MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Eternal Weekend Prep Edition

NA Eternal Weekend is less than two weeks away. How do you prepare for tournaments?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database
pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Other urls found in this thread:

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/166160319923/about-the-possible-upcoming-change-to-the
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/166164505883/why-am-i-finding-out-about-the-planeswalker
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Best budget deck to play legacy-only high power cards? I want to play UB(x?) so I figure UB Delver is best starting point. I'm open to other deck or specific card recommendations

I think UB deaths shadow is a fantastic budget starting point for people who like Delver style decks. It actually wants to play shocklands

Start with UR delver and you have most of the cards for grixis when you're ready to upgrade. Price of progress is really good right now.

Played some more Canadian Highlander online tonight, won my first match 2-0.
Game one on the draw, opponent goes Island Ponder and pass. I kept a hand with Goblin Welder, Chrome Mox, Expedition Map and some lands, notably Academy Ruins and Strip Mine. Stripped away his Island, exiled Welder to Mox and cast Map. He goes Breeding Pool pass, I play a fetch and say go, looking to crack Map for Wasteland eot. Grab Wasteland and hit him, he doesn't draw any more blue sources until I already have a Tezz AoB and 3 5/5's beating face.
Game 2 I've got City of Traitors and Crucible with an Izzet Signet to power out the Crucible turn 2. My Crucible ends up eating a counterspell but I draw Mox Opal and play Mox and Silas Renn on turn 3. Much to my dismay Silas gets Vapor Snagged and the Mox gets Repealed, opponent taps out for JTMS. I draw Artificer's Intuition and play Tezzeret the Seeker, decide that if I grab Painters Servant I can still get Grindstone with Artificer's even if Tezz dies, so I go for it. Opponent didn't have an answer to Tezz and I grabbed Grindstone and killed him.
I never really thought about how easy it was to grab both halves of the combo with big Tezz, another sweet line of play though.

the thread has been infiltrated, abandon all posts

UR delver is in no way a budget list. Volcanics, FoWs, Fetches and Snapcaster are all pretty damn expensive. Even UB death's shadow what user suggested is pretty damn expensive, if it plays Lilianas for example, but even then it's probably going to be at least over 600$ with FoWs along with rest of average priced cards.

Isnt dredge/burn/bg depths the cheap ones?

I play combo so I guess it would be ok to save on manabase by buying shocks instead of original duals?

Could a goblin welder reanimator be fun?

Maybe. Duals will always be better, and if your combo involves drawing cards with grizelbrand or frequently reesolving ad nauseam then shocklamds may suck. But it's worth a try.

I assumed he was starting off online.

>fun
Yes
>good
Probably not

Mono b rack pox is pretty cheap too if you don't play lili/chains/etc

As a UR shitwelder I can confirm. You can combo and grind value with welders if game goes long but when you dont get a decent hand it hurts.
And you "other copies" for welding are Trash for treasure and OG Daretti so it is quite painful.

I want to play red but not burn. Gamble is one of my favorite cards. Is there a deck for this purpose or do I have to start brewing something myself?

There's mono red stompy, painter, and mono red meme storm

ruby storm is probably the only mono red deck that runs gamble

best gamble deck is definitely lands, but its pretty expensive and also not mono red

>budget deck to play legacy
Get real. And I don't want to be mean at all : burn and dredge are bad in a large meta.
Modern, standard and limited are great format. If you like playing magic without spending tons of money, why not playing those formats ?

You can build BG Depths for less than the cost of many modern decks. You can build a budget rack pox deck for like 200. There are plenty of ways to build on a budget. You can upgrade decks over time. It's retarded to discourage people from playing a format that needs new blood.

>autumnthunder17 asked: About the possible upcoming change to the planeswalker redirection rule, why now?

>If we think a change is warranted sooner is better than later.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/166160319923/about-the-possible-upcoming-change-to-the

>mrmoustachemm asked: Why am I finding out about the planeswalker redirection rule change here and not on the official site? Something this huge should have been announced in an article on your website.

>It hasn’t actually happened yet. It got “leaked” ahead of time because Magic The Gathering Arena cards had the new template.When the rule is actually changing, we will have a full article detailing everything.

markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/166164505883/why-am-i-finding-out-about-the-planeswalker

Planeswalker damage redirection rule change is coming, so do you think its going to affect legacy ssomehow?

Doubtful. Seems like it's not really a functional change. Bolt will get errata to say "deals 3 to a creature player or planeswalker". Something like that. Doesn't really change much at a high level.

I want to play U/W birds because birds are awesome. Does anyone have any lists?

>Bolt will get errata to say "deals 3 to a creature player or planeswalker".

>tfw you're too smart to write that

>any target
Thats some early magic shit.

Well, I just wonder how they're going to errata cards like Earthquake, Hurricane, and Flame Rift.

I figured they'd write it out explicitly to avoid confusing new players. They might think you could damage an artifact or something.

>Any target
>Except lands
>And Enchantments
>And Artifacts
>And Spells

Maybe like "~ deals x dmage to each creature. ~ also deals x damage to each player or a planeswalker they control."

