Games You'll Never Run

>The players are in a scared straight program and a prison riot starts.

>Catholic Church makes boys gay by having disgusting old men rape them
>proceeds to call the now-gay boys they're sinners and need to be ECTed back on the straight and narrow

>The players encounter friendly NPCs who are competent in supporting roles but unable to help them much in whatever the main conflict of the campaign is.
>The PCs react positively to these guys holding down the fort while they try to assassinate the dark lord or whatever, instead of say, getting uncomfortable that they have people on their side with IQs above room temperature, feeling threatened by their modest successes, murdering them in front of everyone, and then being puzzled why they're disliked.

>The players are in a scared straight program and a prison riot starts.
You don't know how either of those things work, do you

Realistic, medieval RPG set in the feudal period. Using a system like Harnmaster, Runequest or Gurps. Probably no or very , very low magic to the point its basically superstition.

Players would play the family members of the house of a feudal lord dealing with various issues of internal and external strife, raiding sheep, protecting farmers from losing their sheep, deposition attempts, the King calling up everyone for a war, the head priest calling for a crusade, etc, etc.

Unfortunately most players don't want to play in a system where being scratched by a thorn and dying of gangrene as a result is a thing. Likewise everyone wants to basically be a superhero.

It's amazing how people will run with ideas that only demonstrate how little they understand.

>NPCs are competent
>Not able to help in the main conflict
Why the hell should I care what happens to these guys?

Rule of cool.

Oh, yeah, the masonry guy keeping the city wall intact, the trade merchant making sure people have food and spices, the carpenters, butchers, bakers, farmers, random functionaries, minstrels...

Yeah one of them is going to kill the lich while you're worried about gay marriage. Shut the fuck up and kill the lich.

>one with players that are interested in learning even just the basics of the game

>nWoD session starts off very slice of life
>suddenly magical realm anime shit starts happening
>characters die off one by one within first hour
>geist sin eaters for everyone
>possibly flavor it as persona

>Rule of cool
Back to tv tropes with you

I don't. Doesn't mean I don't want it.

Tell me how this wouldn't work because I want to attempt this in some way. Is it because I said prison instead of jail?

1. Roman Citizens in Britannia when the Rescript of Honorius was issued in 411 AD.
2. Star Wars dungeon crawl in Coruscant undercity.
3. Anything in the Fallout universe.

Let me guess, your players don't want to learn anything other than the system they're used to?

>Four murderhobos get elected into a Senate
>90% of the other senators are also murderhobos in suits than can oneshot the party
>Bring in the media circus
>Reporters drop loot that might let you survive against your peers

Everyone is the surviving interstellar supersoldiers who have been abandoned on the jungle planet for 10 years, they have had to live out of a remote science station and supplies have started to run out.

Sounds like a TV spot for Adult Swim.

I'd play it.

Without getting caught, RWBY.

The first issue I can see with that is that the party will start making SW prequel jokes until you force them to stop.

>Players play themselves magically transported to fantasy land

>party are all clones of the same person, who may or may not be dead

>I AM THE SENATE
>Roll for getting hit with lightning.
>From who?
>The god of this realm because he is tired of your shit jokes.

>ask players to stat themselves
>at first session have them swap with another player

>Where is that lightning coming from?
>look up
>it's a giant painting of Palipitine's face

This is good.

>Oh, yeah, the masonry guy keeping the city wall intact, the trade merchant making sure people have food and spices, the carpenters, butchers, bakers, farmers, random functionaries, minstrels...
Once again why should I care about these people? None of their jobs help me accomplish my goals, none of them are fighting alongside me.

You could do tests for physical stats, mental stats might be harder.

You're doing a very good job of impersonating someone with absolutely no foresight. I'm impressed.

I think it's less about caring and more about not murdering them because they happen to have more skill ranks than you in their chosen trade.

And of course if your character is such an edgy loner that they don't care if there's a society to spend all the gold they get feom murderhobo-ing, then there isn't really much reason for them to, I suppose.

Not everyone roleplays edgelords for one.

Could work for a one shot, it would be cool.

I sure hope we can hire some architects to build that manor we've been dreaming of for years! Of course, we'll need a friend who can find the best buyers for this treasure and rare items we we rewarded with..
But when we get the manor, we're going to need furniture, food and probably a clerk or two to run the estate while I'm touring the provinces and re-uniting with the friends I've made on this adventure! And a little music wouldn't hurt.

