EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Blowing Up Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Favorite suicide, "Suicide" or generally self-destructivley spiteful effect? Hardmode: No Doomsday or Necropotence.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kruphix-god-of-x-cost-spells/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esp-st/?cat=price&sort=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Favorite suicide?
Casting a Time Warp effect off the top of my library with Melek while I'm at 3 life with a Mana Crypt on board.

>thread question
pic related

>Blaxos enchantments
>get pic off on end step of player before me
>nobody ever expects the Kaervek's Spite

slaughter games
nothing like putting the game on a fast clock without directly just ending the game out of nowhere

Think you meant Havoc Festival user.

>Thread Question
Uba Mask really tilts some players. It's fun in my mono red deck where I'm fine playing anything that pops into my hand.

Interesting combo. I pair my Glory with Decree of Annihilation. Secret tech: the cycling ability on the Decree is actually the better half of the card.

fug I cant belive I fucked that up

slaughter games is fun in modern tho

... That is beautiful. Pretty much only stopped by Forbidden Orchard of common to see effects.

>make decks better, but not by a lot
>stomp the shit out of everyone first night I use them
>get laser-focused ever since

here

The other version is for Mardu colors, and involves Near-Death Experience instead.
Though this one is vulnerable to pinging.

glorifier of dusk works well with near death, and that new switch life totals card

>Thread Question: Favorite suicide, "Suicide" or generally self-destructivley spiteful effect? Hardmode: No Doomsday or Necropotence.
kamikazee pact

Asked this in a few recent threads but never got a reply:

I want to build a Dimir deck around control/stealing things (and definitely not mill). I was thinking Sygg with rogue/pirate/ninja cards that steal stuff, but it just seems like a slower and more diluted version of my Edric deck.

Has anyone any experience with Vela, and specifically: focused on the control and bounce aspects than combat damage creatures?

>Favorite "suicide"

Amassing counters on Ashling, the Pilgrim from turn 3 onward, and then igniting her for 30 damage to all parties + damage doubling effects to opponents. I died too, but they were more numerically in the negatives...

Also another "suicide" that turned into a win was an ultra-low-cmc deck while an opponent had forced fruition out and I had a card draw doubler... and just enough mana to play Lab Man last for the win.

What do you run Lyzolda in? I use her for steal and sac.

Glorifier only works if you're at an odd life total though.

easy to pull off with trading post or something

I wonder what the corrupted Gods used to look like before Bolas fucked them up

Less chitinous I imagine.

I know you want to steer away from mill, but I found The Scarab God to be the 'one' for me for a number of reasons:
1) He doesn't rely on other creatures hitting the yard (Lazav). It certainly helps and you can pull off some clever plays, but you're not SoL if you don't get anything from them. You pack your own stuff, put it in your own yard, and get them with Scarab.
2) Scarab is surprisingly versatile. You don't have to build all in mill, but having some cards that mill can help you. Nemesis of Reason and its ilk, Windfall, mass discard, these all hurt your opponents while giving you options at the same time.

His current price is pretty bullshit despite being a standard all-star, but he is fun. Just proxy him if you don't want to fully commit at first go.

>Scarab is surprisingly versatile.
This is the #1 reason I love Scarab God. He's not just a one trick commander. Like, he's something of a Graveyard commander but he laughs in the face of something as petty as a single Bojuka Bog. Maybe it denies him a favorite toy. Rest in peace? He can just play the Zombie Tribal or Mill Game. Eldrazi Titan mess with your mill day? Well, you've still got reanimator and zombie scry-and-drain. He gets better the more opponents you have (more total life loss inflicted, more yards to eternalize from) while still being fully potent right down to the end.

And you still have room for some non-germane packages like control or goodstuff.

I probably should have mentioned: There are two Scarab Gods in my group already.

I'm more interested in tricksy stuff that my faeries/rogues can do but trying to make it different than Edric.

Honestly, that's gonna be tough because "are evasive" and "do stuff when you hit" are pretty much the schticks for Faeries and Rogues.

I have absolutely no idea who I'd like to play in commander

is there a "how to pick a commander" image like pic related out there?

I don't know that there's an easy image, but I'm sure people here could help you out in a similar vein.

What kind of strategies do you enjoy? What stuff seems boring? Are there specific colors you enjoy more, or less? Are there certain cards or themes or combos you'd like to build around?

Yes, there is, but it's kinda old.
Helps give a little direction, but make sure to look up and compare alternatives for some of the ends.

