leave.

>make shitpost with stale as fuck bait
>he still get 15+ (you)s
Just let this thread drop, christ.

>Not knowing that OP does not get (you)s.
Lurk moar newfag.

>shitposts about extremely contentious nonissue that he knows will rile up /tg and STILL refuses to link an actual article about it because he's a petty beta who can't bear the thought of giving somebody 63 cents, even ironically
You couldn't have been a more obvious falseflagger if you tried

Pfft, implying I still have friends willing to play with me.

Has it happened? Has Veeky Forums become cancer? Hopefully it's just a lone tard.

>/tg, the post

The X-Card has a role in convention games where you might not be comfortable raising difficult topics with a group of strangers.

Outside of that, it's worthless and actively hinders mutual understanding and being able to really deal with the root of something, rather than having to keep guess at it from what topics of conversation get shut down.

I need my players to be able to talk to me, as a GM, and explain it if they have a particular issue. And I am more than happy to work with them to run a game they can enjoy and that avoids anything that might severely disrupt the quality of their experience.

You have no idea what Session Zero actually means

>/pol/ style shitposts
>Makes me wonder how new people like this are.

Yeah, we are all wondering exactly how new you are.

It is just one guy, I think he's trying to push a meme or something. He's also popped up here

I've solved this problem by throwing down my X-card in response to another's X-card, sort of like a counterspell.

As safe spaces trigger me, and therefore should be banned.

I think there is a practical use for (X) cards in that it could be something used to hurrying along a scene that may be making someone uncomfortable and then talking about what made them uncomfortable post session, but this is ruined by the extremes of both sides, where anti-SJWs would throw a tantrum at the introduction of (X) cards and radical SJWs would throw a tantrum for not immediately stopping the scene or for trying to figure out what to avoid at all.

>bring X-cards to game
>Have my character's turn, do my cool thing
>other player's turn
>tap my X-card
>another player's turn
>tap my X-card
>DM tries to have the monsters attack
>tap my X-card
>my turn again
>do this for 4 hours straight

>The X-Card has a role in convention games where you might not be comfortable raising difficult topics with a group of strangers.

The problem is, it's very difficult to know what topics to avoid if the only thing the person does it stop everything in the middle of a scene to say "I'm offended" and leave it at that. Like, ok, something I said offended you, but what part? There were plenty of things happening there.

I've found x-cards are unneeded if you are capable of talking things out like an adult. You don't even need to make a scene or anything, just ask if you can speak to me to the side for a second, or even just pass a note. "I was a bit offended by x" and that's that. You don't need to elaborate or explain why, I just need to know what to actually avoid.

>"I’d like your help.”
>“Your help to make this game fun for everyone.”
>“If anything in the game makes anyone uncomfortable…”
>[ draw an X on an index card ]
>“…just lift this card up, or simply tap it."
>“You don’t have to explain why.”
>“It doesn't matter why.”

You are on fucking Veeky Forums. You of all people should know that you can't expect randos to be civil.

>I've found x-cards are unneeded if you are capable of talking things out like an adult.

And that's not getting into the X card player is with a GM who will talk about things like an adult.

My players don't use email though.

X-Card posting gets you banned, user.
I'm not joking.

There should be a Y-Card

When someone plays an X-Card you counterplay the Y card, then you ask them Why

But we can't just suddenly change the game just because one person decides to have a tantrum. Are we playing with small children or adults?

>He doesn't set up his games together with the players in the first session

I bet you ran great games in 1981.

This sounds like safe space garbage. Only the sexual assault comes off as "not ok" to me unless all members present are aware these potential for these things and or consent to their character in ooc getting raped/raping.
Anything in character is fine to me so long as all members are aware of the potential for consequences. Hating on a creed/race/gender unironiclly or more then a few quips here and there ooc is NOT ok and as bad as bringing politics or religion to a friendly game. Thats just a recipe for a bad time.

Huh? I don't expect randos to be civil, I expect randos that want to game together to not piss themselves when imaginary rape happens.

We've already had this thread like three times and it has never not been complete shit, stop fucking making it

sage

So... I want to play RPGs but I have nobody to play them with. How do I meet people without using facebook (I refuse to use facebook again)?

What the flying fuckity fuck is the world coming to?

dont play games that appeal to niches with randos fuckhead.

Are you an idiot?

