Should fantasy settings allow gay marriage?

Should fantasy settings allow gay marriage?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why wouldn't they?

No, because that's how you get zombie invasions.

depends on the setting

yes

short answer: no

long answer: no, because monstrous creatures breed faster then us and we need as many actual mating pairs as possible

No reason to not. Personally I don't usually write settings where it's allowed. Not because I have anything against homofags but because almost every society in human history outlawed it. Gay marriage as we understand it simply didn't exist in the world until the last few decades. Projecting it into a fantasy world feels like utopic thinking. It's out of place in a world where presumably other shitty aspects of human nature like totalitarianism and wanton violence are commonplace.

If it's a sci fi setting though then yeah it's legal.

Mine wouldn't, as they're based upon medieval history.

Deal with the damn Lich FIRST, then you can have all your gay weddings. Or straight weddings. Or robot weddings. Just put that Lich in a ditch.

Because the only society in history where it's the norm is contemporary Western society, which is going down the shitter at breakneck speeds? It's fantasy, you can do whatever you like, but "why would they?" is a more valid question than "why wouldn't they" unless you're being both culturally provincial and eurocentric.

I mean, I guess they can? Aren't there more pressing matters though? There was something about a lich doing something evil with skeletons, that seems like it should be looked into.

For medieval/fantasy games, it will strike me as a little strange if gay marriage is legal everywhere in the setting with nobody questioning it or opposed to it. On the other hand, I'm fine if some people in the setting are for it and others are against it, though I wouldn't want it to be a focus of the game simply because it cuts too close to real life politics.

>For medieval/fantasy games
As opposed to modern Europe and North America, where everyone's 100% enthusiastic about it?

If the fantasy setting has an equivalent of marriage, no reason not to.

Much better to have an arbitrary completely different thing that banned and is a hot topic in fantasy world as dictated by the church of a dominant god on the world.

In Fantasy Desert land where everyone worships the sun god, those who were born during a full moon are never allowed to speak in public or walk upon the ground with shoes.

Much better than projecting our worlds issues into an entirely different society.

Absolutely, with a reservation.
Fantasy settings are entirely governed by a system of orderly despotism.
If someone strong enough decides fags should get married, who is going to stop them? If a local dragon likes watching human males bone eachother and stumble through married life, and is willing to raze the countryside enough times for people to just go along with it, gay marriage can even be enforced.
That said, we either need someone who wants fags to get married for some reason to get strong enough to start kicking teeth in, or else a compelling reason to convince such a despot that yes, indeed, gay people getting married is a good idea that serves a particular end.

High mortality rate and nigh-constant strife creating societal emphasis on the family and production of children?

I'd say yes most of the time for a number of reasons.

obviously a historical fantasy or gritty world will make things like bigotry or restrictive cultural norms more prevalent, but for the most part in our society gay marriage is accepted, so it makes sense to allow it as default

also, in a world with tons of different races and mixed couple and all the other fantasy pressures on society, and a lack of abrahamic religions, I think it's more likely it would be accepted in world anyways.

I meant as opposed to some far flung sci-fi game with transhumanism stuff or other strange things. In that kind of game I can reasonably believe that NPCs might not care about gay vs straight anymore. Maybe they do still care, I'd be fine either way as a player.

I suppose in a modern setting I would find it strange if all the NPCs were gung ho for gay marriage.

What if you want to gay marry a lich?

nah it would still be prejudiced against simply because that's not how humans are supposed to work.

Also the fact that having kids is kind of important.

I mean sure, if that the fantasy setting doesn't mean they'd make it illegal.
Though, people who are gay aren't going to stop being gay if gay marriage is illegal.
They'd just not get married?
Seems like you're projecting a little here. It's a fantasy world, there's limitless possibilities.

Ya know that even in places without Abrahamic religions it was still banned, right? Or do you think China, Japan, pagan Europe, American Indians, and tribal Africa all had countless homosexual relationships until the Abrahamic faiths came along?

>History
>Fantasy
I'm not sure you understand the concept of Fantasy.

>If the fantasy setting has an equivalent of marriage, no reason not to.

This thread is full of reasons not to. Your example is nonsensical, but there are good reasons for the state to only give accolades to breeding couples

>but muh adoptions!

Yeah, because preying on their adopted kids or feeding them hormones for liberal virtue points is so admirable.

You do realize that banning gay marriage doesn't turn gay people straight.

Why do we need that? What if my Wizard doesn't want gays getting married? You're assuming a lot about the views of the people in this thread and forgetting where you are.

no but they can suck it up like the rest of us.

its either a mental illness or self-inflicted anyways, might as well do what you are living for anyways.

Something something the Thermian arguement.

All the reasons in this thread are essentially the same.
>Gays decreases population growth rate

Gays aren't going to be boosting that if they get married or not. This thread asked if Gay marriage should be legal.

If being Gay is illegal in the setting, then yes, it will be illegal. If being gay isn't, then marriage shouldn't be either.

I SAID SLAY THE LICH NOT LAY THE LICH!

its literally something races aren't supposed to do.

as a biological creature you want to pass your genes on, gay people don't do that.

that's all there is to it.

