>Unearthed Arcana: Eladrin and Gith
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Who are your favorite and best Big Bads?

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OhWa-U0a6-g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Who are your favorite and best Big Bads?

Greedy merchants

I personally like to just go with typical "This archdevil is trying to do X" but that can get boring.

I wish I would use actual Dragons as BBEGs more, but they feel played out

Does he offer the party power in exchange for items?
What's the motivation and plot hook there?

>I wish I would use actual Dragons as BBEGs more, but they feel played out

They're not. For as much as they appear in popular culture, I don't think players typically get to fight a dragon that often - if dragons even make an appearance in a campaign.

Of course a good one is the politician that "has the good of his people" at heart, but is actually going off the rails

(see also, iRobot)

I was thinking more in terms of players typically blowing an amount of money that can feed a starving kingdom for years on end on a sword that hurts a little bit more when they cut things with it.

How do I make a compelling Great Old One-as-BBEG campaign?

My favorite big bads are the ones who are big, but not big enough to match up to the GIANT bad and has to team up with the party to stop the GIANT one.

wrong thread nerds

I like this.
Throw the whole "no ethical consumption" idea at the party.

>I mean, you are a paladin, yes?
>Sworn to protect those from danger?
>Isn't hunger a danger?

Feedback request, particularly on Forked Tongue, for the xth time.

youtu.be/OhWa-U0a6-g

As a cleric player, Divine Soul is making me feel super inadequate.
>Here's your class
>But more powerful and versatile
>And it's fluff is also more special.
>Oh, you've spent years worshipping your God, learning theology and being a faithful follower, until you were finally noticed by the Almighty?
>Well, that's cool and all, but this guy here? He's the CHOSEN ONE!
>Or a demigod, that works too.

Does torture work in your campaigns?

The meme is that D&D sucks and you should stop playing it, and this really gives it credit. There appears to be constantly classes or class options that shit on other class options entirely, the only reason to play the inferior one being fluff or fun. Why play a warlock or sorcerer when you can play a wizard and be better? Why play a cleric when you can be a sorcerer like this?

We just don't know.

My DM is a huge liberal with a chip on his shoulder, and he actually INCREASES the DC of getting information with the use of torture because "hurr durr, torture only makes people say what you want to hear".

What Dragon variants line up best with the 5 Chinese Elements? Red is obvious for Fire, as is Green for Wood. Iron or Steel would both fit fine as Metal. But what sorts of dragons best encompass Water or Wind?

>Torture henchmen
>Eventually reveals part of his lieutenant's schedule
>He has a favorite whore he likes to fuck
>Talk with her, she has no love for the guy cause he cut up some of her friends
>Next time he visits her he's greeted with a knife in the back
>Buy the whore a one way ticket out of the city
>Henchman is moved to a new command, feeding us information on his new lieutenant now
That's how it went down in my campaign

Isn't this just the nature of D&D though?

I mean power creep is always a thing, but yea it fuckin sucks

WHERE IS IT
FUCK
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It depends how the PCs do it and who they're doing it to.

Reminds me of the hilariously shitty Priest storyline in Legion which basically exists solely to jerk off paladins. Even one of the priest NPCs ends up getting the "good end" and becomes a paladin.

UA when?

Any word on the UA?

next week.

You guys realize we're answering your questions in the correct thread, right

Delayed till next week bros

My DM is stupid about this too. We've basically just stopped torturing people and assume all our bad guys are useless alive. I think he feels like this has backfired, but he hasn't said anything yet.

I think that's pretty good.
Maybe just the AC bonus, but it doesn't feel gamebreaking.

and more importantly, it sounds like it would actually make 2h'ing versatile weapons fun

Bronze is a water type, I believe, and white could be wind. But go wild and just fluff up a blue dragon.

>But what sorts of dragons best encompass Water or Wind?
Brass Dragons live by the ocean right? So they'd probably work for Water, as would Black on the chromatic side.
Wind is trickier though.