Systems where characters can die in the first 5 seconds are not narrativist games. Session zero is very specifically for narrativist games.

There's a thread exactly for that.
PS I swear if my newfaggotry fucked up the formatting for this referral...

I don't know. I just game with people I grew up with, haven't made a new friend since I was 16 (30 now).

>Such is life in Sweden

If I was social and wanted to meet people to game with I'd join some local boardgame/role-playing group.

>I expect randos that want to game together to not piss themselves when imaginary rape happens.

So you expect randos to be civil.

You literally just said
>I don't expect randos to be civil
>I expect them to be civil

If we equate 'session zero' to 'character creation session' then I think they are fun in high-lethality games as well. The death doesn't hurt if you don't like the character.

>When someone plays an X-Card you counterplay the Y card, then you ask them Why

I came here to fight orcs. The DM will have to get over the fact that another player doesn't want to deal with rape in Middle Earth and proceed forward with the plot.

Well don't play with freaks then

I think the onus is on the offended to remove themselves from the fun. Offense is a choice. Becoming uncomfortable is a choice. If you are uncomfortable or offended, then you, as an individual, are the only one responsible for relieving that. And you should do it by removing yourself or getting over it. Anything else will hinder or ruin the fun of the people who are enjoying the content that makes you uncomfortable, and they should have the ability to continue that enjoyment, whether or not you like it.

Obvious troll is obvious.

wut

>I think the onus is on the offended to remove themselves from the fun.

And now the party is out of a cleric. Or an otherwise awesome experience where everyone is having a good time is broken up because the DM thinks that rape is absolutely crucial to her game of pretend.

Don't play with people who can't handle basic human interaction without carrying around a deck of cards that are somehow supposed to shield them from everything they dislike.

What about something like this, but players only get one per campaign? After that everything is fair play.

They would not have an awesome experience with a dude that can't function with other humans

Fine by me. If they can't separate a work of fiction from reality, they really shouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place, and are certainly not welcome at my table. Whether its a con game or not or in my home.

We'll have the cleric act as an NPC until we find a replacement or the player manages to use their adult words to talk about the issue with us.

Wut? The dude functions perfectly fine so long as rape isn't involved.

Think of it like an allergy but in your head.

Or when you see someone that reminds you a lot of a beloved ex.

Obviously not for a stable group, but for stupid randoms, fine. They don't have to put up with being offended, I don't have to put up with them if they have some bullshit to say. If I can't handle that, I don't need to play with said randoms, nor would I actually want to.

So in that way, OP is right in that it is an important tool - it's a very quick and easy way to spot a group I won't play with.

> If they can't separate a work of fiction from reality

...wut? Dude they were playing just fine. Jumping between in character and out of character conversation/moments/jokes. Hell they even went to the restroom while their character was holding a rope that another party member was climbing down.

>but for stupid randoms, fine

Good job, you realize the literal reason X cards were made.

Rather, you will have to get over the fact that the activity you "came here to do" involves a not insignificant chance of dealing with rape.

I swear to god I've been gaming since fucking 1983 and this is the most retarded concept I've seen yet, and I've seen it all.
This is nothing more than yet another attempt to shield people from the harsh realities of the world.
It legitimately sickens me that people are so unable to deal with even the most insignificant blemish in the world around them. There are no humans left, just a bunch of walking talking vaginas

They can't function if they can't be civil and go along with the majority in a game of pretend.

What part of "shitty copypast bait thread, do not reply" do you retards not understand? At least have the courtesy to sage.

see If you are so immature that you cannot bring yourself to actually explain what makes you uncomfortable, you either need to bring someone with you who can do it for you or avoid social gaming altogether.

Come on, everyone knows you can't untap your X-card until the untap step on your next turn.

If I played with randoms and someone pulled out a deck of cards with Xs on them, put them down and expected people to unquestioningly change the game to cater to card-man... I wouldn't play with them anymore.

>Or get my own X-cards, lol

A lot of people still think it's a horrible censorship tool for thin skinned cowards, so it does seem some people need the purpose pointed out.

Depends on DM.

> I've been gaming since fucking 1983

Literal lie

Censorship is mainstream now in the west, though. At least in Europe. And leftists love it.

Wait, so the majority think that rape is a crucial part of the game and the plot?

Yeah, RPGs didn't even exist until 2003

Yet apparently they can't figure out that whatever is offending them isn't happening in reality and is for literary effect.

