What melee fighting styles would you have in a Post-Apo aetting...

What melee fighting styles would you have in a Post-Apo aetting, other than 'throwing a dynamite around' (As long as it worksTM) or just baseball-batting people with a crowbar?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juego_de_manĂ­
youtube.com/watch?v=oaPP00uNkNI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Car door hoplite.

Car doors arent shit you can punch a hole in some of the new ones with a somewhat pointed piece of wood I would kill your faggot ass in a heartbeat

Congrats, you fucking methed-up samurai, you can punch a hole through a fiberglass door. You know there are car doors that would actually survive an apocalypse, right?

>Dynamite Monk
>Car-Door Hoplite
>Meth Samurai

What are some other post apoc classes?

If you're going Mad Maxish there could be Cannibal Gimp, Black Thumb, and Chrome Berserker classes.

>Gunpowder Supremacist: Individual who believes in the inherent superiority of gunpowder weapons to an extreme. Will never use anything but a firearm - even a terrible one - unless they have no other choice. Often run into serious trouble when they run out of ammunition, and have virtually no close combat skills whatsoever.

>Backwoods Brawler: Uses anything and everything as a weapon, and believes violence solves any and every problem. Ain't too keen on book-learnin' though.

>Muscle Wizard: Mechanic who can keep and maintain machinery to a reasonable degree. So named because of the overwhelming preference for their machinery to be roided-up muscle cars.

>Steel Horseman: Pseudo-Knight who rides a motorcycle. Follows a strict code of honor and ethics - that usually don't mesh with anybody elses code of honor and ethics.

>Dirty Doc: Medical "professional" who slings narcotics as often as they perform treatments - and the two are often one and the same.

>Noble Savage: Individual who only uses weapons, gear, and tools they personally know how to repair and maintain, usually limiting them to bows, simple firearms, and melee weapons, as well as simple yet robust equipment. While they are often more well-equipped and skilled than other classes at survival and self-reliance, they are thoroughly convinced that their "ascetic" way of life is superior to any other, and often do not get along with others who don't share their worldview.

>Urban Cowboy: Quick-witted gunslinger and knife-fighter who clings to the old traditions as best he can - regardless of whether they were real or not. Rhinestones not included.

Road Warrior had these dudes with pikes who threw grappling hooks at vehicles.
RW in general is a good source of inspiration if you want some post-apocalyptic mooks with a bunch of different weapons.

A very loose style all about wailing your arms about, jumping around, and shouting to fake them out. Then getting your buddy to smack them upside the head with a baseball bat.

>Sling snatchers: city dwelling raider gang that use bungie cords to jump from their nests on top of skyscrapers. Some use long range sniper rifles to ambush unexpecting city scavengers, jumping down to grab their bodies afterwards. Some especially crazed warbands have been known to jump down with long barbed pikes, taking live scavengers up with them. No one truly knows what the Sling Snatchers do with the bodies.

you could do the same to the hide and wicker shields people actually used in history.
A shield doesn't need to be indestructible to be useful.

>meth samurai
I'm fucking done. My side's are gone.

>methed-up samurai
Is that a Tumblr reference?

I like these. Do you have more? I'd like to use them as character concepts.

>Hook boys: Rival gang to the Sling Snatchers. attempt to intentionally bait sling snatchers. Once a Snatcher is baited, Hook boys use hooked spears rigged with timed explosives to try to impale the snatcher, sending the bomb up to try and knock the snatcher's nest down. Hook boys patrol the outskirts of large cities, offering protection to survivors trying to traverse the city streets safely.

>crowbar master race

>What melee fighting styles would you have in a Post-Apo aetting

krav MAGA

drumpfu

GOPoeira

>what melee fighting styles would you have in a post-apoc setting?

Brawling.

in general you can expect historical styles to be reinvented, bur as a bit of a mish mash of regional styles.

Theres only so many ways to efficiently attack with a given weapon and people will figure them out by trial an error. Post apoc warriors that fight with a sword will end up using moves that could have been straight lifted from kendo and the Kunst des Fechtens

I've seen it happen with the local larp guys.