If only there were some kind of architect or builder, a skilled merchant, carpenters, butchers, bakers, functionaries and minstrels.
But Fred killed them all because they didn't help him accomplish his goal of killing the god of Death.

>realistic low magic fantasy sandbox where players can do anything and go anywhere and have full agency
>difficult combat, nothing for free
>they are rising up from zero to hero, not hero to superhero
>no huge overarching plot hanging over their heads, they are not destined to do anything except what they want
>medium crunch system like Hackmaster

I thought I would never run this, but then I just nutted up and have been running it for almost 40 sessions and it's going great.

>he got a sandbox to work
Tell me your secrets

Have a great map to start with, have good players who want to roleplay in villages and towns and wilderness (and at least a couple of them have to be proactive), and steal ideas from all sorts of places.

I spent quite a bit of time to prepare everything before it even started, but after that, I only really prepare things as they go there. Just ask them what their ideas, desires, and plans are for the next session or two at the end of each session.

This thing. If I had the right group, I'd run it in a heartbeat, but finding the right people is borderline impossible for something like this.

I don't think he's roleplaying.

That's because DungeonWorld is shit.

Not him, but I think it's just a lack of ego thing.
Don't be attached to any particular outcome, and be flexible enough to let things happen and only push things towards interesting results as necessary.

Kingdom F*ckin Hearts, it's about the only setting I can realistically see using 5e as high fantasy as it's intended being fun.

I'd add that I have tons of rumors, tons of potential plothooks and quests in every direction. So it doesn't actually matter to me which way they go, or what they do.

Obviously certain things change over time and some plots and quests are time sensitive and some are not, so what they choose to pursue or not will affect the world in reasonable and realistic manners and they can't possibly do everything that's available.

>liking Kingdom Hearts setting
>F*ckin

You new around these parts?

>Being so uncomfortable in your own sense of self that still liking something from your childhood is a bad thing.

Maybe when you grow up a little yourself you'll learn that people will find a bunch of reasons to shit on your parade, liking something is hardly going to be at the top of that list.

My best guess is that I'm pretty sure scared strait stuff only happens in minimum security prisons with inmates that are considered extremely low risk that just happen to look tough enough, but I don't think that's something you couldn't just take liberties with on a game anyway

The thing doesn't even use actual Dungeon World rules, it only uses the name for marketing purposes.

Why don't you look in the pdf before slamming it, user. Sheesh.

I really like the idea of playing out movies in a sort of fanfictiony way, but I think playing the actual characters from the movies would be better, personally.

One player plays Woody, another Buzz, and the third plays protagonic Slinky.

Nah, what you do for mental stats is just roll randomly (3d6 down the line) for them, and then just claim to have evaluated everyone yourself, and that those are accurate.

Then you just watch the butthurt

>PC's are characters in a fantasy world, who get called as part of a crusade
>Apparently, there are these super-powerful teenagers appearing out of nowhere, and causing havoc wherever they go
>According to tortured prisoners, they're from an unknown land known simply as 'japan'
>The PCs have to fight psychopathic teenagers with bullshit powers to save their land
>I'd call it Isekai Hunters

>You don't know how either of those things work, do you
unlike magic and dragons

>something from your childhood
Never played it when I was a kid. Tried to get into a few years ago and the setting felt like a vehicle for the story. That wouldn't be so bad if the story wasn't pants-on-head retarded.

Veeky Forums has chronic muhrealismis since it touched wieners with /pol/. Don't take it to heart.

He's not making fun of you for liking KH. He's making fun of you for censoring "fuck."

When people do that here they're intentionally trying to look like underage posters from reddit or wherever they come from these days. The post was never really about Kingdom Hearts, the guy was just taking a shot at 5e for whatever reason. Kingdom Hearts is shit though

You both have the reading comprehension of a gnat.

The original poster likes KH and thinks you need to be very high fantasy to make 5e work. The second poster is making fun of both liking KH and meme-censoring the u.

You are correct.
Scared straight programs will occasionally have some real hardasses, but it's mostly an act.
t. a prison guard

Wow, why didn't they say that earlier. That just adds to the scenario, doesn't it? One of the NPCs is a guard pretending to a be a hardened convict, but you don't tell the players that. When the riot breaks out, the guard is an unknown asset that they think is a threat.