Again, they can remove themselves and talk about it later if the issue is really that bad. No need for this stupid X card bullshit which drives everything to a crashing halt.

Yes, and X-cards could certainly be used for that, but they really aren't equivalent.

tad/pol/e stay on topic. You're drowing.

If it is then it is, up to the GM and the group (read: not up to mr snowflake with his deck of cards).

>We've already had this thread like three times and it has never not been complete shit, stop fucking making it

You know, if Veeky Forums still had quest threads to keep people's attention, these low-effort bait threads wouldn't get so much traction and most of them would fall off the board with 1 or 2 replies. Eventually the OPs would stop making them because they weren't getting enough of the negative attention they craved.

Hey, hey, hey - This was only posted because there weren't any good CYOAs posted in the live /cyoag/ so blame those people.

Quest Threads were not thrown off this board due to some bizarre attempt at saying they were not Veeky Forums related. The problem was that quest threads were becoming popular on every other board and those threads were getting re-directed here. Quest threads have been kicked off of EVERY board and Veeky Forums was no home for /a/'s millionth waifu quest of the day. Let the quests go, and if you miss them so much they are still over on the quest board. But we are NOT /a/s babysitters.

dumb shit

>Can't go five fucking seconds without talking about EVIL Eurocommie leftists
Keep /pol/ shit in /pol/, fag.

>The problem was that quest threads were becoming popular on every other board and those threads were getting re-directed here. Quest threads have been kicked off of EVERY board and Veeky Forums was no home for /a/'s millionth waifu quest of the day.
Agreed. But the quests that were born on Veeky Forums should be allowed back here, or /qst/ should be renamed /rpg/ and given a better description than "quest threads, roleplaying threads, Mage Guild threads, Field Kit Inspection threads, Galactic Federation threads, and any other types of Veeky Forums threads that Veeky Forums's mod doesn't like".

At the rate we're going, /qst/ is going to be Card Games, Board Games, etc. go here and Veeky Forums is going to be "Veeky Forums: Warhammer 40k Rules Clarifications".

Who ever said that a single card beats the votes of 4+ people who feel strongly about a thing?

Nobody. Which is why the card is a retarded idea from every angle,

>Hey I'm sorry but this topic/scene is really uncomfortable for me due to personal reasons, would you please skip it?
Wow so hard

The whole point of the card is that it shortcircuits the situation and can't be voted on. The basic pitch for the card already tells you that you can't object to it until after the session.

tad/pol/e

You assume that people are either "for" or "against" something.

You are neglecting the spectrum of human reaction for no reason.

Unless you are literally autistic

This is the civil thing to do, but there's an undercurrent of entitlement in communities of "damaged" people ( and "adjacent") that drives to create things like the X card in the name of dignity. "I shouldn't have to ask for understanding" and such.

This can't be a real thing that ever actually comes up.

>This can't be a real thing that ever actually comes up.
It probably happened once or twice, but we have daily threads where OP pretends that his entire group is constantly dropping them. See

I do. But i don't call it session zero cause I'm not a desperate redddit hipster trying to seem different. And I don't spend the entire fucking first session on it.

Explain what it means, then, redddit spacer.

I've seen them peddled in SJ communities I joined for the games, but I've never actually seen one used. I curated the groups I actually played with, though. There were definitely people who would've been a problem with this kind of tool at their disposal.

OP here - I didn't pretend anything, there is a complete absence of me claiming any personal experience! While I do think it's nice for cons and such to allow really, really timid and scared people to join in, it certainly doesn't entitle anyone to anything beyond what the group agrees with, just like any situation. It's like a special needs tool for anyone who's fine with helping special needs people.

I've obviously never had any personal experience with it, nor do I have any interest in playing with a group that would use the tool. If we can't feel comfortable enough to say "Sorry, but that crosses a line for me, could we please ?" then I don't really have the time to put in the effort of making it work.

On here it was obviously bait though (a cookie to everyone who took the time to inform us that transparent bait was bait, impressive!), people are going to lash out over it on principle (and of exaggerated fear of leftists). But it's nice to see the more civil discussion over the entire scale.

Oh, and I've never posted or seen one of these before - not sure if you count me as new if I've been away since circa 2009. Didn't expect it to be original though. If you want to yell at me over something, feel free. This is both honest and bait at the same time.