Holy Shiz! That's awesome. I'm flat out stealing this concept for using in my game of Mutant: Year Zero. I've got a section of the map called "The Tall Tombs" because the city and most of the lower levels of the sky scrapers are loaded with desiccated corpses. But up at the top of a one area are a band of humans survive in their 'sky fortress'. The sewers and steam tunnels / subway system are over-run with monsters. So the humans only come down to scavenge and get water during the day, and quickly climb back to the heights where the lock down everything and hope the truly horrific shit isn't willing or able to climb all the way to the upper stories. It's worked - so far...

>Blast Pike: Pic related but on the end of a long polearm. Jamming the end of the pipe into an enemy can potentially blast them in half depending on the gauge of shotgun shell used. Often used with a large shield in a fighting style somewhere between a hoplite and a fencer. While devastating, the blast pike has only one use, needing to be reloaded after each thunderous jab. Two dueling blast hoplites would circle each other carefully, trying to break each other's composure and concentration to make the other guy use his blast first, hiding behind their shields.

>A group of Blast Pikemen with interlocked shields are a force to be reckoned on the battlefield. Rear blast pikemen ranks pass forward freshly reloaded Blast Pikes while the front rank tears the enemy apart with deafening jabs.

Please do! I haven't been able to play any Veeky Forums type games for a long time since I moved away from my home town. so to think one of my ideas is at least getting used in someone's game makes me happy.

You could still mount a blade or hook back behind the slamgun and still have a serviceable pole-arm.

Sorry to hear you haven't gotten to game in a while. But the 'Sling Snatchers' idea and name will work very well in my campaign. I appreciate it.

Here's to hoping you get some good gaming in again one of these 'light-years'.

>ctril f "Hokuto no Shinken"
>No results

Assuming you've got some vehicle, ramming. I could imagine a motorcycle gang with Mad-Max style bikes having spikes in front.

>Shock Jockey: survivors using this fighting style must completely rely on their ability to enrage their opponents. Shock Jockey's wear heavy winter coats with charged copper wire weaved through them. Due to limited battery life, Shock Jockeys can only run a charge through the wire for a limited amount of time, activating them by handheld remotes. To effectively dispatch opponents, Shock Jockeys must bait their enemy into striking them in close quarters combat. Shock Jockeys are well versed in infuriating insults, racial slurs and derogatory statements. Shock Jockeys will use their wide knowledge of insults to enrage their opponents, luring them into hitting the electrical wire, delivering a fatal shock.The Shock Jockey must predict when their opponent will strike them precisely. Activating the charge too early will drain the battery and leave the Shock Jockey defenseless. Activating too late can lead to injury or death at the hands of their opponent. While Shock Jockey's may appear simpleminded and crude initially, to truly master the art of being a Shock Jockey, one must be a master of reading the emotions of others. The training required to become a Shock Jockey is more similar to Psychology than any form of fighting style.

Into the Badlands style super Kung fu

>Be Blast Pike Hoplite in wasteland
>Other faggot Blast Pikeman wants to duel me
>He doesn't know I have pic related in my pike instead of a shotgun shell
>Giggle as he puts up his shield, thinking I'm some kind of shotgun shell pleb.
>Blast clean through his shield and his armor, loot his shit and leave.
Sounds comfy.

>Shock Jockey is basically just a mage but instead of being good at magic, he is just a huge asshole

Use smoke grenades to close the distance.

for a motorbike you'll want a lance rather than attaching spikes directly, youll risk crashing and screwing up your bike to much to be worth spikes on the front.

What if you have two bikes with some razor wire connecting them at about shoulder level. Ride around the countryside beheading people

Don't get touched-fu.
With disease/infections abound and lack of access to good medical treatment, melee combat primarily centers around not getting hurt and not letting the enemy get near you.

>What melee fighting styles would you have in a Post-Apo aetting
All of it? Given that industry collapses and the guns that do exist will decay if they don't run out of ammunition first, sooner or later melee combat will become the norm. I can see swords and spears making a comeback here.