Any storm aficionados trying sideboard Deathrite Shaman? What's it been replacing, and how has it worked?

You know I actually saw this idea first in a doomsday list. I tried them mainboard in a Grindy doomsday list right after the top ban. I didn't like them. Just don't see the point. You have better t1 plays in a storm deck. When storm starts to serioisly play DRS You know the cards a problem.

I mean, I've been playing for 20 years and my first thought with "To any target" was "Okay, so I guess you could cast it on an artifact for grins?". My second one was thinking about whether that'd allow you to hit Mutavaults and the like in response to the animation activation so they'd die before your opponent could buff them, because they'd have 3 damage marked on them as soon as they became a creature.

Don't use the words "any target" in the interest of 'intuitive gameplay' when it doesn't actually fucking mean 'any target'.

Really makes me wonder who's in charge of this thing.

I feel like a lot of these changes (especially this one) have absolutely nothing to do with paper magic, and everything to do with "This was too hard to program into Arena, so we're changing the rules for paper magic to something that's easier to program for Arena."

It's funny how "3 damage to any target" brings Lightning Bolt pretty close to how it was printed before 4th edition, way back when it said "3 damage to one target".

The wording of "to any target" is awkward if there are in fact implicit illegal targets. I honestly think Forsythe is the bane of R&D.

>Any target
>Except lands
>And Enchantments
>And Artifacts
>And Spells

This is the exact reason for the original change. It's like they don't even attempt to learn from their mistakes.

What did you expect though?

Do you get tilted when your opponents take forever to see obvious lines that (more or less) win on the spot? Eg. aggro loam player with 6 cards in the bin thinks for like 5 minutes before tutoring a Cabal Pit with KOTR to kill a Prelate set on 2 with a Punishing Fire in hand to kill a summoning sick Mother of Runes, while having 2 Bobs.

How inconsiderate of you! Did you ever stopped to think that he might just have brain damage?

Well he plays Chalice so it's a possibility.

Is vraska's contempt playable in your shitty format? How about modern? I'm just trying to figure out why the price is going so high and how long before it goes back down.

No, its too slow.

It’s only high due to it being the only way standard has to deal with the scarab god (which is stupid high due to EDH AND Standard). Legacy has better exiling removal for creatures.

Thanks. It has gone up 50% in the last 24 hours up to 12$. I think if I wait another few days it will go down a bit.

Just wait for wizards to panic-ban the scarab god, it’ll crash to a dollar or less rare.

I don't think that they will. He is not really playable in either ramunap red or temur energy, nor he's such a big guy by himself.

What you are describing is literally the most expensive way to play Legacy.

Best power = expensive
Best power = blue and black = expensive
Best power = multi-color = expensive

If you consider it "power", I would actually go the opposite direction and invest in Chalices and go Stompy/Prison builds. They're much cheaper and can be mono-color, the artifact/prison core is identical to every build much like the U/B power cores are, and they are powerful enough to be the yin to U and power card's yang.

None of those things have toughness to target with the 3 damage.

I mean, if you're gonna be that faggy, then they should just allow that to be a legal target, and your spell just fucking fizzles and deals 0 damage.

Scarab has become a staple in a lot of Temur lists for the last month or two, actually.

When are next bans?

I'm going to a ppqt on 22nd are bans before that?

Just ordered 10 Sliver Premium Deck plains, did I fuck up?

Apart from the Temur list that crushed Worlds, wiping away a field full of Scarab Gods.

So why did Mox Diamond spike? More "Investors"?

see

Parfait memes

glad I just copped a playset two weeks ago, now I feel like a Veeky Forumsraeli

I have 4 Mox Diamond but I've seen people saying 4 Lotus Petal are better for Thalia Stompy. Do you guys agree? I like Mox Diamond's artwork better but Lotus Petal has more nostalgia and if it's better, then it's better. It certainly feels more Stompy.

Mox Diamond is amazing and I can't believe I didn't buy any sooner, glad I got in when I did. I don't like petals in non-storm decks because they feel like a waste if they are answered.

I'm generally not a fan of Lotus Petal in stompy builds outside of Big Red/Bomberman Stompy. In non combo stompy builds your looking for consistent acceleration like Mox Diamond and Chrome Mox to both accelerate your Chalice/3ball/Blood Moon/Thalia/etc. and then stay above curve. Petals in those builds just make running into permission feel really bad when you get 2 for 1'd when you could have traded 1 for 1 and had an extra mana source to power out something well above curve next turn. I've got a feeling the lists running Lotus Petals over Mox Diamonds in a deck that traditionally runs 24+ lands are doing so as a budget consideration now that 4x Diamond will run you ~$600 for MP.

Just fucking buy Chinamen fakes. How is this even a question?

oh boy, here we go

Top tier shitpost my dude.

What did he mean by this?