Should we ban everything that doesn't pass our genes on?
Or just things that make you feel uncomfortable.

Good news
Fantasy has this thing called "Magic"
The Lich is going to be making as many buttbabies as he wants and there's not a thing you can do about it UNTIL YOU SLAY THE DAMN LICH

Lumpy chairs are pretty uncomfortable, so we should ban those.

If inability to pass genes is the sole reason, then the hypothetical setting should ban monastics too. And wizard guilds. And (You).

I didn't say abrahamic religion was the only factor in it being banned, but it certainly was a factor in a lot of places.

What about the social obligation to occasionally attend parties where you don't know anybody, but everyone else seems to know each other?

>Because the only society in history where it's the norm is contemporary Western society
Read up on pre-Tang era China. Those were some gay dudes back then.

Humans also aren't supposed to go into space, or drive cars, or shitpost on Veeky Forums. Yet here we are doing all those things.

If you really want to stick to your autistic idea of ">muh biological purpose" go wrestle a bear. At least you'll be making the gene pool a bit cleaner.

You know that straight orientation is mental illness as well then - so yeah as other user kindly put it - "Fuck off back to the /pol/ you retarded america"

Depends on the setting

Though it would feel weird that gay marriage is allowed but ranpant racism against orcs, tieflings, undead, etc still exist

hey look a thermian argument.

plus liches aren't living, it would be like watching two rocks get it on.

no however with the low populations that humans obtain just have a kid you pervert.
exactly,

and wizards get laid all time, they can summon girls who don't care.

>blames Abrahamic religions

Your fedora is showing.

I can tell you're from reddit by the way you space your lines, but I'm going to humor you with a response. Stigma. If being gay is stigmatized (as it was throughout most of human history), and it's seen as immature not to marry someone of the opposite sex and produce offspring, you'll see a lot less buggery around (and you make a lot of assumptions about homosexuality being inherent and unavoidable that aren't actually backed up by science no matter how many times they claim they were born that way).

>Seems like you're projecting a little here. It's a fantasy world, there's limitless possibilities.

Funny how you assume anyone who disagrees with you is projecting, but that's a tenet of liberalism so I can't blame you for resorting to that base canard. Fantasy is not just "anything goes wish fulfillment yay elf futa polygamy", it's governed by a series of tropes and cliches that form the boundaries of the genre. For one, it's based on a romanticism of ancient times (and their mores) and a rejection of the modern world's ills, rampant faggotry among them. For another, a fantasy setting either suffers from constant strife that produces a culture of warriors and heroes, or is on the cusp of such an age. Look at it this way, we're not going to outbreed the orcs unless every womb is in service.

Fantasy inherently draws upon the desire to relive a past era.

I dont agree with it so mine wont
Take your bait and fuck off.

Also a lot of Celtic groups were gay as fuck. Men would preen like peacocks for the sexual attention of their sempais.

we are literally built to have kids man and women together.

no pseudoscience can change that.

does driving a car or going to space improve you or your kid's chances of having kids? well then go ahead.

I wouldn't be opposed to it in some places, but don't complain when your 200 people town dies out

Ah but the Lich can't destroy us all if he's too busy going "not tonight beefcake I've got a headache" to be practicing any dark arts. You could save the world by gay marrying that Lich!

Yes they will. Let's say, for example, the princess is a lesbian. She finds men disgusting. Let's also assume despite arguments to the contrary by other posters that regardless of circumstances she would be a lesbian and was born loving the pussy. Good for her, the kingdom still needs heirs, and the options are for a political marriage where she suffers her arranged husband putting a baby in her belly as women did for centuries, or she marries another woman and the kingdom collapses.

> If being gay isn't, then marriage shouldn't be either

Why reward opting out of the gene pool?

That's just uncomfortably awkward, so let's put that down as not ban-able, but still pretty uncomfortable.

Are you going to slay the fucking Lich or not, homo?

Kindly cite a spell that does that in DnD.

>Fantasy inherently draws upon the desire to relive a past era.

Fantasy inherently draws upon the desire to be a hero and slay mighty evils, or be evil and slay might heroes, or whatever.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy
You're definition is a common type of Fantasy. But a Fantasy world can be literally anything imaginable.

Magic babies. Next question.

"some gay dudes" or marriage between those of the same gender being acknowledged as fully equal to marriage between a man and a woman? Because we had "some gay dudes" everywhere, and even societies with "a lot of gay dudes" like Greece didn't have such a thing as gay marriage and would probably consider it an oxymoron.

depends entirely on the settings tone

thermian argument
NEXT!

You realize the dumb faux-psychoanalysis thing doesn't make your argument any better, right?

>does that scare you?
>does that make you feel uncomfortable?
>is that an emotional reaction because as a liberal that's how I decide all of my conflicts?
>are you projecting?
>if you hate gays are you a SECRET HOMO?
>if you hate people who you know have vowed to destroy your country is it because you're ignorant?

You could just ask for the greentext, user

Should fantasy settings allow polygamous marriages?

Should fantasy settings allow divorce?

>anything I don't agree with is /pol/!