Or do you mean the kind of "post-apocalyptic" setting where the entire planet is a desert, everyone dresses like rockstar fashion disasters and there's somehow no shortage of gasoline nor guns and bullets? In that case the answer is "whatever's cool".

Punch thru? Very few people can do that to a car door.

Stab thru? With a point metal object it would be easy.

Short pole weapons would be the most common type of weapon.

this. spears especially. they're relatively easy to build as well has having use as a hunting tool and walking stick.
axes will be popular as well for similar reasons.

yes and? a shield that weapons can get stuck in is actually useful.
You're not going to puncture through enough to cause injury to the user, the arm hoolding the shield can be further protected by an extra strip of metal or wood if it really bothers you.

ok blastpikes sound seriously cool and are definitely stolen.

time for /k/ to make it's usual AKCHTUALLY rounds

or was that your intention all along

Already a thing in the newest mad max, albiet in that the thunder spears are literally RPG shells on the end of spears

>Springbowmen: using Salvaged leaf springs from cars and trucks these survivors fasion them into heavy-weight crossbows. The rate of fire leaves something to be desired but they can punch a steel headed bolt through a man and his armour at 200 paces in near complete silence. Practiced marksmen who study camouflage and stealth make for terrifying snipers and efficient hunters.

>expecting fallout 4&frfags to know about the quintessential post-apocalyptic series

Truck pileups are also sniper nests?

I took inspiration from mad max but decided to edit them to be shotgun shells instead of landmines because explosive spears would probably kill you and your opponent. Honestly I just got the idea from browsing /k/ you don't have to believe me though.

nah its good
its both a functional and cool idea.

yes, if you come across a group of vehicles in an open area and spot skeletons on the ground. start running immediately, though it may already be to late.

I was going to post this, good job user.
Also, beginning of series 1 has a plethora of punks fighting in melee with no special powers (the original "throw dynamite-fu" comes from this).

Not to be an autist, but nothing about a crossbow like that would be silent, it'd probably be pretty loud and distinctive

a decently made crossbow is pretty quite. certainly quite enough that a target at range won't hear anything.

>or just baseball-batting people with a crowbar

How about baseball-batting people with a baseball bat

>a cheesy 80s anime is the quintessential post-apocalyptic series

Come on man. You could give them guff for not having seen the old school Road Warrior films, but this is a stretch.

I'd wager slave societies would be a pretty common thing (much as they were in the ancient or classical world), so I could see styles like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juego_de_manĂ­ cropping up.

It's true, there are actually such things as string silencers that help dampen the noise, but a crossbow made of scrap steel would be pretty fucking loud.

well yeah if you just cobble tegether some sure. That's why I specified decently made.
Spring steel was used pretty often for crossbow arms.

An electro-mage (less shitty name pending). Has an electric whip/Razer device of his own creation with a car battery/homemade battery pack on his back. Give him a bucket of water for AoE stuns maybe. Probably a cc based class.

Voltergeist?

Roving gangs of bike lancers

>by your powers combined i am.
Blast-lance bikers ridding in to wreck someone with a pointblank shotgun shell before riding off to reload.

Whenever post-apoc setting aesthetics are brought up, people always go straight to Mad Max, not that I don't love Mad Max's aesthetic, but I wanna change things up, I wanna see rust and scrap knights instead of rocker boys

From the charred remains of the old world, the fallout kingdoms shall rise, to conquer the blighted land that once was home.

I like this idea, seeing as for some folk horses would become main form of faster transport I could see this working.

>humans will be incapable of manufacturing guns and ammunition because large scale mass production has ceased

so stuff like this?

AKSHUALLY!
Just make a potato gun. Even if you lack the brains to make black powder, you should know that grain alcohol goes blammo. It wou,don't be too dificult to make a pseudo blow gun to fire nails using a small alcohol explosion.

Gun Kata

Yeah, which is why it took us thousands of years to get the production of even flintlock rifles right. Post-apocalyptic means "go back to square 1, do not pass go" with maybe some relics of the past. Not "you're dumped in the desert with a pick-up truck full of machine guns and ammo".