People keep complaining that games are lasting too long and that they just want it to end so they let stuff resolve and blow up permanents that stop the game from being lost to combo.

If a game lasts too long then they're playing the wrong format.
Commander is literally fucking designed for painfully long games.

I'd say it's still possible for games to go "long".

When I say I like long games of Commander, I mean I like games that don't end with an infinite combo on turn 5. I like being able to play big bombs and make splashy plays, but I don't want to spend 3 hours playing "draw go" while I look for the one card in my deck that can end this ridiculous stalemate.

Repercussion + Blasphemous Act.

I don't care if I take 20-30 damage as long as everyone else takes more.

Learn to accept your role as archenemy and make your decks even better so as to crush all those who oppose you.

well I play/played Elves, Tron and Esper control in modern along with grixis delver, UW stoneblade, junk in legacy and UR delver/Tron in pauper. I'm most likely a johnny/timmy with a love for good flavor

honestly I like drawing cards, slamming a threat and riding it to a win. Elves and Tron were fun for the ramp aspect (Tron because slamming huge wincons gives me a giant timmy boner). All the rest I enjoyed because of how many options I had and decisions I got to make.

All the games of commander I've played and got mad at were the ones where the cards in my hand were useless and I didn't feel like I got to play because bad deckbuilding made it not function. Either because I just didn't draw ramp or didn't draw into answers/threats. I'm open to any colors but I'd definitely like green to be one of them. I want some damn consistency

So, I'd suggest limiting yourself to 2 colors for now, because that'll help you with the issue of cards feeling "Stuck" in your hand without you needing to drop much on fixing and manabase, but still giving you options. Sticking with green is another good option, because it's a very strong color in Commander.

The boring option would be to go U/G Goodstuff. If you just like playing big dumb shit and riding it to victory, I might suggest R/G; maybe Ruric Thar? Heavy on creatures, just playing mana dorks and big fat fatties and then playing Dudes: The Sidewaysing while Ruric bitch-slaps all those control players for 6 every time they fuck with your board.

Well, fuck it, I guess. Time to build some infinite combos.

Whats his endgame?

What is the most fun waifu commander?

Pic realted

:(

Want to make a monowhite deck, specifically one with Elesh Norn as my commander, but a buddy of mine who is much more experienced in EDH says monowhite is shit.

Can someone give me an explanation as to why or if its true?

to mirror gallery and rite of replication

No card draw, no ramp
It hurts user

cause you cant run 4 land taxes

Why is Scarab God so expensive right now?

Standard.

Are any of the precons worth buying? Also someone told.me this is the last set of precons, is that true?

Of the new ones?

Vampires is pretty mean
Cats is alright
Dragons has alotta good stuff
Wizards is the worst out of the box.

I know with Vampires you basically make the lions share of your purchase back if you sell the Teferi's Protection

looking at UG and RG commanders, I was thinking Kruphix/Rashmi or Rosheen/Wort

I'm thinking I want to cast a lot of spells and have some big dudes

How fun/viable is a Queen Marchesa pillowfort/politics deck?

I made the resident millfag cry today by Chord of Calling for LabMan in response to a massive Mind Grind. He's been playing the deck every weekend all year long and it was the first time his Mind Grind didn't get countered.

His eyes watered and he stood up for a bathroom break, but he refuses to play counterspells.

She can win so people won't get on your side unless they're your friends and teaming up with you against the other players at the table.
That's my experience with all "Group Hug"/"Politics" deck, if they're shit everyone is your ally because you're giving them more than you're getting. If they're competitive, nobody will let you do anything even if it benefits them.

I too play tron in modern and I also like to slam big dumb fatties and draw lots of cards. I've been putting together a Kruphix deck for the past couple weeks now and I've been having a blast playing with it.
Here's my list if you're interested: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kruphix-god-of-x-cost-spells/
The deck isn't finished (mainly just missing Seedborn Muse and Hinterland Harbor) and it isn't super competitively optimized or anything, but it's still a ton of fun. 10/10, would recommend.

>talks about shitting on mill, one of the weakest strats in EDH
>while also playing UGx, the objectively strongest color combo in EDH
I bet you feel real good right now, you've essentially beaten up a random grade schooler as an adult professional fighter.

He needs though love, you can't play the weakest strategy without counterspells and hand disruption and we're trying to grind it into his mind
The bullying being entertaining is an added benefit.