I wasn't referring to the best possible cards, when I said high power I mainly meant in relation to other formats. For example, brainstorm and hymn are both great cards at around $1. I don't care about being the most competitive deck in the legacy meta, I just want to play with these cards

2 Forgotten Cave
16 Mountain
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Black Vise
4 Lava Spike
4 Flame Rift
4 Magma Jet
4 Rift Bolt
2 Thunderous Wrath
4 Fireblast
4 winter orb
4 Firebrand Archer

3 Flaring Pain
4 Smash to Smithereens

Rate my hyper budget burn deck.

winter orb + black vise doesn't make a lot of sense t b h

There is a ton of good cheap cards that are powerful. What's unfortunate is that WotC keeps printing certain cards thousand times and other cards once in a century. Even then just as mythic rares to keep artifical scarcity.

The problem is that you would have to run multiple colors to gather best cheap cards from different colors = expensive
Or play monocolor, but then you have to run good expensive cards in that color to make it viable. Unless you find a good uncharted gameplan people haven't thought or at least tried out in competitive meta, which is your best bet, but it takes fuckton of time with very possibly zero results.

Bad. You got enough cheap good cards for burn in legacy that you can't even run them all in single deck. Eidolon is the most expensive card that is a must in legacy, you can even skimp on goblins even though they are the truck. But could argue that monastery might be better in legacy compared to goblins.

Seems to me that burn can rely on almost no lands and work fine, while most decks choke if they can't hand dump. Black Vise is somewhere between lightning bolt and rift bolt.

I'm just saying they work against eachother since winters orb is going to fill the enemy hand and instead of recurring damage from vise, you should go with monastery mentor or budget haste/evasion dudes

It's cause burn is really just a combo deck that needs to resolve like 4-6 spells to win, and they're all 1CC, 2 at the most, and sometimes free.

Black vise is trash. You have to think how realistically it's going to make even 1 damage on payoff of 1cmc and when most of your matches are race against decks that are off to kill you on turn 2, it does absolutely nothing most of the time. Black vise is somewhere between playing island in burn and burst lightning.

>island in burn and burst lightning
>he doesn't know about my mirror-match BEB counter-tech
>burst lightning isn't a superior shock

Get a load of this badie.

> made parfait
> it's shit

I'm bad at this game

Sometimes I paste top decklists into a site that lets you solitaire and get the absolute worst hands and draws over and over. It makes me wonder if the algorithm is off or if pro players just stack their decks.

Probably why U is so common.

> It makes me wonder if the algorithm is off or if pro players just stack their decks.

I know exactly what you mean.

>probably why U is so common
Yes
>the algorithm is off
Also likely yes.

Why doesn't wizards add somethjng akin to hearthstone in mtgo where you can destroy bulk cards for a random shot at new rares or something similar?
Any rare you pull > 4 is wasted.

Because Heartstone philosophy of having every single card random bullshit is bad game design and it would be in everyone's best interest that cancer doesn't spread too much here. Hymn is already bad enough.

Just trade them. If you really like the random aspect of it, trade them and buy shitty treasure chests.

Depends on what you're playing. In something that's all in, like Belcher, it doesn't matter if you have a shockland or dual, where as shocklands would be hurtful in something like ANT.

In fact, a Russian foil stomping ground is actually superior to a taiga in belcher.

Upboated

Parfait is definitely one of those decks that really needs to be tuned to the expected meta. My first week testing was super rough with UW Parfait because I needed to figure out my silver bullet mix and my manabase configuration.

>Eidolon is the most expensive card that is a must in legacy, you can even skimp on goblins even though they are the truck.
Are you shitting me? Goblin Guides are 100% necessary. There's no other creature that comes close to it.

>Black Vise
>Winter Orb
What the fuck man. Burn rule #1: if it doesn't deal (consistent) damage, it doesn't belong in Burn.

I'd say bump the land count to 20 mountains (drop the forgotten caves), drop the 2 Thunderous Wrath, drop the Orbs and Vises, add 4 Monastery Swiftspears and 4 Searing Blood.

Monastery swiftspear is sometimes favored over goblin guide. I'm saying goblin guide is really, really good card, but it's not absolutely must against any matchups as burn compared to eidolon against most stormlike combos.

Or why do you think UR delver plays Swiftspear and storm mage(?) over goblin guide?

i also think burn deosn't really need bolt and spike, otherwise, why wouldn't UR delver play it?

You are a fucking retard though, you know that?

UR Delver has counters to protect their creatures, so they can safely setup big swings.
Burn doesn't, which makes the 2 guaranteed damage from Goblin more valuable than Swiftspear's potential >1 damage.

McFucking Kill Yourself

boy what

It's not bad game from, it's good micro transaction design, which blizzard is king at

That's why the game makes so much dosh

Nice blog there mate but where do I upvote it ? Eagerly waiting for the patreon!

I'm not saying at any point the swiftspear is the better card in burn and I'm fully aware why it is the choice of aggro creature in UR delver, what I'm saying is that they fill the exact same spot in burn. They both have their up and downsides and on the average are about the same in burn shell. But you are still going to be on the turn 3 clock with all burn spells and fireblast (what he should be running, but that fucking list is bad even on turbobudget) and only biggest threat is the combo decks what eidolon and pyrostatic pillar are for(also what he should have in the sideboard).