Humans that survive a Apocalyptic event aren't going to turn into cavemen. Realistically, the only people with a good chance of surivival are the elite and intelligent, and will probably cause humanity to get back on track within a few hundred years maximum. I'm sorry shitty video games and anime taught you otherwise.
If even 1 firearm survives, that's more than enough for even a moron to reverse-engineer.

>If even 1 firearm survives, that's more than enough for even a moron to reverse-engineer factories that can make small and complex moving parts, the exact process for making smokeless gunpowder, the knowledge of what elements are neccessary for the production of ammunition and the infrastructure to extract and transport said elements
Nigga, at least go with something like "books survive" or something.

To be fair, the idiots over in the Khyber Pass made some pretty serviceable weapons.
But they certainly didn't make modern ammunition.

The biggest problems with post-apocalyptic firearms isn't the firearms themselves.

It's manufacturing ammo. Unless you're using something like .22LR or 9mm, you'll struggle to find a decent source of ammunition.

>Yeah, which is why it took us thousands of years to get the production of even flintlock rifles right. Post-apocalyptic means "go back to square 1, do not pass go" with maybe some relics of the past. Not "you're dumped in the desert with a pick-up truck full of machine guns and ammo".

Nah. You're looking at it from the wrong end.

It took us thousands of years for the concept of "gundpowder in tube" to naturally iterate and progress from bamboo fireworks to the flintlock, that doesn't mean understanding of the concept or all metalworking ever just goes poof the minute the cities starve. You don't magically forget how germs work because the existing infrastructure for dealing with them fell apart, and soap making is a well documented process on which there are several different copies of information in every library that ever existed.

As long as your method of apocalypse doesn't completely wipe out every town ever, you've just checked civilization's progress.

There are gonna be dozens, hundreds of little agricultural communities that have the gear to keep up their farming, the knowledge in their high school libraries to use their existing tools to build up an 18th or 19th century techbase before they fail and run out, and the distance from major population centers to avoid largely unscathed whatever brought about the end times.

On top of that, there's gonna be tons of scrap metal laying around in the form of vehicle and all that industrial gear they can't power anymore to work - and can't just take and use as is, like being able to use hydraulic piping off of backhoes for cannon barrel. Don't have to dig up and refine your own ore, just set about stripmining the roadways. And, if you can get caravans out there, the nearest cities.

If you want things to be super shitty go back to caveman 5ever levels of dumb, you go right ahead and build some absurd ridiculous hyerpotent doom into your setting. But don't pretend it's at all realistic.

Hundreds of years. Meant to say hundreds. A thousand at best.

And to answer that one - yes. There are absurd, ridiculous stockpiles of ammo hidden away in most of the civilized world - in the former soviet bloc they're still finding lost bunkers full of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r, and in the continental US there are similar absolutely absurd, ridiculous stockpiles of 5.56x45 and 7.62x51mm kicking around. If you're not sitting on top of one of those, though, or you don't have the lube and other consumable items necessary to keep your guns running, you're SOL.

You can do lead ball and okayish blackpowder with relative ease, so you're gonna see a resurgence of muzzleloaders and possibly cap and ball revolvers.

Brass is the first real barrier that you CAN'T do in your back yard to the precision necessary, and is probably going to be one of the first real industries that gets started back up.

>First ten posts mention dynamite monks

Dumbass

>In order to make rudimentary firearms and ammunition you NEED large scale factories for mass production
By your dumbass logic we'd forget how to make swords too

Mall Ninjas - Armed with a secret manual of lethal techniques from before the fall, the mall-ninjas preserve the tranquil sanctity of the place known as the MALL, a former temple to the god Kaptleesma

Sounds more like the name of a notorious character of that class than a class name itself but I love it. Definitely calling my next electricity based character that now.

Batery Slinger- Tears of the aluminium casing off old triple A batteries and hits you with the burning shard of lithium

blow darts

Blu-ray/Dvd/Cd/Hard-drive catapults. Without useable computers they just become disposable sharp/heavy forms of ammunition.