But what if you end up practicing the dark arts?

>Playing D&D
Kindly stop wasting everyone's time and slay the goddamn Lich.

No. When you actually have to deal with real threats and consequences to your actions then the deranged whimsy of a minuscule population of freaks is of no importance whatsoever.

>no however with the low populations that humans obtain just have a kid you pervert.
no

Magic babies. Bam. You got your heir, just like all the fancy prancy elves.

>Should fantasy settings allow polygamous marriages?
I don't see why not. Polygyny is more or less the biological norm for humans.

>Divorce
Entirely depends on the setting and social circumstance. In Catholic Europe there was no divorce, only annulment (though in the case of noble families they'd always 'conveniently' 'discover' that they were cosanguinous or something). In Islam on the other hand a man could divorce one of his wife at the drop of a hat.

How is allowing them to perform a ceremony a reward?

>Why reward opting out of the gene pool?
Good idea, lets publicly ridicule all of the soldiers that join the military and get killed before providing an heir for opting out of the gene pool.

ok

have fun not getting married and exiled for not helping us fight back the darkness.

>/pol/posters literally crying about “liberalism”
>i-i’m not from pol, guise, I swear

>I AM NOT POL

Why are you assuming that it's a high-magic setting that has spells that don't even exist in canon in most games? That's not just a thermian argument, there, it's a thermian argument that assumes a utopian setting in which magic can create sentient life with no effort. It's an intellectual bridge to nowhere.

they where boosting the general fitness, as in they wanted to have kids and where fighting for that ability.

if you fight for gay marriage you aren't fighting for your genes.

At this point, we're willing to just give it to these bizarrely competent idiots so they'll remember the damn lich.

I have no idea how this didn't get posted. Honestly Veeky Forums, I'm disappointed

>But what if you end up practicing the dark arts?
Simple, one must be too busy romancing the Lich so as to not fall prey to the temptation.

It's your setting, man. But I know that it would annoy me, particularly if it was made a plot point, since it would feel like shoehorning contemporary politics into the fantasy world, and I don't care for such things at all.

No. It was banned in a lot of places long before Abrahamic faiths even existed or spread outside of the Middle East. You are just fucking retarded and think hatred for homosexuals started out as a religious thing when in reality, most people just don't like it naturally.

Why wouldn't it be a high-magic setting? If you've got things raised from the dead, popping out another human should be a cakewalk.

Those soldiers defended the gene pool. Military is probably a good option for closeted gays that want to be around a lot of their own sex and have an out from reproducing. Sacred Band of Thebes, anyone?

>How is allowing them to perform a ceremony a reward?

A sacred ceremony between a man and a woman? You mean that? Because it's not for them.

>but religion!

Marriages are either religious or state-sanctioned. Unless it's a wholly meaningless civil ceremony, you're either rewarding opting out of the gene pool or demanding the gods sanction it.

Because we've figured it out. The solution is to gay marry the Lich.

>"/pol/, /pol/ everywhere! Anyone I don't like is /pol/!"
>misusing the word "literally" and projecting distress on others when it isn't there

How to spot a liberal losing an argument in two easy steps.

Genius

Except that it isn't. In magical settings, sentient life has special, spiritual significance, the existence of the soul is taken as fact. Popping out another human involves putting a soul in there, and it has to come from somewhere, whereas zombies are much simpler constructs and a lich has a corrupted remainder of its living soul powering it.

This thread is so hilarious, a fantasy setting allows for whatever the hell you want. End of story.
>Robot Butlers.
Yes
>Dragons and Princesses.
Yes
>Magic and Madness
Yes
>Physics defying worlds.
Yes
>Gay Marriage.
Yes

thermian argument

Depends on the setting. Seriously, that's the only answer.

So what you're saying is that we just need to do figure out how to shove souls into things. Done.

Which means?

Uh... you know that people can scroll up and read your previous posts, right?

yeah

that's a bad idea in so many ways

you have to get the souls in some way

Some catch word he can use rather than address your argument.

This. This shit right here. Fucking Taoists thought it was gross because a man couldn't recharge a man's natural energy and the same went for two women, but we have a generation full of retards like who might backpedal from their own words when they realize how stupid they sound, but at heart blame their parents and Christianity for everything bad in the world. It's...what would be the Greek term for a fear of one's own culture or people?

>"The Thermian Argument is a logical fallacy that occurs when a question or criticism concerning the political statements that can be gleaned from a game or other work of art are countered instead with an in-universe explanation for why the thing being criticized is actually valid. If someone asks “Why do the girls in this game wear skimpy, titillating armor while the men wear realistic and reasonable armor?” and you counter with the girls in this universe are actually more powerful with less clothes on and thus it's okay, then you've committed the Thermian Argument."

Love how this guy keeps acting like that reply means anything.

>force hetero marry fags! force people to have children or to be exiled!
>not /pol/

Well, it crossed over with Slayers, and Slayers is the typical D&D campaign. Checks out.

Go get subsumed by Muslims you Eurotrash.

>straight orientation is mental illness

I'd love to hear you defend the natural state of human beings being "mental illness".

Argument from fallacy