I admittedly have no experience with her, but it seems like Mardu colors would be the worst for pillowfort, seeing as how you have no counters to protect your shit from mass enchantment wipes. Like yeah, it'll be annoying at first but once someone drops a cyclonic rift or merciless eviction, it's lights out.

As long as you have a full grip, wipes don't usually matter much. Just play what you ended up drawing.

How do you store your decks anons? Been trying to figure something out now that I have too many decks for individual boxes to be practical

>I have too many decks for individual boxes to be practical
Don't. For my money, mass storage is a disaster waiting to happen.

Get the double ones.

What shitty playgroup hasn't house banned Labman yet?

I've been wondering what the x in UGx means, I've never heard people using it until recently and now im hearing it all the time

"give or take another color"

You have 3 conditional counters and a force spike and you have no excuse to ignore reb/pyroblast

Its always time to play Food Chain Prossh.

do you think exploration is worth a slot? or are ramp spells just better

Exploration is solid and it's not a wrong choice to include it, but it requires you to have lots of lands in hand to get value whereas Kodama's Reach and other ramp spells don't. And while we will eventually be drawing tons of cards and having lots of excess lands to play, at that point ramping becomes less and less relevant.

he can also just respond to the edrazi mill trigger since its not a replacement effect

Two or three decks per fat pack, is right, never put all your eggs on the same basket.

I'd like to build a rogue/thief themed deck with Vela as the commander. Ixalan actually bought yet another card to be paired with Deadeye Navigator for infinite combo.. and since it's a pirate, it fits the theme well.
Outside that how do Vela archetypes aim to win? Obviously there's a lot of unblockable attacks and card drawing bound to that. Are black damage spells essential?
Otherwise since this idea is more of a cutthroat themed one, I'm thinking of including graveyard control rather than counterspells. Deadeye Navigator actually could be most safe in the graveyard until the time was right to lay down the infinite combo.

kicked rite of replication on vela

Already on the list. Must admit I was surprised to see card like that even exist.

>Outside that how do Vela archetypes aim to win?
Eldrazi?

Same. I think instead of group hug you go threat politics. Stuff like Pernicious Deed, Gwafa Hazid, and Nevinryals Disk. "Work with me, or I'm gonna blow everything up" politics.

>I'd like to build a rogue/thief themed deck with Vela as the commander.

For what purpose?

>Deadeye Navigator actually could be most safe in the graveyard until the time was right to lay down the infinite combo.

Nice, food for scavenging ooze.

Hello commander chums, could I get some feedback on the below:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/esp-st/?cat=price&sort=

I want it to be "competitive" in that it's good against other competitive decks that don't run infinite combos. Our playgroups don't allow infinites but still run otherwise very strong decks. Thoughts on how to make this reasonably fun/interactive but also very much able to win?

Outdated chart, no 4C Leovold, also known as the best deck in legacy right now.

Is Experiment Kraj fun? Is it good for a low budget deck? Anyone got any spicy tech?

SYGG

NINJAS

Last as in latest, he's fucking retarded if he thinks WotC is going to stop the golden cash cow that is EDH precons

I have 14 decks and I went back to individual storage from having a few large ones. It's way better. Having to take out every single deck in order to pick one is also needlessly cumbersome.

Why are all the good pirates so fucking awful? That old lady pirate? Who is that supposed to please? Why isn’t it some gritty old rapist? Like, someone who looks like a pirate.
>inb4 contrarian defense force

because appealing to SJWs is incredibly low effort, and most others just really don't give a shit.

so apparently this bullshit is the new logo for the game.

I'm pretty mad we are not getting pirates that look like pirates. Even fucking Disney made better pirates.

FUCKING NUMALE MAGIC

THIS THIS THIS

Fuck off and make your own thread

seems good

One of the better legends legends.

Momir Vig is a better Simic commander

Selvala

>Sygg
>not superior Vela for burn wincon in Dimir
Smalltime

ultimate guard boulders and a dice bag that i though into a backpack. i used to store them in fat packs

Dragonlord Silumgar
Play all the steals.

>X = 72,000,000,000

Which is why he's 80 bucks.

honestly fuck that card, so tired of seeing it in every format

Oh wow what an original win con what a surprise

Sure.

Anyone else unable to log into Magic Cardmarket?

They updated their Terms & Conditions and now I can't get past accepting the updated terms, nor search for anything, nor even fucking log out.

>being euro
rofl