>The warriors of MALL make use of strange, elaborate weapons, each one mastered to lethal perfection over decades of training in their hallowed halls.
>To join their ranks, an aspiring Mall Ninja must begin training in the 36 Chambers, a hierarchy of Kaptleesman combat disciplines that must be mastered in order.
>The difficulty of the first chamber turns away most aspirants, and every chamber is more difficult than the one preceding it.
>Only the grandmaster of the Mall Ninjas, Rezurector, is rumored to have mastered the 36 Chambers, allowing him to fight blindfolded, heal the sick, and fly.

The "ambush", the "hide", or the "runaway" fighting styles. Anything else leaves you at risk of injury, which can be fatal in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

Anyone has those images of fantasy classes reimagined as post-apoc?

I like this idea.

>36 Chambers
I understood that reference.

Where is this?

>risking debilitating injuring in an apocalyptic setting with little to no chance of recovery.

>No ammo for firearms after the apocalypse
This is one of the reasons why I love Degenesis. Okay, from a /k/ perspectie their view on guns is pretty fucking flawed, but they did think about it and designed their world in a way they thought of as appropriate.

bearing this in mind and applying it to
i give you the crazy 8. a cylinder of metal under the crossbar of a boar spear containing 8 .22 cal bullets. if something hits the crossbar with enogh force it'll drive the cylinder back and rim fire the .22s into the target. going with the lazgun's "shitload of diddly" principle using the most plentiful type of ammo around. reloading is a bit of a pain unless you have other cylinders to swap out but it fits shorts, long rifle and magnum .22. some particularly clever wastelanders have incorporated a revolver style action into it, only firing two champers per strike and rotating them to avoid putting all their eggs in one basket. the general idea caught on and savvy wastelanders started making their own for just about every caliber out there, mostly using old revolver chambers and slam fire striking mechanisms.

Buddy Holly with a Katana and Guitar.

youtube.com/watch?v=oaPP00uNkNI

Hell, a Six String Samurai setting would be bomb as fuck.

Let's get some good old fashioned chariots up in this business.

Not much of an artist, so excuse the shitty shop, but what about a Riot Shield with a Chainsaw put through it?

In what regard I'm kinda curious here.

chainsaws aren't actually that god for killing people.
you need the person to be pretty much already incapacitated to do any real damage.

I was actually of the opposite opinion that brass isn't hard to come by but making effective primers to actually use a lot of modern firearms would be a task that would require some degree of centralization and organization if for no other reason than the skills and materials to make cap and primers would be hard to come by. You can't reload modern rounds without them, so unless a bunch of people figure out how to make and distribute caps you will eventually run out of ammunition and be forced to use muzzleloaders again.

Manufacturing a gun won't be a problem in 99% of post-apoc situations. The major problem you're going to run in to is manufacturing RELIABLE, HIGH-QUALITY guns in a post-apoc setting. Rifling a weapon will also be a bitch and a half (though still doable) without specialized tools.

In addition, while ammo will be plentiful, ammo quality will be reduced because of lack of controls and poorer-quality materials, so guns, while possibly well-supplied, will become less reliable than they are today.

What would almost certainly happen is a major and almost immediate shift to simpler, more reliable mechanical designs (revolver, bolt-, pump-, and lever-action weapons) that have slower rate of fire, but are significantly more reliable in combat and less likely to jam or fail at a critical moment, with a melee weapon as a backup that the individual is comfortable wielding. Automatic weapons will still exist, but won't be reliable, and as such won't be fielded by any but the desperate or the extremely well-supplied/high quality forces, and even then only as specialists. Things like vehicles will also still be around, but will most likely be dealt with by other vehicles or explosive weapons. Reliable warhorses like the M3 aren't going anywhere either, but those are not man-portable and have very heavy ammo in any meaningful amount, and as such will be stuck on vehicles, emplacements, or in specialist squads as a crew-served weapon.

Basically it'd be the Wild West plus a little bit of WWI all over again, but with random warlords having things like tanks every now and again, but never in any meaningful amount to actually change the rules of the game.