That's fine, because in WoW paladins and priests are literally same people, except one group wears armor, and one does not. Paladins literally appeared when priests put on armor and went to war.

White for Water, Blue for wind.

>

I usually mix it up. The information isn't necessarily reliable, but boy will you get it

Paladins don't have shadow magic.

I responded differently - I started casting Zone of Truth. Torture forces them to talk, zone of truth forced them to be truthful.
Fuck you, Ling, fuck you and your preachy politics.

Except they do. See the curious case of Lilian Voss.

Paladins save the day.
...by using pliers on people

where's it say that

>Lilian Voss
A rogue?

common sense and the ability to extrapolate on past data

I keep Blanking on the fact that some of thedefault ones do have a swim speed like that.

I was debating between Blue or Silver for Wind, though I suppose both would work fine. Mainly felt like it'd be odd to have a less even mix of chromatic and metallic

This is good. Maybe it can't always get the "HERES THE WHOLE EVIL PLAN" out,

but can lead you down a better path to get where you need to go

Oh yeah, I remember when she started all glowing shadowy, lifted her father from the ground with shadow magic and brutally killed him. Typical rogue abilities.

>Players go ahead and fight 2 (at dofferent times) CR 20+ BBEGs.
>at level 7 and then 8
>now each party member has a "brand" from one of the BBEGS
>allows bbeg to cast geas on them each week.
>party members each compelled by one of 2 different big bads
>"find the thing the campaign was already about, but for me"

How does this play out? If they want to remove the brand what do I rule? They need greater restoration? True restoration? Help from a god?

Your players would be okay with either choice.

What the fuck is a true restoration

I'd argue for remove curse/dispel magic, greater restoration doesn't seem to make any sense

I'd have them play the bosses off against each other.

>casting geas on players

Choo fucking choo.

Repostin because no responses:

5e detect magic questions
> do potions inna bottle have the aura (enlarge)
> do creatures who drank the potion have an aura (enlarged)
> what's the school if any (enlarged or healing)
> Where are the schools described (phb just lists)

Rusty as hell dm and I know 5e detect magic isn't for "that sword is magic" like in previous versions, I'm guessing it's not in either case and it's so blatantly obvious it isn't which is why nothing is asked or answered about it.

Sorry, meant, Lesser/Greater, not Greater/True

She's no paladin, bro.

They decided to find and fight the bigbads with 100 chances to get away and back out. Seemed the only reason they wouldn't have been killed outright. That's why I'm trying to figure out what they do to get rid of it

>Uses Light/Shadow, which is basically the same fucking thing
>Armor-wearing melee fighter
Seems like a paladin to me!

Rogue's wear armor and fight with melee weapons. She's a rogue with shadowesque powers.

This is what I'm hoping for the most really

That doesn't make any sense. Rogues don't use divine magic.

>all glowing shadowy
Cloak of Shadows
>shadow magic weapon shit
Nightblade, Shadow Blades, Shadowstrike
>brutally killed him
The entire rogue kit.

Actually, yeah. She's an incredibly typical Legion Sub rogue. She even dual-wields.

Paladins don't use shadow magic either.

>not realizing the Subtlety rogues have been slipping ever closer to just being stabby shadow priests since Cata

My GOO BBEG is seeking to manifest a nigh indestructible form in the material plane, inhabit as much matter as possible all nezperdian hive mind like, launch an assault on all the remaining planes, hive mind literally everything ever, and expend all entropy to kill the multiverse.

If he manifests, my party has one chance to set off a fantasy nuke to destroy it (as well as the most populous city on the continent).

Speaking of, how do you all deal with it when players get themselves in too deep?

let the TPK happen? Give them some Deus ex Machina?

How does the party keep him from manifesting?
and do they know this entity is trying this?

Let the TPK happen.

If they come up with a ridiculous, never going to work, over the top, action movie style plan for escape or victory, I let them try it and give them a little bonus to everything without telling them because I love big damn heroes.