Better yet, they think he's some badass looking out for them, but he's just an embezzler gym rat with some tattoos that's hiding out with them

>The second poster is making fun of... liking KH
I don't think there's evidence in that text that supports this claim.

>a game about pith helmet explorers discovering and exploring the mysterious realm inside the hollow earth

>Imma show them how much I know about the topic by telling them that they don't know nothing! Tee hee!

doesn't stop Only War from being a thing

set it in Rome and see if the Roman quotes cancel it out

fucking Xianxia tabletop

kinda has the bells and whistles of RPGs
>everyone is a murderhobo
>magic healing items and rare drops
>magic beasts
>levels towards godhood

A friend of mine ran a game almost word for word like that. Low fantasy, sandbox, plot and city politics go over our heads as does the gang fights we got sucked up into, low magic, we're all a bunch of street urchins in a grungy fantasy world city, combat is very hard.

We got into trouble and then got recruited by a mob, after a job to get even the boss gave us another job, we go a bit too far on accident (one fuck up lead to another leading to needing to make desperate moves that worked out) and before we know it we're inside the ship we're just supposed to stake out at the docks and we're hiding the body of one of the guards we by luck got the drop on. Then we manage to take out the other two guards mostly by stealth and a lot of the three of us street urchins beating him to death.

Then we realized something. We were in a sandbox setting. And we now had full control of a ship. We could say fuck the city and go off somewhere else. We probably would have died but at the time it seemed like a great idea. We only didn't because the GM had spent so much time on the setting it would have been cruel.

It was an alright game altogether. We forced one member of our party to enter into some fighting pits at one point, just for a bit of coin. It wasn't pretty.

Something based on Xanth but less friendly and noblebright.

Fund it. Give it 26 eps. Call Studio Bones. Tie it in with a light novel adaptation. I don't fucking care, just make it happen.

Oh I have a few
>Monster and other childish thing campaign were players start in kindergarden to adulthood. The books never came out in my country and switching between two language during a session is annoying.

>Fun and light hearted Honor + Intrigue campaign but I have the same problem as above, the book isn't in my language and it probably never will be

>An absolutly metal campaign based on various things like Brutal Legend, Heavy Metal movie and various Metal albums cover while using Barbarians of Lemuria system. The hardest thing is creating the setting and I don't know where to start

Of course the biggest problem is finding a regular group, so far, I only ran one shot with stranger at my lgs

Why not begin the translation process? You wouldn't need to translate it all, just the bits relevant to your players.

>Muh /pol/

You're just like /pol/ with "Muh jews"

I just want to run a huge, exciting game focused around exploration. Have the players delving through expansive underground cave networks with no end in sight, hopping from island to island in the ocean or on the clouds, or marching across a vast continent with new oddities at every turn.

But trying to keep that sense of wonder while making sure things stay fresh and actually making explorations exciting...I don't know if I'm good enough to pull it off.

How would you run Cuphead?

That's only smart, once he's killed the Death God he'll become the Death God. And since divinities just sort of whip stuff up from their imagination he doesn't need any mere mortals.

So do they roll a new character every time their current one dies? Because if you're doing doing real Isekai those teens are unstoppable.

Both greentexts are facetious echoing of the original poster to make fun of their "immaturity", for both liking KH and for using that meme. You're assuming that the first line in a greentext is setup, but in this case it isn't. Both lines are setup to the payoff of the image.

>liking KH setting
>liking the "F*cking" meme
"You're a filthy millenial, user-kun. Get out of my board."

This is what they meant.

>Set in a huge crime-ridden city
>Even veteran adventurers avoid this shithole
>People are in poverty, buildings are falling apart, disease is rampant
>Charity is punished by being robbed, being a robber is punished by mob justice
>The entire place it just a poorly-run oversized ghetto
>The party are 1d6+5 year old children living in alleys

Hard to run it as a straight emulation, but something like Toon could possibly work decently enough if you don't mind putting more emphasis on PCs being toons that can do more outlandish things that just shoot and dodge.

>Maximum age is 11
>Minimum age is 6

But why? The scared straight kids are ages 12-17. Why so young?

I think it's pretty clear this user isn't actually running the original scenario and just wants to run fantasy urchins, which I can sympathize with.

Make an urchin game thread, user. Gather plotpoints and iamges and shit

Naw, they'd have a chance to kill the teens. But I'd save those encounters for boss battles and the like, and try to make a new powerset for each teen.