I sit down and analyze the situation thoroughly. Did they really get themselves in too deep? Or did I get them there, by giving them incomplete information and misleading expectations?
See, that's the problem with DMing. When you are the only source of information for your players, and your only mouthpieces to deliver said information are pretty low-powered people, you get situations like this.
>Do not go into that forest! It's a dangerous place, and none of the villagers who went there ever returned.
>Yeah, well, we're not villagers. We're adventurers. Facing dangerous things is our job.
>OH MY GOD, I LITERALLY TOLD YOU THAT YOU WILL ALL BE KILLED, HOW COULD YOU NOT GET IT

What are the best feats for (Lore) Wizard?

Any well balanced weapon/equipment supplement for 5e?

Skill focus (killing yourself)

+2 int

Mobile so they're faster, tough for more HP

Isn't that Pathfinder art? 5e monsters aren't allowed to look that cool.

A cult worshiping GOOBBEG is collecting magical artifacts to summon it. The party has been interfering and graduating picking up clues as to the true intent of the cult

Yes, and yes, sadly

Eh, why?

Gradually*

There's no "wind" in the Five Stages.

U arent a real nerd unless youre in both, honestly

Have you been lifting from OotA? If not, I recommend it

I have not. It started as "What odd monster can I throw at the party? Gibbering mouther! But why is it here? Because a cult is cultivating them. For what? Well, they're going to serve as the blood/life force for some abomination"

And BOOM, a campaign that started with no direction gradually forms a goal.

You have no idea if it exceeds cleric. We haven’t seen the last version.

UA is up, nerds

>tfw no replies

are these guns okay? i changed them around a bit from the gunslinger class that's going around so they fit my game a bit more but i'm not sure if they're under or overpowered or if they're okay like this

Here's what I've been using in a Western setting I've been running for ages. Wanted to keep them in-line with current ranged weapons with some variation.

>guns

>guns are almost all the same or lower damage than a heavy crossbow
>except the rifle which is the best thing ever that does fucking 3d6 damage and has fantastical range and blows everything else out of the fucking water
either make guns better or just refluff them as bows

>getting shot with a pistol is worse than getting shot with a 100 lb draw bow
ok

Any?

>le no guns aloud
how are you enjoying that full plate

>Hand Canon - 20ft/60 range, 2d6, takes an action to reload, ignores light or medium armor, nobody is proficient ever

>Blunderbuss - 30ft cone, 3d6 dex 15 half, takes an action to reload, ignores light or medium armor, targets within 5 feet that fail save are knocked prone, nobody is proficient ever

>rifles
lolno

Just woke up, no UA yet?

Sorry, I'm putting my hands over the ears and refusing to fact that historically full plate only become commonplace in the era of early firearms. Despite the fact that things like munition armor and the like were being developing in a war of technology that led to increasing developments in both the durability and protection of armor and the power and range of firearms. So yeah, despite the fact that full plate only really existed during the age of pike and shot, I just forbid the existence of firearms.

haha noguns

Unless you have several loaded weapons, fire one and throw one away each round, there is little point to a one-handed ranged weapon as you can't really do much with your other hand anyway.

Just a note.

well, you can dual wield them, or you could cast spells

WesternAnon here. And not really. First, it's shitton less conspicuous in-setting to just walk around with a holstered pistol than it is to carry around a carbine or a shotgun when you're headed to get a drink or meeting a stranger for information. There's also magic, items, and more that you can use that other hand for. Oh, and a homebrewed buff to the Dueling fighting style that applies it to firearms as well as melee weapons.

My life is falling apart and I'm using D&D as escapism to cope. Send help

My ancients Paladin just hit level 8. Should I go mounted combatant, bump my charisma to 18, or bump dex and con to 16?

Stats
>20 str
>15 dex
>15 con
>10 int
>14 wis
>16 cha
>inb4 lol rolled stats

Our campaign heavily features mounted combat, and I think I'm good on saves since I already take half damage and have advantage vs magic saves (scaling holy avenger)