Fuck, you're right. Got me there, I somehow thought that first line was an actual quote

Look into ib: Instant Bullet for the edgiest set of teens with powers. Guaranteed cringe

>A party of white kids goes looking to score some weed
>end up in a bad black neighborhood (like harlem or something)
>car broken down
>the sun is setting
>they have to grab whatever improvised weapons they can and fight for their lives to try and get to safety
>will they die on the street, or will they manage to
ESCAPE FROM NEGROTOWN
>(?)

It would probably just be run as a reskinned zombie survival game, maybe with Left 4 Dead style safehouses

>/pol/ pushes their agenda in your game

>I sure hope we can hire some architects to build that manor we've been dreaming of for years!
Doesn't mean we need to care about the architect personally.

>Of course, we'll need a friend who can find the best buyers for this treasure and rare items we we rewarded with
Why not just hire a contractor to find a buyer? Better yet why not just demand payment in gold instead of random crap the person hiring you had lying around.

>But when we get the manor, we're going to need furniture, food and probably a clerk or two to run the estate while I'm touring the provinces and re-uniting with the friends I've made on this adventure!
So hire someone. That's what I do when I need someone to do something, I don't go asking the architect who is my friend for some reason if he will agree to be a clerk at my manor.

>But Fred killed them all because they didn't help him accomplish his goal of killing the god of Death.
There is only one town on earth?

>any sort of campaign, fantasy, sci-fi, or modern day, where the PCs are cute anime girls

It would have to be text-based though.

>But I want to play my own character!

You can always make the voices into actual charactersa and play it like an actual rpg instead of a party game. Have them be his dead grandparents or something.

Some user told a story about playing it with John being a secret agent and the voices being his dead friends who all specialized in a secret agent thing. Very dramatic shit

Considering that sundown towns were actually a thing, wouldn't it be a lot more appropriate for the situation to be reversed?

As a player that sounds like a cool campaign to go through.

As a black man that scares the shit out of me.

I played this campaign, almost to a tee. Except that the campaign started with the hung over PCs getting kicked out of a taxi in detroit, with zero recollection of how they got there.

It was 10/10 comedy.

I once ran a fairly successful sandbox game, depending on how you want to define sandbox. I built (read: shamelessly stole) plot and map form the Exile/Avernum series, had the players build characters based off of a vague background that would get them exiled, which wound up being a brigand, a politician who lost a power struggle, a weird old hedge wizard, and an exiled prince. I littered the map with mini adventures they could go on, and basically gave them free reign to go where they wanted, with the vague end goal of escape form Exile and assassinate the Emperor so Prince could take over.

From there the players built their own plot, while I only had major plot nodes in my head, such as the party learning about an old war with demons in which a demon lord was trapped, possible ways to escape the caverns, etc.

By the 2nd session they had taken over a group of bandits and converted them into a private military, and my dreams of heroic adventures went up in flames, the hedge wizard dying and being revived by a demonic deal who then decided death sucks, so he'll cure death.

The party ended with the brigand being a monstrous half dragon, which killed the best dragon ally the Exiles had, the prince worshipping an ancient spider god, the politician being a black hearted soldier, the hedge wizard was a lich whom sold his soul to a bureaucratic imp, with the addition of a ten foot long giant tarantula.

I kept telling myself they were the good guys.

Was the longest running campaign we've had yet, we had fun.

Everyone is John is a great party game, my group used to run it if necessary member of the group werent there, were gonna be late, or no one had anything prepared.

We generally did it as whoever won became the next GM, kept it fast and loose, and had goofy starts whenever we played. Tell you groups to not take it so fucking seriously and try it out, and they'll have a blast.

Also, best obsession is "point a gun at someone" If guns ever come up then you'll rack up points like no one's business, and whenever you complete your obsession while in control, you leave the next person in an awkward position.

The players are a group of ordinary Old West citizens of a frontier town when tons of spooky shit starts happening. A ghost train runs through the middle of the city carrying the ghosts of people the townsfolk have wronged, and they won't let anyone rest until the wrongs have been righted.

An Ironclaw game.

Who said you had to? Adventure, exploration, conquest, etc are the services you and your team provide. Treat it like a job. An architect has no personal, emotional investment in the people who will use and occupy their buildings. Psychologists are taught to keep their clients' problems to their sessions rather than taking them to heart at home.

Fuck, I love Harn.

Asylums dont work IRL as they do in Gotham but Arkham Asylum was still a great game